If Cam Newton is there at 3

Wait until after the combine/workouts to make your final decision about Cam. The draft pundits and scouts will really dissect his game, and provide a more thorough evaluation of his NFL potential. What worries me about the kid (besides the character issues) is that he has never played in a pro-style offense. Athletic talent can only take a player so far....they need to have that "football IQ" that will allow them to adapt to the NFL (see Vince Young, Jason Campbell, Jamarcus Russell, and Dante Culpepper).

I hear you there.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i will be devastated. Please people to not compare him to Jamarcus Russell they are completely different players. Every time this kid goes on the field he goes into legend mode. Watch him carefully; he is very accurate which is the most important skill to have as a QB . Also his ability to avoid pressure is a premium skill in the NFL. I know many will comment about him not being able to read defenses and that the spread offense doesnt translate to the NFL. But look at someone like Ben Roethlisburger. He doesnt read defenses like Brady or Manning. The thing that makes him such a great QB is his “escapability” in the pocket and keeping plays alive. Also by all accounts the kid is intelligent and extremely good kid.

Newton is exactly the type of player we need to change the culture of losing that has infected our Bills. I have a feeling he doesnt last till 3 after the combine and individual workouts. I know people will argue about him only producing one year at Auburn but look at his pedigree. The #1 high school player in the nation, the #1 Junior College player, and #1 College Football player in the nation. I know this team has a plethora of holes and Fitzpatrick is a good football player. But a transcendent player is needed to win a Super Bowl and this kid is that player. And if he gets taken at 2 that is fine those are just the breaks. But if he is there at 3 and we pass it will be gut wrenching and Bills fans will live to regret it.

Please read this article from Buffalo Rumblings on why we may take AJ Green over even players like Marcell Dareus:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/3/1910670/2011-nfl-mock-draft-a-j-green-an-early-contender-for-bills

Only one year of experience in a major college program.

Off the field issues.

Can he adjust to the speed of the NFL?

Can he read defenses and go through progressions?

This kid is a project at QB so I would be pretty devastated if we did take him at 3. We have so many holes that we need to fill and there's absolutely no reason why we can't take a need like Dareus at 3 and pick up a guy like Gabbert or Locker in round 2. Guys like Newton and Mallett have too many character concerns for my liking.

Trade down and compile more picks!!! We should be looking to increase value in this draft as often as possible by getting more picks and/or veteran starters in trade for our picks.

Cam makes me nervous. I can see him and Mallett being available several picks below #3 where we could trade down and still pick one of them up plus added value from the trade down.

I say we pass on QB in the first 2 rounds if Luck isn't there for us at #3 and go D early and often. Only exception is if Cam/Mallett slip below their expected draft position and are a value pick in either of the first 2 rounds.

Trade down and compile more picks!!! We should be looking to increase value in this draft as often as possible by getting more picks and/or veteran starters in trade for our picks.

Cam makes me nervous. I can see him and Mallett being available several picks below #3 where we could trade down and still pick one of them up plus added value from the trade down.

I say we pass on QB in the first 2 rounds if Luck isn't there for us at #3 and go D early and often. Only exception is if Cam/Mallett slip below their expected draft position and are a value pick in either of the first 2 rounds.

Trading down is much harder than people make it out to be. Also, it's not often that a team gets a top 3 pick and a chance to get elite level talent. I also don't think Nix likes to trade down unless it was a can't pass opportunity (which they rarely are).

i will be devastated. Please people to not compare him to Jamarcus Russell they are completely different players. Every time this kid goes on the field he goes into legend mode. Watch him carefully; he is very accurate which is the most important skill to have as a QB . Also his ability to avoid pressure is a premium skill in the NFL. I know many will comment about him not being able to read defenses and that the spread offense doesnt translate to the NFL. But look at someone like Ben Roethlisburger. He doesnt read defenses like Brady or Manning. The thing that makes him such a great QB is his “escapability” in the pocket and keeping plays alive. Also by all accounts the kid is intelligent and extremely good kid.

Newton is exactly the type of player we need to change the culture of losing that has infected our Bills. I have a feeling he doesnt last till 3 after the combine and individual workouts. I know people will argue about him only producing one year at Auburn but look at his pedigree. The #1 high school player in the nation, the #1 Junior College player, and #1 College Football player in the nation. I know this team has a plethora of holes and Fitzpatrick is a good football player. But a transcendent player is needed to win a Super Bowl and this kid is that player. And if he gets taken at 2 that is fine those are just the breaks. But if he is there at 3 and we pass it will be gut wrenching and Bills fans will live to regret it.

Cam Newton has had exactly one good college year at QB in a non-Pro style offense. There is no way to tell if he is the real deal or a true one year wonder -- remember the last one year wonder we picked in round 1 -- Aaron Maybin.

Granted -- different positions, but no way I go with a one year wonder with the #3 pick in the draft.

Luck is not even coming out this year so let's stop talking about him !! With our first pick let's do what got us good the first time

D-D-D let's get Nick Fairly so we can stop the run and put pressure on other QB's which we have a hard time doing .

At least last year we had Schobel so we had him & Williams to provide a bit of pressure and look what the D was like last year compared to this . WE NEED D PRESSURE !!!!!!!!!!

Fitz gives us the luxury of not having to pick a QB first . The guy has at very least earned the right to be the starter for one year from day one of camp . If he continues on the coarse he has been on he'll be even better next year than this , if not he can at least keep us respectable next year while building other areas in desperate need of help .

Who knows we may have a great QB fall to us at the right time & place but for now concentrate on the other stuff .

The majority of the top QBs are in the Manning/Brady mold and Newton is not that. Newton is a risk but the upside is collosal.

I will leave that pick to the experts but I think Fairley is a beast on the DL and could see him contributing right away and being an impact player down the road.

Concur, but I would also like to see Dareus considered as well as Fairley.

C'mon people, talk about the spread and not being able to read defenses till ur blue in the face i dont care. This kid is mike vick on steroids. Honestly, i dont think he makes it past #2. My favorite part of the clip is 3:46. This mothef***** takes off from the 6 yard line.Unreal!!!!! Sorry for being a Cam Newton Homer, this is a once in a decade prospect and we actually have a chance to get him. And please people stop talking about the one year wonder. This kid has been the #1 at three different levels now (high school, junior college, and NCAA). The Maybin comparison is terrible, Maybin did nothing his first two years at Penn State. Whenever Newton has been on the field he is been the best point blank.

Edited by UCLA Bills Fan

We shouldn't pick a "franchise" QB until our offensive line is solid.

And it's very much not yet.

C'mon people, talk about the spread and not being able to read defenses till ur blue in the face i dont care. This kid is mike vick on steroids. Honestly, i dont think he makes it past #2. My favorite part of the clip is 3:46. This mothef***** takes off from the 6 yard line.Unreal!!!!! Sorry for being a Cam Newton Homer, this is a once in a decade prospect and we actually have a chance to get him. And please people stop talking about the one year wonder. This kid has been the #1 at three different levels now (high school, junior college, and NCAA). The Maybin comparison is terrible, Maybin did nothing his first two years at Penn State. Whenever Newton has been on the field he is been the best point blank.

Wow, he's athletic... and can hit open receivers!

How will he do on a team with no blocking, and no talent at receiver, or tight end?

:)

If the QB selections left at #3 are blue-chip picks, I'm ok with a QB. Otherwise, I want the best defensive lineman available.

I think the issue will be that he was number 1 at juco because he had to transfer after the stolen laptop incident. Talent ain't everything.

We shouldn't pick a "franchise" QB until our offensive line is solid.

Disagree. The NFL is all about capitalizing on opportunity. If you have the chance to pick up a franchise QB, you do it! Build the line around him later. Most likely, any QB picked in this draft wont start until 2012 anyways.

Dont reach for an OT when a possible franchise QB is right there.

Disagree. The NFL is all about capitalizing on opportunity. If you have the chance to pick up a franchise QB, you do it! Build the line around him later. Most likely, any QB picked in this draft wont start until 2012 anyways.

Dont reach for an OT when a possible franchise QB is right there.

We need 4 LBs, a NT and 2 DEs.

Let's stick with Fitz, and address those SEVEN positions of need instead.

I dont disagree that the Defense needs help. Nor did I say in that post that we SHOULD draft Newton at #3. Only that it's silly to say "You cant pick position X until you have stars at these other spots".

But you arent going to address all SEVEN of those spots in one pick either. You can, however, address them through the rest of the draft and FA.

We dont just have one shot at fixing the D.

Edited by DrDankenstein

We only need 7 more players to improve our front 7! :w00t: It hurts but it's funny too.

I think that Williams, Moats, Troup and Carrington are all in the mix as rotational players.

Here is a DraftTek draft Simulation with the Bills grabbing Cam Newton (he drops to 6th pick if we don't grab him)

1-3-Cam Newton

2-35-Cameron Heyward DE34 Ohio State

3-67-Jeremy Beal OLB34 Oklahoma

4-99-Kendrick Ellis DT34 Hampton

4-107-Rob Housler TE Florida Atlantic

5-131-Brooks Reed OLB34 Arizona (I'd go Jonathan Cornell ILB Mississippi)

This report was produced using Draft Tek's Draft Simulator: http://WWW.Drafttek.com . Posting this report without giving the foregoing information is a copyright violation.

Astro