If Cam Newton is there at 3

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam Newton has had exactly one good college year at QB in a non-Pro style offense. There is no way to tell if he is the real deal or a true one year wonder -- remember the last one year wonder we picked in round 1 -- Aaron Maybin.

Granted -- different positions, but no way I go with a one year wonder with the #3 pick in the draft.

Word brother!

Newton has done a great job in one year at Division 1. He played JuCo the previous year and before that

couldn't beat out Tim Tebow at Fla.

I know that Newton has shown a good arm and throws a pretty ball, but he hasn't done ANYTHING that an NFL

QB needs to be proficient in. Now, I don't know that he can't do those things, BUT with the 3rd pick in

the draft, I want a guy who has shown over multiple seasons that he can excell at the college level doing

mostly what an NFL player has to do. I think Newton is too much of a gamble for the Bills.

Word brother!

Newton has done a great job in one year at Division 1. He played JuCo the previous year and before that

I know that Newton has shown a good arm and throws a pretty ball, but he hasn't done ANYTHING that an NFL

QB needs to be proficient in. Now, I don't know that he can't do those things, BUT with the 3rd pick in

the draft, I want a guy who has shown over multiple seasons that he can excell at the college level doing

mostly what an NFL player has to do. I think Newton is too much of a gamble for the Bills.

So no Luck, Fairley, or Bowers then either?

Id say this thinking leaves us only Dareus and AJ Green at #3 overall...

Wait until after the combine/workouts to make your final decision about Cam. The draft pundits and scouts will really dissect his game, and provide a more thorough evaluation of his NFL potential. What worries me about the kid (besides the character issues) is that he has never played in a pro-style offense. Athletic talent can only take a player so far....they need to have that "football IQ" that will allow them to adapt to the NFL (see Vince Young, Jason Campbell, Jamarcus Russell, and Dante Culpepper).

To be clear, I'm not calling you a racist but this is a very lazy comparison based only on race. All those players you named are extremely different and have little in common other than there skin color. Young probably compares mostly closely to Newton as a dual threat. Campbell (30 yards rushing his senior year http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=103392 ) and Russell (had 79 career rushing yards in his entire career http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=146755 ) were pocket passers. Culpepper, who was a NFL runner-up for MVP, was a mobile big guy who put huge passing #s. You couldn't pick more different players if you tried.

Here's a thought: let's stop comparing players, but if you insist, compare Newton to a player like Tebow (but my god they are different races!!!). They played in similar offenses, were dominant in the best conference in college football with their arms and legs, and were big time winners. The only difference is Newton is bigger, faster, and has better mechanics. However, Tebow's character was unquestionable.

Cam Newton is not going to be a good NFL player. If Cam Newton is the bills pick at 3, they're dead to me, Let someone else ruin their franchise with the guy

Why do people make statements like this? What do they prove? It's as dumb as saying the Bills will be dead to me if they pass on Newton because he is the greatest QB ever. Fact is, no one has any idea how 20-23 year olds will adjust to the pros or how they will handle millions of dollars. Absolute statements are absolutely dumb.

i will be devastated. Please people to not compare him to Jamarcus Russell they are completely different players. Every time this kid goes on the field he goes into legend mode. Watch him carefully; he is very accurate which is the most important skill to have as a QB . Also his ability to avoid pressure is a premium skill in the NFL. I know many will comment about him not being able to read defenses and that the spread offense doesnt translate to the NFL. But look at someone like Ben Roethlisburger. He doesnt read defenses like Brady or Manning. The thing that makes him such a great QB is his “escapability” in the pocket and keeping plays alive. Also by all accounts the kid is intelligent and extremely good kid.

Newton is exactly the type of player we need to change the culture of losing that has infected our Bills. I have a feeling he doesnt last till 3 after the combine and individual workouts. I know people will argue about him only producing one year at Auburn but look at his pedigree. The #1 high school player in the nation, the #1 Junior College player, and #1 College Football player in the nation. I know this team has a plethora of holes and Fitzpatrick is a good football player. But a transcendent player is needed to win a Super Bowl and this kid is that player. And if he gets taken at 2 that is fine those are just the breaks. But if he is there at 3 and we pass it will be gut wrenching and Bills fans will live to regret it.

I totally agree you 100%,I think he'll be one of the Bills best picks of all time.

He reminds me of Jason Campbell.

Me Too. But I expect him to take off a lot better than cambell ever did. I think he is better than campbell in straight college play but their style of play is similar.

Word brother!

I think Newton is too much of a gamble for the Bills.

i agree he is a gamble. But after finishing with a 4-12 record I think we need one of these high risk but incredibly high reward players. People were saying the same thing about Ben Rothelesburger way back when and how he was very risky. But now he took the team to a 12-4 superbowl contending team. As well as him being a for sure probowler if he played his first four games

Not a fan of Newton. But I do love Luck, and really like Mallet.

This team has so many needs, its hard to say where they need to begin.

If Luck isn't there at #3 - which is a certainty....because even if Carolina or Denver don't want him, they will trade with someone who will.....the Bills should trade down and get as many picks as possible.

I know that right now Mallet isn't high on anyones list that I see, but my guess is that by the time draft day rolls around, he will be ahead of Newton on most boards. Don't crucify me for saying it....it's just a hunch.

What? That they're both black?

And they both played at Auburn. :thumbsup:

Campbell and Newton is as dumb of a comparison as I have ever heard.

Campbell's senior year: 69.6%, 2,700 yards, 20 tds, 7 ints, 58 rushes for 30 yards, 3 tds. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=103392

Newton's senior year: 67.1%, 2,589 yards, 28 tds, 6 ints, 242 rushes for 1,409 yards, 20 tds.http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=232016

i will be devastated. Please people to not compare him to Jamarcus Russell they are completely different players. Every time this kid goes on the field he goes into legend mode. Watch him carefully; he is very accurate which is the most important skill to have as a QB . Also his ability to avoid pressure is a premium skill in the NFL. I know many will comment about him not being able to read defenses and that the spread offense doesnt translate to the NFL. But look at someone like Ben Roethlisburger. He doesnt read defenses like Brady or Manning. The thing that makes him such a great QB is his “escapability” in the pocket and keeping plays alive. Also by all accounts the kid is intelligent and extremely good kid.

Newton is exactly the type of player we need to change the culture of losing that has infected our Bills. I have a feeling he doesnt last till 3 after the combine and individual workouts. I know people will argue about him only producing one year at Auburn but look at his pedigree. The #1 high school player in the nation, the #1 Junior College player, and #1 College Football player in the nation. I know this team has a plethora of holes and Fitzpatrick is a good football player. But a transcendent player is needed to win a Super Bowl and this kid is that player. And if he gets taken at 2 that is fine those are just the breaks. But if he is there at 3 and we pass it will be gut wrenching and Bills fans will live to regret it.

If it's not Luck, it's not a QB that getting taken

Cam Newton is not going to be a good NFL player. If Cam Newton is the bills pick at 3, they're dead to me, Let someone else ruin their franchise with the guy

"OH" and our franchise isn't already ruined?

Not a fan of Newton. But I do love Luck, and really like Mallet.

This team has so many needs, its hard to say where they need to begin.

If Luck isn't there at #3 - which is a certainty....because even if Carolina or Denver don't want him, they will trade with someone who will.....the Bills should trade down and get as many picks as possible.

I know that right now Mallet isn't high on anyones list that I see, but my guess is that by the time draft day rolls around, he will be ahead of Newton on most boards. Don't crucify me for saying it....it's just a hunch.

It's not that crazy. There's a lot to like about Mallett. He big and produced in the SEC. But he has questionable mobility and the 3rd thing that comes up on google when you type in Ryan Mallett is his character.

The Bills have a lot of homework to do. There's an elite QB or some talent available at #3. We just have to hope they find the right guy.

The majority of the top QBs are in the Manning/Brady mold and Newton is not that. Newton is a risk but the upside is collosal.

There are two people int he Manning/Brady mold - their names are Manning and Brady.

Newton is a beast of a QB. Quarterbacks who've played college ball in wide open offenses usually don't make it in the pros because they're one dimentional. Newton, by contrast, is both a fine passer and runner. Anyone comparing him to Jason Campbell has not seen JC play very much. JC is relatively tentative, lacks fire, and can, in no way, run in Newton's shoes.

Newton is Michael Vick with a potentially better passing game. Anyone have a problem with that?

What the Bills need is a fire starter. Cam has the tinder and the spark.

Oh he'll be there a #3 and Nix will rightly pass. Buddy Nix will not reach, especially with his first pick. I remember Buddy Nix telling us at the pre-draft breakfast the he had only one offensive limeman rated high enough if he did fall to their draft slot. I knew then that Brian Bulaga (who I liked at the time) would not be the pick. The Bills stuck to their board and drafted Spiller because he was the highest rated player on their draft board. I didn't like the pick then and still don't but Nix as a former scout is not going to toss all the work his scouts do leading up to the draft out the proverbial window

Word brother!

All he does is win games.

Don't forget he had a better year than Luck.

Trading down is much harder than people make it out to be. Also, it's not often that a team gets a top 3 pick and a chance to get elite level talent. I also don't think Nix likes to trade down unless it was a can't pass opportunity (which they rarely are).

I don't think Nix (or Modrak, or Brandon, or Levy) knows what trading down is...and unfortunately we are in a good position to do it...I expect some team will fall in love with Cam Newton (and there are plenty of teams who REALLY need a QB)...some team will move up to draft a QB, but it won't be the with the 3 spot...sigh.

Newton is a beast of a QB. Quarterbacks who've played college ball in wide open offenses usually don't make it in the pros because they're one dimentional. Newton, by contrast, is both a fine passer and runner. Anyone comparing him to Jason Campbell has not seen JC play very much. JC is relatively tentative, lacks fire, and can, in no way, run in Newton's shoes.

Newton is Michael Vick with a potentially better passing game. Anyone have a problem with that?

Completely agree.

The only similarity he has to Jason Campbell is that he's African American. If Chan feels Newton can play in this league, I'd be all fo them making the selection.

100% Agree...Cam is a beast and a special player , hope he's available at #3 so we have a chance to see him in a Bills uniform, he's a can't miss player with all the tools he has, plus he has shown that he can win big games :

Cam Newton Highlights Game by Game

100% Agree...Cam is a beast and a special player , hope he's available at #3 so we have a chance to see him in a Bills uniform, he's a can't miss player with all the tools he has, plus he has shown that he can win big games :

Cam Newton Highlights Game by Game

Why wouldn't he be available at #3? No one is confusing this kid for Andrew Luck at 1 and the Broncos have White Cam Newton.

I can't believe people would entrust the success of the franchise to a person with Newton's checkered past. This pick has the power to either propel the team forward towards a string of playoff appearances, or if we miss, it will set us back years like the Mike Williams debacle. No way I put that pressure on Newton. Can he read defenses and more importantly, does he have the work ethic to succeed? IMO, no. I sense a high degree of arrogance on this kid. He's a beast, no doubt, just not the type of beast we need.

Edited by stony

Why wouldn't he be available at #3? No one is confusing this kid for Andrew Luck at 1 and the Broncos have White Cam Newton.

I can't believe people would entrust the success of the franchise to a person with Newton's checkered past. This pick has the power to either propel the team forward towards a string of playoff appearances, or if we miss, it will set us back years like the Mike Williams debacle. No way I put that pressure on Newton. Can he read defenses and more importantly, does he have the work ethic to succeed? IMO, no. I sense a high degree of arrogance on this kid. He's a beast, no doubt, just not the type of beast we need.

People avoided Moss because of a far worse past. He has been one of the best WRs in history.

People avoided Blount because of a checkered past. He's been nothing but a monster on the field.

You have to put things in context. Do I care about a stolen laptop or the fact that his father was trying to make a dime off him? Nope, not one bit. :)

Stony, I can see why there is reason for concerns with Newton, but isn't it the same risk with every college player? A QB being able to read NFL defenses can only be discovered when he actually plays in the NFL, the thing is you have to be able to teach your rookies to do that, and with Chan Gailey has our head coach I would feel pretty comfortable taking a risk with Newton, one can only imagine what Chan the Man can do with a talent like Newton

People avoided Moss because of a far worse past. He has been one of the best WRs in history.

People avoided Blount because of a checkered past. He's been nothing but a monster on the field.

You have to put things in context. Do I care about a stolen laptop or the fact that his father was trying to make a dime off him? Nope, not one bit. :)

Give a QB Moss's character and you get Ryan Leaf. QBs can't get by on pure athletic talent.

Haven't we heard this cliche used many times before to describe the latest QB flavor of the month? Probably used to describe Clausen and Tebow last year?

It was, many many times. Happens every year then the kid flops and all you hear is crickets. Hardly no one ever owns up when a player stinks up the joint no matter the position. Once the crusade is over the loudest crusaders go turtle.

And IM not implying that either Clausen or Tebow are busts but the NFL landscape is littered with quarterbacks that "just won" in college. Come to think of it, didn't we just have a QB fitting that bill just play QB for Buffalo this last game ?? How did that work out ???

Somewhat true. But they're not playing the most important position is all of pro-sports. Money is obviously important to him, and I don't believe for one second that he wasn't cognizant to what his father was doing. That's a red flag for me at QB.

It took Vick 8 yrs and a stay in jail to realize that you can't simply get by on athletic talent, the quality the majority of Newton supporters are enthralled by.

Edited by stony

why not. If he fails at QB he'd be one hell of a tight end!

I was just thinking that. He could really play WR, RB, TE, FB and that's IF he faulters as a QB. I'd personally love to see him in a Bills uni. But I believe in Buddy and Chan. If they think they can mold this kid to be great, then they'll draft him. If they doubt it at all, then we will end up with the best D player in the draft.

Trading down is much harder than people make it out to be. Also, it's not often that a team gets a top 3 pick and a chance to get elite level talent. I also don't think Nix likes to trade down unless it was a can't pass opportunity (which they rarely are).

NE seems to find a way. Granted, they haven't had a top 5 pick in a looooong time to be looking for suitors to trade down with. Seems it may be more difficult to trade down from the top few spots, but not impossible. The point is that the Bills FO should be listening seriously to all offers to increase value in this and next years draft.

If you think Cam Newton will fail in the NFL or wont be able to adjust to playing at the NFL level and that Luck/Mallet is ANY less of of gamble. Its obvious to me you don't watch college football. If anyone wants to name the other football players who are 6'6" 250 with a rocket arm and runs 4.5 40? go ahead.

If you think Cam Newton will fail in the NFL or wont be able to adjust to playing at the NFL level and that Luck/Mallet is ANY less of of gamble. Its obvious to me you don't watch college football. If anyone wants to name the other football players who are 6'6" 250 with a rocket arm and runs 4.5 40? go ahead.

Agreed.

-He has yet to prove he can go through multiple progressions consistently.

-He has yet to prove he can be a pocket passer.

-He has absolutely terrible footwork.

-He only throws 19 passes a game.

-He only has 1 year of major college experience as a starter.

-He has yet to show that he can play from under center and take 3, 5, and 7 step drops.

-He has character concerns.

Cam Newton is an intriguing prospect. However, there are just too many things that scare me away from him. He has amazing size and athleticism but can he run an NFL offense? Can he stay in the pocket and dissect a defense? Will he associate himself with the wrong people after getting paid? I trust Chan and Buddy to make good decisions. And who knows, maybe Cam blows everyone away at the combine and during interviews and works extremely hard at the next level. Until then, consider me skeptical.

Edited by Bangarang

Why do we care about a QB'S 40 time?