Coahces and FO stance on Fitz

I keep seeing posters on this board use the comments and so called "endorsements" made about Fitz by our coaches and FO to defend Fitz as if to say the doubters are wrong because the people who matter (FO and coaches) believe in him. I find this puzzling, because a little common sense would tell you just the opposite is true in what they have publicly said many times.

1. FO/Coaches - They have said they love him as their QB, then follow it up with he is getting up there in age and they need to find a "10 year" guy who can be the man here for a decade.

2. Fitz is only 28 - When have you ever seen a franchise looking to replace a QB they believe in because he was too old at 28 years of age? He is young enough to be the man for 8 to 10 years in todays NFL if they really thought he was the guy they wanted to build this team around.

3. Why would a franchise so devoid of talent at so many key positions seriously consider using a high pick on a QB if the 28 year old QB on there roster was a guy they felt they could rebuild a team around?

In comparison, Aaron Rodgers is 27, does anyone actually think GB will be looking for a better long term solution after the 2011-2012 season is done because he is 28 years old? Do you think they would even consider for a second taking a QB in the first round if they had the #3 pick in the draft that year?

IMO, this might be the worst argument in any defense of Fitz...I am sure they see him as a great guy to run things until the prospect is ready to take his job, but clearly they are not ready to rebuild this team around him based on their comments and are not nearly as enamored with his season as some people around here.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing posters on this board use the comments and so called "endorsements" made about Fitz by our coaches and FO to defend Fitz as if to say the doubters are wrong because the people who matter (FO and coaches) believe in him. I find this puzzling, because a little common sense and logic would tell you just the opposite is true in what they have publicly said many times.

1. FO/Coaches - They have said they love him as their QB, then follow it up with he is getting up there in age and they need to find a "10 year" guy who can be the man here for a decade.

2. Fitz is only 28 - When have you ever seen a franchise looking to replace a QB they believe in because he was too old at 28 years of age? He is young enough to be the man for 8 to 10 years in todays NFL if they really thought he was the guy they wanted to build this team around.

3. Why would a franchise so devoid of talent at so many key positions seriously consider using a high pick on a QB if the 28 year old QB on there roster was a guy they felt they could rebuild a team around?

In comparison, Aaron Rodgers is 27, does anyone actually think GB will be looking for a better long term solution after the 2011-2012 season is done because he is 28 years old? Do you think they would even consider for a second taking a QB in the first round if they had the #3 pick in the draft that year?

IMO, this might be the worst argument in any defense of Fitz...I am sure they see him as a great guy to run things until the prospect is ready to take his job, but clearly they are not ready to rebuild this team around him based on their comments and are not nearly as enamored with his season as some people around here.

No, IMO they don't believe in Fitzpatrick as a franchise QB. And they have no reason to believe so. He had one decent season, has been a career backup and Gailey has a history of taking QB's of mediocre talent and turning them into productive starters.

I'm guessing Chan would like a chance to work with a real franchise QB for a change. The best he has had was a young Kordell and a spent Aikman. One who couldn't pass the ball and one who couldn't get out of his own way. I'm sure he looks at Newton and Gabbert and sees a combination of passing talent and athleticism he's never had the privilege to coach.

As for why a team with a 28 year old starting QB would use a high pick on a QB? Because the teams with franchise QB's own the league. That's all too obvious.

Said it before, the draft is a process, not an event. Too many fans are trying to fill holes "on paper" and ignoring the fact that it doesn't matter if you are good at a lot of other positions, if you don't have a franchise QB you are just kidding yourself if you think you are going to win consistently in the NFL.

No, IMO they don't believe in Fitzpatrick as a franchise QB. And they have no reason to believe so. He had one decent season, has been a career backup and Gailey has a history of taking QB's of mediocre talent and turning them into productive starters.

I'm guessing Chan would like a chance to work with a real franchise QB for a change. The best he has had was a young Kordell and a spent Aikman. One who couldn't pass the ball and one who couldn't get out of his own way. I'm sure he looks at Newton and Gabbert and sees a combination of passing talent and athleticism he's never had the privilege to coach.

As for why a team with a 28 year old starting QB would use a high pick on a QB? Because the teams with franchise QB's own the league. That's all too obvious.

Said it before, the draft is a process, not an event. Too many fans are trying to fill holes "on paper" and ignoring the fact that it doesn't matter if you are good at a lot of other positions, if you don't have a franchise QB you are just kidding yourself if you think you are going to win consistently in the NFL.

I think you took my post as if I am wondering these things in my questions...you and I actually agree on everything. I was posing those questions to those who keep telling people not enamored with Fitz about how is a franchise guy and how the FO/coaches love him as there defense of him. This thread was more of a reality check to those that seem to think the FO is more enamored with Fitz than they really are.

And too many posters are making that argument in a year when there is no franchise QB in the draft. You want to make a mistake that will set your team back ten years? Draft a QB very high who is not really a franchise QB so that you are forced to play him even when he doesn't have it, just because you picked him so high. Look up Carson Palmer and Alex Smith as examples.

At least with a bad pick like Maybin, you can admit your mistake and move on after a couple of years. But with a "franchise QB" pick who really isn't a franchise QB (i.e. Gabbert, Newton), you will stuck for at least five - seven years trying to figure out what to do with the guy, forced to play him.

It also entirely defeats the point of hiring a guy like Gailey, whose main merit is developing an offense that doesn't require a Peyton Manning to be successful.

No thanks. Not this year.

Yes, I think that they beleive in him as much as they say.

Nobody has anointed him the starter for the next half decade. Nobody has said that they will not take a QB if they like one at the top of the draft. If anything he's been 'slighted' a bit.

Nobody has anointed him the starter for the next half decade. Nobody has said that they will not take a QB if they like one at the top of the draft. If anything he's been 'slighted' a bit.

Perfectly put.

I keep seeing posters on this board use the comments and so called "endorsements" made about Fitz by our coaches and FO to defend Fitz as if to say the doubters are wrong because the people who matter (FO and coaches) believe in him. I find this puzzling, because a little common sense would tell you just the opposite is true in what they have publicly said many times.

Smokescreen....

Agreed...

They are saying what they need to say about the QB that will most likely be their Starter in 2011, and gone or the Back-up in 2012... B-)

Fitz isn't very good. He's the best thing that we have for a QB. He's still very much below average to average in terms of a starting NFL QB is concerned. When you have the opportunity to upgrade the most important position in football with a guy you think can be a franchise guy, then you do it.

The more I think about it I think that it is smokescreen to want to make another team jump ahead of them to get Newton or Gabbert. Cinci seems to want him, Arizona might want Gabbert.

Still, I do not put it past them to mean it. That Nix and Gailey want Newton. When it comes to Ralph - well, I think at this point he'll just listen.

The more I think about it I think that it is smokescreen to want to make another team jump ahead of them to get Newton or Gabbert. Cinci seems to want him, Arizona might want Gabbert.

Still, I do not put it past them to mean it. That Nix and Gailey want Newton. When it comes to Ralph - well, I think at this point he'll just listen.

This isnt just about the #3 pick...its possible they are trying to generate buzz for a trade down scenario and intend on grabbing a QB later in the first or in the 2nd like Locker, Ponder, Kaepernick, or Mallet. And no one around the league believes Buffalo is set at QB with Fitz, so the Bills wont even have to sell it hard they have interest and yet they have been talking about it since mid season.

So, I would not put it past them to try and create a advantageous trade down scenario, but I do believe their interest in a QB in the early rounds is genuine

Fitz isn't very good. He's the best thing that we have for a QB. He's still very much below average to average in terms of a starting NFL QB is concerned. When you have the opportunity to upgrade the most important position in football with a guy you think can be a franchise guy, then you do it.

Actually, Fitzpatrick is quite average. He consistently ranks in the middle third of the QB in the NFL. The areas that hold him back are accuracy, not consistent enough, and ball security.

Actually, Fitzpatrick is quite average. He consistently ranks in the middle third of the QB in the NFL. The areas that hold him back are accuracy, not consistent enough, and ball security.

Which, personally, I think will improve with better blocking, a more consistent passing scheme, and experience.

If Fitz does not improve in 2011 then I do not expect him to improve beyond that. Personally, I wonder how much more he can progress - as a team, however, I think he will be able to keep up with our improvements. When 2012 comes things may be different.

Couldn't agree more, if we could put his brain in mike vick we would all set, wait that's Kaepernick who could end up being the best QB out of this draft.

i agree with you on certain things, BUT - as a "franchise" QB, our boy has to be a whole bunch more accurate... he's not afraid of throwing the deep ball (and not so bad at it), BUT - his short passes and mid range passes aren't so great... argue that, if you will...

When Matt Ryan was taken...glaring holes needed to be filled everywhere on the Falcons! What's funny is how the media made it sound he wasn't a top QB/franchise guy, that's why he fell to #3...Now in 2011, Gabbert is under the same scrutiny... Only time will tell if we actually select a QB in the draft--who really knows!?

I'm in this camp.

Since no one seems to challenge or argue with FO 'call outs' on Maybin, McCargo or Evans, why would they go '180' on Fitz?

Granted, as others have stated, there were peaks & valleys in his performance last year. It's certainly to be expected for a guy working with a brand new system, brand new WR's and his first real 'nod' as a starting QB vs replacing injured or ineffective starters. The FO, like most of us, aren't positive he's the lockdown answer, but their endorsement of him shouldn't be questioned considering the candor they willingly disperse on all topics and players.

I also don't see a sure fire QB in this draft that rates our 3rd pick. JMO.

When Matt Ryan was taken...glaring holes needed to be filled everywhere on the Falcons! What's funny is how the media made it sound he wasn't a top QB/franchise guy, that's why he fell to #3...Now in 2011, Gabbert is under the same scrutiny... Only time will tell if we actually select a QB in the draft--who really knows!?

Was anybody in the media describing Gabbert as a top QB/franchise guy during this past season? Didn't the buzz on this only start after Mayock touted him a month or so ago?

Was anybody in the media describing Gabbert as a top QB/franchise guy during this past season? Didn't the buzz on this only start after Mayock touted him a month or so ago?

Gabbert received little attention as a pro prospect this year because most people thought he was going to stay in school for another year. That doesn't mean that the scouts weren't aware of his abilities. That was clearly exhibited when he declared he was almost instantly considered as one of the top qb prospects in this year's draft.

Newton received a lot of attention as a prospect because it was common knowledge that he was coming out this year. The top qb prospect was Luck. During the season most people thought that he was coming out because he was the prospective first pick in this year's draft. That is why he got so much attention.

No offense, Dawg7, but haven't you beaten this horse to death?