A Few Scattered Thoughts About The Draft

1) Nice pick Mr. Nix!!!

2) Imo, teams will be beating down the door to trade up. PLEASE don't do it unless it includes a #1 in 2012!!!

3) Blast away, but I am hoping that they take Mallett. I would have to think about it to figure out if I ever wanted to see the Bills draft someone THIS much. If he busts out or smokes crack, what will it cost them? Peanuts, and he has a chance imho to be an all time great.

4) I hope they find a way to draft John Moffitt. We are thin at OG by any measure, and this kid can block (again, imho).

5) I won't be THAT pissed off if they select Bowers, but I am not high on him at all. In fact, I hope that the patsies take him to be honest.

6) We have probably not been in a good situation coming into round 2 since 2001, and I think that today is a much better place.

7) I hope that all of you are in the same happy state of mind that I am. Bickering aside, we really are just a great bunch of fans. Thanks SDS.

8) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Nice pick Mr. Nix!!!

2) Imo, teams will be beating down the door to trade up. PLEASE don't do it unless it includes a #1 in 2012!!!

3) Blast away, but I am hoping that they take Mallett. I would have to think about it to figure out if I ever wanted to see the Bills draft someone THIS much. If he busts out or smokes crack, what will it cost them? Peanuts, and he has a chance imho to be an all time great.

4) I hope they find a way to draft John Moffitt. We are thin at OG by any measure, and this kid can block (again, imho).

5) I won't be THAT pissed off if they select Bowers, but I am not high on him at all. In fact, I hope that the patsies take him to be honest.

6) We have probably not been in a good situation coming into round 2 since 2001, and I think that today is a much better place.

7) I hope that all of you are in the same happy state of mind that I am. Bickering aside, we really are just a great bunch of fans. Thanks SDS.

Tough call with Mallett. I would not be opposed to this pick but there will be a guy available that you could pick & they could be an immediate starter from day one on this team with their 2nd. Tough to pass that up too.

1) Nice pick Mr. Nix!!!

I would like to see the Bills take Bowers or the TE from ND or a an LB that brings it. A CB is always a good choice.

As you know, I am not sure about Mallett but he did work out with Dareus so this is interesting. I posted a video clip in another thread.

1) Nice pick Mr. Nix!!!

Good to see you happy post-draft (for a change :) )

There a lot of options here and it will be interesting to see which direction the FO goes. IMHO, the front four are set and we should not draft Bowers. Here is who I think we should choose from:

- Kyle Rudolph TE

- Houston, (listed as a DE, I thought he can play OLB)

- Kaepernick, QB

- Ijalana, G

My preference: Jabaal Sheard. Wanny knows him from Pittsburgh, and the guy is a passrushing beast.

I like Mallet, I really do. But as I've said Bill, with a guy like that you're one weak offensive lineman (or one injury along the line) away from absolute disaster. Guys like him have difficulty succeeding in the modern NFL.

My preference: Jabaal Sheard. Wanny knows him from Pittsburgh, and the guy is a passrushing beast.

I like Mallet, I really do. But as I've said Bill, with a guy like that you're one weak offensive lineman (or one injury along the line) away from absolute disaster. Guys like him have difficulty succeeding in the modern NFL.

I like Greg Romeus from PItt but in the 3rd round.

Tough call with Mallett. I would not be opposed to this pick but there will be a guy available that you could pick & they could be an immediate starter from day one on this team with their 2nd. Tough to pass that up too.

The fans got their instant gratification pick (and a good one) already. Everyone knows this team still isn't likely to do much this season, too much reconstructive surgery to do after more than 10 years of bad early draft picks. The Bills ARE going to need a QB if they are going to be competitive someday. Fitz is a trooper, but just doesn't have the talent to be more than a stop gap. I don't know enough to have an informed opinion on Mallet, but if Nix thinks Mallet even could be the real deal they would be crazy not to take him now. My $0.02 anyway.

And you and I have been on the same page wrt this for years. He will not step in and unseat Fitz. The Bills would have this year and next to build a strong OL.

The kid can throw like nobody I have seen for many years. I just can't see passing him up but remember.....I thought Rob Johnson would be great and I openly admit this. :oops:

Mallet is an interesting option. I'm fairly certain that had he been drafted in the top 5 he'd have been the next Ryan Leaf. However, this experience could motivate him to stop being an idiot and making horrendous choices and start doing the work necessary to be great. We all know he has the tools.

Dalton is another option if they want QB. He doesn't have the ceiling that Mallet has but he's a much safer pick. I don't think he'll be great but he's probably the safest QB in the draft, the one who doesn't have much of a chance of totally busting out. He'll be solid to very good - but nothing more.

Personally, after a decade of botched picks I'd prefer the solid route over the shoot for the sky and miss with Mallet route if they choose to go with a QB. This is the same reason I don't want Bowers - too much risk associated with the guy.

All that being said - I don't want a QB. I'm fine with Fitz this year. Give me Ayers or Rudolph. I was really hoping Carimi fell to us but he didn't and I'm not excited about the OT sitting there for us with the 34th pick though I guess I wouldn't mind Orlando Franklin in that spot. Bottom line is the Bills have so many needs and there are so many quality players left they can fill another gaping hole, which should make us all excited about this evening.

Edited by MDH

Good to see you happy post-draft (for a change :) )

There a lot of options here and it will be interesting to see which direction the FO goes. IMHO, the front four are set and we should not draft Bowers. Here is who I think we should choose from:

- Kyle Rudolph TE

- Houston, (listed as a DE, I thought he can play OLB)

- Kaepernick, QB

- Ijalana, G

Houston had positive drug test at combine, if you're not smart enough to stop smoking before the combine you're not smart enough to be drafted IMO.

I don't think they go QB the rest of this draft. Buddy said there were only 2 QBs he viewed as franchise types, what's the point of drafting one if he has a low ceiling?

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

There's a reason a guy with so much talent dropped out of the 1st round when four other QBs were taken.

Sure there is. He was arrested once and there were drug rumors.

That said, we have used the #11, #8, and other early first round picks of a draft on marginal at best players. Whitner really had no chance for greatness. Neither did McKelvin. And, most of our 2nd round picks also sucked. This kid has an arm comparable to that of Marino.

At this point, what do we really have to lose by taking a chance?

This day is actually going to be more interesting than the first.

I want starters. They need starters. That being said, I would pass on the QBs.

Man, I think other than a franchise QB you should ALWAYS draft in the first two rounds with the intention that these guys will start day one.

Everyone knows this team still isn't likely to do much this season, too much reconstructive surgery to do after more than 10 years of bad early draft picks.

Have to disagree with your assessment of the team. They won 4 games, but there were several in which a player or two could have meant a victory. They came within a dropped pass of beating the eventual AFC superbowl representative.

If they can stay healthy, they'll have a formidable receiving corp - the best in years. What was one of the weaker links a few short years ago, has become a strength. This is amazing, especially considering that player (Hardy) they chose to strengthen the receiving ranks never panned out. Instead, the 7th rounder from the same year (Stevie Johnson) looks like the real deal, at the very least a very good # 2. Then there's pleasant surprises like (never drop a pass) David Nelson and Donald Jones. These are the type of role player that playoff teams have poplulating their rosters. If Easley turns out ot be as good as his early reviews suggest, we've got one hell of a receiving line-up to compliment Lee Evan's experience and talent.

The Bills have a good running game with Jackson and Spiller, who should develop further.

The O-line should be good, though not great. Wood will move to center, and Levitre is now a veteran. The coaching staff has confidence in Bell at tackle. There's still Wang, Wrotto, Hangartner (who they should move to guard)on the O-line. They'll probably address this unit through FA or he draft, though a draft O-lineman won't contribute much in 2011. Fitzpatrick's heady play will make the O-line better than they are.

With the exception of a standout TE, the O is fairly solid. Maybe not great, but certainly not pathetic either. The offense has the potential to score points and control the ball. With the addition of Dareus to the defense, many of the run-stopping issues may be on the way to being resolved. A little more pressure on the opposing QBs will be a nice change as well.

After a full season in Gailey's system, and with the continued growth of players already on the roster, and the new additions, if they avoid the injury bug, this team could well be better than .500, and fighting for a wildcard spot.

The biggest obstacle for the Bills is the strength of the AFC East division. The Patriots aren't going away anytime soon, and the Jets are incredibly confident. The Bills can win games and I don't see them as being in the ealy stages of "rebuilding". IF they can somehow be at least 3-3 in the division, they'll have a chance to make the playoffs. RIght now, that's a bif "if". But you never know - the Jets and/or Pats could have a rash of unexpected injuries, sabatoging their effectiveness. If I'm Gailey, I'm spending 90% of my strategic efforts figuring out how to beat the Pats and Jets.

If only they could be in the NFC West!

Edited by DML2005

I feel about Bowers the way you do about Mallett. I want him. I do not want skill position guys. I want some people who can start in September.

I am feelin' ya lol! Mallett has a chance to be in the Hall of Fame imo. He could also very easily bust out, and I am fully at peace with this.

Bro, he makes throws that I don't remember seeing. Coach Saban said that he makes 3 or 4 throws per game that nobody else at all can make.

I do hope that one of us gets our wish and that it works out right. :thumbsup:

In any event. let's keep our fingers crossed that they don't do something idiotic, ya know?

Edited by Bill from NYC

Houston had positive drug test at combine, if you're not smart enough to stop smoking before the combine you're not smart enough to be drafted IMO.

I don't think they go QB the rest of this draft. Buddy said there were only 2 QBs he viewed as franchise types, what's the point of drafting one if he has a low ceiling?

So did Percy Harvin

At this point, what do we really have to lose by taking a chance?

The ability of getting an immediate upgrade at LB, TE or OL. Taking him there means the team doesn't get stronger at positions of need where there are very good guys still on the board.

I might have been on board with Mallet at this spot before the missed meeting with the Panthers fiasco. He knew he was under major scrutiny and yet still pulls this stunt after partying the night before. That shows me he's not mature enough to trust at this point in his life. It reminds me of when I was 17 and I'd call in and quit my job (if I called at all) to go hang out with friends or go to a concert. I did this countless times - I wouldn't have trusted me back then with any real responsibility and I don't trust Mallet now.

I might be reading the guy wrong, perhaps he's ready to mature and take on the responsibility of being an NFL QB - but I don't think he's worth the risk.

I'm still not sold on Mallett. There's a reason a guy with so much talent dropped out of the 1st round when four other QBs were taken.

Remember Dan Marino, I am not saying Mallet is Marino, but sometimes guys fall because of BS.

I honestly don’t see this team drafting Mallet, sorry guys. Gailey has repeatedly stated he wants mobile QBs. That has to rule out Ryan “Cement Shoes” Mallet. Im also no convinced that Gailey is a big TE guy, which may lower Rudolph on the board. Im not sure who this pick will be, but like the OP said, I would love to swing a 2012 1st + out of it.

The ability of getting an immediate upgrade at LB, TE or OL. Taking him there means the team doesn't get stronger at positions of need where there are very good guys still on the board.

I will be fine with any option that doesn't include WR (now that Green and Jones are gone), DB or RB with the #2 and #3 picks. Even DT is now a low need position. OL, LB then TE unless one of the remaining QBs is graded as a good potential 2 yr developmental prospect.

I am feelin' ya lol! Mallett has a chance to be in the Hall of Fame imo. He could also very easily bust out, and I am fully at peace with this.

Bro, he makes throws that I don't remember seeing. Coach Saban said that he makes 3 or 4 throws per game that nobody else at all can make.

I do hope that one of us gets our wish and that it works out right. :thumbsup:

In any event. let's keep our fingers crossed that they don't do something idiotic, ya know?

The fact that the Bills braintrust they were after Gabbert if Dareus wasn't there lets me know all I need to know about the potential for them to make the wrong choice here!

Just like to point out that Da'Quan Bowers = "DB" ... but probably a DB you could come to grips with them picking.

They are in a great spot here at 34.

The fact that the Bills braintrust they were after Gabbert if Dareus wasn't there lets me know all I need to know about the potential for them to make the wrong choice here!

Just like to point out that Da'Quan Bowers = "DB" ... but probably a DB you could come to grips with them picking.

Agreed. All the reaches in the first in addition to the huge run on DL left a lot of talent on the board.

Have to disagree with your assessment of the team.

I respect your opinion, but do you really see the Bills fighting with either NE or NYJ this season for a wildcard and coming out on top? I don't. They are more than "one less injury" or bad call away from that in my opinion. Some more solid drafting today and tomorrow as well as next year, a couple well placed free agents, and a stud QB and they can make a race out of it. But certainly not this year in my opinion anyway.

But right at this moment I think almost everyone agrees the Bills are a better team now than there were 24 hours ago :)

It is not a fact as has been pointed out in the other thread.