What would you give up to get Luck in next years draft

jkx2

IF Luck looks as good next year under the new coaches as he did under Harbaugh, and...

IF there are no other decent prospects or young FAs available, and...

IF our defensive picks start playing well (Troup, Carrington, Moats, Dareus, Williams, etc), and...

IF the rest of our defensive veterans look set (Merriman, Poz, Whitner, etc), and...

IF our offensive line starts to come together, and...

IF Spiller and the rest of our young weapons start producing, then...

I might possibly think about considering trading a whole lot away for Andrew Luck.

Otherwise, if our picks are playing well and we're making good steps towards getting better, Id rather trust Buddy with a whole bunch of picks than mortgage the entire future of the franchise on one guy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would line up all of my players and have a board with all of my draft picks for the next ten years, a pile of cash, and trays full of steaming lobster and porterhouse steaks in a banquet room.

I would then invite the GM of the team that holds the #1 overall pick over, open the door, smile widely, and say, "Choose..."

I think Seattle will be taking one of them too.... Barkley or Luck.... I really don't see the bills being in the top 5 again next year.... I think they will be picking in the teens.... They will have to probably give up the 2012 1st 2nd and 4th and the 2013 1st and 3rd.... I think that gets them into the top spot for luck.... If they really wanted him...

Not saying thy should. I just think that's what it would take....

With filling many holes in the defense in this years draft. Lets say a the team with the #1 pick in the 2012 draft has a QB already and wants to trade out. What would you give up to get Luck who looks to be the most gifted QB coming out of college since Elway. Would you go so far as Ditka did to get Ricky Williams? I think I would have to give it serious thought.

Ditka

With filling many holes in the defense in this years draft. Lets say a the team with the #1 pick in the 2012 draft has a QB already and wants to trade out. What would you give up to get Luck who looks to be the most gifted QB coming out of college since Elway. Would you go so far as Ditka did to get Ricky Williams? I think I would have to give it serious thought.

Such an awesome post. Maybe even a thread of the year candidate.... Sigh

To put this in perspective, here is what the Giants gave up to move up 3 spots in 2004(even though the Cahrgers drafted Manning 1st, the Giants drafted Rivers 4th and then they made the trade).

San Diego gave up the 1st overall pick

Giants gave up the 4th overall pick in 2004, a 3rd round pick in 2004, a 1st round pick(#12 overall) in 2005 and a 5th round pick in 2005.

Once again, this was to move up 3 slots.

Some of the proposals earlier in this thread aren't even close, in terms of what if would take to move up to #1 overall from the 8-15 slots.

Depends on where we pick. If we pick at around 8-12. A second rounder and a fourth could probably do it. If we are picking mid round, we would probably need to give up our 3rd that year and 1st next. But I would DO IT INSTANTLY. I have a feeling though that, that 1st pick will be a HOT commodity and the team moving up will probably need to give up more than the norm. I still would do it for Luck. But I would love to have Barkley as well.

Dukey,

According to the "draft value charts" , apparently that is nowhere near enough? much less "more than the norm"?

Put me in the camp that says, "I don't know yet." Fitz is only 27 -- what if he's more than adequate this season, and there is another piece out there in the draft that could really strengthen another part of the team?

Fitz really could be a 5-7 year QB for the Bills if his development continues where it left off last year. Some of you cringe at the thought, but it could happen.

Put me in the camp that says, "I don't know yet." Fitz is only 27 -- what if he's more than adequate this season, and there is another piece out there in the draft that could really strengthen another part of the team?

Fitz really could be a 5-7 year QB for the Bills if his development continues where it left off last year. Some of you cringe at the thought, but it could happen.

Just because he won't be the 10 year franchise guy, doesn't mean you can't get 5 solid years out of him.

At this point you're gonna either have to hope an Aaron Rodgers type falls to you in the first, you groom a second/third round guy, or you pick up a free agent. The franchise guys are all gonna go top 10, and maybe top 5. Do we really want the Bills to be drafting there? And just because people here would give up an entire draft for a player, I'll pretty much guarantee the Bills won't.

So again, at this point you're gonna have to give the reigns to Fitz for probably at least the next 3 seasons and maybe 4 in order to draft and develop the next QB. Because at this point, if the QB they pick up is in the draft, he'll need a couple of years to learn. Fitz may not be great, but he's gonna be better than most any rookie they could pick up for the first season, Luck included.

The last thing we want to do is draft another 1st round QB, and then put him in primetime too quickly. Look how well that worked out for us last time.

Unless Levi Brown miraculously develops into a stud.

I'm not saying that I would want this, but what if the NFL loses the whole season to the lockout and labor issues? What then? Would the draft next year (assuming there would be one) have the same order that we had this year? If so, we would have a great shot at Luck, especially since the two teams ahead of us don't need QB's. Too many assumptions here, but it is an interesting thought.

Nothing with Landry Jones and Matt Barkley also coming out next year. The 2012 qb class looks to be 100x's better than this years

LOL, I love that this was starting a few weeks ago and is really starting to take off.

"Next year's QBs are way better"

-TBD Posters, 2011..

-and 2010...

-and 2009...

-and 2008...

Depends...

Will Luck's junior season be as good as his sophomore season was? Can Stanford's new coaching staff improve him even more, or will he regress?

Will he be healthy? (The Stanford O-line that protected him so well last season is mostly gone.)

Will we need a QB as desperately as you and some others seem to believe we will, or will Fitz improve even more, given a full compliment of OTAs, training camp, and pre-season as the pre-ordained starter, more time with the coaching staff, and an improved and more experienced receivers corps, O-line, and running game?

How will Luck compare to guys like Landry Jones and others that will also be available in the 2012 draft? Where will the Bills be in the draft order without any moves?

Lot's of questions need answering before we start down this silly Andrew Luck road once again - but right now, I'd probably give up nothing and just stay put.

Edited by The Senator