Round 3 (Pick #68): LB Kelvin Sheppard - LSU

Beerball

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least with Mallett to the Patriots we won't know if it was a mistake to pass on him for a couple years. If he went to another team and started right away and succeeded it would be more frustrating. Sheppard should easily outperform him this year unless Brady gets hurt :), so we can't really hate this pick for a few years until we have forgotten about it mostly. I will admit I kind of wanted Claussen in the second last year, so I will trust Buddy, and love the improvements to our front defense.

I hope we can find a good RT somewhere and even if Fitz is our guy, we need a backup veteran now.

Houston biggerand better stats. Sheppard a backup. Was 13th ranked LB by osme. Looks too small to me. Not a wide guy thats for sure.

Don't like pick!

There are so many intangibles that we don't know about that these guys evaluate. They talk with all these guys. Obviously, they saw something they like. I hear this guy was a team leader. The Bills need that type.

The ESPN guys said in as gentle a way as possible that Houston is lazy on the field. If that's true, I'm glad they took a guy that puts out max effort and can be a leader instead.

Mayock pretty much said the same thing. Good motor, doesn't always use it.

Good QB's come out every year, Brady was a 6th round pick right? Regardless, the O had some ability and if we get a solid tackle they should be able to put up points. The defense was the worst so even if we had the reincarnation of Jim Kelly, if the D doesn't stop anyone, it just doesn't matter! I am liking this draft so far!

There are so many intangibles that we don't know about that these guys evaluate. They talk with all these guys. Obviously, they saw something they like. I hear this guy was a team leader. The Bills need that type.

Need that type and draft that type. Gailey said as much last year. He want's 3-4 year guys who were team leaders and captains.

Best wishes, Kelvin! Welcome to the Buffalo Bills!

I was hoping we could land Mark Herzlich also - he was really highly touted until he got sick - but, if he's better, and gets back to where he was, he'd be a steal in the mid rounds. As for our draft, so far our defense is getting younger - and we've got potential leaders in each of the three tiers of the defense, that will be together for years to come. McKelvin is young, K. Williams will be around for another five years or so, Carrington and Troupe are pups, and Moats, Coleman, Batten are young. This D will have time to grow together and develop its own IDENTITY and Character. Yeah!

Good QB's come out every year, Brady was a 6th round pick right?

Seriously? You know the odds of finding a Tom Brady caliber QB in the 6th Round? Let's see there's Brady, then there's... :unsure:

The truth is the odds of finding a Franchise QB decrease with every Round that goes by...That's fact...Not saying you can't find one late...Just saying the odds are REALLY against it... B-)

Great draft buddy. This is painful trying to pay attention to the draft at work. 3 picks. 3 starters (Williams, may not start off the bat, but he'll get lots of time when McGee gets hurt). Sheppard is good in coverage too. A bit short, but he can cover TEs better than our current ilbs

Seriously? You know the odds of finding a Tom Brady caliber QB in the 6th Round? Let's see there's Brady, then there's... :unsure:

The truth is the odds of finding a Franchise QB decrease with every Round that goes by...That's fact...Not saying you can't find one late...Just saying the odds are REALLY against it... B-)

Pat Williams was a UDFA. Ergo, you can find All Pro caliber DT's without spending draft picks on them. It goes for every position.

There are no franchise QBs remaining in this draft (and it's questionable if there were any to begin with). Regardless, this team had far bigger needs than QB and has been addressing them. Hopefully they will continue to do that by drafting a TE, OT and more guys on D.

Let's see how Fitz does this year and reevaluate the QB need in 2012.

Edited by KD in CT

Sorry you didn't like him in the Sugar Bowl, but he was too good a talent to pass on in the third round to me. New England just took him, so I guess we will find out.

I like us getting three straight good defensive guys, and these three players will help this team, but I don't think we got the BPA in round 3 like we did in round 1.

OK guys, here's what I don't want to see: a lot of whinging and teeth-gnashing about "we coulda had him" on TBD if Mallet steps in for NE and plays great.

Here's why:

1) system, system, system. Belicheck has a system that allowed Matt Cassel to win just like Tom Brady. "nuff said.

2) protection, protection, protection. B'lo QB have to have eyes in the back of their head and be able to run for their life. Brady typically has time to order Jimmy Johns, have it delivered, and eat it

3) Shape up or Ship out. Belicheck stocks QBs like trout in a pond. If they don't grow to his satisfaction, he culls them. Mallet will get the message. Plus, he'll come in as the backup of Mr. Superstar.

If the Bills drafted Mallet, he wouldn't become the same QB b'cause he wouldn't have a system or protection that suits him so well. He'd ride into town w/ the expectation of being The Man in just a year or two, and it would go to his head.

GO BILLS!

Kelvin Sheppard will not be dragged 5 yards down the field like another ILB on this team.

If Sheppard pans out to his full potential he will end up being a team captain and elevate the Defense.

Worse case he becomes a tacking machine, dude will clean up any ball carriers that get through.

We drafted a guy that likes to be a team leader. We need to draft players like this, leadership has been lacking on this team for a long time.

I think that all these combine tests get overblown, lets focus on consistent production on the field in the game of football. This guy was first team all SEC[/b} and as I said he was a leader on LSU.

Reminds me of Talley but he will play inside.

I like this draft. All three of these guys project as starters at some point in the near future. Yes I know our defense sucks but maybe not for long.

Its exactly what we needed the most, a solid run stuffing, tough inside linebacker who can tackle. Not sure he will be a good or great player but it was the most important thing we needed, IMO. With Dareus, Williams, and Shepard, DE/DT, CB, ILB, we just did what we needed to do. Lets hope they all turn into solid players. I'm on board with this draft. Nothing stupid, needs taken care of, one stud player. They all played at big schools against top competition. All three are leaders. All are physical.

This is a huge statement. These are guys who played in the big time and are accustomed to success. Don't tell me that's meaningless.