Saints would have offered a 3rd round pick

zevo

Hopefully people here can get past the Lynch thing. Here's a newsflash, up until that ONE sick run on Saturday, people in Seattle were disappointed with Lynch. His usual statline was 18 carries for 58 yards or whatever. Just a few weeks earlier he had two brutal fumbles at New Orleans that cost Seattle any chance to win. He had one great run last weekend but overall, I'd much rather have the draft pick we got because Lynch is not going to be a special player for them over the long haul.

The funny thing about that run was that though as epic looking as it was, it was so slow that Matt Hasselbeck was running with Marshawn trying to throw some blocks.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix has every opportunity to correct the record. The story is out there, it was picked up a PFT, Peter King's column, and on national television. If, as many here are speculating, the Saints "lied," then Nix should come out and tell his side of the story. Because it makes him look like a clown.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

There must be a sale on kool-aid today. Glazer is good, and I'm sure he's not making this up. The Bills' front office is nothing to write home about, which should be apparent by now.

Glazer is likely reporting the truth as told by Saints. No harm in that. But what's missing is the total offers and we don't know if Bills knew that Saints were ready to offer up a 3rd. As others correctly pointed out, it may have been saints 3rd vs Seahawks 4th + a pick. Looking at the probabilities in mid-October, taking Saints 3rd vs Seattle's two picks is not a slam dunk. My guess is that Bills made a bet on Seattle's record. And if Donnie Avery was healthy two weeks ago, that would have been a good bet.

Nix has every opportunity to correct the record. The story is out there, it was picked up a PFT, Peter King's column, and on national television. If, as many here are speculating, the Saints "lied," then Nix should come out and tell his side of the story. Because it makes him look like a clown.

In the 2010 draft, the difference between New Orleans' 3rd and Seattle's 4th was 16 slots. The Bills obviously thought that the 2011 draft would look very much the same and decided that getting an extra rd 5 pick in 2012 from the Seahawks was the much better offer. Sucks for the Bills that Seattle played well enough this year to drop that pick.

Edited by 1billsfan

In the 2010 draft, the difference between New Orleans' 3rd and Seattle's 4th was 16 slots. The Bills obviously thought that the 2011 draft would look very much the same and decided that getting an extra rd 5 pick in 2012 from the Seahawks was the much better offer. Sucks for the Bills that Seattle played well enough this year to drop that pick.

If that's his answer, great. But the implication of Glazer's report is that Nix did no due diligence before dealing the pick. That's the part that I would recommend he address.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

If that's his answer, great. But the implication of Glazer's report is that Nix did no due diligence before dealing the pick. That's the part that I would recommend he address.

I agree, this should have been addressed by the Bills organization by now.

Had the Saints said to Nix "we'll give you a 3rd rounder" instead of "check back with us before you trade him," they'd have gotten Lynch and would still be alive in the playoffs. As for the due diligence, we don't know what was going on behind the scenes and whether the Bills felt they needed to move Lynch fast. At it was, he was traded after a pretty bad game (4 attempts for 8 yards and a lost fumble). But a 4th and another pick from Seattle versus a 3rd from the Saints at the time looked like a better deal, and still is no worse a deal. And again, what matters more is what the Bills do with the picks.

I agree, this should have been addressed by the Bills organization by now.

Really? Why? Why should Nix have to respond to every assertion made by the media? The Merriman signing shows that the media doesn't always know what they are talking about. And would any of the usual suspects even believe or care what Nix had to say?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Is it a fact that Lynch is the former Bills running back? Does he currently play for the Seashawks? Are the Bills watching from home. Yes, yes, and yes. Who the hell cares, he was here and he no longer is. I liked beastmode myself, but we went in a different direction, get over it. Do you really think that a multi-million dollar corporation (ESPN) is concerned about taking shots at the Bills... Probably not so much. Do/Did they talk like this with every other team in every other sport that sucks like we have, again the answer is yes. Can we get a emoticon that is pulling out a Kleenex and giving it to another emoticon?

It's funny that u think I actually care about this enough to whine or cry. I could care less! I was just makeing the point that it seemed like everyone was ready for this somehow. It's actually funny that the Bills have managed to make themselves a laughing stock of an organization. Also, being a die hard Red Sox fan...there is hope with new owners. So, untill then............and when???????????

Edited by Cadidliac

apparently the saints wanted Lynch and would have given up atleast a 3rd rounder

Okay, I guess the Bills now must check with the Saints before they do anything.. BULL, if the Saints wanted him, then make an offer, don't play this call me first BS. It's sour grapes because he stiffed armed "DR. HEAT." Gregg Williams and his over-rated reputation to the curb... AND I LOVE IT!!!!

apparently the saints wanted Lynch and would have given up atleast a 3rd rounder

From what I have read, a few teams would have given up at least a 3rd round pick for Lynch, but this underachieving front office failed to shop him. For those who say "all they had to do was call", if you have any bit of memory, the Bills were telling the league that he wasn't on the block. Not sure what the deal was here, unless Nix has some affection for Pete Carroll? Just another in the growing list of blunders this FO has made in their less than a year at OBD.

Okay, I guess the Bills now must check with the Saints before they do anything.. BULL, if the Saints wanted him, then make an offer, don't play this call me first BS. It's sour grapes because he stiffed armed "DR. HEAT." Gregg Williams and his over-rated reputation to the curb... AND I LOVE IT!!!!

From what was said on the TV over the weekend, the Saints did call the Bills and were told that he wasn't on the block. The Saints asked the Bills to call them before trading him if they decide to, that they were interested and would basically top any offer, but these Bozos failed to help this team once again.

Really? Why? Why should Nix have to respond to every assertion made by the media? The Merriman signing shows that the mediaBills Front Office doesn't always know what they are talking about. And would any of the usual suspects even believe or care what Nix had to say?

PTR

Fixed!

i'm less interested in the comment than the motivations behind it. i didn't see the segment (since those pre/post-game shows are unwatchable), so i'm unsure about the context.

is glazer's motivation to make the bills look like bad? if so, why? is there a mortensen/donahoe dynamic at work here?

how does it benefit the saints to disperse this story? if anything, they appear to match the bills in ineptitude (for all the reasons pointed out by earlier posters). it sorta reminds me of the pitiful regret and yearning one feels after failing to approach a pretty girl on the subway.

finally, did glazer provide any additional insight as to why the bills would act in this manner? is the take-away from this story simply that the bills front office is occupied by buffoons?

Edited by Dirtbag

finally, did glazer provide any additional insight as to why the bills would act in this manner? is the take-away from this story simply that the bills front office is occupied by buffoons?

Actually, that is the take-away from the past decade.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Really? Why? Why should Nix have to respond to every assertion made by the media? The Merriman signing shows that the media doesn't always know what they are talking about. And would any of the usual suspects even believe or care what Nix had to say?

PTR

Because they all paint the same picture--that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Form the "I'll sleep through FA", to "we are not tradign Marshawn Lynch", to, yes, the Merriman as damaged goods pickup.

Oh great! An impossible to prove/disprove assertion based on a subjective assessment 6 months after the fact? WTF?

While we are at it:

Seahawks Suckered

By OCinBuffalo 1/10/2011

"My inside sources, which include the frumpy bartender at the Big Tree, all say The Buffalo Bills would have traded Lynch for a 5th round pick and a conditional 6th-7th next year. However, when the Seahawks(those suckers) came along with a 4th and a higher conditional pick next year, and given their record at the time, Buddy Nix jumped at it before they could change their mind...."

Mr. Glazer, or any of you, are free to prove me wrong....good luck.

People, feel the PR... Do you guys all have shake weights? Snuggies? Did you cry when Billy Mays died? Did you think he was a good friend for selling you all that crap? Do you hate Obama(PR Fail) but, think Lady Gaga is talented(PR Win)?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

From what I have read, a few teams would have given up at least a 3rd round pick for Lynch, but this underachieving front office failed to shop him. For those who say "all they had to do was call", if you have any bit of memory, the Bills were telling the league that he wasn't on the block. Not sure what the deal was here, unless Nix has some affection for Pete Carroll? Just another in the growing list of blunders this FO has made in their less than a year at OBD.

From what was said on the TV over the weekend, the Saints did call the Bills and were told that he wasn't on the block. The Saints asked the Bills to call them before trading him if they decide to, that they were interested and would basically top any offer, but these Bozos failed to help this team once again.

Fixed!

The only problem with that is you are going off what you "read" YOU DONT KNOW WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED

Because they all paint the same picture--that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Form the "I'll sleep through FA", to "we are not tradign Marshawn Lynch", to, yes, the Merriman as damaged goods pickup.

Or....perhaps Nix doesnt care what they think? And actually Nix strikes me as exactly that type of person.

Actually, that is the take-away from the past decade.

you're preaching to the choir, brother.

that said, i don't understand why the follow-up to glazer's statement wasn't: "why didn't the bills take the saints up on their offer if it was so much sweeter?" the claim is so outrageous that it demands fuller explanation.

i'm fully aware of the ineptitude that this team exhibits on a daily basis and certainly wouldn't be shocked if it went down exactly as glazer relates. in fact, it's about par for the course. still, in my heart of hearts (and against all evidence to the contrary), i really wanna believe even we couldn't be that dumb.

Edited by Dirtbag

Just about everything he has done here since he took over has made him look like he has a big red nose and super big black shoes.

What do people think Nix is going to say in a press conference to clear the air? "Well, we thought the Seahawks were going to suck and the Saints were going to be good again, so we took what we thought would be a high 4th rounder plus a conditional pick instead a late 3rd rounder?" Yeah, okay. And if the Bills had traded the Saints Lynch, they likely win the division and move lower in the round than they are right now, while Seattle likely finishes at the bottom of the division.

i call nonsense on this .....i bet New Orleans best offer was a 4th.....maybe internally they were thinking they might go as high as a 3rd.....but i bet that was NEVER communicated to the Bill's.

also makes me wonder who has an ax to grind from New Orleans that would want to embarrass the Bills or doesn't care if any bridges get burned ??.....hmmmmm.....Greg Williams perhaps ?