Round 3 (Pick #68): LB Kelvin Sheppard - LSU

Beerball

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very pleased they have made such a commitment to the defense in this draft.

+! for all defense for the 1st 3 picks!

Now OT & TE please

The ESPN guys said in as gentle a way as possible that Houston is lazy on the field. If that's true, I'm glad they took a guy that puts out max effort and can be a leader instead.

+1

alot of teams that needed a rush end passed on him mare tha once! Including the genious Belicheat.

This is a huge statement. These are guys who played in the big time and are accustomed to success. Don't tell me that's meaningless.

What's interesting is that they drafted the small school guys (Troup/Carrington/Moats) in the "bridge" year and are bringing more experience for year 2. Makes a lot of sense.

I just read the links. I'm definitely pumped that we drafted him. Some say he's a 4th rounder, some said 2nd or 3rd. I could care less. He's a passionate team leader that loves the contact and loves to "thump". I think we just landed a 10 year starting ILB vocal team leader.

We drafted 3 guys that are part of winning programs. Hopefully they bring that passion of winning to our ball club. Again, great job buddy, I couldnt be happier about our draft so far. A DL, LB and DB that will hopefully be starting for us throughout the next decade. Get fired up for a defense!

What's interesting is that they drafted the small school guys (Troup/Carrington/Moats) in the "bridge" year and are bringing more experience for year 2. Makes a lot of sense.

They're bringing in a culture of winning. Almost seems like they know what they're doing. Scary.

Edited by eball

OK guys, here's what I don't want to see: a lot of whinging and teeth-gnashing about "we coulda had him" on TBD if Mallet steps in for NE and plays great.

Here's why:

1) system, system, system. Belicheck has a system that allowed Matt Cassel to win just like Tom Brady. "nuff said.

2) protection, protection, protection. B'lo QB have to have eyes in the back of their head and be able to run for their life. Brady typically has time to order Jimmy Johns, have it delivered, and eat it

3) Shape up or Ship out. Belicheck stocks QBs like trout in a pond. If they don't grow to his satisfaction, he culls them. Mallet will get the message. Plus, he'll come in as the backup of Mr. Superstar.

If the Bills drafted Mallet, he wouldn't become the same QB b'cause he wouldn't have a system or protection that suits him so well. He'd ride into town w/ the expectation of being The Man in just a year or two, and it would go to his head.

GO BILLS!

This is the most hilarious post of the week! Already making excuses and he hasnt even been fitted for his uniform yet.

Who says the Patriots aren't in our heads. :wallbash:

I'm not sure about this, but I'd imagine that a coaching staff who works a full week with these players, and then sees them play in the game at the end of that week, have a much better grasp of the potential of that player than scouts watching a few games and tapes on that same player (which the coaching staff has access to as well). Gailey coached Sheppard for the Senior Bowl and glowed about him. We needed a run stuffing inside 3-4 backer as much as anything after the Dareus pick. You know for sure that Gailey had a huge influence on this pick so I have a great feeling that Sheppard has the talent and skill and personality to be a solid starter in this league. The fact Gailey had him at the Senior Bowl is probably the most important element of this pick. I like it.

I'm not sure about this, but I'd imagine that a coaching staff who works a full week with these players, and then sees them play in the game at the end of that week, have a much better grasp of the potential of that player than scouts watching a few games and tapes on that same player (which the coaching staff has access to as well). Gailey coached Sheppard for the Senior Bowl and glowed about him. We needed a run stuffing inside 3-4 backer as much as anything after the Dareus pick. You know for sure that Gailey had a huge influence on this pick so I have a great feeling that Sheppard has the talent and skill and personality to be a solid starter in this league. The fact Gailey had him at the Senior Bowl is probably the most important element of this pick. I like it.

If he can actually run down hill, shed a blocker, and make a play, then he's a big upgrade.

There are no franchise QBs remaining in this draft (and it's questionable if there were any to begin with). Regardless, this team had far bigger needs than QB and has been addressing them. Hopefully they will continue to do that by drafting a TE, OT and more guys on D.

Let's see how Fitz does this year and reevaluate the QB need in 2012.

I swear sometime it's like the Fitz police around here...The original comment was a generic comment about the difficulty of finding Franchise QB's late in the Draft...That's all...It was in response to yet another post about how QB's, like Brady, are found late in the Draft...Which is actually about as rare as it gets in the NFL...That's all...I never said the Bills should have Drafted a QB, I never mentioned Fitz, or that they should have addressed QB early...I'm thrilled with the Draft so far...It helps to read back and see what the context of a Post is about... B-)

Pat Williams was a UDFA. Ergo, you can find All Pro caliber DT's without spending draft picks on them. It goes for every position.

Well 1st off the Post was in response to finding a Franchise QB because once again someone brought up Brady like it happens all the time...It doesn't...NFL Network just had a 3 Part series on drafting QB's and the vast majority of Starting QB's come from earlier in the Draft, and the likelihood of finding one goes down with every Round...8 out of the 12 Playoff Teams from 2010 had a QB who was Drafted in the 1st round, another was drafted in the high 2nd, and the two Teams who finished with 10 wins and missed the playoffs have 1st Round QB's...Considering Franchise QB's, it's FAR more rare to find one late than it is to find a Starting DT late...It's not the same for every Position when comparing it to Franchise QB's...It's more rare to find a late Round or Undrafted Franchise QB than it is to find a late Round or Undrafted Position Player...That's just the way it is...You can try to do it anyway you want...But if you want a Franchise QB the odds say Draft one earlier...Period...End of story... B-)

This is a huge statement. These are guys who played in the big time and are accustomed to success. Don't tell me that's meaningless.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all 3 have been starters on teams that played in the bcs championship.

Its exactly what we needed the most, a solid run stuffing, tough inside linebacker who can tackle. Not sure he will be a good or great player but it was the most important thing we needed, IMO. With Dareus, Williams, and Shepard, DE/DT, CB, ILB, we just did what we needed to do. Lets hope they all turn into solid players. I'm on board with this draft. Nothing stupid, needs taken care of, one stud player. They all played at big schools against top competition. All three are leaders. All are physical.

:thumbsup:

I'm diggin' this draft thus far.... a rare occurrence in recent years..

Sheppard said he's looking forward to lighting a fire under Marcell Dareus, the Bills' first-round pick.

"I see we got big Marcell in front of me and I'm going to try to get his big butt fired up before those games so I can keep those linemen off me," he said. :thumbsup:

Buffalo News Article on Sheppard

We need more players with this kind of smack ... I like him already

"After being down at the Senior Bowl and having that contact with the coaches once I stepped in the door everyone was like, 'Shepp, what's up man?'" Sheppard said. "Just the contact, the good feeling, the good vibe I got on the visit, all the arrows pointed toward the Buffalo Bills. You never know how the draft goes and I'm just thankful for the opportunity."

Wow! How important was our staff coaching the Senior Bowl?? It seemes like a gift from the Football Gods! We hoped that rare experience would give us a 'leg up' on some of the draft possibilities and that's exactly what happened -Gailey stating the negatives about his lateral pursuit were unfounded.

McShay believes he'll be our starting ILB "very, VERY soon"!

Woo Hoo!

I don't recall how the staffs were selected/appointed for Senior Bowl duties. Can someone fill me in?