Saints would have offered a 3rd round pick

zevo

This front office has been far from perfect, and has already made some questionable calls, but I'll just say this...

If the Saints wanted Lynch, and it was widely known that the Bills were shopping him, then why didn't they call the Bills with an offer? Just sayin'.

From everything I've heard they believed Chris ivory was there marshawn without the suspension risk. Didn't think he was a smart player, just a hard runner. Wanted more intelligent players for a complex offense. Assumed reggie and pt23 would be healthy for the playoffs too.

I thought it made sense at the time, and this was the gist of the feedback I got

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This front office has been far from perfect, and has already made some questionable calls, but I'll just say this...

If the Saints wanted Lynch, and it was widely known that the Bills were shopping him, then why didn't they call the Bills with an offer? Just sayin'.

Exactly. If you want a player you call the team and make an offer.

Use your freakin' heads. Why would they not take a 3rd instead of a 4th? Glaser is a jerk and is wrong as much as he's right. But let's all pile on the FO. Don't beleive everything you read for crissake....

Exactly.

So what, at the time the Saints third round pick, way late in the round. The Hawks was looking like an early forth and a early sixth. The Seahawks deal was the better looking deal at the time.

:censored: Jay Glazer - and that guy with the thats why the Bills are the Bills!

According to Jay Glazer on Fox NFL Sunday....The Saints informed the Bills that they would have offered their 3rd round pick this year for Lynch. Nice due diligence Buddy!!! :wallbash:

Yeah I just heard that and frankly its just plain embarrassing. WTF is Nix doing? What a pathetic joke.

Exactly. If you want a player you call the team and make an offer.

This sounds like more Greggo sour-grapes and blowing-farts-in-the-general-direction-of OBD.

He was effusive in his praise of Brees before last year's SB going beyond the point of credulity by saying he wanted to draft Brees when he was The Bills HC.

What's next - hurling insults like, your mother was a hampster and your father stinks of elderberries?

I hope that azz bag never gets another shot at being a HC in this league. Never. Well, maybe right after Donahoe gets another FO job somewhere - like Akron or Omaha maybe.

Just said the saints would have given us a third for Marshawn if we had called them before we made any deals. Pretty sweet front office we have.

But the Bills got a 4th and 6th that can become a 5th. I would value 2 picks, esp since at the time Seattle seemed destined to be picking in the top half of the draft and NO in the bottom half.

Like so many others, I call BS on this. Why did this story just now come out? Why wasn't Glazer quoted earlier? Did he hear this from some lackey in the Saints organization whom pitched the idea? Glazer probably took a barely credible source and used it for a headline. Schefter does this all the time, except Shefter doesn't slander organizations he spreads player gossip.

This was a blatant cheapshot by Glazer.

Not exactly correct. Buddy was not actively shopping Lynch as hard as many thought he should or might have.

Lynch's Availability

It's early, but after one year of Buddy as GM, there are serious questions about his ability to handle being a NFL GM.

There wasn't a team in the league that wasn't aware that Lynch could have been acquired for a third round pick. If the Saints would have offered a 3rd round pick for him he would have been traded. All teams and their front offices are aware of the players on the other teams' rosters. All front offices are aware of the ranking of players at their respective positions for all the other teams.

If the Saints wanted ML they could have taken an action to get him. They didn't. Jay Glazer can after the fact speculate all he wants to. Glazer is very good at throwing a lot of speculative material into the wind. Most of it is garbage.

Edited by JohnC

But the Bills got a 4th and 6th that can become a 5th. I would value 2 picks, esp since at the time Seattle seemed destined to be picking in the top half of the draft and NO in the bottom half.

Thank you for bringing that point up.

I would rather have a 3rd than a 4th and 6th but still, it may have been a factor? Just sayin'

There wasn't a team in the league that wasn't aware that Lynch could have been acquired for a third round pick. If the Saints would have offered a 3rd round pick for him he would have been traded. All teams and their front offices are aware of the players on the other teams' rosters. All front offices are aware of the ranking of players at their respective positions for all the other teams.

If the Saints wanted ML they could have taken an action to get him. They didn't. Jay Glazer can after the fact speculate all he wants to. Glazer is very good at throwing a lot of speculative material into the wind. Most of it is garbage.

I believe that Glazer is reporting what he was told by the Saints. If anything, I'm calling BS on the Saints' willingness to actually part with a 3rd rounder at the time.

Thank you for bringing that point up.

I would rather have a 3rd than a 4th and 6th but still, it may have been a factor? Just sayin'

But at the time, NO was a Super Bowl contending team, Seattle was thought to be picking in the top ten. So the projected difference from a Saints 3rd and a Seahawks 4th was between 1 to maybe 15 picks. Obviously that hasn't panned out but the Bills still get the extra player.

And he knows this how, exactly?? Pure speculation. The Bills received a 4th this year and a conditional pick in 2012. You're talking the difference between a 3rd & 4th, not a 3rd & 7th. At the beginning of the year, would you not have thought that the Saints' 3rd would be a low end pick and the Seahawks' 4th a high end pick? Fairly close, no? Plus you get an additional pick from Seattle in '12. And you want everyone fired? Good grief. I'll take the two picks from Seattle over New Orleans' 3rd any day.

Perfectly stated...