Minny-Philly game postponed until Tuesday.

Beerball

What a bunch of sissies. Can't play in a little blizzard? NFL is totally ridiculous. You don't postpone football games because of snow. Now every time there is bad weather predicted they are going to postpone a game? BS. What's the threshold? 6 inches-game moved? 8? 10? I don't care if the players have to walk to the stadium and nobody shows up to watch it- you play the game. Who are they protecting? Vick? Maybe Favre? Now he can play his last game Tuesday? I'd be mad if I were the Giants. Unfair to other teams and especially unfair to other teams that have to play in the snow. Game is scheduled, you play it.

The city's in a state of emergency, and roads all over the place are closed.

The NFL is looking out for fan safety with this move. IMO, they made the right decision, letting the fans that bought tickets to the game get there and enjoy it safely.

What a bunch of sissies. Can't play in a little blizzard? NFL is totally ridiculous. You don't postpone football games because of snow. Now every time there is bad weather predicted they are going to postpone a game? BS. What's the threshold? 6 inches-game moved? 8? 10? I don't care if the players have to walk to the stadium and nobody shows up to watch it- you play the game. Who are they protecting? Vick? Maybe Favre? Now he can play his last game Tuesday? I'd be mad if I were the Giants. Unfair to other teams and especially unfair to other teams that have to play in the snow. Game is scheduled, you play it.

The Giants?

I think they are protecting the public. Supposed to be a big storm.

Some real tough guys on this board.

I hear NBC will be showing Heidi in it's place! (ask someone older than 55 for an explanation!)

I'm really amazed. I can't believe the NFL didn't basically say, the hell with the fans, think of the TV revenue. Likely many more people would have watched the game because of the expected bad weather. I was really disapointed to see there were no east coast games today, the only one would have been tonight, now nothing. Was looking forward to see them sliding all over the field, and not being able to see the lines.

The Giants?

I think they are protecting the public. Supposed to be a big storm.

Some real tough guys on this board.

Maybe not tough guys, but guys who were at the stadium for -26 wind chill or whatever it was for Jets/Raiders back to back games in 93/94.

The city's in a state of emergency, and roads all over the place are closed.

The NFL is looking out for fan safety with this move. IMO, they made the right decision, letting the fans that bought tickets to the game get there and enjoy it safely.

Public safety? More like looking for higher profit from parking and food sales at the game.. Never had a game postponed in Buffalo which routinely has much worse weather.. Not to mention viewers might be turning off a game they can't see on their screens, it's about television ratings.. You sound like a company man, public safety my ass!!

Goodell's plan is now complete. The NFL has officially become a pansy league. It was bad enough when they made it illegal to hit a QB. Then they make it illegal to tackle. Now they're postponing a game because it's going snow! Un friggin believable. Can you imagine what pansy rules will come out of the new CBA?

It's pathetic.

Public safety? More like looking for higher profit from parking and food sales at the game.. Never had a game postponed in Buffalo which routinely has much worse weather.. Not to mention viewers might be turning off a game they can't see on their screens, it's about television ratings.. You sound like a company man, public safety my ass!!

Actually, I think people would tune into a game they can't see, but I agree with the rest. If they cared about fan safety, they wouldn't have started the practice in the last ten years of scheduling night games after November 1st in the North...........They never even used to schedule 4PM games in the North.

how many times has this happened in the past (a game being canceled because of weather)?

This sets a pretty big precedent - if the weather is bad the NFL may cancel your game. What is deemed bad? 12 inches? 6 inches and lots of wind?

how many times has this happened in the past (a game being canceled because of weather)?

This sets a pretty big precedent - if the weather is bad the NFL may cancel your game. What is deemed bad? 12 inches? 6 inches and lots of wind?

I don't remember any time because of snow (hurricanes of course, I do remember).

Isn't Philly expected to declare a state of emergency possibly? If so roads are essentially, if not actually, closed. If so, right call. The only argument against it at that point is "but the schedule says...." which is silly. Disclaimer: I dont know the official state of Philly right now, so maybe not relevant.

The next layer: superbowl in NY. What do they do if they are in the same situation?

Edited by NoSaint

Isn't Philly expected to declare a state of emergency possibly? If so roads are essentially, if not actually, closed. If so, right call. The only argument against it at that point is "but the schedule says...." which is silly. Disclaimer: I dont know the official state of Philly right now, so maybe not relevant.

The next layer: superbowl in NY. What do they do if they are in the same situation?

Detroit, Minnesota, Indianapolis, and other northern dome Super Bowls could also be ruined by a blizzard, if they have to shut down the roads.

Minnesota two weeks ago. Even before the dome collapse, the nfl was considering postponing the game because the Giants could not fly in to the airport.

Minnesota two weeks ago. Even before the dome collapse, the nfl was considering postponing the game because the Giants could not fly in to the airport.

Big difference there, though. The pansy league is now postponing games because they don't want to play in cold and snowy weather. Pathetic.

Did they postpone it until April?

"pansy League"--you guys are hilarious.

No, they just decided to wait until the snow is gone and the sun can come out and make everyone nice and toasty. It's complete crap to call a game because of too much snow. I guess the Browns/Bills game a few years ago was ok... but now it's not?? Come on.

Maybe not tough guys, but guys who were at the stadium for -26 wind chill or whatever it was for Jets/Raiders back to back games in 93/94.

i was at both games

if you were smart you bought your beer in the big paper cups because it would freeze ten minutes after you got it, and with the paper cup you could crush it to the top and eat it like a snowcone. mmmm beer slushy

Big difference there, though. The pansy league is now postponing games because they don't want to play in cold and snowy weather. Pathetic.

I'm gonna disagree. The city may declare a state of emergency, if they haven't already, meaning no unnecessary travel. Which usually also means only certain roads will be plowed to allow emergency vehicles travel. And as most NY'ers know, DOT departments in other states don't have the equipment and expertise like NY does to keep roads open in the worst weather. Six inches of snow can shut down most cities. If this was played in Buffalo, it wouldn't be postponed.

Extreme overreaction by the NFL. Philly is not even getting 8 inches of snow total. The earlier forecast for Philadelphia did not materialize. Yeah, it's snowing but so what? Nothing like the weather morons predicted. The players and everyone else were already in Philly. Nobody had to fly in today. Now they have to sit around until Tuesday night and then play next Sunday with less than 5 days to get ready. No reason in the world to cancel an 8pm game at 1pm. It's outside in late December in the northeast. It may snow. Why don't they just schedule all late season games in warm weather/dome stadium cities (except Minnesota)? What is this, baseball? Weather games are the best. I was at the Bills-Jets game where the beer froze in the bottles 2 minutes after they were opened and -28 Bills-Raiders. It was too cold. Tough. They never would have thought of postponing the game back then. Chargers-Bengals played a playoff game in -60 wind chill. Bills-Browns a couple years ago-blizzard conditions. They played. Raiders-Patriots tuck game. Should have been postponed due to all the snow. NOT. Can you imagine them postponing the Ice Bowl in 1967? Too cold. Snow, cold- all part of the game. Have to play that game tonight. SISSY LEAGUE.

Extreme overreaction by the NFL. Philly is not even getting 8 inches of snow total. The earlier forecast for Philadelphia did not materialize. Yeah, it's snowing but so what? Nothing like the weather morons predicted. The players and everyone else were already in Philly. Nobody had to fly in today. Now they have to sit around until Tuesday night and then play next Sunday with less than 5 days to get ready. No reason in the world to cancel an 8pm game at 1pm. It's outside in late December in the northeast. It may snow. Why don't they just schedule all late season games in warm weather/dome stadium cities (except Minnesota)? What is this, baseball? Weather games are the best. I was at the Bills-Jets game where the beer froze in the bottles 2 minutes after they were opened and -28 Bills-Raiders. It was too cold. Tough. They never would have thought of postponing the game back then. Chargers-Bengals played a playoff game in -60 wind chill. Bills-Browns a couple years ago-blizzard conditions. They played. Raiders-Patriots tuck game. Should have been postponed due to all the snow. NOT. Can you imagine them postponing the Ice Bowl in 1967? Too cold. Snow, cold- all part of the game. Have to play that game tonight. SISSY LEAGUE.

Yep. And gotta love how FN in America is trying to make it seem so much worse than it really is. The NFL blew it and panicked. Calling a game because it might be a blizzard. Pathetic.

This is what it looked like in Philly at kickoff time:

http://deadspin.com/5718440/heres-what-philadelphia-looked-like-around-the-moment-the-eaglesvikings-game-was-supposed-to-start

Look at this another way - if this was the patriots / colts in Foxboro and the Pats had a clear home field advantage in the snow - do you think there is a chance in H*ll that they would have canceled the game? nope.

Edited by gmac17

The snow isn't as bad as expected in PA. It's a light snow. The game could have been played.

I find the "in the name of public safety" disingenuous. If the NFL was concerned about *public safety*, they'd ban booze in the stadiums.

Good. I need one more big game out of Vick for my fantasy championship. I don't need any blizzards!

Gooddell agreed, he's on his roster, too. That's why the game is delayed. To believe that Phili cannot clear the snow is a joke. This would have been a clear Phili advantage.

Besides, according to what I have seen, Phili barely has less then 4" on the ground now!

It's also pretty damn tough on the visiting Vikings fans, who now have to either stay two more nights, or in some cases, miss the game because they need to get back to work. I agree with most posters here, it is ludicrous to cancel a game for cold and snow.

I don't think the NFL gave a thought about visiting NFL fans, afterall, they'd already paid. This was a knee-jerk reaction, that is simply it.

Some fun facts...

Pro games played on a Tuesday:

NFL:

November 11, 1924 Milwaukee Badgers 3 @ Kansas City Blues 7

November 3, 1925 Buffalo Bisons 0 @ New York Giants 7

November 2, 1926 Canton Bulldogs 7 @ New York Giants 7

November 8, 1927 Chicago Bears 6 @ New York Yankees 26

November 8, 1927 Providence Steamroller 0 @ New York Giants 25

November 6, 1928 Pottsville Maroons 7 @ New York Giants 13

October 29, 1929 Orange Tornadoes 0 @ Boston Bulldogs 6

November 5, 1929 Providence Steamroller 7 @ Staten Island Stapletons 7

November 5, 1929 New York Giants 45 @ Buffalo Bisons 6

September 30, 1930 Frankford Yellowjackets 13 @ Orange Tornadoes 6

November 6, 1934 Chicago Cardinals 21 @ Brooklyn Dodgers

November 6, 1934 Cincinnati Reds 0 @ Philadelphia Eagles 64

November 5, 1935 Brooklyn Dodgers 3 @ Philadelphia Eagles 0

November 19, 1935 Chicago Cardinals 12 @ Brooklyn Dodgers 14

September 21, 1937 Cleveland Rams 21 @ Philadelphia Eagles 3

September 16, 1941 Cleveland Rams 10 @ Chicago Cardinals 6

September 26, 1944 Philadelphia Eagles 28 @ Boston Yanks 7

September 25, 1945 Pittsburgh Steelers 7 @ Boston/Brooklyn Yanks/Tigers 28

October 1, 1946 New York Giants 17 @ Boston Yanks 0

AFL (1926):

November 2, 1926 Rock Island Independents 0 @ New York Yankees 35

AAFC:

October 8, 1946 San Francisco 49ers 34 @ Miami Seahawks 7

December 3, 1946 Cleveland Browns 34 @ Miami Seahawks 0

October 5, 1948 Cleveland Browns 14 @ Baltimore Colts 10

AFL (1960s):

None

Source: Professional Football Researchers Association

I think its BS. The Pats/Bears game just a couple weeks ago was played in weather just as bad if not worse (not to mention all the terrible weather games over the past decade). I lost all respect for the city of Philly. Those folks are not hearty at all. This sets a bad precedent. So I guess every big city with a forecast of 6-10 inches of snow will have their NFL game cancelled. I imagine for places like Green Bay and Buffalo the NFL will just step aside. They could probably not care less if 17,000 people show up for a Bills game in a blizzard. For Philly or some other big markets in a prime time game they want a nice showing with butts in the seats.