Our Choice of the Top Four Defensive Players

I think that it is very possible that all four of the top defensive players will be on the draft board when we select at number three. Carolina was set on Andrew Luck, especially after the way Jimmy Clausen performed this year. Since Luck is not declaring there is a very good chance that the Panthers select AJ Green with the first overall pick. Steve Smiths performace continues to decline and they need a deep threat in the passing game. Secondly, there is a strong chance that the Denver Broncos go with Patrick Peterson. Champ Bailey has expressed that he is not interested in staying with the Broncos and is looking to transition to safety in attempts to prolong his NFL career. If this scenario takes place then we will have our choice of Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers, Marcell Dareus, or Robert Quinn.

Like to know more about Fairley. No chance he would slide over as a DE in a 3-4?

He would. Watch tomorrow night's game. He's just one rung below Suh/McCoy in a DT43 scheme, but he'd cause problems outside as well. Bad news is, I've talked to the Panthers and Broncos, and they say they'd pick him if he was there. I have a Grab in on him for Buffalo, but I doubt he'll fall there. I hope for a couple of workout warrior, combine crashing players to move him on down to us.

Please don't draft based on scheme. That's how you let guys like Ngata go. Take the best guy.

Amen. Draft football players - someone who has the potential to be a solid 10-year player. At our rate the coaches and schemes will change 3-4 times in those 10 years anyways.

Amen. Draft football players - someone who has the potential to be a solid 10-year player. At our rate the coaches and schemes will change 3-4 times in those 10 years anyways.

Right. The F.O. gets so carried away with "scheme" players, and end up getting guys that can't even get on the

field not matter what scheme is being used.

Besides, as another poster pointed out, the Bills use a hybrid anyhow and need all the help they can get.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

I see how great these guys are in highlight reels, but I've seen Fairley and Bowers disappear at times, too - and against college level talent. I haven't watched Darius play much, but my point here is that they all look temendous at times, and of the four, two will probably be pro-bowlers - who knows, maybe all will end up so, but, this is where I just hope our scouts know more than the armchair scouts that we all are - I mean, as a profession, they should be able to see the little things that are gives.

My guess is the safest pick would be Darius. He just looks the most consistent, albeit the least flashy. He'd probably anchor our line for 10 years very reliably, and would match up nicely with K. Williams. Quinn would be my guess on who Nix would prefer - simply because he has more of a history of producing, whereas Fairley and Bowers are more one year wonders.

Like I said, they all look great. Fairley looks like the fiercest, but he also looks like he simply bowls over guys and that probably won't work in the NFL.

There was another guy who was suspended with Quinn - a DT. He also has been getting a lot of respect. I'd love to be able to nabb him in the second, if we get a QB with our first.

He would. Watch tomorrow night's game. He's just one rung below Suh/McCoy in a DT43 scheme, but he'd cause problems outside as well. Bad news is, I've talked to the Panthers and Broncos, and they say they'd pick him if he was there. I have a Grab in on him for Buffalo, but I doubt he'll fall there. I hope for a couple of workout warrior, combine crashing players to move him on down to us.

Thanks. Can't wait to watch tonight - one eye on Newton the other on Fairley.

Please don't draft based on scheme. That's how you let guys like Ngata go. Take the best guy.

I would tend to agree, but you have to give a nod to the scheme. Can the DT playing a 4-3 have the speed/power to rush and hol hold the point of attack and also have the lateral ability to pursue and stretch the run out? Same with a 4-3 DE moving to OLB.

I think that it is very possible that all four of the top defensive players will be on the draft board when we select at number three. Carolina was set on Andrew Luck, especially after the way Jimmy Clausen performed this year. Since Luck is not declaring there is a very good chance that the Panthers select AJ Green with the first overall pick. Steve Smiths performace continues to decline and they need a deep threat in the passing game. Secondly, there is a strong chance that the Denver Broncos go with Patrick Peterson. Champ Bailey has expressed that he is not interested in staying with the Broncos and is looking to transition to safety in attempts to prolong his NFL career. If this scenario takes place then we will have our choice of Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers, Marcell Dareus, or Robert Quinn.

It is not inconceivable that the Panthers could draft AJ Green with the first pick in the draft. I suspect, however, that they will either go with the sexiest defensive lineman available (Bowers or Fairley), or they will draft Cam Newton (a new coaching regime loves a new QB). I agree that there is a strong possibility that the Broncos will draft Peterson, as he could likely be the heir apparent to Champ Bailey. I am hoping that either Fairley or Marcel Dareus slips to us at the #3 spot. Either one of those players will provide a definite boost to our defense.

First of all a qualification - I do not follow college ball.

What I understand about Fairley is that he is a talented, fast and hard hitting player but tends towards dirty hits. I am all for putting aggressiveness and fire in our DL but I don't want a stupid player. With the NFL protecting QBs like babies, Fairley's approach towards hitting may result in penalties and fines which can be counter-productive. Can you coach such a player to be 'careful' with his hits ? I am not so sure. Particularly because taking the edge off may result in loss of production.

My guess is that if Fairley is available, we will pass on him because the current regime does not strike me as one to take a chance on risky players.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/la-sp-0108-nick-fairley-bcs-20110108,0,3734360.column

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Agree with the sentiment in this thread that you do not draft based on scheme.

You get the biggest, nastiest, best player possible and put him on the field next to your Pro Bowl DT/NT Kyle Williams, and let them go to work.

I tend to agree with this approach and Fairley is the one. JMO.

You get the biggest, nastiest, best player possible and put him on the field next to your Pro Bowl DT/NT Kyle Williams, and let them go to work.

Well, I disagree partially. I agree that you should be able to find ways to use talented players whether they "fit" your preferred scheme or not and

that you shouldn't significantly reach for someone to fit your scheme over a much more talented player who might not be a perfect fit.

On the other hand, that there are different positions on offense and defense is to some extent a "scheme". Nobody would advocate drafting all

DBs or DLs right? Of course not, but that in and of itself indicates that there is some scheme in place. If your team is going to be predominantly

a 3-4 defense, then a smaller DT is probably not going to make it for you where they might be fine in an attacking 1-gap 4-3 defense. Likewise,

the big NT you draft for a 3-4 might not be a good fit in the 4-3.

I think it is too simplistic to say "just draft great players regardless of scheme fit", but I do agree somewhat with the sentiment.

Dareus is a beast. Fairley is too, but for some reason I think Dareus is going to be real good in the NFL. Imagine our DLine being Williams, Troup and Dareus. I think the D would vastly improve right there. Add in Merriman and a new LB or 2, and Id say were almost good to go.

Agreed.

UNLESS...its a Defensive back.

I've had enough of those for the past decade...

Who did you call?

I caught that too.

I'm amazed how forthcoming Denver and Carolina are with their draft stategies with nobodies....

Right. The F.O. gets so carried away with "scheme" players, and end up getting guys that can't even get on the

field not matter what scheme is being used.

Besides, as another poster pointed out, the Bills use a hybrid anyhow and need all the help they can get.

so you draft players that don't fit the scheme. Problems is they switch systems every few years. Jauron had to go but I would like to see Chan get a nice long run.

This is going to be one of the best dramas in this year's draft.

You have Carolina's Ron Rivera, one of the best defensive minds in the NFL, IMHO. He knows that defensive pressure makes LB's and CB's look good. However, he has a shot at Cam Newton, who's going to look better in about 5 more minutes, and AJ Green --somebody for Clausen to throw to. Their needs are QB, DE, DT, CB, and WR, so they'd love to trade for picks. Just not Brohm-Kelsay-McCargo-McKelvin LOL.

Then you have Denver. They need CB, TE, SILB, and DT34. They have pick #2, but also get two players in the top half of the 2nd round. With #2, they may take Bowers. Or give Tebow somebody to throw to. If I had to guess, because they can get DT Paea and, say a go-to TE (D.J. Williams) in Round 2, they take DE first. The key is that Fairley is DE34 or DT43 with NO SACRIFICE OF ABILITY, but he's NOT a DT34. Paea in RD2 is. Scratch Fairley off Denver's list. They'll go for Amukamara or Peterson.

Depends on the talent. I would rather have Nnamdi or Revis than McCargo. Not a fair comparison, but if we don't grade the four lineman high (doubtful) and we are in love with Prince or Peterson then they need to take the better player. I know this is the year where we NEED front 7 (despite "adding" Merriman, Troup, and Carrington already), like last year we NEEDED LT/QB. I really hope the best player is a front 7 guy too, but I would rather have future HOF DB than a future pretty good DL/LB.

Fortunately I think the talent will be close enough that we will get one of the big 4 listed and put him on the field from week 1.

Go Bills.

Agreed.

UNLESS...its a Defensive back.

I've had enough of those for the past decade...

I caught that too.

I'm amazed how forthcoming Denver and Carolina are with their draft stategies with nobodies....

I see how great these guys are in highlight reels, but I've seen Fairley and Bowers disappear at times, too - and against college level talent. I haven't watched Darius play much, but my point here is that they all look temendous at times, and of the four, two will probably be pro-bowlers - who knows, maybe all will end up so, but, this is where I just hope our scouts know more than the armchair scouts that we all are - I mean, as a profession, they should be able to see the little things that are gives.

My guess is the safest pick would be Darius. He just looks the most consistent, albeit the least flashy. He'd probably anchor our line for 10 years very reliably, and would match up nicely with K. Williams. Quinn would be my guess on who Nix would prefer - simply because he has more of a history of producing, whereas Fairley and Bowers are more one year wonders.

Like I said, they all look great. Fairley looks like the fiercest, but he also looks like he simply bowls over guys and that probably won't work in the NFL.

There was another guy who was suspended with Quinn - a DT. He also has been getting a lot of respect. I'd love to be able to nabb him in the second, if we get a QB with our first.

The other guy to whom you refer is Marvin Austin, 300 lbs plus, strong and quick.

One thing you all are forgetting about too , I just heard on ESPN that Ron Rivera DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR of the San Diego chargers will be introduced as the Panthers HC tuesday , so with him being a D coach who do you think he is going for with the first pick in the draft ?

So i will be willing to bet that one of those defensive guys will be the first pick in this years draft . And seeing as the old saying defense wins championships along with a Defensive HC . So we can cross one of those guys off the list .

Seeing as Denver has Teabow there is a chance that they may pick up a WR with there pick to help Teabow out but a lot of that probably depends on who their HC is going to be . If they get a D coach there may be 2 D players gone , so i hope that Nix & company have done their home work !!!

I can't wait to here the complaints when they pick the BPA instead of the player the fans want ...

^ + 1000 ^

Who do you talk to? Real scouts and front office people or fans? I am curious.

BTW - your posts on the draft are fantastic!! thanks.