I am off the Fitzpatrick bandwagon

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the Quarterback situation in Buffalo. Personally, I have seen enough. I didn't say much because I needed to see 4 or 5 more games in Buffalo. I saw 4 games with the Bengals about 10 with Buffalo.

I am not going to make excuses anymore. This guy reminds me of rookie cop at the firing range that shoots out the water cooler.

I hope he gets better but if he doesn't I still want to see Brian Brohm or draft a new QB.

Should you decide to stick with Brohm, I wish you well!

Edited by The Wang From Sang

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the Quarterback situation in Buffalo. Personally, I have seen enough. I didn't say much because I needed to see 4 or 5 more games in Buffalo. I saw 4 games with the Bengals about 10 with Buffalo.

I am not going to make excuses anymore. This guy reminds me of rookie cop at the firing range that shoots out the water cooler.

I hope he gets better but if he doesn't I still want to see Brian Brohm or draft a new QB.

You saw about 10 games..? Haven't they only played 9, or are you from the future.? Ok, So must be I just gave it away, if your from the future, and your watching Fitzpatrick there, then must be Fitzpatrick = Bills QB Of the future..!

Fitz is just a stop gap for the time being. I like him alot as our QB right now. This team has more holes than swiss cheese in it. In NO WAY has or will he ever be more than a back up QB option. The Bills need a franchise QB. Obviously not on our current roster. We have a long way to go to become a winning football team. One that can compete in the AFC East and the Playoffs. Fitz is a good stop gap while we get other positions in order. But in no way can you look down the road and say Fitz is gonna take you where we need to be.

You saw about 10 games..? Haven't they only played 9, or are you from the future.? Ok, So must be I just gave it away, if your from the future, and your watching Fitzpatrick there, then must be Fitzpatrick = Bills QB Of the future..!

Counting last year, Fitz has now played in 17 games for the Bills. He is certainly better than Trent Edwards, but I agree with the poster. He has a very hard time throwing the ball accurately. He has missed some very imnportant throws and thrown some bad INT's. That is why Cincinnati let him walk and that is why the Bills should do the same. I enjoy watching him because he is able to put some points up on occasion, but he is not the answer in the long term. He is definitely an improvement over the last two QB's, but he is just not going to lead the team to the playoffs. He has the heart, just not the physical skills to do it.

Edited by xsoldier54

Fitz is just a stop gap for the time being. I like him alot as our QB right now. This team has more holes than swiss cheese in it. In NO WAY has or will he ever be more than a back up QB option. The Bills need a franchise QB. Obviously not on our current roster. We have a long way to go to become a winning football team. One that can compete in the AFC East and the Playoffs. Fitz is a good stop gap while we get other positions in order. But in no way can you look down the road and say Fitz is gonna take you where we need to be.

Agree 100%...

And I think it should also be noted that Fitz should be just about a perfect back-up type for a young QB...He'll have a ton of experience, he's obviously smart enough and enough of a Team guy to really help a young Franchise guy... B-)

Let him walk? are you high? Yes- they will take a QB in the draft but they're not going to let Fitz walk. Have you heard Chan gush about how Fitz checked into the right play several times yesterday and this year? You can't just plop someone in that position with those kind of smarts and instincts. I'm happy the guy is our QB for now and hope they keep him for a long time...if nothing else to mentor the new QB someday.

I'm not a Fitz backer, but I'm also not sold on the potential QB's coming out this year. I like Luck and Mallett, but I'm not completely sold on either guy. Luck is a smart kid that disects the defense well and gets the ball out with good velocity, but I like Mallett's arm strength and overall potential. I'd take a chance on Locker, Foles, or Newton if it was 3rd round or later. My preference? Whichever one is the cast off from Philly. I'd rather have Vick, but I think it's more likely that Kolb will be the one traded or released. Hopefully he will be released because he's getting too much money to be a backup in Philly's eyes. If he was signed as a FA then we could use our picks elsewhere. A couple of impact defensive players.

Wang's relentless weekly Brohm crusade continues....

I just want to point something out here:

Last night I got into a QB discussion here about Sam Bradford, and how he is already a franchise-quality QB. Yet in almost every statistical category Fitz is outperforming him. So my contention is how we feel about a QB is directly related to how high he was drafted. If we drafted Andrew Luck and he was having an identical year to Fitzy we'd be deliriously happy. But since it's 7th round journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick with the same stats we can't wait to replace him. It's no different than buying an expensive bottle of wine. It has to be better than the cheap crap because it was expensive, even if it isn't.

PTR

Last night I got into a QB discussion here about Sam Bradford, and how he is already a franchise-quality QB. Yet in almost every statistical category Fitz is outperforming him. So my contention is how we feel about a QB is directly related to how high he was drafted. If we drafted Andrew Luck and he was having an identical year to Fitzy we'd be deliriously happy. But since it's 7th round journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick with the same stats we can't wait to replace him. It's no different than buying an expensive bottle of wine. It has to be better than the cheap crap because it was expensive, even if it isn't.

PTR

Shhhhhhhhh, this thread is about feelings, PTR. Take your facts and go home.

I'm a little surprised that the Fitz bandwagon was as big as it was. Fitz is a career backup - he'd probably be the first to admit that, too.

This is similar to the feeling that everyone's favorite player is the backup QB. Compared to what Trent Edwards was doing for this team, Ryan Fitzpatrick is looking like Joe Montana. Don't get me wrong, it's been fun watching Fitz play with guts & heart, but when you compare him to the scared, confidence-lacking Edwards, he does look Hall of Fame-like.

Fitz has been with several teams for a reason. He's not terribly accurate and his arm strength is ok (not good, just ok). He showed the same "flashes" when he backed up Marc Bulger in St. Louis - if we all remember, he came on like gangbusters, but faded once defenses got a book on him. We're seeing a similar trend now...once the opposition has film on him with this offense, they can adjust and play him accordingly. He just doesn't have the physical tools (size, arm strength, speed) that a "franchise" QB has. Combine all of those with Fitz's intelligence, heart, and a good OL and you have that franchise QB.

PTR

You can do whatever you want to do with stats. There isn't an NFL scout or staffer who isn't wearing a clown outfit who would have the audacity to claim that Fitz right now is a better qb than Bradford. I'm not claiming you are making that argument. Your observation that Sam Bradford is already a franchise caliber compared to Fitz's and his better stats underscores that awareness.

Fitz has been in the league (I think seven years) for an extended period of time. He is a good backup at best. He will periodically show some flashes but will always level off to his average talents.

Will Luck or any rookie hotshot qb have less impressive stats than the more veteran Fitz? Of course. There is a developmental process which takes time. The evaluations on Fitz have little to do at the low level where he was drafted. It has everything to do with his body of work over an extended period of time. He is a good backup. Nothing more.

If Fitz had the arm and accuracy of Bradford to go along with his intelligence Fitz would be an all-pro. That isn't reality.

Fitz is Fitz. Excellent leadership, not afraid to go for it, but inaccurate as a passer.

We will draft a QB in the first round. Fitz will mentor that QB. When that QB of the future can outplay Fitz then he will start.

Brohm is a backup and he will have to wait for his shot. This happens all the time. Brohm better be working hard becauase his shot can come at any time. If Fitz gets hurt or plays very poorly then Brohm gets in. Otherwise no. Brohm will at least get another look next year at camp.

Additionally, I think you might see a few appearances of Brohm in the last few weeks of the season mopping up a win or a loss.

Right now the team needs to improve and develop and build on successes. We do not need to play musical QBs so Fitz stays.

Fitz is a midrange starter; never going to be a top 10 guy, I think, and when everyone's healthy, he's probably going to be in the 15-20 range among league QBs. That's not terrible - those QBs regularly get to the playoffs, probably one or two most years. They rarely win the Super Bowl, and never do without incredible supporting casts.

I think Fitz gives us the luxury of at least calling our shot at QB - if we miss Luck, we don't have to invest a top-5 pick on a likely bust like Jake Locker. But I think we need to be on the lookout every year.

PTR

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you guys watch other teams, you will realize, for all of Fitzpatricks accuaracy problems (which seem to pop up 2 or 3 times every game) he is playing at an above average level for current NFL QB's. You don't just throw that away. Since Jim Kelly retired, 14 years ago, we have seen 2 decent years from Doug Flutie, one stellar year from Drew Bledsoe, and a whole bunch of mediocre to awful QB play, in Buffalo. As Promo points out, there is no guarantee that any QB picked in the top 5 (where the Bills are likely to draft) is going to be better than Fitzpatrick. I am not saying the Bills shouldn't necessarily draft a QB in 2011, but I don't think it is as high a priority as it seemed just 2 months ago. I would much rather spend that pick on a top tier pass rusher, assuming he exists. As of right now, there doesn't appear to be any QB with that "can't miss" aura about him.

As for Fitzpatricks accuaracy issue, John Lynch made an observation during yesterdays game, which I think is pretty telling, and something I had kind of felt. Lynch said "Fitzpatrick puts everything he has into every throw, like no other quarterback." To me, that means he may be just pressing a little too hard at times...and maybe he is throwing passes a little out of his comfort level. He is overcompensating at times. To me, this seems like something he can overcome. He as much field awareness as anyone we have had at QB, in Buffalo, in some time.

Completely ridiculous. No way does a guy make it to the NFL and have the success Fitz is having this year with the mentality that he's not good enough to be anything but a backup.

I understand the attitude a player needs, but considering that Fitz has been with 3 teams in 6 years, do you really think that he thinks he's more than a backup? He was signed last off-season to be just that and he came into 2010 as the backup to Trent.

My guess is that he *wants* to be a starter and feels that he *can* start, but knows there are more talented QBs in the league that have better skills than he does. If so, this clearly doesn't deter him from putting out 130% effort every week.

Fitz is a midrange starter; never going to be a top 10 guy, I think, and when everyone's healthy, he's probably going to be in the 15-20 range among league QBs. That's not terrible - those QBs regularly get to the playoffs, probably one or two most years. They rarely win the Super Bowl, and never do without incredible supporting casts.

I agree with the above. If Fitz was still a backup, he would probably be the best backup in the league. As a starter, I would place him somewhere around 20. For example, I am really not sure if Sanchez is better than Fitz.

He does deserve credit for putting up points with a lousy OL and virtually no defense. Starting Fitz in 2011 wouldn't be the end of the world I suppose, but I would mind seeing Ryan Mallett on the sidelines getting ready. :thumbsup:

I agree with the above. If Fitz was still a backup, he would probably be the best backup in the league. As a starter, I would place him somewhere around 20. For example, I am really not sure if Sanchez is better than Fitz.

He does deserve credit for putting up points with a lousy OL and virtually no defense. Starting Fitz in 2011 wouldn't be the end of the world I suppose, but I would mind seeing Ryan Mallett on the sidelines getting ready. :thumbsup:

This number 20 seems to be pretty arbitrary...exactly which 19 QB's would be doing better in the situation we have right now in Buffalo??

I assume you think we'd get Mallett in the 2nd? Which means the draft sequence would be CB/QB/OL/LB/OL. I would take Luck and go QB/CB/OL/LB/OL. Then again, Luck is from Stanford.......

If Steve Johnson catches that pass over the middle in the fourth quarter (it was a perfect throw and hit him in the hands), we're looking at a blowout.

Fitz is 29. Rather than trying to "divine" whether he is objectively a backup or a starter, or whether he is objectively accurate or inaccurate, consider that he may be IMPROVING under Gailey's tutelage. Would you rather have any of these guys over Fitz:

Chad Henne

"Dirty" Sanchez

Vince Young

Carson Palmer

Colt McCoy

Travaris Jackson

Alex/Troy Smith

Kyle Orton

Matt Cassel

Matt Hasselbeck

Derek Anderson

David Garrard

Jimmy Claussen

Donavan McNabb

Jason Campbell

Because that's what 15 other teams likely will be trotting out next year. Fitz is in the top half of the league right now, and again, I stress, he may be IMPROVING.

I understand the attitude a player needs, but considering that Fitz has been with 3 teams in 6 years, do you really think that he thinks he's more than a backup? He was signed last off-season to be just that and he came into 2010 as the backup to Trent.

My guess is that he *wants* to be a starter and feels that he *can* start, but knows there are more talented QBs in the league that have better skills than he does. If so, this clearly doesn't deter him from putting out 130% effort every week.

The past doesn't matter. Of course if you asked him "In your NFL career to date, have you been a starter or a backup more often?" the answer would be backup, as Fitz is not delusional and smart enough to do the simple math. But the bottom line is he's starting this year and playing well, and that wouldn't happen if he wasn't confident in his ability to be more than a backup. He might be aware that he's not the best QB in the league, but I doubt he sits at home and thinks about it. He's probably too busy trying to become the best QB in the league for that. JMO.

If Steve Johnson catches that pass over the middle in the fourth quarter (it was a perfect throw and hit him in the hands), we're looking at a blowout.

Fitz is 29. Rather than trying to "divine" whether he is objectively a backup or a starter, or whether he is objectively accurate or inaccurate, consider that he may be IMPROVING under Gailey's tutelage. Would you rather have any of these guys over Fitz:

Chad Henne

"Dirty" Sanchez

Vince Young

Carson Palmer

Colt McCoy

Travaris Jackson

Alex/Troy Smith

Kyle Orton

Matt Cassel

Matt Hasselbeck

Derek Anderson

David Garrard

Jimmy Claussen

Donavan McNabb

Jason Campbell

Because that's what 15 other teams likely will be trotting out next year. Fitz is in the top half of the league right now, and again, I stress, he may be IMPROVING.

He's 27, will be 28 at the end of the month.

The team is 1-8, and someone is off the Fitzpatrick bandwagon? Man, that's rich. :lol: :lol:

To me, that means he may be just pressing a little too hard at times...and maybe he is throwing passes a little out of his comfort level. He is overcompensating at times.

Like a little swing pass. I can't keep track of how many times he throws that pass hard at the receivers' feet.

And for what it's worth, if you're like me, you can tolerate losing as long as you see people being competitive. He may be inaccurate, and he may throw some clunkers, but if you remove Fitzpatrick from this year's team, they would be completely unwatchable, and I've watched some pretty unwatchable Bills footabll. Whether he's trying to thread the needle or he's laying out blocks because Spiller had a change of direction, the dude at least SHOWS that he's trying to win. I would also add that this thread would not even exist if Stevie Johnson didn't drop that pass while running down the seam.

Off the Fitzpatrick bandwagon. Jesus.

The team is 1-8, and someone is off the Fitzpatrick bandwagon? Man, that's rich. :lol: :lol:

Like a little swing pass. I can't keep track of how many times he throws that pass hard at the receivers' feet.

And for what it's worth, if you're like me, you can tolerate losing as long as you see people being competitive. He may be inaccurate, and he may throw some clunkers, but if you remove Fitzpatrick from this year's team, they would be completely unwatchable, and I've watched some pretty unwatchable Bills footabll. Whether he's trying to thread the needle or he's laying out blocks because Spiller had a change of direction, the dude at least SHOWS that he's trying to win. I would also add that this thread would not even exist if Stevie Johnson didn't drop that pass while running down the seam.

Hey! Good to see we agree on something, friend! :beer:

PTR

I could care less where Fitzpatrick was drafted. My opinion of him is based solely on what I have seen him do in games. I think that he is very gritty and full of heart. Statistics don't mean squat to me. It is obvious that he cannot consistently throw the ball accurately and he tends to make bad mistakes at critical times. That is what I am looking at. I like him as a leader of men, I just don't think he has the physical skills to execute what he wants to do. That, in the end, is what is his undoing. He will never be good enough to lead a team to the playoffs, which is what I am looking for.

I'm getting to the point where the term "franchise QB" triggers my gag reflex.

I'm not big on labeling a guy or trying to find a box to put him in. I don't know if Fitz is a "franchise QB" b/c I don't really even know what that means. Whether or not Fitz is the future, I can't say at this point, but what I do know is Fitz has been playing well as a starter in the NFL playing top competition with a mediocre offense around him.

I don't know if that makes him a "franchise QB" or a "starter" or a "back-up" according to the arbiters of these labels, but I'm ok with him.

And I'll drink to your post Coach Tuesday. :beer:

Edited by Rob's House

:thumbsup:

I could care less where Fitzpatrick was drafted. My opinion of him is based solely on what I have seen him do in games. I think that he is very gritty and full of heart. Statistics don't mean squat to me. It is obvious that he cannot consistently throw the ball accurately and he tends to make bad mistakes at critical times. That is what I am looking at. I like him as a leader of men, I just don't think he has the physical skills to execute what he wants to do. That, in the end, is what is his undoing. He will never be good enough to lead a team to the playoffs, which is what I am looking for.

So how do you measure the "critical" nature of all the 3rd and longs he's converted on, when accuracy wasn't an issue?

How do you measure the upending block he threw for Spiller yesterday 7 yards down field that sprung CJ for an extra 10?

I'd have to answer yes to about half the guys on your list. I like Fitz and he has made this team competitive. I just don't believe he has the physicl tools to ever be a playoff calibre quarterback. Hats off to him for playing his heart out, but once again yesterday, he made some really bad throws, just as he has done the past 6 weeks and just as he will continue to do. Nothing personal against him, I think he really gives it everything he's got. I just don't think he will ever have the physical skills needed to consistently win in the NFL.

Yes, I think he is only a year older than Trent Edwards, and a year younger than Losman...his game, under the right coach (Chan Gailey, perhaps?) can still improve. If he was playing like he did last year (kind of like a Kelly Holcomb part 2), I wouldn't think twice about drafting another QB...but he appears to be in an offense he feels comfortable in, with a coach that seems to understand how to get more out of his offensive talent than the previous administration.

What we seem to want is a robot QB that throws perfectly every time. I've only seen Tom Brady do that last night. Meanwhile "franchise" Ben Rothlesburger looked pretty bad. I think our expectations of what a good QB should be able to do are fairly unrealistic. Good QB's have bad games. They sometimes make bad throws. You have to look at the full body of work, not just the W-L record.

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a QB like Luck. What I'm saying is 1) don't expect Luck pan out just because we picked him #1, and 2) How good will any QB be unless we fix the rest of the holes on this team?

PTR

So how do you measure the "critical" nature of all the 3rd and longs he's converted on, when accuracy wasn't an issue?

How do you measure the upending block he threw for Spiller yesterday 7 yards down field that sprung CJ for an extra 10?

It's pointless to argue with these numbnuts. They don't even know what a good QB is supposed to look like. All they know is what ESPN and NFLN tell them. If they aren't slobbering over a player, they can't be any good.

PTR

Jake Delhomme (when Carolina was competitive) - Offensive Line - Pass Rush - Running Game - Steve Smith = Ryan Fitzpatrick

Carolina had premier personnel on both lines...always had at least one premier running back (now they have two with no line...how are they doing? <sarcasm>), although anyone could run behind that O-Line at the time...Steve Smith's athleticism made a lot of near lateral swing passes 50+ yard touchdowns and covered up a lot of bad throws. Note that when Steve Smith was suspended or injured how poorly Delhomme played.

Jake Delhomme was viewed as a smart, "solid backup" prior to becoming the starter and benefited from the pieces around him. They built the supporting cast, plugged the quarterback in later, and almost won a Super Bowl. The problem was they hung on to Delhomme a little too long and as both lines aged (right along with Delhomme) or got rich through free agency, Delhomme was exposed for what he is/was - a backup. Carolina's current running backs, Williams and Stewart, once the envy of the league cannot even get 100 yards rushing behind that line when , in the past, they were both getting 100 yards/game each. There are a million examples just like this...Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Tom Brady (first Super Bowl), Bob Griese (HOF, really?), Eli Manning (borderline...pretend his last name is Jones)...where quaterback was just another position on a Super Bowl winning TEAM. Based on the Cowboys' game yesterday I would say Tony Romo is in the same mold...Jon Kitna came in and outplayed Romo with largely the same cast.

My point? Even if the Bills had all the same pieces in place when Fitzapatrick took over...studs on both lines, premier skill players...I would say he will be fine (and even encourage him starting over a rookie stud at QB) for the next 2 years BUT you still have to draft the QUARTERBACK if he is available. He does not have to be the #1 overall pick but that position needs to be a priority for this team early in the draft. Who knows, Ryan Mallett could be the next Dan Marino. Someone like Stephen Garcia taken later in the draft (if he comes out) is worth a look...(brothers played at Harvard for you "Fitzy" fans).

Look what Peyton Manning keeps doing as the Colts literally erode around him. He is literally forcing guys to win...they KNOW losing is not an option. Sam Bradford may not be racking up the stats but there is NO DOUBT who the leader on the field of that team will be for the next decade at least (may be optimistic about his durability). Heck, look what Mark Sanchez, Colt McCoy, and Troy Smith (tear in my eye) are doing. These guys are true leaders and the rest of the players believe. Coaches can do alot and great coaches can do even more but it's still the players who have to execute. Do you think Ray Lewis would accept a play call from Edwards (Bills DC) if he knew it was not going to work at a critical point in the game? Who calls the Colts offensive plays (rhetorical for dramatic purposes...we all know it's Frank Reich :-))

Bottom line...You NEVER pass on the franchise, can't miss quarterback for so many reasons both football and non-football related...marketing, identity, attracting free agents. I don't care if you are currently an established, mature team in all other aspects of the game. In today's NFL that only lasts 2-3 years at most. The quarterback is the most valuable asset in the team's portfolio and having the right one (whether by design or luck) makes GM's and coaches geniuses (Polian, Levy, Belichick, etc.), supporting players Hall of Famers (you think Jerry Rice is JERRY RICE without Montana and Young and the NEW West Coast Offense?), and fans ecstatic (although sometimes I wonder on this board).

Bottom line...You NEVER pass on the franchise, can't miss quarterback....

I agree. You'd have to be an idiot not to draft a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning when you have the chance. Now tell me how you know which QB's will be that great? Because Kiper and McShay say so? :lol:

PTR