Maybin called out by Gailey yet again

Beerball

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Gailey benched Edwards after 2 games and cut him off the team soon after. It doesn't seem he hesitated with that decision, in fact I would suggest he made that decision faster than most NFL coaches would have.

As for Edwards Poz came out and said that the right plays were being called but the players were not doing the right things, I can't put that on Edwards.

Maybin seems to have the work ethic by all accounts I've read but he just doesn't seem to "get it". I don't have any faith that this kid will amount to anything other than a BIG BUST!

You pretend that Gailey didn't have every second of every game played by both TE and Fitz the prior year to look at. It was becoming apparent in 2009 that Fitz was a better QB. People here were routinely commenting on it.

As for Poz, an underperforming former 2nd round pick is not going to throw the new coach under the bus. George Edwards had no business being a DC on te Bills. This was clearly apparent by midseason--even though this wasn't truly a "3-4 defense". CG blew it on this weird pick and he refused to dump him. Instead, he brings in Wanny as the new DC without calling him that so he doesn't have to can Edwards.

What decision is coming from who?

I agree with you. Trent looked like the best QB in camp and pre-season. When the real bullets started to fly, he sucked, and Gailey cut him quick.

As for George, even if you were to pin the blame on him for the defense's lousy performance, why cut him when you can keep him as an assistant coach (considering Wannstedt is the de facto DC)?

And why cut Maybin before training camp and pre-season?

This was being said about TE in 2009.

Why call Edwards the DC then?

Why keep Maybin if you are publicly saying he can't cut it in this league?

no point in cutting him he's only 22 years old. You take another run at motivating him - no hurry in getting him out of here

This makes absolutely no sense at all. The coach thinks he's no good. Age is insignificant.

If you're simply not good at something, all the hard work won't get you anywhere...

My first reaction when seeing Maybin in his first preseason game was something along the lines of "they spent a first round pick on a Copeland Bryan clone".

Do you remember Copeland Bryan? UDFA who got cut by Chicago in 2006 and picked up by the Bills in 2007. He was a skinny, angular, long armed finesse rusher who had some smoothness in his game but lacked explosiveness/power to get the job done. He LOOKED like he could rush the passer. Played in 15 games for the Bills in 2008. Actually posted a sack and a couple passes defensed.

Maybin is this guy.

It makes me sick to think they could have misjudged his talent so badly and I will never appreciate an evaluation by that knuckleheaded fool from PFW (Nolan Nawrocki) ever again. Nawrocki loved him.

I'm hoping Maybin can channel his inner James Harrison and convince himself that he NEEDS this job, but I'm not holding my breath because the kid is just not that talented and he's far too young and rich to realize that when he's 30 he's going to wish he made something more of his opportunity.

I seriously hope they consider trying him at Strong Safety. He's fast, quick, has a burst and can spin like a whirling dervish. If he can't play Safety he should go to the Arena league. He's never cutting it in the NFL as a DE and won't as an OLB either. What's left... Safety. Hell, Whitner's as good as gone anyway. What do we have to lose? Practice time?

This was being said about TE in 2009.

Why call Edwards the DC then?

Why keep Maybin if you are publicly saying he can't cut it in this league?

The 2009 Bills had numerous problems on offense beyond Trent and the belief was that Gailey should have been able to help him. And again, out of all the QB's in camp last year, Trent looked the best and had the most experience.

Edwards in DC in name only and wasn't stripped of it to save face. Wannstedt will be calling the shots.

Again, why cut Maybin before they have to? Maybe something clicks this summer? Likely it won't, but you never know and there's no reason to cut him now.

My first reaction when seeing Maybin in his first preseason game was something along the lines of "they spent a first round pick on a Copeland Bryan clone".

Do you remember Copeland Bryan? UDFA who got cut by Chicago in 2006 and picked up by the Bills in 2007. He was a skinny, angular, long armed finesse rusher who had some smoothness in his game but lacked explosiveness/power to get the job done. He LOOKED like he could rush the passer. Played in 15 games for the Bills in 2008. Actually posted a sack and a couple passes defensed.

Maybin is this guy.

It makes me sick to think they could have misjudged his talent so badly and I will never appreciate an evaluation by that knuckleheaded fool from PFW (Nolan Nawrocki) ever again. Nawrocki loved him.

I'm hoping Maybin can channel his inner James Harrison and convince himself that he NEEDS this job, but I'm not holding my breath because the kid is just not that talented and he's far too young and rich to realize that when he's 30 he's going to wish he made something more of his opportunity.

That's an insult to Copeland Bryan.

I don't get whether Chan is saying he's working (but maybe not working hard enough) or what:

To be clear, I asked whether the failure came down to Maybin not trying hard enough or simply not being good enough.

"I think he wants to. I think he wants to," Gailey said, leaving pauses between each sentence. "He works at it. I'm glad you [asked that]. I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it."

Another pause.

So that must mean he's not good enough, I deduced aloud.

Gailey didn't blink.

"I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it," Gailey replied with a raised-brow expression that confirmed the unspoken point had found its bull's-eye.

Cool! I can't believe you wrote that. A corny punch line from way back in the 80's (Airplane) But I still see Lesly Nielson's face saying that, and I still laugh.

It was the perfect response to a perfect setup.

Edited by Spiderweb

Might not be just strength training. Maybin does not play with his hands to avoid getting locked up by the OT. Maybe his footwork is shoddy and he doesn't take steps to improve that. I see a total lack of identifying plays, running right by the ball. A pass rusher should have a sense to bat a ball down on a short drop which Maybin has never shown. A good DE stuides his opponents, recognizes tendencies, recognizes formations. All and all, does Maybin play with any competiveness. I have a sense Maybin's issues are not just weight room related.

Maybin can't even dress for games, yet Orakpo is playing Pro Bowls. Oh what could have been. :wallbash:

I don't mean this as a shot at you, but it's not as though Orakpo has brought the Redskins much success.

In fact, Washington might be the shining example of why doing what the fans think you should do doesn't always breed success.

Thimk about it...all the moves that team has made in the last 2-3 seasons were ones that Bills' fans pleaded for:

- Draft Orakpo

- Hire Mike Shanahan

- Hire Bruce Allen

- Trade for Donovan McNabb

- Draft an OT in the top 5 (Trent Williams)

- Sign an all-pro OT (Jammal Brown)

- Sign huge defensive linemen (Haynesworth, Kemoeatu, Carriker, etc.)

I'm not saying that some of those weren't good moves, I'm just saying that it takes more than "draft this guy" or "sign this guy" to put together a winning culture, as the Redskins' organization clearly illustrates.

I don't get whether Chan is saying he's working (but maybe not working hard enough) or what:

To be clear, I asked whether the failure came down to Maybin not trying hard enough or simply not being good enough.

"I think he wants to. I think he wants to," Gailey said, leaving pauses between each sentence. "He works at it. I'm glad you [asked that]. I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it."

Another pause.

So that must mean he's not good enough, I deduced aloud.

Gailey didn't blink.

"I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it," Gailey replied with a raised-brow expression that confirmed the unspoken point had found its bull's-eye.

JMO reading between the lines, I think Maybin isn't listening to/doing what the coaches are trying to teach him. He seems a bit too full of himself and maybe he "knows" how best to do things. Obviously he's working at it, so I wonder if he's just mentally immature. He's running out of time to grow up, and if/when he does get cut I'm sure he'll be blaming the coaches for not being able to coach him properly.