Saints would have offered a 3rd round pick

zevo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/10/bills-didnt-extensively-shop-lynch/

Glazer already reported this (as have others) long ago.

I believed him then and I believe him now. The decision to draft spiller with Freddy and Marshawn already on the roster was ridiculous, but to give lynch away without even maximizing his trade value really shows that this front office still doesn't get it. I've got very little faith that the 3rd overall pick ends up the right one.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he knows this how, exactly?? Pure speculation. The Bills received a 4th this year and a conditional pick in 2012. You're talking the difference between a 3rd & 4th, not a 3rd & 7th. At the beginning of the year, would you not have thought that the Saints' 3rd would be a low end pick and the Seahawks' 4th a high end pick? Fairly close, no? Plus you get an additional pick from Seattle in '12. And you want everyone fired? Good grief. I'll take the two picks from Seattle over New Orleans' 3rd any day.

Exactly. I didn't see Glazer's report, but did he say the Saints would have given a 3rd in '11 and a pick in '12 or was it just a 3rd in '11? A likely high 4th (at the time) and a pick in '12 is better than a low 3rd pick. But I guess it's just easier to jump off the ledge and conclude the Bills suck.

Not exactly correct. Buddy was not actively shopping Lynch as hard as many thought he should or might have.

Lynch's Availability

It's early, but after one year of Buddy as GM, there are serious questions about his ability to handle being a NFL GM.

I don't suppose we'll ever know the truth there. To me it smacks of sour grapes or possibly poor negotiation skills.

Sorta like when the hubby and I were buying our most recent car, the salesman offered to give us our price for last year's model in white.

My husband told him we'd consider it, but we thought we could get our price with this year's model and our preferred color. He said I don't think you'll get that deal. My husband said, OK, thanks, we'll get back to you if we're interested.

He called back a week later. My husband told him we had a deal lined up to get the model and year we wanted at the price we wanted. He repeated the "last year's model" deal and my husband said, we think we'll go with this year's model and the color we want.

Two weeks later he called and was all indignant that we'd purchased the car already without giving him the chance to "match the deal".

Um, by our lights, we did. He just didn't take my husband seriously 'cuz he's kinda mellow and low-key and polite.

I kinda suspect something like that may have taken place.

Perfectly stated...

Thanks. It amazes me how so many people fall hook, line, & sinker and take as gospel everything that these talking heads, columnists, bloggers, etc. spew. Why did Glazer so conveniently "forget" to mention that the Bills received TWO picks from Seattle in lieu of one from New Orleans?? As it turns out, the Seahawks and Saints will be drafting around the same spot in this year's draft. Who would've taken that bet at the beginning of the year? Only the dumbest of the dumb. Funny how hindsight is 20/20, huh? Some of these armchair GMs need to take a step back from the ledge....or maybe they should just do us all a favor and jump.

Sure, NOW they say they would have given a 3rd. :rolleyes:

Talk, over a half year later and after getting your ass kicked by a guy, is cheap. Next time pick up the damn phone and call yourself.

Actually, this is old news. It was reported at the time of the trade that Buddy could have got more for Lynch, but he never picked up the phone. The Seahawks front office were actually laughing about it; they just kept calling until Buddy caved one day and simply agreed to their offer as it was given.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/10/bills-didnt-extensively-shop-lynch/

Glazer already reported this (as have others) long ago.

I believed him then and I believe him now. The decision to draft spiller with Freddy and Marshawn already on the roster was ridiculous, but to give lynch away without even maximizing his trade value really shows that this front office still doesn't get it. I've got very little faith that the 3rd overall pick ends up the right one.

If I were you, I'd start cheering for the Patriots. Maybe you'd feel better about yourself.

According to Jay Glazer on Fox NFL Sunday....The Saints informed the Bills that they would have offered their 3rd round pick this year for Lynch. Nice due diligence Buddy!!! :wallbash:

I have a hard time buying this story. What rational GM would not go for the better trade, particularly given that the Saints are also in the NFC? We may not like some of the FO moves, but nobody is that inept. My guess is he doesn't have his facts quite right...

I cann BS. Not on Glazer, but on what the Saints told him. They probably decided they would have given up a 3rd rounder later on in the season.

The Saints calling the Bills and saying "we're interested in Lynch" is completely different than them calling the Bills and saying "we'll give you a 3rd for Lynch." I'm guessing they said the former back in september, and the latter was sour grapes after Lynch ran over their asses to seal the game.

Guest three3

I saw that too. Glazer said it and then the talking head said that's why the Bills are the Bills. I didn't like that cheap shot.

telling the truth is a cheap shot?

FIRE NIX

Actually, this is old news. It was reported at the time of the trade that Buddy could have got more for Lynch, but he never picked up the phone. The Seahawks front office were actually laughing about it; they just kept calling until Buddy caved one day and simply agreed to their offer as it was given.

Who told you the Seahawks were laughing? Glazer? :rolleyes:

Yes, I read that Glazer mentioned a team allegedly "would have offered" a 3rd rounder for Lynch, a la "Hopeful's" story above. Instead Nix took a 4th rounder and a conditional 5th or 6th rounder from what looked like a bad team. It was a good gamble and points-wise means little. What matters more is what becomes of the picks. Hopefully the Saints use that 3rd rounder on a RB. <_<

Guest three3

That's BS....the Saints would have called when they knew a deal with imminent Seattle. Not to mention, the Saints backfield wasn't banged up as they were at the end of the season when the deal was made.

again, the report is that all nix had to do was pick up the phone, tell the saints what his best offer was and the saints would not match it. they would BEAT it. chances are the 6th rounder involved in the deal from seattle will not even make the roster or be cut within a year or two. maybe the real reason nix refused to call the saints is that ralph wouldn't cover the long distance charges

Link?

PTR

again, the report is that all nix had to do was pick up the phone, tell the saints what his best offer was and the saints would not match it. they would BEAT it. chances are the 6th rounder involved in the deal from seattle will not even make the roster or be cut within a year or two. maybe the real reason nix refused to call the saints is that ralph wouldn't cover the long distance charges

You know nothing about the value of draft picks.

high 3rd < low 4th and 5th/6th next year

Guest three3

You know nothing about the value of draft picks.

high 3rd < low 4th and 5th/6th next year

i'd take the top 100 pick over a 4th and a 6th. nix knew the nfc west was weak and that seattle had a good shot at making the playoffs. nix knew the saints wanted marshawn more than any other team. chances are the saints would have thrown in a 6th with the 3rd if that is what it took to get the deal done.

FIRE NIX

Guest three3

per rotoworld: "According to Fox Sports' Jay Glazer, the Saints would have parted with a third-round pick in exchange for Marshawn Lynch at the trade deadline.

Glazer reported at the time of the trade that the Bills failed to shop Lynch around, and multiple teams would have surrendered more than Seattle's fourth-round pick."

This thread is full of the Bills fans I get so frustrated with, the ones who criticize everything, doubt everything and are never happy. When we find success, when we win the Super Bowl they will be the same ones at the bars yelling at the other team how they failed and gloating in the success of the Bills. When the Bills win a Super Bowl I hope they are never able to make a commercial like they have for the Saints winning the Super Bowl; you know the one where they have the cell phone cameras filming in bars and a guy gets pile drived in the house while celebrating? Those are the kind of fans that I despise.

Only a third? Since its in the past and can't happen why not make it a 2nd hell why not a 1st? Lets see.... they had injuries at RB, and a guy they could've traded for beat them for a 67 yard TD.... Lets save face and say we'd have paid more for him but the Bills wouldnt trade him to us. I'm sure the whole league knew he was on the block why didnt they come calling with their 3rd? Instead Buddy Nix is the buffoon for not calling them.....Please