Perry Fewell

Bob in STL

Right now Perry Fewell is a hot commodity in the NFL. He is the rising star young coordinator.

Perry Fewell did an excellent job last year as interim head coach. He gave the ball to Fitz. They won a few games. The defense was opportunistic. They played hard for him right to the end.

When the season ended Fewell he was given the obligatory look as HC and then the Bills moved on.

Who would have been happy if the Bills named him as HC? Be honest. I know I was looking for the big name (for me it was Cowher or Gruden or Marty S).

Right now Perry Fewell is a hot commodity in the NFL. He is the rising star young coordinator.

Perry Fewell did an excellent job last year as interim head coach. He gave the ball to Fitz. They won a few games. The defense was opportunistic. They played hard for him right to the end.

When the season ended Fewell he was given the obligatory look as HC and then the Bills moved on.

Who would have been happy if the Bills named him as HC? Be honest. I know I was looking for the big name (for me it was Cowher or Gruden or Marty S).

With hindsight I think I'd be happy with Fewell as the HC, if they brought in a good offensive coordinator (like Gailey). That being said I was like you and wanted the big name coach, so i would have been disappointed that they stuck with Fewell.

Contrary to what anyone will post, the city would have burnt the Ralph down had they just hired from within.

Furthermore, for 4 years, we all sat here and watched people B word about our soft defense, and what a horrible scheme it was.

Every career in the NFL is situational. Just because Fewell is having success in NY (with a TON more talent) doesnt necessarily mean that he would have been successful anywhere else this year.

Edited by DrDankenstein

I wanted Cowher. I also liked Martyball. I felt if we were going to go the co-ordinator route, it would be Frazier.

While Fewell was good and is having a great year, if we had promoted him, everyone would've been upset. We all wanted to bring someone in from the outside, move away from the Jauron-era. Fewell was part of that era. I liked him and his defense (I'm a fan of the Cover2), but we needed a change, not another promotion from within.

Anybody who says we should've kept Fewell and that they wanted him as HC is lying.

We can be happy for him and wish him well, but let's not kid ourselves, we all wanted to move as far away from the Jauron stench as possible.

I wanted Cowher or Shanny and I wanted nothing to do with Fewell...I still feel the same way...He's a decent DC...Even better with good talent...I just don't think he's HC material yet...I will admit though that, at least right now, I'm not sure he would have been a worse choice than Gailey...We'll see how that whole thing plays out... B-)

Not ONE person on this board would have been happy if they hired Fewell as HC. In hindsight he looks good b/c the Giants have a very good D-line and talent on D. We all knew we needed an offensive coach and Gailey has gotten the O to look good at times. That being said, the team needs to move on from Edwards at the end of the season. NObody else in the NFL would have hired that guy as D-coordinator.

The way the team played under Fewell I thought there was a possibility that he would end up being the HC.

Honestly I started rationalizing Fewell as the HC and thought, could be worse.

I wasn't going to burn OBD down, but was hoping they could could get a nice OC.

Well that ship has sailed.

If the Bills have proven anything the last ten years, they have proven that former Buffalo Bill HCs make outstanding Coordinators.

I remember posting that I would be ok with Perry Fewell as HC, provided the front office was cleaned out and we got a new name GM, who would then hire a whole new scouting department. CG is our 4th head coach with a losing record, and management and scouting doesn't change. What does that tell you about where the problems lie?

Either way it doesn't change the talent on the field. I did like Fewell. I liked his energy and I like the way the guys played for him. But they are playing very hard for Chan, there is just not enough talent.

Edited by ricojes

I said it before, Perry wasnt Hired,becuase he was Black. We all know this is True. Its not Like Gailey Was a Hot Coach.Same Old Bills, Close,Good Try...OT..They Came Close. You are What Record is 0-8.

Did you forget, or are you ignoring the fact that nobody...N-O-B-O-D-Y...wanted to consider Fewell because he had the stink of Dick(less) Jauron on him. No one cared that the Bills played better under him. I clearly recall the complaints: can't game plan...can't manage the clock...gotta clean house...yada yada yada! I personally took plenty of grief for having the gall to suggest Fewell might be worth keeping. The all-knowing Stadium Wall spoke and they declared Perry Fewell a failure. Case closed.

PTR

I remember posting that I would be ok with Perry Fewell as HC, provided the front office was cleaned out and we got a new name GM, who would then hire a whole new scouting department. CG is our 4th head coach with a losing record, and management and scouting doesn't change. What does that tell you about where the problems lie?

Chan has a winning record as a head coach in the NFL, but why quibble?

PTR

Contrary to what anyone will post, the city would have burnt the Ralph down had they just hired from within.

Furthermore, for 4 years, we all sat here and watched people B word about our soft defense, and what a horrible scheme it was.

Every career in the NFL is situational. Just because Fewell is having success in NY (with a TON more talent) doesnt necessarily mean that he would have been successful anywhere else this year.

I agree. It sure does look like he has a way of motivating players though.

I agree. It sure does look like he has a way of motivating players though.

Sure, players play hard for him. Just like they did for Dick, and just like they do for Chan.

But we needed someone who has been a HC before and is familiar with HC stuff like game planning, adjusting at half, clock management, etc.

Did you forget, or are you ignoring the fact that nobody...N-O-B-O-D-Y...wanted to consider Fewell because he had the stink of Dick(less) Jauron on him. No one cared that the Bills played better under him. I clearly recall the complaints: can't game plan...can't manage the clock...gotta clean house...yada yada yada! I personally took plenty of grief for having the gall to suggest Fewell might be worth keeping. The all-knowing Stadium Wall spoke and they declared Perry Fewell a failure. Case closed.

PTR

Promo,

I did not forget or ignore anything. Just asking the question.

I can tell you this, the media would have blasted buffalo if they kept Fewell but now, as a NY Giant coordinator, he is the next rising star.

I wanted Bruce coslet or Wayne fontes.Matt millen,Tom flories.Barry switzer,herm Edwards.

What about Richie Kotite?

I was completely immune to the "big name" lust (I still am). I thought hiring Fewell would have been okay, though I am no expert on such things.

Not ONE person on this board would have been happy if they hired Fewell as HC. In hindsight he looks good b/c the Giants have a very good D-line and talent on D. We all knew we needed an offensive coach and Gailey has gotten the O to look good at times. That being said, the team needs to move on from Edwards at the end of the season. NObody else in the NFL would have hired that guy as D-coordinator.

Not true. I would have considered it a reasonable choice, though the board would have been inundated by screaming fanatics. But when in the last five years has it not been inundated by screaming fanatics?

To be honest, I am not unhappy with Chan. He may not have been a "sexy pick", but fit the criteria for what we needed: NFL head coaching experience (with at least some degree of success), offensive-minded coach and someone who could work well with Nix. He has, of course, made some key errors:

1. Believing his own press clippings about being able to make something of less than stellar QBs. He actually believed that he could "fix" Trent.

2. Not going after a proven DC. If you recall, at his introductory press conference, Gailey said he was not going to be hiring a "household name" for his DC. In a way, that was the inverse of the same mistake that Jauron made. Namely, Jauron the "defensive guru" never saw fit to hire a proven commodity at OC. My guess is that barring some miracle turnaround on defense, someone (Ralph) will force Chan to hire a new DC.

I agreed last year that P Fewell would have been a very good HC for the team but I know I was definitely in the minority. But it is true the fan base would have revolted originally if Fewell was named the HC as they were awaiting a Gruden or Cowher to be named.

It's old news now but the guy can coach and players responded to him. He knew what it took Nix/Gailey 8 months to figure out. Fitz was way better than Edwards and you could do fine with FJ as a RB.

I hope he goes on and becomes a HC as he is a great guy, great energy and very likeable.

But right now the Bills may have been 3-5 and everybody would be calling for his head.....this situation is a lot better for him with the Giants as HC candidates rise and fall quickly.

To be honest, I am not unhappy with Chan. He may not have been a "sexy pick", but fit the criteria for what we needed: NFL head coaching experience (with at least some degree of success), offensive-minded coach and someone who could work well with Nix. He has, of course, made some key errors:

1. Believing his own press clippings about being able to make something of less than stellar QBs. He actually believed that he could "fix" Trent.

2. Not going after a proven DC. If you recall, at his introductory press conference, Gailey said he was not going to be hiring a "household name" for his DC. In a way, that was the inverse of the same mistake that Jauron made. Namely, Jauron the "defensive guru" never saw fit to hire a proven commodity at OC. My guess is that barring some miracle turnaround on defense, someone (Ralph) will force Chan to hire a new DC.

Totally agree on your comment about Edwards fate. If the new operators can only manage 2 wins or less, Wilson is going to demand changes on the coaching staff. He's shown over 50 years that is how he operates. So, barred a miracle, George Edwards is almost certainly a dead man walking. It wouldn't surprise if Smithers has already started typing up the sacrifice list as part of the next marketing campaign.

Very good point, and it's my only gripe about what Gailey has done so far as well.

We need an ex-HC turned Coordinator to coach our D. Given the status of the franchise being in the rebuilding process, and the talent (or lack thereof) we put on the field, we really need a defensive "guru". Not some new guy we're hoping learns the job quickly.

I dont want to hate on Edwards since he has very little to work with in a year where they are changing schemes, but it reminds me of the Van Pelt situation all over again.

I'm not sure what all the hype is about. He is doing a good job as a coordinator just as he did in Buffalo. We have seen far to often though that just because you are a good coordinator that doesn't make you a good head coach. We do remember Greg Williams amongst others. If he is lucky enough to get a head job as he does well then I could see why some Buffalo fans might scratch their heads and say, "what if?" I'm happy with Gailey because I don't think our record shows the progress we are making as a team. We have done a lot of house cleaning and it's going to continue. I believe better days are ahead.

I would have been happy then. I always felt the defense was playing with the cards stcked against it because the offense SUCKED SO BAD.

I'm happy with Chan Gailey though.

You covered the point I was going to make. I always knew that Fewell was a solid defensive coordinator. I never thought he was AMAZING but he did a good job with what he had and guys will play for him because he has some fire. With that said, I am not surprised that the Giants defense is doing great things. There was already some talent on that Giants defense it was just that their secondary was aging and it was exposed. Also take note that the Giants get amazing performance out of their front and get pressure on the QB. A secondary can only hold up so long in coverage before an opening is found. Look at the Cinci-Pitt game the other night. Even when the Bengals defense managed to keep the receivers in check through their routes, Rothlisberger was able to keep the play alive long enough for some ad lib to occur and the next thing you know somebody has found a little soft bubble in the defense.

I was happy when DJ was fired and I though that Fewell deserved a fair shake at the job which we know he didn't really get but I am willing to be honest. I would have flipped OUT if he was given the job. I think it is still too early to tell if Fewell's new found success is the result of better talent or not.

You have it right. They had to make break from the previous staff. Also, there have been many excellent co-ordinators that didn't do well as the HC.

It's in the past....

Interesting comments.

I have to say I would not have been happy keeping Fewell as HC because I wanted to see Cowher (pipe dream), Gruden (pipe dream 2), or Marty S (could have happened).

I am happy with Chan on the offensive side of the ball. I hated the decision to go 3-4. I think you need to have some of the pieces in place BEFORE you make a change. We had no 3-4 players of any consequence and we still do not. I think the jury is still out on Edwards as a DC, he has very little to work with.

Fewell was growing on me and typically these younger, coaches hungry to prove themselves end up making something happen. Since a new GM hire was certain, retaining him was pointless as the new GM, unless already connected somehow with Fewell, was going to want to hand pick his own head coach from a his own rolodex.

Although my counter to folks saying the Fan base would have rejected an internal hire, they were not thrilled with Chan either. The outsider everyone wanted had a name like Shanny, Marty, Cowher, Dungy, etc…

Perry never would have had a chance in Buffalo. I think he knew this along with the front office. I had said that he was the reason the Bills stayed in games for the last couple years. If he would have stayed, there is no way in hell a person who is even close to Buffalo would give him the time of day. In one thread I even asked what if we had Perry still as our Defensive coordinator? How many games would we have won? He took nothing and made them competitive. Just like Chan is doing now. He is taking no talent and making them competitive. I say nothing and no talent loosely because we do have players, just not like most teams, or the depth. It will take time, and we might not even have the right coaches in place for Chan yet. But I do BILLieve they are way up as getting better. Perry will become a legend in NY as a great master mind because he took a group of great talent and brought them back into a contender. I give Perry a few years as a Giant, then he will get a shot as a coach. It will take time and he must continue to have a great defense every year. Even after the Giants win the superbowl this year.

Yes I say the Giants win it this year only because of the city the bowl will be played this year. I like Dallas as much as the rest of our division.