Denver's Need for a CB

Rockinon

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU.

Denver has seen their defensive backs go from one of the best in the NFL, to now finding themselves in need of improvement. Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins are both passes their prime, and don't have many years left to play at the NFL level. Their other cornerback, Perrish Cox, has found himself in legal troubles.

Linky

Personally, I think this plays into our hands nicely.

Edited by Rockinon

Denver has seen their defensive backs go from one of the best in the NFL, to now finding themselves in need of improvement. Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins are both passes their prime, and don't have many years left to play at the NFL level. Their other cornerback, Perrish Cox, has found himself in legal troubles.

Linky

How do you figure? Not saying your wrong just wondering what your thinking

Linky

Let's trade them one of ours for a second rounder as well.

they need a whole new D. they switched to the 34 2 years ago and drafted for it and brought in a aging jamal williams. their DBs are old and the younger ones they have are below AVG. the switch back to the 43 will force them to draft for it cause they dont have the pieces for that either.

they could go any way on D. and not to mention D.thomas just ruptured his achilles. they are kinda like the bills in the that they could draft about anything.

2 veteran CBs growing old. Their rookie, Cox may miss some time next year as well.

Linky

That's a pretty big need and is going to make it hard for them to pass up in the 1st round. They could very well go in a different direction and try to pick a CB in the latter rounds but the odds highly in favor of a round 1 pick.

Edited by Rockinon

Linky

I actually think this scenario may work against us, that is, if our goal is to trade down in the first round. The overwhelming assumption is that Fairley will go to the Panthers at #1 and Bowers will go to Denver at #2....leaving 2-3 potential "BPA" players that teams might be willing to trade up for (Peterson, Green, & possibly Newton). Denver taking Peterson at #2 just takes one of these players out of the equation. I still would be happy sticking at #3, however, and taking either Dareus or Quinn.

Linky

Is Peterson better than Bailey in his prime? If not, then what's the point of drafting him--Bailey didn't make that team better when he could play.

>>>>>Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins are both passes their prime<<<<<

Well, even if those two are "passes their prime," I doubt that Denver would be stupid enough to squander a #2 selection in a draft on a cornerback. Normally I would not make this assessment on the Bills, but I am thinking that even Mr. Wilson knows that a corner at #3 would serve to destroy this franchise.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a corner at #15 if we traded down 12 spots. It would be a stupid move because this is NOT what this franchise needs. We need blocking, front 7, and a franchise qb. We don't have the room for idiotic luxury picks ala Spiller, Whitner, McKelvin, etc.

Given the above, I would be the happiest poster on TBD if Denver really is dumb enough to be the first team in NFL History to draft a corner that early.

Denver was 31st in the NFL against the run under Josh McD and will probably change over to a 4-3 under John Fox. So I highly doubt they decide to build their football team like Dick Levy did 5 years ago with a bunch of secondary picks.

Agreed. There is no reason to believe that there is any other franchise that would do something as stupid as our draft in 2006. But again, I cannot even see the Bills doing something as destructive as drafting a defensive back at #3. A receiver? Perhaps under the premise of selling tickets. :angry:

But even Mr. Wilson would seem incapable of taking a corner at #3 given the state of this team and the dwindling ticket sales.

Let's hope!

Denver was 31st in the NFL against the run under Josh McD and will probably change over to a 4-3 under John Fox. So I highly doubt they decide to build their football team like Dick Levy did 5 years ago with a bunch of secondary picks.

They did hire a man who called Brian St Pierre and thought he gave his team the best chance to win after he had been sitting t home for year. Lets not rule anything out now

They did hire a man who called Brian St Pierre and thought he gave his team the best chance to win after he had been sitting t home for year. Lets not rule anything out now

lets be honest, there was a lot of animosity between fox and the front office. it was rumored fox essentially decided he didnt want to play the guys the front office brought in and instead would rather send st peirre to the wolves before he gave the gm a chance to prove his personnel decisions.

a whole different problem then talent evaluation if true.

one such article

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/19/john-fox-accused-of-mutiny-in-carolina/

Edited by NoSaint

lets be honest, there was a lot of animosity between fox and the front office. it was rumored fox essentially decided he didnt want to play the guys the front office brought in and instead would rather send st peirre to the wolves before he gave the gm a chance to prove his personnel decisions.

a whole different problem then talent evaluation if true.

one such article

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/19/john-fox-accused-of-mutiny-in-carolina/

It was an amazing show down here, the Fox vs. the Panthers series.

To the original topic...

I think Denver will ignore the need at CB and draft best defensive player on the board - which there are a lot of...I do not think that will be Peterson or Amukarma

Linky

couldn't agree more, now we wont have to draft the "BPA" and can get our line in order.

Now if we can just get Carolina to pick Cam Newton :w00t:

even better :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really like Peterson, he is head and shoulders above everyone in this draft.

Mock this

1.Peterson cb

2.Wilson ilb

3.jenkins 34 de

4-7.bpa regardless of position

Sign a TE, a NT and a RT.(Miller, soliai & trueblood or Hunter)

Linky

I say trade them Leodis McFumble for Brady Quinn. He isn't in their future, and might be the QB of the future here, so we can draft defense. Plus getting rid of McFumble automatically adds one or two wins to our record, seems like he fumbles at least a game or two away each year.

Mock this

1.Peterson cb

2.Wilson ilb

3.jenkins 34 de

My concern is that his return highlights are a big part of his climb - great added value for another team, not great for us

Linky

the best two players in this draft are Fairley and Dareus.....so if denver picks Peterson, this is good for buffalo.

the best two players in this draft are Fairley and Dareus.....so if denver picks Peterson, this is good for buffalo.

Dareus is definitely not considered one of the two best players in this draft. In fact he's widely considered second tier talent after Fairley, Peterson, Green. If the Bills don't draft him, he probably falls to the 6-12 range of the first round. Dareus is considered a solid d-line prospect, but not someone who'll become a perennial pro bowler. The Bills should either draft one of the top three, or trade back and go to a defensive line player. Dareus would be a good pick in a trade back scenario.

Edited by 1billsfan

Dareus is definitely not considered one of the two best players in this draft. In fact he's widely considered second tier talent after Fairley, Peterson, Green. If the Bills don't draft him, he probably falls to the 6-12 range of the first round. Dareus is considered a solid d-line prospect, but not someone who'll become a perennial pro bowler. The Bills should either draft one of the top three, or trade back and go to a defensive line player. Dareus would be a good pick in a trade back scenario.

well, everyone looks at talent differently, Dareus will continue to move up the board, in fact, the Sporting News has him going #1 overall to Carolina as the "safest" pick in the draft....much like miami took OT Long a couple years back as the safest pick:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-alabama-dt-marcell-dareus-moves-up-to-no-1

well, everyone looks at talent differently, Dareus will continue to move up the board, in fact, the Sporting News has him going #1 overall to Carolina as the "safest" pick in the draft....much like miami took OT Long a couple years back as the safest pick:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/nfl-mock-draft-alabama-dt-marcell-dareus-moves-up-to-no-1

I think ol' Russ is high on crack. No way does Nick Fairley slip past the Bills. Miller over Fairley???? That's too rich.

They said the same things about Warren Sapp. Just makes the comparisons between the two even stronger. Fairley is a beast and the Bills would be pulling another bone-headed Whitner over Ngata move if they did this.

BTW, Green is the safest pick in the draft. Put down the pipe Russ.

Mock this

1.Peterson cb

2.Wilson ilb

3.jenkins 34 de

I'd be happy with those additions, but I disagree that he is head and shoulders above the rest of the qbs. He's a better athlete than prince, but doesn't play the cb position as well. I'd rather have prince.

Mayock has dareus as the number 1 DL.