Greatest season by Bills rookie

Charles Romes

All excellent choices. Shaw won rookie of the year. Byrd led the league in pics. Cribbs make a big impact. Bennett was an impact player from the start. Butler was great from the start.

Some others: Joe Ferguson Shane Conlan, Nate Odomes, and Rueben Brown all had strong rookie seasons too.

Edited by Bob in STL

Joe Cribbs

That's who I'd pick too. They were the worst running team in the league the year before, and he put up nearly 1200 yards and 11 TD's (and 1600 yards from scrimmage).

A hard running do-it-all little guy who made people forget Terry Miller really quick.

That's who I'd pick too. They were the worst running team in the league the year before, and he put up nearly 1200 yards and 11 TD's (and 1600 yards from scrimmage).

A hard running do-it-all little guy who made people forget Terry Miller really quick.

[/quote

Terry Miller had 1,060 yards.. TD's.. Avg 4.5 y/a.. 22 receptions... 246 yards... Not too shabby but Cribbs replaced him pretty quick..

Terry Miller had 1,060 yards.. 7 TD's.. Avg 4.5 y/a.. 22 receptions... 246 yards... Not too shabby but Cribbs replaced him pretty quick..

I agree with everybody who voted for Cribbs. He was a real force his first year. Thurman took till his 2nd year to get to that level, and OJ took a few years.

Conlan would have a good argument, too........And, Biscuit would be the choice if he played the whole season (and that was already a strike season as it is).

NFL network just ran a show listing the best NFL rookie seasons of all time. Moss #1, Dickerson #2. What is the greatest rookie season by a Bill. I'm going with the Biscuit.

great question...I'd say a biscuit(too bad he never reached those heights again-coulda been an all time great) with Cribbs,Joe D and Dubenion tied for second.

great question...I'd say a biscuit(too bad he never reached those heights again-coulda been an all time great) with Cribbs,Joe D and Dubenion tied for second.

No doubt Biscuit looked like he was going to be all timer that year. I don't think I ever saw as dominant of a defensive game as the season ender against the Eagles.

All excellent choices. Shaw won rookie of the year. Byrd led the league in pics. Cribbs make a big impact. Bennett was an impact player from the start. Butler was great from the start.

Some others: Joe Ferguson Shane Conlan, Nate Odomes, and Rueben Brown all had strong rookie seasons too.

I would have to debate that Joe Ferguson's rookie year was of any redeeming value, even for a rookie. He had a 44% completion rate, less than 12 passes attempted per game, 4 tds against 10 interceptions, and a QB rating of 45.8.

Yes, he was reasonably proficient in handing off to OJ and Braxton though.

Strongly inclined to agree with the flashy little guy from Auburn, selected with a 2nd round pick from SF for OJ.

But...

There was this 17th round Tight End from McNeese State, who started every game a rookie, made All Pro for the next 3 seasons, only lasted 7 seasons and SHOULD BE IN THE HOF!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sestak

I don't know if the stats are that remarkable, but Thurman Thomas had everyone real excited. Plus, the excitement turned out to be warranted.

I have a Thurman Thomas Topps "Super Rookie" card. He had 207 attempts, for 881 yards and a 4.3 yard avg. Pretty good but not great.

Jim Kelly. Didn't want to play here initially. Went to USFL instead. When that folded and he had to come here he's like "screw this losing mentality, I'm here to win it." Even though they had trouble scoring that first season, at least he changed the tone and expectations.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm not real sure if it's officially classified as his "rookie" season, but he didn't play the year he was drafted because of a blown out knee suffered in college and Willis McGahee's first season was quite explosive, considering he didn't even start getting decent playing time until the 5th game that year.

7 100+ yard games

1,128 rush yards 13 rush TDs

A 6 game win streak and the closest we have been to the playoffs the entire decade.

Bobby Burnett

Good one. Unfortunately injuries prevented him from having more good years. His numbers are not as good as Cribbs either.

I would have to debate that Joe Ferguson's rookie year was of any redeeming value, even for a rookie. He had a 44% completion rate, less than 12 passes attempted per game, 4 tds against 10 interceptions, and a QB rating of 45.8.

Yes, he was reasonably proficient in handing off to OJ and Braxton though.

Bad numbers for sure but all they wanted the rookie QB to do was hand off and learn. Back then a rookie QB held a clip board. His numbers are worse than I thought though.

Edited by Bob in STL

This was in the Buffalo News yesterday. Totally agree about the underrated part. The reason I would pick him over all the other choices is that he immediately became the biggest weapon on an offense that went on to win the first division title since the mid -60s:

This Day in Buffalo Sports History: So long, Joe

Feb 26, 2011 12:13:00 AM / Comment

February 26, 1984 -- Joe Cribbs might be one of the most underrated Buffalo Bills player in history, at least from the historical perspective of looking back more than two decades.

The Bills drafted him in the second round in 1980, and he immediately filled a void at halfback. Cribbs ran for 1185 yards and scored 11 touchdowns. He also caught 52 passes.

Cribbs spent four seasons in Buffalo, and went past 1,000 yards in three of them. Then he signed a contract to jump to the United States Football League. The Bills tried to stop Cribbs in court, and the case sent sports reporters into the unfamiliar territory of a courtroom.

But Cribbs won the suit, and two days later -- on this date -- he debuted with the Birmingham Stallions. Cribbs gained 52 yards in 16 carries.

Cribbs was back in Buffalo in 1985, and spent two seasons after that in San Francisco. He never gained more than 600 yards on the ground in the second act of his NFL career. But he sure was good

This was in the Buffalo News yesterday. Totally agree about the underrated part. The reason I would pick him over all the other choices is that he immediately became the biggest weapon on an offense that went on to win the first division title since the mid -60s:

This Day in Buffalo Sports History: So long, Joe

Feb 26, 2011 12:13:00 AM / Comment

February 26, 1984 -- Joe Cribbs might be one of the most underrated Buffalo Bills player in history, at least from the historical perspective of looking back more than two decades.

The Bills drafted him in the second round in 1980, and he immediately filled a void at halfback. Cribbs ran for 1185 yards and scored 11 touchdowns. He also caught 52 passes.

Cribbs spent four seasons in Buffalo, and went past 1,000 yards in three of them. Then he signed a contract to jump to the United States Football League. The Bills tried to stop Cribbs in court, and the case sent sports reporters into the unfamiliar territory of a courtroom.

But Cribbs won the suit, and two days later -- on this date -- he debuted with the Birmingham Stallions. Cribbs gained 52 yards in 16 carries.

Cribbs was back in Buffalo in 1985, and spent two seasons after that in San Francisco. He never gained more than 600 yards on the ground in the second act of his NFL career. But he sure was good

I don't recall the details anymore, but didn't Cribbs first try to renegotiate his rookie contract with the Bills and was turned down?

Bruce Smith is definitely a contender for greatest rookie season by a Buffalo Bills player.

Despite the popularly-held belief that he was overweight and ineffective, Bruce showed his great natural talent, starting 13 of 16 games and garnering 6.5 sacks, 48 tackles, and recovering 4 fumbles. Forced fumbles were not tracked back then but he had a few of those too.

His talent and skill were quite obvious.

Of course they should have been because he was taken first overall and the Bills actually signed him to a contract one month before the draft if I recall correctly.

Much of the "Bruce was overweight" talk was magnified by the fact that he slimmed down a great deal over the course of his career. But even as an overweight player, he was a premier talent. It's his work ethic that made him even greater.

In other words, had he not slimmed down, he'd still have had an excellent career…just not a Hall of Fame career. And he had an excellent rookie season.

I don't recall the details anymore, but didn't Cribbs first try to renegotiate his rookie contract with the Bills and was turned down?

I don't remember that, but it's sounds Ralph-like.........My memory was that he wanted to go back to Alabama. I remember seeing him being introduced in a convertible driven out on the field before or at halftime of the Birmingham game (in spring of 83 I'm pretty sure - because he still played the 83 season for the Bills even though he was leaving). That was a sickening feeling watching that.

Can you imagine what he did - he played the 83 fall season for the Bills and then jumped right in and played the 84 spring season for Birmingham!

Burnett had 4.1 YC vs 3.9 for Cribbs in their respective rookie seasons.

Cribbs had the same amount of yard on the ground 1185, that Burnett had combined. I'm not sure how much Cribbs' 52 catches added to that amount.

But, I didn't realize that Burnett was that good as a rookie. He won ROY. My memory goes back to the 68 season, but not the 66 season.

Burnett had 4.1 YC vs 3.9 for Cribbs in their respective rookie seasons.

Burnett versus Cribbs - very close.

Season Team Rushing Receiving Fumbles

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost

1966 Buffalo Bills 14 -- 187 766 4.1 -- 4 34 419 12.3 -- 4 -- -- Bobby Burnett

1980 Buffalo Bills 16 -- 306 1,185 3.9 48 11 52 415 8.0 21 1 -- -- Joe Cribbs

Burnett won AFL Rookie off he Year and AFL All Star team.

Cribbs won consensus UPI AFC Rookie of the Year honors and a spot in the Pro Bowl, the only rookie chosen as a starter that year.

I have to vote for Joe. More carries, more yards and more TDs. Very close.

(Sorry the editor does maintain the columns I set up.)

Edited by Bob in STL

NFL network just ran a show listing the best NFL rookie seasons of all time. Moss #1, Dickerson #2. What is the greatest rookie season by a Bill. I'm going with the Biscuit.

I'd have to say Bennett. 8.5 sacks in 8 games.

His stats for a full season that year project out to 17 sacks, 138 tackles and 10 forced fumbles. Those are DPOY/MVP type numbers.

He was just unreal that season. Even if you reject the notion of projecting out his numbers, I don't think there is any denying that he had the greatest impact season of any Bills rookie ever.

Had he taken his career more seriously he would have been a HOF'er.

Jairus Byrd had a big numbers season, but while interceptions are a measure of a players nose for the ball, average to mediocre players can some times have a very lucky season with regard to pics.

Anthony Henry and his 10 pic rookie season of 2001 come to mind.

Bad numbers for sure but all they wanted the rookie QB to do was hand off and learn. Back then a rookie QB held a clip board. His numbers are worse than I thought though.

Yeah, plus, Dennis Shaw <ROY 3 years earlier> had quickly wore out his welcome. Fergy was a Lou draftee so the transition began in earnest. Pretty sure Fergy's rookie year was Joe D's as well -'73. Ceartainly Honorable Mention for best Rookie Season.