This Game Will Be A Great Opportunity

Bill from NYC

Bell isn't a rookie. What is this, year 3?

The Steelers have a very good defense. Bell has been holding his own to a limited extent this season. I am curious to see how he does against the Steelers D. Bell plays next to a good, and improving LG. He also gets a lot of help. Tomorrow would seem to be a good time to look at him to see exactly what we have.

Imo, Demarcus Love would enter this league as a better LT than Bell. Many posters think that devoting the early picks to defense is a given. I tend to disagree. We did this (after the Spiller debacle) with Troup and Carrington in 2010.

If we don't take a QB in round 1 (and I openly hope we take Mallett), I think the biggest need we have is at OT. Before the Colts drafted Manning, they took Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows in rounds 1 and 2. This worked for them big time.

My point is that if Bell has a chance (which I personally doubt) to be a dominant LT, this affords the team other options. So, I think this week is a very good time for us to make an honest appraisal of Bell.

I know I will be watching closely.

The Steelers have a very good defense. Bell has been holding his own to a limited extent this season. I am curious to see how he does against the Steelers D. Bell plays next to a good, and improving LG. He also gets a lot of help. Tomorrow would seem to be a good time to look at him to see exactly what we have.

Imo, Demarcus Love would enter this league as a better LT than Bell. Many posters think that devoting the early picks to defense is a given. I tend to disagree. We did this (after the Spiller debacle) with Troup and Carrington in 2010.

If we don't take a QB in round 1 (and I openly hope we take Mallett), I think the biggest need we have is at OT. Before the Colts drafted Manning, they took Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows in rounds 1 and 2. This worked for them big time.

My point is that if Bell has a chance (which I personally doubt) to be a dominant LT, this affords the team other options. So, I think this week is a very good time for us to make an honest appraisal of Bell.

It used to be that to win in the NFL you had to run and stop the run. That's changed to pass, protect your passer, and stop the other team from passing. I think Bell will be left on his own and go 1 on 1 with Harrison quite a bit tomorrow too Bill.

That Steelers defense gets accolades for rushing the passer, but I believe their yielding the fewest rushing yards per game as well. If Buffalo can't run the ball to keep them honest, it makes life even more difficult for guys like Bell, because the team will be in pass mode more often.

Undoubtedly Fitzpatrick makes a poor group of OT's look better by getting rid of the ball faster. But he hasn't endured the pressure from elite pass rushers since the Chicago game, when the Bears hit him 12 times. I expect more 3 step drops, but yes I agree, a team with better OT's allows the QB to do more while dropping back. Fewer 3 step drops and time to see his options would make this offense even better.

Wrotto will get help from the TE, but Bell's matchup with Harrison should be a good barometer to tell if the much hyped 3rd year OT is really capable of handling top rushers.

I just read an article today that Bell hasn't given up a sack this year. That's a big inprovement from last year. And it seems he is continually getting better. The Pitt game WILL tell us more about just how far he has come. But to say that left tackle is the bills biggest need I just don't believe this to be true. We have the worst run D in the nfl. Something must be done about this. I think we need a stud lb or de or tackle. but I see the Bills taking BPA other than a running back.(I know, I know- a lot of you are saying they've been that stupid before but as far as I am concerned, Spiller was a need pic)

So, it will be curious to see what they actually do this year. I personally don't care what position we draft in the first round other than wr and rb. We just need a stud at wherever we pic.

It will be a good test for Bell and I'm also interested in seeing Bell getting a full offseason to train healthy. However, I don't understand the urge of some people wanting to move him to RT. As of right now he doesn't have the brute power to fit there and it really doesn't suit his style IMO. I would be fine with a Mallet 1st Demarcus Love (or one of the many other RT prospects) 2nd draft though Bill! Love is built like a RT although it would also be nice to have the option of probably being able to move him to LT if we had to down the line. I think he could eventually play either side in the NFL.

I just read an article today that Bell hasn't given up a sack this year. That's a big inprovement from last year. And it seems he is continually getting better. The Pitt game WILL tell us more about just how far he has come. But to say that left tackle is the bills biggest need I just don't believe this to be true. We have the worst run D in the nfl. Something must be done about this. I think we need a stud lb or de or tackle. but I see the Bills taking BPA other than a running back.(I know, I know- a lot of you are saying they've been that stupid before but as far as I am concerned, Spiller was a need pic)

So, it will be curious to see what they actually do this year. I personally don't care what position we draft in the first round other than wr and rb. We just need a stud at wherever we pic.

I was surprised to read that to, though the article does say that's by "The News' count" - (from reading the weekly game threads, you'd think he's been getting beaten 'like a red-headed set-child!') - the article's linked on the TBD home page, but I know a lot of folks come straight to TSW so here it is again...

It's Bell's time to shine (Buffalo News/Mark Gaughn)

Edited by The Senator

I was surprised to read that to, though the article does say that's by "The News' count" - it's linked on the TBD home page, but I know a lot of folks come straight to TSW so here it is again...

Guess I shouldn't have been so lazy and provided the link. thanks senator. And for the spelling police, just noticed I spelled improvement wrong. deepest apologies.

Not only this game but the remaining ones against the Jets and Vikes will be telling as well. As for draft plans for next year, I think this regime seriously believes in BPA and as I have said before, I don't like a slavish adherence to one particular strategy. Which means that if the BPA is not at a position of need, either 'reach' for a pick placed a couple of spots lower or trade down. I hated the Spiller pick and nothing so far has made me change my opinion, despite me desperately wanting to be proven wrong.

Back to your topic on OT, if Bell plays even adequately the rest of the year, we can get somewhere close to a happy place with the BPA plan. The choice between OT (and by that I mean LT), LB or DE will be equivalent. A franchise QB trumps all ofcourse, despite the stellar performance of Fitzy.

I was surprised to read that to, though the article does say that's by "The News' count" - (from reading the weekly game threads, you'd think he's been getting beaten 'like a red-headed set-child!') - the article's linked on the TBD home page, but I know a lot of folks come straight to TSW so here it is again...

Not sure what they are counting exactly. I recall Bell giving up a sack earlier in the season.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/10/15/o-line-em-up-sacks-allowed-stats-for-each-and-every-team/

I'm looking forward to seeing how some of the newer guys do against a tough "D". I'll be watching Bell, and I'm gonna keep an eye on Urbiak too. It would be great if he turned out to be a reliable back-up. He was a 3rd round pick last year and the Steelers cut him at the end of training camp this year. Don't know what the issue with him was; hopefully he doesn't suck!

Ironic that going into the season everyone (or a lot of the national media) thought that the O Line and Bell in particular would be our downfall. Run D, I'm looking at you...

If Bell and Ftiz finish out the season strong, our options in the draft open up!

Looking forward to seeing what happens tomorrow for sure.

I always find it funny that people say well we could always move him to RT, it never works that way. Sometimes a good RT moves to LT because they are really good and the skills are translatable doing that. It rarely works the other way (and mostly doesn't work to move a RT to a LT ie. Langston Walker), they are for the most part different skill sets.

I think we have to consider this game kind of important for Bell but there are still many mitigating circumstances in his play this year. Number one the injury and the fact that it must still be bothering him since he is still sitting out on Wednesdays. Number 2 would be the gelling factor, lines need time playing together. I hate that fans of this team just discount that every year. I am glad for the most part these 4 guys have played together this year. That along with Fitz's play and our set of crack blockers (which is Bell's "help" most the time BTW) is making a pretty big difference IMO.

I like Ubrik so far, looked good last week when Wood was sitting. I like the way Buddy and Chan are playing this line stuff out this season. It is good they cut people and bring in who they think they can work with who might help. The extra long preseason tryouts get a :thumbsup: from me. If for no other reason even if we do draft some OL next year we have players who played some this year for back up in a probable 18 game season.

Edited by bowery4

Where are the Bell haters today? Nowhere to be found. In fact, where's the "draft OL at all costs" brigade?

Silent, as they should be.

Amen ... Bell has played a solid season so far .. not to say he has not had issues but he seems to be coming on. The front seven of the D - with the exception of Williams and Poz is far more of a concern than o- line. Troupe is getting more playing tome so hopefully he is learning.

Where are the Bell haters today? Nowhere to be found. In fact, where's the "draft OL at all costs" brigade?

I will bite. I wasn't and still am not on the 'at all costs' side but to say that we should turn away from drafting OL high is being short sighted. We still cannot gen enough push to make a critical 3rd and short. While we are much better than last year, I wouldn't shy away from drafting top flight OL talent in the earlier rounds.

I will bite. I wasn't and still am not on the 'at all costs' side but to say that we should turn away from drafting OL high is being short sighted. We still cannot gen enough push to make a critical 3rd and short. While we are much better than last year, I wouldn't shy away from drafting top flight OL talent in the earlier rounds.

Draft the best player available at a position of need. We know they need help in the defensive front 7. As of now more than the Oline. But if a blue chipper is available grab him. Nix says he will stack players so anything is possible. But the Oline is looking much better across the board and Bell especially.

Draft the best player available at a position of need. We know they need help in the defensive front 7. As of now more than the Oline. But if a blue chipper is available grab him. Nix says he will stack players so anything is possible. But the Oline is looking much better across the board and Bell especially.

Yeah, I agree. Right now, tie goes to the defense if there are 2 players you feel good about at your draft slot, but if Nix is feeling good about an OL, he should take him if he really feels the lineman is the BPA. Really, outside of WRs, DBs, and RBs, it's BPA across the board.

Bill, I'll be interested to read your take on Bell's game. But, from my perspective, he had another solid game. The one sack he may have missed an assignment? He took the outside rusher and Harrison(?) stunted inside to get the sack. Again, not sure that's a miss on Bell, but other than that one play he seemed pretty solid.

At this point in the season, I'd say the line is steadily improving. I think they still need to work on their communication. But, all in all, they're looking like an improving unit each week.

Bill, I'll be interested to read your take on Bell's game. But, from my perspective, he had another solid game. The one sack he may have missed an assignment? He took the outside rusher and Harrison(?) stunted inside to get the sack. Again, not sure that's a miss on Bell, but other than that one play he seemed pretty solid.

At this point in the season, I'd say the line is steadily improving. I think they still need to work on their communication. But, all in all, they're looking like an improving unit each week.

Fitz has only been sacked 9 times in the past 6 games, with KC(3) and Pit(2) being the only games where he was sacked more than once. Considering in those 6 games, Fitz has attempted 254 passes, that is a VERY respectable 3.5% sack rate, which actually is one of the lowest rates in the NFL...

Was that the one where Levitre went to Harrison's legs and whiffed?

Was that the one where Levitre went to Harrison's legs and whiffed?

I think so. I didn't DVR the game, so I can't confirm. But, from what I recall the defense stunted and Levitre missed Harrison, Bell rode his guy out of the play. So, I'd say Levitre missed the block, not Bell. But, I can't recall if there was a RB that could have picked up the outside guy meaning Bell should have stayed on Harrison more. Even still, if that's the only play in question, I'd say it was a good game against a tough team.

How long has it been since we could say that neither the Oline nor the QB are the reason we lost the game (and there's no tougher test than facing the Steelers defense)?

I think so. I didn't DVR the game, so I can't confirm. But, from what I recall the defense stunted and Levitre missed Harrison, Bell rode his guy out of the play. So, I'd say Levitre missed the block, not Bell. But, I can't recall if there was a RB that could have picked up the outside guy meaning Bell should have stayed on Harrison more. Even still, if that's the only play in question, I'd say it was a good game against a tough team.

How long has it been since we could say that neither the Oline nor the QB are the reason we lost the game (and there's no tougher test than facing the Steelers defense)?

Too damn long. Gailey is very good coach, he has his players in position to make positive plays, it's great to see.

I was kind of chuckling there in the second half when Kugler's line was making our DL look like world beaters (ok, maybe mini-me edition, but you know what I mean). Been a long time since we've seen anything like that.

I remember back when we hired Gailey and he named D'Alesandris the OL coach, some poster was mad that we let go of Kugler and was raving about the Steelers being smart for hiring him.

I was never impressed with the work he did with us.

Never a bell basher , and was not a draft a tackle at all cost in the first round, but I was a believer that we needed big time help on the o line when the season started. I was wrong. Lets hope they put together a front 7 next year and see what happens . Things are looking up .

I was kind of chuckling there in the second half when Kugler's line was making our DL look like world beaters (ok, maybe mini-me edition, but you know what I mean). Been a long time since we've seen anything like that.

I thought the same thing - amazing what "Koogs" and Jonathan Scott will do for you...

So what did you think about Bell and the OL as a whole yesterday? The suspense is killing me!

Our biggest need will be from either a pass rushing/run stuffing DE... or a run stuffing/penetrating DT (depending on our defensive set. After that we need smart, athletic LB's (again, depends on our D set). I would look at O-line help too, but not until Rd 3 or 4. I guess it depends on whether the O-line continues to play well, and maybe who we can score in the off season.