Coahces and FO stance on Fitz

i agree with you on certain things, BUT - as a "franchise" QB, our boy has to be a whole bunch more accurate... he's not afraid of throwing the deep ball (and not so bad at it), BUT - his short passes and mid range passes aren't so great... argue that, if you will...

I personally believe that Chan will find a guy he likes who will be available in the second or even third round.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing posters on this board use the comments and so called "endorsements" made about Fitz by our coaches and FO to defend Fitz as if to say the doubters are wrong because the people who matter (FO and coaches) believe in him. I find this puzzling, because a little common sense would tell you just the opposite is true in what they have publicly said many times.

1. FO/Coaches - They have said they love him as their QB, then follow it up with he is getting up there in age and they need to find a "10 year" guy who can be the man here for a decade.

2. Fitz is only 28 - When have you ever seen a franchise looking to replace a QB they believe in because he was too old at 28 years of age? He is young enough to be the man for 8 to 10 years in todays NFL if they really thought he was the guy they wanted to build this team around.

3. Why would a franchise so devoid of talent at so many key positions seriously consider using a high pick on a QB if the 28 year old QB on there roster was a guy they felt they could rebuild a team around?

In comparison, Aaron Rodgers is 27, does anyone actually think GB will be looking for a better long term solution after the 2011-2012 season is done because he is 28 years old? Do you think they would even consider for a second taking a QB in the first round if they had the #3 pick in the draft that year?

IMO, this might be the worst argument in any defense of Fitz...I am sure they see him as a great guy to run things until the prospect is ready to take his job, but clearly they are not ready to rebuild this team around him based on their comments and are not nearly as enamored with his season as some people around here.

Didn't we go through your one man tireless sleepless get a QB in the first campaign with you last year? :wallbash:

You certainly make interesting points but none of them are valid until after the draft. There are many scenarios that could play out. Perhaps all of this talk about the QBs in the draft from our staff is to entice potential trade up partners. I don't like discussing trade up and down scenarios because unless you are the Patriots they RARELY ever happen.

Do you get a Phillip Rivers when you have a Drew Brees? Apparently you do and it turned out pretty well for both with the exception being that Brees, the guy they got rid of, is a better QB and has won a superbowl. The questions is and will always be until the draft is....."If I draft a QB at #3 will he be THE GUY for the next 10 years?". I'm not for taking flyers and just grabbing a 1st round QB because some fans think that franchise QBs grow on trees and all you have to do is pluck one off of a branch.

I have asked this question and nobody has answered and I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU TO ANSWER IT.

If Andrew Luck came out in this draft would you be happy to get Newton or Gabbert with the #3 pick??

Give me a straight yes or no answer without qualification. I dare you!

At least with a bad pick like Maybin, you can admit your mistake and move on after a couple of years. But with a "franchise QB" pick who really isn't a franchise QB (i.e. Gabbert, Newton), you will stuck for at least five - seven years trying to figure out what to do with the guy, forced to play him.

This guy gets it. Taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB because you don't think your guy is a franchise QB is the ULTIMATE drafting for need scenario. If the best player there at #3 is a QB and you need one badly ...go for it.

Personally I don't believe a QB will be the best player available at #3 and we don't need one badly. That being said I wouldn't be pissed if we got a QB. I just happen to think that the best player available will also be a player that can help our biggest need. That my friend is a win win.

Edited by PDaDdy

No, IMO they don't believe in Fitzpatrick as a franchise QB. And they have no reason to believe so. He had one decent season, has been a career backup and Gailey has a history of taking QB's of mediocre talent and turning them into productive starters.

Yes, I think that they beleive in him as much as they say.

Nobody has anointed him the starter for the next half decade. Nobody has said that they will not take a QB if they like one at the top of the draft. If anything he's been 'slighted' a bit.

Th eHC just came out and said that Fitz can lead them "to a championship". Sounds likea guy they think is our frachise QB who will be starting until he brings us that championship.

Gabbert received little attention as a pro prospect this year because most people thought he was going to stay in school for another year. That doesn't mean that the scouts weren't aware of his abilities. That was clearly exhibited when he declared he was almost instantly considered as one of the top qb prospects in this year's draft.

Newton received a lot of attention as a prospect because it was common knowledge that he was coming out this year. The top qb prospect was Luck. During the season most people thought that he was coming out because he was the prospective first pick in this year's draft. That is why he got so much attention.

Luck never said he was coming out this year. He got all the attention because he was the best QB in college this year.

"Buzz" for a college QB doesn't just come after a player declares-it ahppens all season long. Only when the season ended and Gabbert declared did anyone write about this kid (scouts don't create "buzz"-the media does). Gabbert had a better sophomore year than junior, yet he still was off the radar until luck decided to stay in school.

Fitz isn't very good. He's the best thing that we have for a QB. He's still very much below average to average in terms of a starting NFL QB is concerned. When you have the opportunity to upgrade the most important position in football with a guy you think can be a franchise guy, then you do it.

I think 8th in the NFL in TDs per game coming off the bench is pretty good. It means there were 24 other QBs that were worse and only 7 who were better. How is that "not very good"? Not saying it is great. But it sure as hell is well above average.

I think 8th in the NFL in TDs per game coming off the bench is pretty good. It means there were 24 other QBs that were worse and only 7 who were better. How is that "not very good"? Not saying it is great. But it sure as hell is well above average.

Fitz was also in the top 10 in the league in passing attempts per game. So naturally, he's going to have more opportunities to throw for more TD's. Unfortunately, he was below average compared to the rest of the starting QBs in completing those passes. And was also at the top of the league in terms of turning the ball over. Being above average in 1 category but below average to average in every other category isn't saying much.

Edited by Bangarang

Fitz was also in the top 10 in the league in passing attempts per game. So naturally, he's going to have more opportunities to throw for more TD's. Unfortunately, he was below average compared to the rest of the starting QBs in completing those passes. And was also at the top of the league in terms of turning the ball over. Being above average in 1 category but below average to average in every other category isn't saying much.

Unless that one category puts points on the board....you know...the things that win games ;)

Thank you for also leading me to this point. Why did fitz have to throw so much????? Perhaps because our defense sucks and we always had to play from behind. Does it sound like QB is the biggest problem or defense that can't stop the opponent from lighting up the score board on us or grinding us into submission with their run game? To take this even further we could point out our own run game as being suspect as well. If you can run the ball the QB doesn't need to throw.

Is this all adding up for you?

Personally I see room for a huge improvement now that the charlatan Trent Deadwards is no longer fooling head coaches and front offices into think he had a scrotum. Give fitz the reigns and design the offense for him and we should see another step up.

Edited by PDaDdy

Unless that one category puts points on the board....you know...the things that win games ;)

What was our record again? Oh that's right...

Thank you for also leading me to this point. Why did fitz have to throw so much????? Perhaps because our defense sucks and we always had to play from behind. Does it sound like QB is the biggest problem or defense that can't stop the opponent from lighting up the score board on us or grinding us into submission with their run game? To take this even further we could point out our own run game as being suspect as well. If you can run the ball the QB doesn't need to throw.

Our defense was so bad, yet we're not going to fault Fitz for turning the ball over a ton and keeping the offense off of the field? Fitz didn't do the defense very many favors last season. Yeah, he threw the ball a ton last season. But are you seriously trying to blame his low completion percentage, mass turnovers, and low yards per attempt on the defense?

Is this all adding up for you?

So far your arguments are pretty weak, so no.

Personally I see room for a huge improvement now that the charlatan Trent Deadwards is no longer fooling head coaches and front offices into think he had a scrotum. Give fitz the reigns and design the offense for him and we should see another step up.

But didn't you just say that our defense is terrible? If our run defense is putrid and we can't stop our opponents from lighting up the scoreboard, how is giving Fitz the reigns and designing the offense for him going to make us significantly better? Is he all of a sudden going to be throw a respectable completion percentage and stop turning the ball over?

What was our record again? Oh that's right...

It sucked but it wasn't because our QB couldn't throw TDs. Silly for insinuating otherwise. If I'm not mistaken last I looked teams win and lose games and individuals make up the team.

Our defense was so bad, yet we're not going to fault Fitz for turning the ball over a ton and keeping the offense off of the field? Fitz didn't do the defense very many favors last season. Yeah, he threw the ball a ton last season. But are you seriously trying to blame his low completion percentage, mass turnovers, and low yards per attempt on the defense?

I am not trying to blame those things on the defense. Fitz was 9th worst in INTs. Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Carlson Palmer, Peyton Manning and others were all worse. Guess that makes them bad QBs. I guess their franchises are looking for a franchise guy since they obviously don't have one.

So far your arguments are pretty weak, so no.

So far my arguments are still 100% accurate and valid. Yours are shaky at best.

But didn't you just say that our defense is terrible?

Yes I did say our defense is terrible. It is. I can see why you didn't talk about our defenses stats like you did for Fitz. Their stats are terrible as well as their on field performance. Truth in advertising buddy. You can't make a point by hiding the stats.

If our run defense is putrid and we can't stop our opponents from lighting up the scoreboard, how is giving Fitz the reigns and designing the offense for him going to make us significantly better? Is he all of a sudden going to be throw a respectable completion percentage and stop turning the ball over?

In a word a resounding "YES"!

The offense which Fitz is a huge part of will get better due to improvement from the rookies, second year in the system, Fitz being anointed as the starter and getting the coaching and system designed to his strengths from the beginning of the year not coming off the bench.

Defense will make us a LOT better than that. That is why I am all for drafting a LOT OF DEFENSE!!! You really lose on this point. Take a look at my signature for over the last month. We are going to get significantly better by getting better on defense which is a much much much larger problem than any problem fitz presents at QB.

Edited by PDaDdy

It sucked but it wasn't because our QB couldn't throw TDs. Silly for insinuating otherwise. If I'm not mistaken last I looked teams win and lose games and individuals make up the team.

When did I insinuate that it was because our QB couldn't throw TDs? My main point is that because Fitz threw for a good amount of TDs doesn't make up for the fact that he was below average to average in just about every other statistical category.

I am not trying to blame those things on the defense. Fitz was 9th worst in INTs. Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Carlson Palmer, Peyton Manning and others were all worse. Guess that makes them bad QBs. I guess their franchises are looking for a franchise guy since they obviously don't have one.

Are seriously comparing Fitz to guys that have won Super Bowls, made Pro Bowls, and have been the face of their franchises for quite a few years? Did you even stop to read that before you tried passing it off as a logical argument?

Of course they are.

Yes I did say our defense is terrible. It is. I can see why you didn't talk about our defenses stats like you did for Fitz. Their stats are terrible as well as their on field performance. Truth in advertising buddy. You can't make a point by hiding the stats.

I don't have to bring in stats to make my point about the defense. We all know it was terrible. If we're trying to compete in the playoffs, we're going to need an elite QB or an average QB and an elite defense. We have neither. Fitz is serviceable until we get that elite QB. But in no way am I going to pretend like he's something that he isn't and that he can lead us to the playoffs.

The offense which Fitz is a huge part of will get better due to improvement from the rookies, second year in the system, Fitz being anointed as the starter and getting the coaching and system designed to his strengths from the beginning of the year not coming off the bench.

Has anyone thought of the possibility that Fitz overachieved drastically last year and won't be as effect next season? Everyone just assumes he's going to be better next season.

Defense will make us a LOT better than that. That is why I am all for drafting a LOT OF DEFENSE!!! You really lose on this point. Take a look at my signature for over the last month. We are going to get significantly better by getting better on defense which is a much much much larger problem than any problem fitz presents at QB.

I couldn't get by your 1st pick without puking. Could Robert Quinn be any more overrated?

In a word a resounding "YES"!

You don't think CG built the offense around Fitz? You think he "built it around" Edwards (for 2 games) and never adjusted it for the rest of the season. Yeah, that makes sense.

And Fitz is hardly "coming off the bench". He started more games than Edwards in 2009 also.

In the last 6 games, our QB couldn't throw TDs.

I really don't want to go through the same old tired arguments again.

Context is important.

Why did the Bills pass so much that Fitz led the league in passing attempts per game?

Why did Fitz try to force the ball too much, try to force his own plays too much, trying to make things happen?

Because the Bills were usually behind?

Why were the Bills usually behind?

Because they couldn't stop the other team and get the ball back? Because they couldn't slow down, much less stop, the run?

Why did Fitz's picks hurt our team so much more than other QB picks?

Because our D couldn't stop the other team and get the ball back? Because they couldn't slow down, much less stop, the run?

It really has no meaning to point at the QB outside the context of the whole team - O, D, coaching

You don't think CG built the offense around Fitz? You think he "built it around" Edwards (for 2 games) and never adjusted it for the rest of the season. Yeah, that makes sense.

And Fitz is hardly "coming off the bench". He started more games than Edwards in 2009 also.

In the last 6 games, our QB couldn't throw TDs.

No I don't. I think he certainly as his comments indicated last year that he would tailor things to what Fitz does well indicating that the offense wasn't originally tailored to what Fitz does well. Nothing beats an entire off season of OTAs and play book study for the ENTIRE team to be crisp and execute the plays that work well for fitz. Some of those plays might not have even been worked on in detail with the whole team until he became the starter.

In 2009 Edwards was the starter and only started fewer because he was also injury prone.

You can look at how many TDs Fitz threw the last six games and emphasize that or look at how many he threw in his other 7 and emphasize that. To me I see the cup half full. When you split things up like that it makes for an interesting discussion in that I would look to capitalize on the 7 games where he must have apparently been one of the best in the league. He did end up 8th over in the league in TDs/gm so if his last six were bad the first 7 must have been great.

When did I insinuate that it was because our QB couldn't throw TDs? My main point is that because Fitz threw for a good amount of TDs doesn't make up for the fact that he was below average to average in just about every other statistical category.

Roughly around when you said this. "What was our record again? Oh that's right.."

Are seriously comparing Fitz to guys that have won Super Bowls, made Pro Bowls, and have been the face of their franchises for quite a few years? Did you even stop to read that before you tried passing it off as a logical argument?

Yes. You pointed out poor statistical performance as proof that he is not good. I provided examples of other QBs with poor statistical performance that are thought to be good as an example.

I don't have to bring in stats to make my point about the defense. We all know it was terrible. If we're trying to compete in the playoffs, we're going to need an elite QB or an average QB and an elite defense. We have neither. Fitz is serviceable until we get that elite QB. But in no way am I going to pretend like he's something that he isn't and that he can lead us to the playoffs.

Sure he can lead us to the playoffs. Gailey and Nix have stated as much. I'll take their opinion over yours. Just sayin'.

Has anyone thought of the possibility that Fitz overachieved drastically last year and won't be as effect next season? Everyone just assumes he's going to be better next season.

No I didn't. Do you even know the history of our starting QB? Fitz has PLENTY of accolades for a guy that has been a back up. 300 yard games. Multiple multi TD games. Has ranked really highly as a rushing QB. Not saying this guy is awesome. VERY few are. I'm saying he isn't the problem.

I couldn't get by your 1st pick without puking. Could Robert Quinn be any more overrated?

I don't think he is over rated at all. I think he is rated on what would likely have been his continued success building on previous 2 years if he played last season. Speaking of over rated, the 2 current QBs in the draft are over rated. These guys would be mid first round afterthought picks if Andrew Luck came out. This leads me to ask the question which no Fitz hater has had the balls to answer even when double dog dared.

"If Andrew Luck came out this year would you be happy to take Newton or Gabbert at #3?"

What? Hello? Crickets again.... :wallbash:

Edited by PDaDdy

Win games? How many did he win? Maybe his win loss record was so poor because a THIRD of his TD's came in just TWO games, and multiple meaningless TD's at the end of bad losses where the game was all but over.

So, let me know when he is CONSISTENTLY putting points on the board, not just in garbage time or 2 abnormal games like the Cincy game where he blew until Cincy lost half its starting secondary for the game.

Week to Week his TD total is no where near an accurate barometer on how he did as in the vast majority of his games he put up just 1 TD or less...but of course, that is literally the only response anyone ever gives while ignoring his terrible win loss record, being 9th in the league in INTS (and he had a lot of "gift" ints dropped too) in only 13 games, and being in the bottom end of the NFL in just about every other important stat for a QB.

Didn't we go through your one man tireless sleepless get a QB in the first campaign with you last year? :wallbash:

Uhhhh, wasnt I right? We needed a QB and so many on here were arguing how Trent is the guy and we dont need a QB...um, how did that work out?

PS: Funny thing is, I see so many of the posters who were arguing until they were blue in the face that we didnt need a QB becuase we had Trent now literally criticizing the coaching staff for giving the starting job to Trent even though they kept arguing how he earned it in preseason...classic TSW.

Many of those same people are now getting their panties in a wad if you think we still need a better QB than Fitz.

Win games? How many did he win? Maybe his win loss record was so poor because a THIRD of his TD's came in just TWO games, and multiple meaningless TD's at the end of bad losses where the game was all but over.

So, let me know when he is CONSISTENTLY putting points on the board, not just in garbage time or 2 abnormal games like the Cincy game where he blew until Cincy lost half its starting secondary for the game.

Week to Week his TD total is no where near an accurate barometer on how he did as in the vast majority of his games he put up just 1 TD or less...but of course, that is literally the only response anyone ever gives while ignoring his terrible win loss record, being 9th in the league in INTS (and he had a lot of "gift" ints dropped too) in only 13 games, and being in the bottom end of the NFL in just about every other important stat for a QB.

Fitz didn't win or lose any games. Team sport remember? Maybe his win loss record was so poor because the Bills are a bad team. You are so obsessed with the QB position that you forget that teams play games. Offense, defense and special teams. Stop being myopic and look at the whole picture. Fitz is not the problem. He is not the reason our defense can't stop the run. He is not the reason we can't get off the field on 3rd and long. He is not the reason our returners turn over the ball when the game is on the line.

I know you are looking for a savior at QB but be objective!

Edited by PDaDdy

No I don't. I think he certainly as his comments indicated last year that he would tailor things to what Fitz does well indicating that the offense wasn't originally tailored to what Fitz does well. Nothing beats an entire off season of OTAs and play book study for the ENTIRE team to be crisp and execute the plays that work well for fitz. Some of those plays might not have even been worked on in detail with the whole team until he became the starter.

In 2009 Edwards was the starter and only started fewer because he was also injury prone.

You can look at how many TDs Fitz threw the last six games and emphasize that or look at how many he threw in his other 7 and emphasize that. To me I see the cup half full. When you split things up like that it makes for an interesting discussion in that I would look to capitalize on the 7 games where he must have apparently been one of the best in the league. He did end up 8th over in the league in TDs/gm so if his last six were bad the first 7 must have been great.

So, despite the fact (as you claim) that the offense was taylored to Edwards when Fitz took over, Fitz performance in his first 5 games was "great", yet, when CG then did taylor the offense to Fitz, his performance signficantly declined over the last 5. Makes sense to you I guess.

Fitz started 8 games in 2009. He was the starter. He outplayed Edwards as a starter.

Yes the 2 current QBs in the draft. These guys would be an after though if Andrew Luck came out. This leads me to ask the question which no Fitz hater has had the balls to answer even when double dog dared.

"If Andrew Luck came out this year would you be happy to take Newton or Gabbert at #3?"

What? Hello? Crickets again.... :wallbash:

If Luck came out, he would go number 1. If we like Gabbert or Newton at number 3 right now, why would it matter if Luck was already gone at number 1? Why wouldn't we pick one of them at #3?

It's a strange question. What is your point?

Why were the Bills usually behind?

Because they couldn't stop the other team and get the ball back? Because they couldn't slow down, much less stop, the run?

Hold on...I see this all the time. This is such a convenient excuse and it gets to stop. There were many games where the D played good enough to win but the OFFENSE could not move the ball the bulk of the game. There were several games where Fitz had 50 yards or so at half time.

The run D is NOT why we were always behind...sure our run D is poor, just like many areas of this team. But we struggled to move the ball in the majority of our games, and that wasnt the fault of our run D. Dont get me wrong, our D does effect the offense in terms of field position, but field position is one thing...not converting first downs, turning the ball over, not running the ball, dropping passes, fumbling, incompletions, and missing wide open recievers is the fault of the offense.

So, despite the fact (as you claim) that the offense was taylored to Edwards when Fitz took over, Fitz performance in his first 5 games was "great", yet, when CG then did taylor the offense to Fitz, his performance signficantly declined over the last 5. Makes sense to you I guess.

Fitz started 8 games in 2009. He was the starter. He outplayed Edwards as a starter.

If Luck came out, he would go number 1. If we like Gabbert or Newton at number 3 right now, why would it matter if Luck was already gone at number 1? Why wouldn't we pick one of them at #3?

It's a strange question. What is your point?

Thanks for at least being the first guy to acknowledge my question. Give me a yes or no answer for "would you be happy" and I will tell you my point ;)

Hold on...I see this all the time. This is such a convenient excuse and it gets to stop. There were many games where the D played good enough to win but the OFFENSE could not move the ball the bulk of the game.

News flash. Trent Edwards isn't our QB anymore.

PS: Funny thing is, I see so many of the posters who were arguing until they were blue in the face that we didnt need a QB becuase we had Trent now literally criticizing the coaching staff for giving the starting job to Trent even though they kept arguing how he earned it in preseason...classic TSW.

Many of those same people are now getting their panties in a wad if you think we still need a better QB than Fitz.

The one man QB crusade continues on. I was DEFINITELY NOT in that camp. I knew Edwards was a bum from day to. I never liked the guy because he didn't have an arm and threw the worst looking deep ball I have ever seen.

Edited by PDaDdy

If Andrew Luck came out in this draft would you be happy to get Newton or Gabbert with the #3 pick??

I'm uncertain why you keep asking this question and patting yourself on the back for what you believe makes it so clever...It's not a clever question...

1st off if Luck came out in this Draft he would be a Carolina Panther period...end of story...So The Bills would still have zero chance of Drafting him and would still need a Franchise QB...Secondly, a QB Prospect like Luck comes along maybe once every 5 years...The last QB to come out of College with a resume similar to Luck's was Eli Manning in 2004...So does that Make Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, or Aaron Rodgers any less desirable?

Comparing Luck to ANY QB Prospect is unfair at this point...He's far and away the best NFL Prospect at any Position right now...But just because Luck is Projected to be the next Elway does not mean Newton and Gabbert won't be the next Kelly or Marino...The two things have nothing to do with each other whatsoever...The Bills do not expect to be in the position to Draft Luck next Season, and I for one hope they're not...So I guess I simply don't see you're point in asking that question over and over again...

Just saying... B-)

Fitz at times, was the only bright spot this team had last season. His toughness and leadership is an admirable quality. But let's be real here. He's not a guy that we can build this team around. Fitz is a stop gap starting QB and a great backup QB. We still need a guy that we can say is our franchise guy and someone that we can build this team around to become relevant again.

News flash. Trent Edwards isn't our QB anymore.

The one man QB crusade continues on. I was DEFINITELY NOT in that camp. I knew Edwards was a bum from day to. I never liked the guy because he didn't have an arm and threw the worst looking deep ball I have ever seen.

What are you even talking about dude? You are the one who brought up how I said we needed a QB last year, which we clearly did.

Anyway...I love how your response to a post that says we struggled to move the ball on offense all year is "News flash. Trent Edwards isn't our QB anymore" LMAO...what, you think just because Fitz moves the ball better than Trent that it somehow magically means we are effective and consistent at moving the ball? That logic is so ridiculous I dont even know why you waste time even posting this gibberish.

YES, Fitz is better than Trent...NO ONE ON THIS ENTIRE BOARD DISPUTES THAT ANY WHERE. That however does NOT mean Fitz is good enough just because he is better than one of the 10 worst QB's in the entire NFL.

There is no amount of illogical statements you can proivide that will change the fact that our offense struggled to move the ball this year a majority of the time. But I am sure you will try...

Fitz at times, was the only bright spot this team had last season. His toughness and leadership is an admirable quality. But let's be real here. He's not a guy that we can build this team around. Fitz is a stop gap starting QB and a great backup QB. We still need a guy that we can say is our franchise guy and someone that we can build this team around to become relevant again.

EXACTLY!

Edited by Alphadawg7