All Newton all the time

RichardBag

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/02/draft_winds_a_thorough_breakdo.html

this analysis on Cam Newton by Universal Draft should be pinned since it provides lot of factual background info that can be used to assess the reality of many issues being raised about his chances for success in the NFL

2 of the biggest regard him being a run first QB and his work ethic and leadership

Don't want this guy!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whilst this is a thoroughly researched article with many great and not so great highlights---I would have to say--take this kid. He is a fantastic prospect. With the Bills recievers catching, not dropping passes and CJ getting balls outside or in check downs---this offense would be explosive.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/02/draft_winds_a_thorough_breakdo.html

this analysis on Cam Newton by Universal Draft should be pinned since it provides lot of factual background info that can be used to assess the reality of many issues being raised about his chances for success in the NFL

2 of the biggest regard him being a run first QB

Straight from the article:

The natural and undeniable conclusion is that nobody should accuse Cameron Newton of being a ‘run-first’ quarterback, or a glorified running back, or anything of the kind. The fact of the matter is we have isolated every single snap (both pass and run) of Cam Newton’s over his final six games against Ole Miss, Chattanooga, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Oregon. What we found is that Newton only scrambled for yardage on a total of 15 of 169 pass snaps. The other 80 or so runs were called as run plays from the sidelines. The rate (just under 9%) at which Newton pulled down the ball and ran for yardage rather than continuing to try and pass the ball, was comparable with the rate at which Aaron Rodgers did the same (just under 8%) for the Green Bay Packers during the 2010 regular season, according to Pro Football Focus.

So this article tells us exactly what even us Newton supporters have known, and been saying, all along... His only possible red flags are his work ethic (which has been defended so far by coaches and team mates), and his mental capacity to learn a Pro offense (which can be said for all QB prospects).

They do a very good job of breaking down and dispelling the "run first" myth. As far as listing his mistakes from when he was 19 years old... All I'll say is that I doubt there are very many of us that would pass this test if someone were to list the 4 dumbest things we did when we were 18-21 years old.

I understand the concern on that, but will leave it up to Buddy and Co. to interview Newton and make the proper decision.

The "Conclusion" section of the article sums it up perfectly. Amazing talent, good-coachable mechanics, issues are most likely behind him.

Go Bills!

Edited by DrDankenstein

whilst this is a thoroughly researched article with many great and not so great highlights---I would have to say--take this kid. He is a fantastic prospect. With the Bills recievers catching, not dropping passes and CJ getting balls outside or in check downs---this offense would be explosive.

Um, in order for the above to occur, woudn't the Bills need:

1. improved receiving core that doesn't drop so many

2. improved OL and good blocking TE so that CJ's blocking (or the lack) doesn't keep him off the field

It's a zero-sum game. If we take a QB right now, we don't take the highest available quality at other positions of need

So this article tells us exactly what even us Newton supporters have known, and been saying, all along... His only possible red flags are his work ethic (which has been defended so far by coaches and team mates), and his mental capacity to learn a Pro offense (which can be said for all QB prospects).

They do a very good job of breaking down and dispelling the "run first" myth. As far as listing his mistakes from when he was 19 years old... All I'll say is that I doubt there are very many of us that would pass this test if someone were to list the 4 dumbest things we did when we were 18-21 years old.

I understand the concern on that, but will leave it up to Buddy and Co. to interview Newton and make the proper decision.

The "Conclusion" section of the article sums it up perfectly. Amazing talent, good-coachable mechanics, issues are most likely behind him.

Go Bills!

Here's the thing, if Cam Newton is widely regarded as good enough to take at #3 (which apparently he already is). He's good enough to take at #1 or #2. I get the sense here that people think the Bills will no doubt have the opportunity to draft him or not draft him since they're at #3.

People need to start realizing that the Panthers, Broncos or a handful of team's desperate at the QB position behind the Bills' pick will ALL be in the mix for Newton. In the end, Newton will eventually be seen as the #1 guy in the draft and either the Panthers or a team that desperately wants him will have to trade up to get him.

The only way I see Newton on this team is if the Bills surrender Fitzpatrick and their #2 pick to move up to the #1 slot. Either the Panthers get him or they get a sweet deal to trade out. That's how I see it going down.

Here's the thing, if Cam Newton is widely regarded as good enough to take at #3 (which apparently he already is). He's good enough to take at #1 or #2. I get the sense here that people think the Bills will no doubt have the opportunity to draft him or not draft him since they're at #3.

People need to start realizing that the Panthers, Broncos or a handful of team's desperate at the QB position behind the Bills' pick will ALL be in the mix for Newton. In the end, Newton will eventually be seen as the #1 guy in the draft and either the Panthers or a team that desperately wants him will have to trade up to get him.

The only way I see Newton on this team is if the Bills surrender Fitzpatrick and their #2 pick to move up to the #1 slot. Either the Panthers get him or they get a sweet deal to trade out. That's how I see it going down.

Last year Marty Hurney spent a 2nd on Clausen, so I don't think they're going to dump him after a season. We're always told here how it takes 3 years to evaluate a player, and in 1 year I don't think Carolina just gets rid of their 2010 2nd round QB. Now, with Ron Rivera on board, I see them taking the best front 7 defender available, be it Bowers, Fairley, whomever.

Denver is in the same boat, and was 31st against the run last year. They'll go 4-3 from McDaniels 3-4, and so they need to stock the front of their defense with players. They're not going QB with Orton and Tebow on the roster.

Last year Marty Hurney spent a 2nd on Clausen, so I don't think they're going to dump him after a season. We're always told here how it takes 3 years to evaluate a player, and in 1 year I don't think Carolina just gets rid of their 2010 2nd round QB. Now, with Ron Rivera on board, I see them taking the best front 7 defender available, be it Bowers, Fairley, whomever.

Denver is in the same boat, and was 31st against the run last year. They'll go 4-3 from McDaniels 3-4, and so they need to stock the front of their defense with players. They're not going QB with Orton and Tebow on the roster.

Fine, but like I said, they can also trade out of the pick. The probability is high that either the Panthers or Broncos WILL trade out of the pick if they don't want Newton. I know that this isn't what the Newton or trade down people want to hear, but the writing's on the wall already.

Fine, but like I said, they can also trade out of the pick. The probability is high that either the Panthers or Broncos WILL trade out of the pick if they don't want Newton. I know that this isn't what the Newton or trade down people want to hear, but the writing's on the wall already.

When was the last time a team traded out of a top 3 pick? It was 2001 when Butler gave ATL the 1st for the Falcons 5th overall and the first pick in the 2nd. That was 10 years ago for goodness' sake. Unless there's a rookie wage scale in place for the 2011 draft, no team is moving up for any player who could significantly alter their franchise finances. Not even for Cam Newton, who is a project QB and as a top 3 pick would command at least 40M guaranteed.

this is true

Newton will very likely go #1

If you are going to spend mega-millions - it is more cost effective to do it at the QB spot on the chance the guy is franchise changer

Don't short change the Bills though. After getting cute and coming up short in the pursuit of Tebow last year, they may be desparate enough to move up to secure Newton. They will be paying insane money anyway at #3.

Newton, who does not need to step into his throws as much as other QBs, makes a ton more sense to a team like the Bills who absolutely refuse to build a quality OL that will generate a pocket on a consistent basis.

Go Bills!

What he said

I agree, Its very possible Cam Newton will be the first pick overall in the 2011 NFL draft.

When was the last time a team traded out of a top 3 pick? It was 2001 when Butler gave ATL the 1st for the Falcons 5th overall and the first pick in the 2nd. That was 10 years ago for goodness' sake. Unless there's a rookie wage scale in place for the 2011 draft, no team is moving up for any player who could significantly alter their franchise finances. Not even for Cam Newton, who is a project QB and as a top 3 pick would command at least 40M guaranteed.

There is going to be a rookie wage scale, the union has already basically agreed to it...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81581842&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

That article was much too long to read. But I got through his 5 concerns with Newton, and he didnt mention his football IQ at all. Considering thats by far and away the #1 concern with the guy - how could you leave that out?

He is an intriguing prospect but much too risky for us IMO. Having not sniffed the playoffs in 11 years, Id rather trade back or just land one of the cant-miss DL guys. Build our team until there is a QB prospect worth taking, and dont pass on him then.

itll be almost 100% impossible. we at three would struggle to trade to 1 without players, or 2012 picks

There is going to be a rookie wage scale, the union has already basically agreed to it...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81581842&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

that will make the top picks more valuable, as you will be getting the same talent for less money. look for the trade value chart to recalibrate with bigger gaps in value if anything.

even with the denver pick, if they maintain any semblence of "value" they can only drop back to 5-6 without including 2012 picks, or players. for arizona or even cincy to be a player they would need to make a "ricky williams/mike ditka" trade. i dont see that happening. dallas has romo, washington doesnt have a 3 or 4. a trade is not a gimme.

That was posted 1 year ago. Things are very much in flux.

and lets be honest, if i can get a franchise qb for 40 mill instead of 80..... im not giving that pick away without a kings ransom.

that will make the top picks more valuable, as you will be getting the same talent for less money. look for the trade value chart to recalibrate with bigger gaps in value if anything.

If the Bills ask for more picks to move down they would be stupid (which we all already know they are). Our team would benifit from more picks, not one pick. Hopefully the rookie cap brings more offers to the table and the Bills jsut take one of them.

Addressing the bolded above, remember that the Panthers publicly stated that they would draft Andrew Luck first overall if he declared. That indicates that they are not so committed to Clausen that they would pass up on a quarterback as their first pick…if they feel Newton is worthy of the pick. Also if the Panthers selected Newton, they wouldn't have to "dump" Clausen so much as he would be pushed to the back burner.

Personally I feel that Clausen will have a small effect on Carolina's decision making.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan