All Newton all the time

RichardBag

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Addressing the bolded above, remember that the Panthers publicly stated that they would draft Andrew Luck first overall if he declared. That indicates that they are not so committed to Clausen that they would pass up on a quarterback as their first pick…if they feel Newton is worthy of the pick.

Personally I feel that Clausen will have a small effect on Carolina's decision making.

I agree. If Luck was in this draft would the Panthers think twice about their "commitment" to Jimmy Clausen? If they think highly enough of Newton to take him at #1, they will. Has nothing to do with Clausen.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. If Luck was in this draft would the Panthers think twice about their "commitment" to Jimmy Clausen? If they think highly enough of Newton to take him at #1, they will. Has nothing to do with Clausen.

GO BILLS!!!

There are 2 other big factors influencing Carlina

1. Jimmy Clausen blows.

2. The old coaching regime is gone - making it much easier to tie #1 to that regime- even if the coaches did not make the pick

They took a flier on the guy - and he crapped the bed.

good organization recognize it, admit the mistake and move on

If the Bills ask for more picks to move down they would be stupid (which we all already know they are). Our team would benifit from more picks, not one pick. Hopefully the rookie cap brings more offers to the table and the Bills jsut take one of them.

i was specifically addressing the gap to get to number 1 from 5+, but yea, depending on the offer, it could be wise to take it

Wow that article was so long I forgot it was attached to the forum!

That being said I read the entire thing and came away feeling even stronger that I want cam newton on this team. Yes there are holes on this team but I feel this is an opportunity to upgrade the most difficult position to do so.

The breakdown of his final 6 games (including alabama and the sec championship game) was especially impressive. I challenge all the cam haters to read this article to at least broaden your perspective on him.

Addressing the bolded above, remember that the Panthers publicly stated that they would draft Andrew Luck first overall if he declared. That indicates that they are not so committed to Clausen that they would pass up on a quarterback as their first pick…if they feel Newton is worthy of the pick. Also if the Panthers selected Newton, they wouldn't have to "dump" Clausen so much as he would be pushed to the back burner.

Personally I feel that Clausen will have a small effect on Carolina's decision making.

Cam Newton ain't Andrew Luck. Besides, isn't the off-season when teams are deliberately trying to confuse each other? I mean, if Buddy Nix is so adept at confusing teams, aren't others capable of doing the same?

If Carolina had a chance to get Luck, then yeah I can see Clausen getting tossed to the curb. But I doubt a team would get rid of Clausen after a season of playing for the worst NFL team just to take Cam Newton who is a project QB that'll need at least a year to acclimate.

The pathological obsession on this board with drafting whichever ' QB du jour ' the draftniks are fawning over at any given moment is comical. Just 4 weeks ago on TSW, Andrew Luck was the ONLY qb worth drafting this high. Now that he's gone, it's Kim Newton. If Newton got hit by a bus tomorrow, it'd be 'we gotta draft Gabe Blabbert' before the day ended. Last season is was Clausen. :rolleyes:

Fitz is the QB for this season, the next 2 seasons after that, and maybe even longer. Fix the D. Strengthen both lines. If Ponder is there in round 3, grab him. But don't waste the #3-overall pick on Newton, or any other QB in this draft.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

Don't buy the "character" concerns surrounding Cam Newton. All of the top prospects get mud thrown at them by their detractors this time of year. I say this even if Cam actually stole a computor or knew or should have known it was stolen when he bought it. We're not talking Lawrence Philips here. I did some things as a kid I wouldn't be proud of today.

He's not a one year wonder. I have no doubt that if he stayed in school he'd likely be even more dominant in 2011 than he was in 2010.

My problem with Cam is the offence he played in at Auburn. If he had played the last three years in the O that Mallett did I think we'd all be a lot further ahead in terms of knowing what we need to know about him footballwise.

Maybe he is the cutting edge of a new wave of pro QB (Galliford and others seem to think so) and Gailey has said that the college game may be starting to change the game at the pro level. Its possible and of course its happened before. The game was ready for a different direction at DE when Deacon Jones came into the league and he was the right guy to show the way. Maybe Cam will be the same.

As for now though I don't think so. With all due respect for the differing opinion (I mean you Dr.) I don't think his game translates well to the pros. He's still a one read spread option QB. They have basically always come up short in the pro ranks.

Manning and Brady are athletic enuf for my liking and it looks like their teams are bending over backwards to lock them in for the rest of their careers. Have they failed to notice the bold new wave?

If Chan and Buddy pick him at #3 I will defer to their judgement and fully support Cam. I will however also hold my breath and cross my fingers. A possible alternative would be to pick a blue chip DT at #3 and if he is still there at 34, draft Mallett. His ceiling is pretty high too. Think Philip Rivers.

He is an intriguing prospect but much too risky for us IMO. Having not sniffed the playoffs in 11 years, Id rather trade back or just land one of the cant-miss DL guys. Build our team until there is a QB prospect worth taking, and dont pass on him then.

You contradicted yourself. There is a qb prospect worth taking. His name is Cam Newton. I'm very confident that as the drafting process advances you will be in the Newton section of the stands screaming: Take him, take him.

If you have an open mind (as I think you do) you will be persuaded that he is the right person to take at the three spot if he is still on the board.

With respect to the Bills not making the playoffs in 11 years you have to be realistic. I don't care who they draft or how they maneuver in this draft the Bills are years away from making the playoffs. As it stands they are closer to being an expansion team than they are a playoff time. Pain and patience is what the owner stated. And that is what you are going to get.

Last year Marty Hurney spent a 2nd on Clausen, so I don't think they're going to dump him after a season. We're always told here how it takes 3 years to evaluate a player, and in 1 year I don't think Carolina just gets rid of their 2010 2nd round QB. Now, with Ron Rivera on board, I see them taking the best front 7 defender available, be it Bowers, Fairley, whomever.

Denver is in the same boat, and was 31st against the run last year. They'll go 4-3 from McDaniels 3-4, and so they need to stock the front of their defense with players. They're not going QB with Orton and Tebow on the roster.

I'm interested to hear who you think WE should take.

The pathological obsession on this board with drafting whichever ' QB du jour ' the draftniks are fawning over at any given moment is comical. Just 4 weeks ago on TSW, Andrew Luck was the ONLY qb worth drafting this high. Now that he's gone, it's Kim Newton. If Newton got hit by a bus tomorrow, it'd be 'we gotta draft Gabe Blabbert' before the day ended. Last season is was Clausen. :rolleyes:

Fitz is the QB for this season, the next 2 seasons after that, and maybe even longer. Fix the D. Strengthen both lines. If Ponder is there in round 3, grab him. But don't waste the #3-overall pick on Newton, or any other QB in this draft.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

If you think Fitz is th elong term solution then be ready for a lot of 4-12, 6-10, or at best 8-8 seasons.

Not sure newton is the answer, but i know Fitz isn't!

And so does Mr Wilson it sounds like.

The best defensive front 7 prospect available when the combine and individual workouts are over. It's too early to be making declarative statements.

gotta see who the next Mike Mamula is before deciding?

good NFL talent evaluators base the evalautions of the players at the top of the draft on their play on the field - which tends to result in the selection of "football" players

letting the combine dictate slotting results in workout warriors being selected like Mamula, Maybin, etc

If Chan and Buddy pick him at #3 I will defer to their judgement and fully support Cam. I will however also hold my breath and cross my fingers. A possible alternative would be to pick a blue chip DT at #3 and if he is still there at 34, draft Mallett. His ceiling is pretty high too. Think Philip Rivers.

I will say to you what I previously stated with Thoner7. Be open minded and let the draft evaluaton process play out. At the end of the evaluation process I believe that CM will be ranked near the top of the board as one of the best players in the draft.

With respect to Mallett I agree with you that he is one of the best passers, if not the best passer, in this draft. My concern with him is his lack of mobility. I'm not looking for a qb who can run with the ball so much as desiring a qb who can move enough to elude the pass rush and extend the play. Those abilities are very questionable with respect to Mallett.

The issue for the Bills is not that they will get better. The real issue is what do they have to do to eventually get better than the Pats and Jets so they can in our lifetime make the playoffs. That won't happen without a upper echelon qb. Fitz is adequate for now. If you have any expectations of being better than average then the qb positon has to be dramatically upgraded.

This year's draft is not going to do much to improve the record of the Bills. It is going to take at least a few consecutive years of quality selections before this team can be taken seriously.

If you think Fitz is th elong term solution then be ready for a lot of 4-12, 6-10, or at best 8-8 seasons.

Not sure newton is the answer, but i know Fitz isn't!

And so does Mr Wilson it sounds like.

I'll assume that Mr Wilson liked Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and Trent Edwards - if that helps you at all when considering his ability to judge QBs.

Fitz is going to be the starter this season - whether or not we draft a QB in round one, or at all. Given a full season with Fitz as Bills starting QB, beginning with OTAs and continuing thru camp and preseason, Wilson (and all of us) may very well be singing Fitzpatrick's praise a year from now. I certainly expect we will be.

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

I'll assume that Mr Wilson liked Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and Trent Edwards - if that helps you at all when considering his ability to judge QBs.

No one is really concerned with what Ralph thinks about the qb prospects coming out of this draft. What counts is what Gailey and Nix think about the prospects. If they don't believe that any of the qbs are worthy of an early pick then so be it. If they think otherwise then they should go for it.

Fitz is going to be the starter this season - whether or not we draft a QB in round one, or at all.

No one has said otherwise. If you can get better at the most important positon, even if it takes some time to development, then you do so. At best, Fitz is a lower tier starting qb. I will give him credit for having a high wonderlik score and being likeable.

No one is really concerned with what Ralph thinks about the qb prospects coming out of this draft. What counts is what Gailey and Nix think about the prospects. If they don't believe that any of the qbs are worthy of an early pick then so be it. If they think otherwise then they should go for it.

I hope, with all my heart, that that is indeed the case. Last I knew, RW still signs everyone's paycheck, Nix & Gailey included.

No one has said otherwise. If you can get better at the most important positon, even if it takes some time to development, then you do so. At best, Fitz is a lower tier starting qb. I will give him credit for having a high wonderlik score and being likeable.

Hard for me to agree or disagree - since no one has yet seen Fitz as a starting QB for a season, beginning in the off-season OTAs.

I will say to you what I previously stated with Thoner7. Be open minded and let the draft evaluaton process play out. At the end of the evaluation process I believe that CM will be ranked near the top of the board as one of the best players in the draft.

With respect to Mallett I agree with you that he is one of the best passers, if not the best passer, in this draft. My concern with him is his lack of mobility. I'm not looking for a qb who can run with the ball so much as desiring a qb who can move enough to elude the pass rush and extend the play. Those abilities are very questionable with respect to Mallett.

The issue for the Bills is not that they will get better. The real issue is what do they have to do to eventually get better than the Pats and Jets so they can in our lifetime make the playoffs. That won't happen without a upper echelon qb. Fitz is adequate for now. If you have any expectations of being better than average then the qb positon has to be dramatically upgraded.

This year's draft is not going to do much to improve the record of the Bills. It is going to take at least a few consecutive years of quality selections before this team can be taken seriously.

John Mallett is good at moving around and in the pocket between the tackles to buy time. He also appears to have that mental time clock that permits good QBs to feel the pressure and buy time. He is also capable of throwing on the run, mechanically speaking I mean, although those opportunities are not likely to be many for him in the pros given his admitted limitations re mobility. But Peyton isn't all that mobile either.

Mallett has very good football IQ. Petrino has a poor record of graduating QBs to the bigs, but Mallett is no Stefan Lafors, who can't even play in Canada, and no Brohm either. Although Louisville's offence was allegedly pro style (actually not, two thirds spread, one third power 1)it was a one read scheme when Brohm was there because thats all he was capable of. Mallett is the only QB prospect in this draft that was trusted with audibilizing at the LOS based on the coverages he saw. He also routinely went through 2,3,4 read progressions.

He has made bad i.e. ill advised throws from time to time, but the thing to remember is that its not as a result of a lack of vision. He actually knows that the free safety is coming over to help in coverage, its just that he thinks he can beat the guy with arm strength. Well when your playing a highly ranked D like Ohio State with a particularly strong secondary you can get burned yourself. His pro coaches will presumably beat that out of him And Mallett was also victimized more than any other SEC QB by receiver drops.

The other thing to bear in mind in my opinion, is not that he is the best passer in this draft. He is one of the best pure passers on the planet today, right now, and hes just a kid (flame away ladies and gentleman). Just as Newton may be in a class by himself athletically, there is no one in this draft that can reasonably be compared with Mallett as a passer.

I don't think he will be a Bill unless Buddy trades back into the first to get him. IMO the pro talent evaluators will know better than the mock draft experts and he will be gone by the mid first.

Having said that, if he is there at #34 I think Buddy jumps. I think he will see Philip Rivers, someone he knows and likes.

Having Mallett drafted in the second and sit behind Fitz for a couple of years as we get better is ideal for the player. He wont have the pressure of being a mid round first, will likely have a chip on his shoulder and will benefit from the instruction of good coaches and a very, very smart starter. Don't see it happening though.