How I see Ryan Fitzpatrick

1billsfan

Is Fitzpatrick a "franchise" quarterback in the mold of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or even Jim Kelly? Probably not. I see him as becoming more of a hybrid franchise quarterback in the mold of a Phil Simms. Part lunch pail, part star QB. A guy who's very good (but not great) at the most important skills sets of an NFL quarterback...arm, leadership, intelligence (ok, maybe we'll give him great here), confidence, competitiveness, decision-making, scrambling ability. A guy you could get 5 or 6 very solid years out of, and with a very good running game and a very good defense he could no doubt guide you to a couple of superbowls and even put up a monster superbowl-winning game like Phil did against the Broncos.

If the Bills can find a big rock solid TE, we may already have the pieces in place on offense (crossing fingers on offensive line). The only thing left would be adding a few monster defenders through the upcoming drafts and free agency. I see this team as much closer to the big game than anyone here may think. I think that Fitzpatrick and the Bills finish off this season right by beating the fins, beating the pats and beating the jets. Yes I said it, they're going to beat the pats. You watch.

Watching some of the Giants last night I thought Eli Manning plays similarly to Ryan Fitzpatrick. His ints are not pretty, his accuracy is not always there, but he picks it up and keeps trying. Fitz has much better mobility, though.

Watching some of the Giants last night I thought Eli Manning plays similarly to Ryan Fitzpatrick. His ints are not pretty, his accuracy is not always there, but he picks it up and keeps trying. Fitz has much better mobility, though.

The Bills would do well to copy the winning blueprint of the Giants.

A mobile Eli is a good comparison. What you're saying, which I think is correct, is that Fitz is a guy who can win if you build around him. I'm just concerned that the Bills may never spend enough on coaching, scouting, and personnel to build enough of a team around a guy like Fitz.

I think they're about four or five good to great players short of a real run. To me, that isn't an insurmountable number. They have to get at least two of them in this coming draft.

There is a reason why there are only 1-2 great QBs in the NFL. By nature they are rare. I read posts that we have to get a franchise QB like it's something you get at Wal-Mart, like no other team in the NFL tries to find one? And nothing is guaranteed with Luck or Cam Newton. So when you have a very good QB like Fitz you don't toss him hoping to get lucky. Every NFL QB has some flaws in their game.

PTR

Obviously Fitz has all the intangibles and a lot of the attributes you've mentioned, but the thing that impresses me most about him is what a cool customer he is. You watch him before a first drive, during a time out, after a bad drive... he always looks the same. "Just tell me when I'm going back in." He never looks fazed or overly frustrated (at least after you give him about 30 seconds after an INT)... you can always see the football wheels turning. I think, when we do make the playoffs, or at least be in a big playoff altering situation, he'd be totally ready. Not overwhelmed, not nervous, not intimidated. I think that's a big deal for a QB.

Quick eyes, quick mind, quick release, quick feet . . . it amazes me that some of us are still unhappy and trying to get rid of Fitz.

Someone said he wasn't the "sexy pick" . . . I guess . . . I mean, the wedding ring may be a turn off . . . but it seems like we keep looking for reasons to dislike him because he doesn't have the history of play like a Manning or a Brady. I'm not saying he should be compared to these guys, but he's doing what you want your QB to do . . . PLAY WELL.

Obviously Fitz has all the intangibles and a lot of the attributes you've mentioned, but the thing that impresses me most about him is what a cool customer he is. You watch him before a first drive, during a time out, after a bad drive... he always looks the same. "Just tell me when I'm going back in." He never looks fazed or overly frustrated (at least after you give him about 30 seconds after an INT)... you can always see the football wheels turning. I think, when we do make the playoffs, or at least be in a big playoff altering situation, he'd be totally ready. Not overwhelmed, not nervous, not intimidated. I think that's a big deal for a QB.

This is a really good post.

I would add, and maybe one of the most important traits, confidence that he can lead them on a game-winning drive. Had it not been for drops and fumbles, we'd have 3 more wins (that I can recall).

At any rate, I can't remember who the last Bills QB was that made me believe he/they would march down the field and either win or tie a game on the last drive.

A mobile Eli is a good comparison. What you're saying, which I think is correct, is that Fitz is a guy who can win if you build around him. I'm just concerned that the Bills may never spend enough on coaching, scouting, and personnel to build enough of a team around a guy like Fitz.

Isn't that part of the reason why they hired Buddy Nix?

I would add, and maybe one of the most important traits, confidence that he can lead them on a game-winning drive. Had it not been for drops and fumbles, we'd have 3 more wins (that I can recall).

At any rate, I can't remember who the last Bills QB was that made me believe he/they would march down the field and either win or tie a game on the last drive.

Hell, I can't remember the last Bills QB that made me believe they could get a first down on third and long.

Right on. When he gets drilled in the back and his Helmut gets turned on his head from almost having his head taken off, he hops up and just spins his helmet around and calmly walks over to form the huddle, no ranting, screaming, whining to the ref, etc. Like most of the thinker QB's I think he will continue to improve and perfect his game. We may even all look back someday in disbelief about this Trent/Brohm/Fitz discussion many (myself too) bought into. He is a good QB and I am not so sure the "known" ceiling to his potential isn't shattered at this point.

As a side note I work with Steelers fans and Ravens fans who both commented knowing I bleed red and blue, Who is that Bills QB? He is really good…

It's interesting how he seems to play better in the second half of most games. Maybe due to his being very smart, he's able to figure out what adjustments to make. Other QB's can't figure that out as quick..

I also wonder if not having a legit #1 reciever isn't such a glaring weakness with Fitz. Again with his smarts he's able to walk up to the line, look at the defense and figure out, OK on the this play Martin will be the open guy, next play he looks agross and sees it Johnson, next time someone else, and throws to them.

I haven't heard much negitive wit hregards to his arm strength, just the accuracy issues. Maybe something he can work on in the offseason Don't know if it's mechanics or something physical??.

For years we have seen Bills teams get crushed because they couldn't make adjustments. Remember how Pats* defenders would laugh that they knew what the Bills were doing every play? Dick(less) Jauron's Pop Warner offense? I doubt they are saying that now. This team has come so far despite the record.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

There is a reason why there are only 1-2 great QBs in the NFL. By nature they are rare. I read posts that we have to get a franchise QB like it's something you get at Wal-Mart, like no other team in the NFL tries to find one? And nothing is guaranteed with Luck or Cam Newton. So when you have a very good QB like Fitz you don't toss him hoping to get lucky. Every NFL QB has some flaws in their game.

PTR

Brady and Peyton are clearly great qbs.

Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Vick, Matt Ryan are upper tier qbs. An argument can be made that Brees is in the same class or near the class of Peyton and Brady.

Shaub and Eli Manning are a cut below the upper class but they are also productive qbs.

There is no surprise that the above listed qbs with the exception of Shaub lead consistent playoff contending teams. With the exception of Shaub and Brady all the other qbs were taken very high in the draft.

If you have an opportunity to get a qb such as Luck you would be foolish not to take him, even with Fitz on your roster. With respect to Newton he is a rawer talent who would need to learn from a smart and solid player such as Fitz.

And nothing is guaranteed with Luck or Cam Newton. So when you have a very good QB like Fitz you don't toss him hoping to get lucky. Every NFL QB has some flaws in their game.

No player in the draft playing any positon is guaranteed of anything. That is the nature of the draft. Are you suggesting that we not draft players because of a fear of failure?Drafting a player such as Newton would not on the short term have an appreciable affect on Fitz. Rodgers sat behind Favre for a number of years before taking over. That worked out for the Green Bay franchise. The same scenario can happen with Newton.

Edited by JohnC

No player in the draft playing any positon is guaranteed of anything. That is the nature of the draft. Are you suggesting that we not draft players because of a fear of failure?Drafting a player such as Newton would not on the short term have an appreciable affect on Fitz. Rodgers sat behind Favre for a number of years before taking over. That worked out for the Green Bay franchise. The same scenario can happen with Newton.

You know as well as I do that if you draft a QB in round 1 there will be constant calls to play him over Fitz. Every incomplete pass or INT there will be calls for the rookie. We don't need that. We need a defensive stud with pick #1. Get a QB in a later round if you want to groom someone, or wait till next year, or the year after that. It seems there are 2-3 can't-miss-guaranteed-pro-bowl QBs coming out every year....at least that's what Kiper and McShay tell me.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Vick, Matt Ryan are upper tier qbs. An argument can be made that Brees is in the same class or near the class of Peyton and Brady.

Shaub and Eli Manning are a cut below the upper class but they are also productive qbs.

There is no surprise that the above listed qbs with the exception of Shaub lead consistent playoff contending teams. With the exception of Shaub and Brady all the other qbs were taken very high in the draft.

If you have an opportunity to get a qb such as Luck you would be foolish not to take him, even with Fitz on your roster. With respect to Newton he is a rawer talent who would need to learn from a smart and solid player such as Fitz.

Drafting Newton over a stud defensive play maker would be the dumbest mover ever made by this franchise, and that's saying something.

You know as well as I do that if you draft a QB in round 1 there will be constant calls to play him over Fitz. Every incomplete pass or INT there will be calls for the rookie. We don't need that. We need a defensive stud with pick #1. Get a QB in a later round if you want to groom someone, or wait till next year, or the year after that. It seems there are 2-3 can't-miss-guaranteed-pro-bowl QBs coming out every year....at least that's what Kiper and McShay tell me.

PTR

If the scouting department truly believes that Newton is an upper tier qb prospect then it would be foolish not to take him. If they think he is not at that level then don't take him. The problem I have with the notion that every year there are 2-3 can't miss qb prospects is that there is a time frame to develop qbs. Also, just because there might be a couple of good qb prospects every year that doesn't mean that you are in position to get that caliber of qb.

With respect to the probability of the fans clamoring for the prospect qb over the starter my response is simple: Who cares what the fans think? The coaches and the organization make decisions on what is best for the team. They don't make decision to please the numerous moronic fans. Fickle fans are all over the place with their opinions on players. It would be utterly foolish for any organization to make their decisions based on polling the fans.

The Bills are in a rebuilding mode. No one could deny that. They are a few years away from being a serious team. Getting a high caliber qb prospect sooner rather than later is better for a rebuilding team.

I don't understand the argument that if you draft a qb with your first pick that you can't get good defensive prospects with the other picks. Last year, the Bills took Spiller with their first pick and devoted a large segment of the rest of the draft to the defensive side of the ball. In addition, free agency is another avenue to upgrade the defense.

Drafting Newton over a stud defensive play maker would be the dumbest mover ever made by this franchise, and that's saying something.

If the scouting department has Newton rated ahead of the other defensive players why would it be a dumb move? I'm sure you are aware that the Bills have more than one pick in the draft? The Bills also can use the free agency route to improve the defense.

Edited by JohnC

PTR

Seriously? You bring rational thought to this conversation? Some Bills fan you are. :ph34r:

If the Bills can find a big rock solid TE, we may already have the pieces in place on offense (crossing fingers on offensive line). The only thing left would be adding a few monster defenders through the upcoming drafts and free agency. I see this team as much closer to the big game than anyone here may think. I think that Fitzpatrick and the Bills finish off this season right by beating the fins, beating the pats and beating the jets. Yes I said it, they're going to beat the pats. You watch.

You see, this is what the Bills have done for the better part of 15 years, and it resulted in losing football games.

As of today, Schaub is the 13th ranked QB, Eli Manning the 18th ranked, and Fitzpatrick the 19th ranked. Here are some relevant stats

Schaub 20 TD 10 Int 7.5 Yds/Attempt 90.5 Rating

E. Manning 24 TD 19 Int 7.2 Yds/attempt 86.1 Rating

Fitzpatrick 21 TD 11 Int 6.7 Yds/Attempt 85.0 Rating

If as you say a team can contend (or even win a Super Bowl, over the undefeated Patriots, in perhaps the greatest upset in SB history, as E. Manning's team did) with Scahub or Manning at QB (both of them on much more talented teams than the Bills) then I think Fitzpatrick can do as well, if the Bills improve in other areas.

I think the Bills would be better served, and see the playoffs sooner, if they draft an OT, DT, DE, or LB in the first instead of a QB.

We'll see...

Defensive Stud huh? Like Tyson Jackson or Aaron Curry? The 1st 2 Defensive Players taken in the 2009 Draft...There's no guarantees on that side of the field either...A guy like Suh is about as rare as a Franchise QB...

This type of future seeing is impossible...I'd rather most of you just be honest, profess your love for all things Fitzpatrick, and just admit you want to put the future of this Franchise in his hands...Or simply say it's your opinion that Fitz will be a better QB than Newton in the NFL...But "the dumbest move ever?" Really? Have you actually seen Aaron Maybin play Football? Well neither has anyone else truthfully...And we Drafted him at #11 Overall...But Drafting a 6-6 Heisman Trophy winning QB who is about to win the National Championship, had 49 combined Passing, Rushing and Recieving TD's along with 4000 All Purpose Yards in the toughest Conference in College Football would be "the dumbest move ever?" A little premature and dramatic don't you think? ;)

I understand the risks with Newton and I'm not even saying The Bills should Draft him...But if they do I won't mind at all...If Gailey can make Fitz look as good as he has I'd LOVE to see what he can do with an athlete like Newton...And we'd still have Fitz for 2011 regardless...I actually feel a bit for Fitz because I don't want to disrespect the guy...He's come a long way...And no question a guy like Newton can crash and burn...But he could also end up being better than anyone can imagine...The buzz and initial excitement Newton would bring to this Franchise would be incredible...And the thought of passing on a Kid like that and seeing him blossom while the Bills struggle for another 10 years has me thinking if that's what Nix and Gailey want to do sobeit...I''m not saying that's what will happen, I'm just saying the thought of it is nauseating...And if they want to build around Fitz I'm fine with that too...As long as Newton falls flat on his face...If The Bills pass on Newton and he becomes a stud it's going to be awfully hard for them to live it down any time soon...B-)

Maybe I'll get torn apart for this, but I think too many people are too quick to provide the caveat, "not a franchise/star/etc." I think he is a good qb right now, and I think he could blossom into a top 5 qb (a rough description of what I consider "franchise"). Is Brady the barometer here? Have you seen his offensive line play? A handful of qbs would look just as dominant with the coaching and line play of new england* - and I'm not taking anything away from Brady, he's an excellent qb. I guess my point is that while fitz may not be elite right now, I think he has that potential. I am very excited to see what an offseason as the entrenched starter (focus of the position coaches, film room, etc) will yield.

-Not saying he is elite right now. However it wouldn't surprise me if he became what many consider 'elite.'

Edited by NickelCity

We'll see...

Defensive Stud huh? Like Tyson Jackson or Aaron Curry? The 1st 2 Defensive Players taken in the 2009 Draft...There's no guarantees on that side of the field either...A guy like Suh is about as rare as a Franchise QB...

This type of future seeing is impossible...I'd rather most of you just be honest, profess your love for all things Fitzpatrick, and just admit you want to put the future of this Franchise in his hands...Or simply say it's your opinion that Fitz will be a better QB than Newton in the NFL...But "the dumbest move ever?" Really? Have you actually seen Aaron Maybin play Football? Well neither has anyone else truthfully...And we Drafted him at #11 Overall...But Drafting a 6-6 Heisman Trophy winning QB who is about to win the National Championship, had 49 combined Passing, Rushing and Recieving TD's along with 4000 All Purpose Yards in the toughest Conference in College Football would be "the dumbest move ever?" A little premature and dramatic don't you think? ;)

I understand the risks with Newton and I'm not even saying The Bills should Draft him...But if they do I won't mind at all...If Gailey can make Fitz look as good as he has I'd LOVE to see what he can do with an athlete like Newton...And we'd still have Fitz for 2011 regardless...I actually feel a bit for Fitz because I don't want to disrespect the guy...He's come a long way...And no question a guy like Newton can crash and burn...But he could also end up being better than anyone can imagine...The buzz and initial excitement Newton would bring to this Franchise would be incredible...And the thought of passing on a Kid like that and seeing him blossom while the Bills struggle for another 10 years has me thinking if that's what Nix and Gailey want to do sobeit...I''m not saying that's what will happen, I'm just saying the thought of it is nauseating...And if they want to build around Fitz I'm fine with that too...As long as Newton falls flat on his face...If The Bills pass on Newton and he becomes a stud it's going to be awfully hard for them to live it down any time soon...B-)

Well stated. I can understand people wanting to go in different directions with respect to the draft. But completely dismissing as being preposterous the proposition that the Bills should pursue a highly rated qb prospect makes no sense.

The Bills are a very staid and backwater franchise. That is why their record is what it has been for almost a generation. I can somewhat understand the infatuation with Fitz and his compelling storyline. A Harvard grad and a nice person who has finally performed at an adequate level for a qb starved franchise. It is similar to the Flutie affect i.e. being cute with average success. What the fans don't understand is that Fitz is an average talented qb who has a lot of moxie. That is not ever going to elevate this franchise to a level of competing for something worth competing for. Some people are satisfied with striving to be average. Not I.

I want so bad to believe that Fitz is the answer for this team. It's no secret that he's an excellent leader, and you can tell that the rest of the players respect him both on and off the field. He also has the ability to be productive when it counts, and bounce back from interceptions and bad plays. Plus he's just a genuinely likeable guy, you want him to succeed when you see him play and you feel for the guy during press conferences after a loss. He really cares and he'll fight until the last minute of the game.

However, no matter how much I want it, I just don't see him taking this team out of a decade long slump. I do think we could be a playoff team with Fitz at the helm, but not a true superbowl contender. He just makes too many mistakes, and when you are playing a superbowl-caliber team those mistakes mean lost games in the playoffs. I really think we need a true franchise quarterback in order to go all the way. I mean, that is the goal right?

If Fitz proves me wrong, I'll be downright happy about it. But for the first time in a while we may be in a position to draft a potentially great quarterback. If the opportunity is there, you can't pass it up.

But for the first time in a while we may be in a position to draft a potentially great quarterback.

If Luck is there, I'm behind taking him. Other than him, I wouldn't take another QB until the mid-rounds, it just doesn't make sense with the team we have right now.

now if only the coaching staff and front office would listen to US. Do the right thing Chan, you know that you have the future QB use him and make us the fans happy. Hwy do the Bills play harder? simple they believe in Fitz and he is a leader.

oh yeah its nice to see the possitiveness out of the fans