Does anyone believe he won't get over this

Anyone who has made it in the NFL has had their share of disappointments. He played for Kentucky in the SEC against teams like LSU, Fl, and Alabama. He is Humbled (TX) and will move on.

He'll be over it by Christmas...

Anyone who has made it in the NFL has had their share of disappointments. He played for Kentucky in the SEC against teams like LSU, Fl, and Alabama. He is Humbled (TX) and will move on.

He has had one week of real highs and he will have had one week of real lows, maybe he can concentrate of football and recover his image. He brought it all on himself with the assinine shirt crap, the moronic hair cutting and being on any talk show that would have him last week.

He'll be over it by this coming Sunday. He'll learn from it and use it as a stepping stone towards getting better. I believe he will.

I recall seeing Roy Williams smiling on the sidelines when he lost a ball that might have given the Cowboys a win. Totally shocking to see. No heart. SJ has heart.

Stevie most of us have your back!! We believe you can be a great one if you keep at it. SJ reminds me of a young Andre Reed with his swirving moves after the catch putting defenders off balance. He'll bounce back.

Go Bills!!

He'll be over it by this coming Sunday. He'll learn from it and use it as a stepping stone towards getting better. I believe he will.

I recall seeing Roy Williams smiling on the sidelines when he lost a ball that might have given the Cowboys a win. Totally shocking to see. No heart. SJ has heart.

Stevie most of us have your back!! We believe you can be a great one if you keep at it. SJ reminds me of a young Andre Reed with his swirving moves after the catch putting defenders off balance. He'll bounce back.

Go Bills!!

Pils, I was in Dallas for Thanksgiving and I saw all the local coverage after the game. Williams was basically blamed by the Dallas media and the fans. He handled it with a quiet class and dignity. I don't know much about Williams but what I saw was a quiet and unassuming man that looked mentally strong.

Roy Williams felt bad, was not smiling or happy, he dealt directly with the media and answered the questions about the fumble, he kept his cool, he assumed full blame, and was fully backed by his teammates.

Edited by Bob in STL

It's not like it cost us the playoffs. Anyone who has a bad day should look at why things didn't go well and work on improving. Andre Reed used to catch hundreds of balls in practice to improve his skills.

On a related note, Mr. Lindell looks like he is out of his slump. :flirt:

I saw a clip of Chan talking about that last night.

I hurt for him,But in this business, there's two types of people — the humble and the humbled — and if you're not in the first group, you'll be in the second group at some point in time. I just told him that's the way it goes sometimes. You can go from the penthouse to the outhouse in a hurry, but how you handle it is the key.

Despite what anyone might think of Gailey as a head coach, no one can say he doesn't know how to mentor young players. That drop might be the best thing that could have happened for Johnson's long term career.

Edited by CodeMonkey

It's not like it cost us the playoffs. Anyone who has a bad day should look at why things didn't go well and work on improving. Andre Reed used to catch hundreds of balls in practice to improve his skills.

On a related note, Mr. Lindell looks like he is out of his slump. :flirt:

This is what softens the blow for me. I really wanted to knock off the Steelers, but because it didn't affect anything but draft position for the Bills, I'll be over it almost as quick as Stevie will be.

I honestly believe this low was great, and i trust Gailey will drive the message home... Focus and play great and getting a lot of media attention leads to lost focus and piss poor play. Learn to handle the media without it interfering with your focus and play and become one of the great.

He has had one week of real highs and he will have had one week of real lows, maybe he can concentrate of football and recover his image. He brought it all on himself with the assinine shirt crap, the moronic hair cutting and being on any talk show that would have him last week.

Well, we can add some new ones to the list:

Reasons why Stevie dropped the TD:

1. He twitters

2. His haircut

3. He wrote on his shirt with a marker

When did we ever see a Bills player put our logo on his head like that? I love that haircut. You all complain he's a hot dog and I see a guy who loves our team and gives a crap. Can't make Bills fans happy :doh:

PTR

Who has complained about him being a hotdog? If there are complaints about his self-promoting behavior it is from a miniscule percentage of people. Almost all the commentary about his critical TD drop has been very sympathetic and supportive. You create a fictitious bogeyman and then respond to that mirage.

Who cares about his dufuss haircut? Who cares about his incessant inane twittering? The coach has made statements that he has to concentrate and be more focused. When one seeks the spotlight then don't be surprised when the spotlight is hot and intense.

I like Stevie Johnson and the way he has come along. But as evident by his numerous drops he has too many lapses. He needs to do a let less self-promoting and be more focused on his job.

Edited by JohnC

Who has complained about him being a hotdog? If there are complaints about his self-promoting behavior it is from a miniscule percentage of people. Almost all the commentary about his critical TD drop has been very sympathetic and supportive. You create a fictitious bogeyman and then respond to that mirage.

Who cares about his dufuss haircut? Who cares about his incessant inane twittering? The coach has made statements that he has to concentrate and be more focused. When one seeks the spotlight then don't be surprised when the spotlight is hot and intense.

I like Stevie Johnson and the way he has come along. But as evident by his numerous drops he has too many lapses. He needs to do a let less self-promoting and be more focused on his job.

Please explain how an interview during the week or a twitter message affects his ability to catch a ball on sunday.

Pils, I was in Dallas for Thanksgiving and I saw all the local coverage after the game. Williams was basically blamed by the Dallas media and the fans. He handled it with a quiet class and dignity. I don't know much about Williams but what I saw was a quiet and unassuming man that looked mentally strong.

Roy Williams felt bad, was not smiling or happy, he dealt directly with the media and answered the questions about the fumble, he kept his cool, he assumed full blame, and was fully backed by his teammates.

They did show him on the sideline with a giant grin.... Just saying

I've loved the production from Stevie the last 6 weeks, but the way he has dealt with the success hasn't been encouraging. In my mind, he's a rookie (1st time he's seen any real PT), on a non-contending team that has put up some great numbers during a small sample period. The haircut, Joker Touchdown and the way he dealt with his mistake on Sunday (sulking in the end zone and on the sideline, God Tweet etc.) all point to a lot of immaturity and a "Diva" personality with a focus on self before team.

I'm sure he bounces back from this. I just hope he does it with his mouth shut and lets his play on the field doing the talking.

I saw a clip of Chan talking about that last night.

Despite what anyone might think of Gailey as a head coach, no one can say he doesn't know how to mentor young players. That drop might be the best thing that could have happened for Johnson's long term career.

Let's hope he takes the proper mindset and puts it out of his mind. The next step would be to improve that area of his game by catching lots of extra balls, working on hand strength and flexibility, and proper hand positioning. It's all basic stuff, but re examining the fundamentals after failure is always a good thing to do.

When did we ever see a Bills player put our logo on his head like that? I love that haircut. You all complain he's a hot dog and I see a guy who loves our team and gives a crap. Can't make Bills fans happy :doh:

PTR

Maybin did the same thing back when Stevie was in dreds.

Go back to the 80's and see Leonard Smith. Stevie is not the first.

They did show him on the sideline with a giant grin.... Just saying

And they showed Johnson on the sideline all by himself, leaning against a wall, wallowing in self pity. If our defense forces a turnover was Stevie ready to go back in?

Just sayin'

Every single one of your posts sucks a more little life out of this board. You probably make your staff work on Christmas.

I honestly believe this low was great, and i trust Gailey will drive the message home... Focus and play great and getting a lot of media attention leads to lost focus and piss poor play. Learn to handle the media without it interfering with your focus and play and become one of the great.

I tknow some people will disregard the msg and just say what a doosh Chris Carter is - but I think he hit the nail on the head this week when he said it was an issue of focus. To be a good/great player requires conistent focus every day on the task at hand - and young players are esp. susceptible to losing that focus and not controlling the emotion/hype day-day/week-week esp after some success - and Johnson was obviously eating it up last week.

I personally think it is likely Stevie has had some maturity issues. I think it is telling that Gailey brought out the humble quote not once, but twice in the past two weeks - both after the success and the failure. Gailey to me is definitely a guy who when he says something he chooses his words very specifically and there is extreme weight behind what he is saying.

Think about if Stevie had made that catch to beat the Steelers in overtime in such a dramatic fashion - what the media blow-up would have been then (and who knows what could have been written on his undershirt last Sun as well to add to it). If it is true he was starting to go down a path where he was getting caught up in the media atention/hype - it would have gone off the chain if he had made that catch. Honestly - as much fun as some of that stuff is - the last thing I would have wanted to see was him become THAT receiver guy - the cheap-TO/OchoCinco-clowning-TD-celebration-du-jour-stunt guy. If the drop means a new humility, and a new-found dedication and focus to the job of catching the football, I'm starting to think that ultimately the drop could end up being the best thing that could have happened to him (and us) in the long run.

I tknow some people will disregard the msg and just say what a doosh Chris Carter is - but I think he hit the nail on the head this week when he said it was an issue of focus. To be a good/great player requires conistent focus every day on the task at hand - and young players are esp. susceptible to losing that focus and not controlling the emotion/hype day-day/week-week esp after some success - and Johnson was obviously eating it up last week.

I personally think it is likely Stevie has had some maturity issues. I think it is telling that Gailey brought out the humble quote not once, but twice in the past two weeks - both after the success and the failure. Gailey to me is definitely a guy who when he says something he chooses his words very specifically and there is extreme weight behind what he is saying.

Think about if Stevie had made that catch to beat the Steelers in overtime in such a dramatic fashion - what the media blow-up would have been then (and who knows what could have been written on his undershirt last Sun as well to add to it). If it is true he was starting to go down a path where he was getting caught up in the media atention/hype - it would have gone off the chain if he had made that catch. Honestly - as much fun as some of that stuff is - the last thing I would have wanted to see was him become THAT receiver guy - the cheap-TO/OchoCinco-clowning-TD-celebration-du-jour-stunt guy. If the drop means a new humility, and a new-found dedication and focus to the job of catching the football, I'm starting to think that ultimately the drop could end up being the best thing that could have happened to him (and us) in the long run.

Very good post. Your asessment of Chan is also spot on. I am in the monority here as I do not see the celebrations as fun and I don't need them to enjoy the great things this game has to offer. One of them being sportsmanship.

You hit a home run.

This is a good post for the most part. I think your assessment of Chan is pretty solid too. However, Stevie admitted numerous times over the course of the week that he was done with celebrations because he simply couldn't afford any more fines. I highly doubt he had anything on his shirt, especially since the same stunt would have merited an even greater fine.

I also find it hypocritical when guys like Carter say Twitter and the like are major forms of distraction during the week. They are in no position to judge this because these mediums were not around during their playing times. Who's to say they wouldn't have used it as well. Chris Carter wasn't the most modest player either.