Spiller not doing to Bad!!!

Spiller as quitly gained 1331.4 all purpose yards this year with two games left.

The remaining two game could easily amount to another 200 yards, for a projected total of 1500 +.

Not to bad I would say with his limited role.

Just an opinion.

Edited by Throwback Bills

Spiller as quitly gained 1331.4 all purpose yards this year with two games left.

The remaining two game could easily amount to another 200 yards, for a projected total of 1500 +.

Not to bad I would say with his limited role.

Just an opinion.

I am not quite sure how the yardage was narrowed all the way down to tenths of a yard, but whatever.

I am assuming that 90% of these yards are on kickoff/punt returns. It's not that impressive. You get an almost automatic 20-25 yards per KO return if you're decent.

I am not quite sure how the yardage was narrowed all the way down to tenths of a yard, but whatever.

I am assuming that 90% of these yards are on kickoff/punt returns. It's not that impressive. You get an almost automatic 20-25 yards per KO return if you're decent.

Is that for a punt returner or a punt catcher?

His rookie year hasnt been all that electrifying, but It's hard not to see his potential. Dude can make people miss, and his acceleration is instant. I'm willing to give him another year:)

His rookie year hasnt been all that electrifying, but It's hard not to see his potential. Dude can make people miss, and his acceleration is instant. I'm willing to give him another year:)

Maybe on returns, but not many miss in the backfield.

Bellichick picked up a rookie RB out of the Jets training camp dumpster who is far outplaying our 1st round draft pick. 435 yards rushing (5.3 per) and 347 receiving (10.7) 5 TDs. Spiller's got 248 (3.9), 103 (4.7) and 1 TD.

Go figure.

Bellichick picked up a rookie RB out of the Jets training camp dumpster who is far outplaying our 1st round draft pick. 435 yards rushing (5.3 per) and 347 receiving (10.7) 5 TDs. Spiller's got 248 (3.9), 103 (4.7) and 1 TD.

Go figure.

Woodhead isn't a rookie. And the Pats have an amazing O-line. As they usually have.

Go figure.

It really is not too difficult to figure. Look at their qb passing threat and OL prowess.

Go figure.

Woodhead isn't a rookie, brah.

Never draft a RB in the first round. You think our FO would get it after drafting Marshawn, Willis, Antoine Smith. Idiots

They don't. You might as well have a bunch of high school girls back there drafting.

No slam on high school girls is intended.

Woodhead isn't a rookie. And the Pats have an amazing O-line. As they usually have.

Woodhead undoubtedly benefits in his 3rd down role from playing behind a good OL. Problem is, Spiller's a 9th round pick that can't get on the field and was, according to Gailey, supposed to make the OL better. That's not happening, and even though he'll be around for awhile, he's behind in his transition to the pro game. They needed an immediate impact from their first round pick and haven't gotten it, OL or not.

The Pats time and time again show how it should be done. Great Ol and get a good player behind C, whether its Brady or Cassel. RB and WR are the most dependant position in football by FAR. Most any ole retread can succeed, just make sure they are smart and dont fumble. The Bills simply cannot understand that drafting RBs to improve your running game and drafting WRs to improve your passing game is ass-backwards. OLman and the QB get it done. After them comes TE. RB and WR dead freaking last.

Woodhead undoubtedly benefits in his 3rd down role from playing behind a good OL. Problem is, Spiller's a 9th round pick that can't get on the field and was, according to Gailey, supposed to make the OL better. That's not happening, and even though he'll be around for awhile, he's behind in his transition to the pro game. They needed an immediate impact from their first round pick and haven't gotten it, OL or not.

Fred is averaging 4.1 YPC and Spiller 3.8 YPC. It's more the O-line than anything else, regardless of what Gailey may have said.

And with Jackson and Lynch already aboard, Spiller didn't need to make an immediate impact. Even with Lynch gone, Spiller was expected/needs to be a change-of-pace RB. No one was expecting him to get a ton of carries (although I figured he'd get a lot more than he has). So (what will likely end-up being) over 1,500 yards from scrimmage isn't too far off from what most were thinking.

The Pats time and time again show how it should be done. Great Ol and get a good player behind C, whether its Brady or Cassel. RB and WR are the most dependant position in football by FAR. Most any ole retread can succeed, just make sure they are smart and dont fumble. The Bills simply cannot understand that drafting RBs to improve your running game and drafting WRs to improve your passing game is ass-backwards. OLman and the QB get it done. After them comes TE. RB and WR dead freaking last.

So the Pats got it right by getting Brady in the 6th and Cassel in the 7th? :rolleyes:

What about Rohan Davey? Kliff Kingbury?

He just hasn't shown good running instincts. Yes he's fast, but so is everyone else in the NFL. I'm not sure that this is going to change either. Running back is one of the easiest position to transition from college to the NFL. Either you can run or you can't. Sometimes backs need work in pass protection or ball security but rarely running.

Absolutely. Maybe my post looks like I've given up on him, but that's not what I meant. I think he still has a boatload of potential. I was just pointing out that the yardage THIS year isn't impressive to me. Except for the 90+ yard KO return for TD vs the Pats*

Even the announcers in yesterday's game said when they sat and talked with him the night before he couldn't believe the difference in the speed of the pro game opposed to the college game. They said the learning curve has been steep for him but I'm thinking he'll get it down. Maybe a Darren McFadden type of turn around next year!!

GO BILLS!!!

Is that for a punt returner or a punt catcher?

Please clarify, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Fred is averaging 4.1 YPC and Spiller 3.8 YPC. It's more the O-line than anything else, regardless of what Gailey may have said.

And with Jackson and Lynch already aboard, Spiller didn't need to make an immediate impact. Even with Lynch gone, Spiller was expected/needs to be a change-of-pace RB. No one was expecting him to get a ton of carries (although I figured he'd get a lot more than he has). So (what will likely end-up being) over 1,500 yards from scrimmage isn't too far off from what most were thinking.

To say Spiller wasn't expected to make an impact his rookie season is absurd. Why would you select a RB top 10 and then not expect them to get major touches? Tennessee didn't take Chris Johnson with the thought of him being a 3rd down back who played some special teams.

Spiller doesn't have and won't approach 1,500 yards from scrimmage in 2010. He's at 351 in 12 games right now who's been an a better PR than a KR. I don't remember when KR and PR yardage was included in the yards from scrimmage statistic.

Besides, I might argue the OL that took the field this year was better than last year's, given the lack of injuries and experience the younger guys now have. To cite the rushing yard per carry average as proof that the OL is the cause for FJ and CJ not being as good is ridiculous.

To say Spiller wasn't expected to make an impact his rookie season is absurd. Why would you select a RB top 10 and then not expect them to get major touches? Tennessee didn't take Chris Johnson with the thought of him being a 3rd down back who played some special teams.

Spiller doesn't have and won't approach 1,500 yards from scrimmage in 2010. He's at 351 in 12 games right now who's been an a better PR than a KR. I don't remember when KR and PR yardage was included in the yards from scrimmage statistic.

Besides, I might argue the OL that took the field this year was better than last year's, given the lack of injuries and experience the younger guys now have. To cite the rushing yard per carry average as proof that the OL is the cause for FJ and CJ not being as good is ridiculous.

My mistake. I meant total yards. Anyway he gains yards helps the team.

You can argue all you want about the OL being better this year in run blocking versus last year. But ask Chan Gailey how he feels about it.

Edited by Doc

Go figure.

Little difference in the two OLs?

Ask Bill which RB he would rather have?

My mistake. I meant total yards. Anyway he gains yards helps the team.

You can argue all you want about the OL being better this year in run blocking versus last year. But ask Chan Gailey how he feels about it.

Can I ask Chan if he still thinks Spiller makes the OL better?

Almost all rookies don't make an immediate impact. That's a fact of life in the NFL. There is a learning curve that most young players have to go through. How many highly drafted receivers have struggled in their first year or so and later developed to become accomplished players? The same learning curve process applies to most DBs. Kyle Williams is currently playing at a high level. In his first few years he was constantly being blown off of the line of scrimmage. With plenty of playing time he has developed into an impact player for the defense.

With respect to Spiller you have to factor in that our run blocking hasn't always been stellar. As the season has advanced, even without gaudy statistics, you can see him running with more authority and less willingness to bounce every play outsdie.

Not all investments give an immediate return. In my view, Spiller is presently one of the few players on our roster who is capable of being a big play player. You need to show a little more patience. I'm confident that it will pay dividends with this particular player.

Edited by JohnC

If you think those numbers are good, then I'm sorry you have such low standards for a top 10 pick. I expect a top 10 talent at the RB to produce immediately. Being outproduced by the likes of:

Lagarrette Blount, Jahvid Best, Chris Ivory, Ryan Mathews, Toby Gerhart.

Enough with the Spiller talks until he actually does something

When did he say that?

Gailey on Spiller

"Great backs do make your line better," Bills head coach Chan Gailey said. "I don't tell this to the offensive line, and you're going to write it... but I'll deny I said it. But that's what happens...

You saw tonight why we drafted C.J."

Shall we debate what the word "is" really means now?

Edited by BillsVet

There are flashes from Spiller that should make us patient, but the fact is that Spiller is having one of the worst rookie seasons of any first round draft pick in years. Guys come back from this - Deuce McAllister's rookie year was even worse - but I think it's time for fans to be very concerned about Spiller's lack of impact. Spiller's got to at least outrun Ryan Fitzpatrick before he's going to deserve any credit.

Gailey on Spiller

"Great backs do make your line better," Bills head coach Chan Gailey said. "I don't tell this to the offensive line, and you're going to write it... but I'll deny I said it. But that's what happens...

This is true. Great backs CAN make your line look better. Our line has been playing decent as of late. Where are you Mr. Spiller?

9 carries for 16 yds. Just a hair under 2 yds per carry. Sweeeet

You want to look at a GREAT draft pick? Look at Moats. Bad one? Spiller. Moats has shown me something. His numbers aren't off the charts but he's done something, and being a pass rusher as a rookie and getting sacks is A LOT harder than playing RB.

Edited by DreReed83

Gailey on Spiller

I don't put too much stock in pre-season performances (otherwise Joique Bell would be a Pro Bowler), or what Gailey said after a pre-season game. Spiller was met in the backfield 4 times against the Dols. That's on the O-line, not Spiller.

Edited by Doc

What I'm most impressed with in his rookie season is the few number of fumbles he's had. Rookie RBs are dismal at taking care of the football. Not so with Spiller. I'm looking forward to his sophomore season where we can add some end of line talent to help spring him, particularly around the tackles where he likes to rack up yardage.

Eric Wood

Andy Levitre

Oh and didnt the patriots draft a running back number 1 some years back? I could be wrong on what round it was

Almost all rookies don't make an immediate impact. That's a fact of life in the NFL. ...

Actually it's not. RB is the position with the shortest learning curve and rookie RBs have traditionally had a high rate of return in their rookie year. Almost no matter where you take them. 2nd RD RBs (MJD comes to mind) have been as productive as 1st, even 3rd and 4th rounders. Hell, even UDFA like Freddie. Which is why the RB position is the most overrated position in the modern NFL. You can find them ANYWHERE for cheap. The days of the single work horse RB are over. It's a tandem now. A cheap tandem.

Which is why picking a RB with the number 9 pick, no matter how good he is, when you already had 2 Pro Bowl caliber backs on the roster and multiple gaping holes at several key positions was a catastrophic f*&k-up for the front office. But they made the choice, so we have to deal with it. But then to take the 9th pick and NOT play him is even worse. The kid should be learning on the field, especially when your team is a miserable 4-10 and has no shot at the playoffs.

CJ Spiller has been a huge disappointment in his rookie year. There's no other way to color it. He needed to come in and be a game breaker from day one to validate the pick by the front office. He didn't. Don't make excuses now.

That doesn't mean he won't become a good back. But it's not a good sign that he is taking this long to adjust when RB is the easiest position to adjust to in the NFL. As history has repeatedly shown.

Please clarify, I have no idea what you're talking about.

ahhh the great punt catcher..........i believe that would be a throwback to my least favorite bill of all time, Mr. Chris Watson

Edited by Numark

Eric Wood

Andy Levitre

Oh and didnt the patriots draft a running back number 1 some years back? I could be wrong on what round it was

Laurence Maroney...21st overall in 1996 from the Minnesota Golden Gophers!!!!!

Anyone who says that drafting RB's in the first round is stupid.....is.....well.....misinformed and ignorant.

Please stop the madness with all this Spiller hating!!! I can't wait until he blows up, so I can shove it in the face of all you miserable, dried-up, stinky :censored: lickers. Give the kid a chance before you write him off as a "draft blunder."

CJ Spiller has been a huge disappointment in his rookie year. There's no other way to color it. He needed to come in and be a game breaker from day one to validate the pick by the front office. He didn't. Don't make excuses now.

No he doesn't have to come in and be a game breaker from day one. It would be nice, yeah, but he doesn't have to do that to validate anything. It's a marathon not a sprint. He has to learn the game like any other rookies. Some adjust faster than others. It's not like he hasn't shown his potential at all. He has. Look at Darren McFadden. It's taken him a few years, but finally the league is seeing his best and he's been a beast this season. All of this immediate gratification that's sweeping America now needs to cease. It's not realistic and rarely happens. Spiller should be fine. He's running harder, taking what's there better than he was earlier in the season. He's learning his lessons. Patience.

No he doesn't have to come in and be a game breaker from day one. It would be nice, yeah, but he doesn't have to do that to validate anything. It's a marathon not a sprint. He has to learn the game like any other rookies. Some adjust faster than others. It's not like he hasn't shown his potential at all. He has. Look at Darren McFadden. It's taken him a few years, but finally the league is seeing his best and he's been a beast this season. All of this immediate gratification that's sweeping America now needs to cease. It's not realistic and rarely happens. Spiller should be fine. He's running harder, taking what's there better than he was earlier in the season. He's learning his lessons. Patience.

Spiller would need to have two great games to catch up to Darren McFadden's hugely disappointing rookie year - he'd need to double his performance both on the ground and through the air in the last two games. People aren't pissed because CJ Spiller doesn't play like Thurman Thomas yet, or even because he doesn't play like Fred Jackson yet. People are pissed because Spiller is being outrushed by over 60 players, including his own quarterback and several undrafted free agents. There are exceptions (Thomas Jones, McFadden, Shaun Alexander) but the majority of running backs who have rookie seasons like this either tore an ACL in October, or else become Trung Canidate.

Laurence Maroney...21st overall in 1996 from the Minnesota Golden Gophers!!!!!

Anyone who says that drafting RB's in the first round is stupid.....is.....well.....misinformed and ignorant.

Please stop the madness with all this Spiller hating!!! I can't wait until he blows up, so I can shove it in the face of all you miserable, dried-up, stinky :censored: lickers. Give the kid a chance before you write him off as a "draft blunder."

I'm sure that was an honest mistake, but it was the 2006 draft, not the 1996! :P

There is a slight difference from when New England picked Maroney and Buffalo picking Spiller. NE was in a down year, winning the division with a 10-6 record and a year removed from back-to-back SB wins. It was a pretty solid team that was looking to find a replacement for Dillion. Spiller on the other hand was a high pick that is seen by many to be a luxury pick for a team that already had two better than average RBs on it.

I won't say that drafting a RB in the 1st is stupid, but it is not something that I, as a Patriots' fan, want New England to do. I just believe that there are much more difficult positions on the team to fill, and that for the most part a RB relies on those parts more than those parts rely on a RB.

SSDD