Perry Fewell

Bob in STL

To be honest I would not have been happy. The thought had little to do with Fewell as much as it did with the scheme. I hated the Tampa 2. In retrospect if he had remained head coach and Gailey was bbrought in as OC we would be much further ahead right now. Water under the bridge.

There's absolutely no way fans would have accepted Fewell as HC--- no matter how good of a job he did as the interim HC in 2009, or as a DC. Plus, he was obviously not going to be brought back as strictly a DC, as much as we may have accepted that.

But one fact remains: he has superior talent with the NY Giants' front 7. He may be a terrific DC, but the personnel he has operating for him is NFL elite--- he would not have that type of success here in Buffalo until the defensive roster is seriously upgraded.

For the record, I am so far pleasantly surprised with Gailey as a HC and OC--- and to say I was less than enthused upon his initial hire is an understatement to say the least. If the defense continues to underperform after upgrades are made (assuming they're made) then a new DC is absolutely necessary. In fact, I'd welcome a new DC regardless for 2011.

There's absolutely no way fans would have accepted Fewell as HC--- no matter how good of a job he did as the interim HC in 2009, or as a DC. Plus, he was obviously not going to be brought back as strictly a DC, as much as we may have accepted that.

But one fact remains: he has superior talent with the NY Giants' front 7. He may be a terrific DC, but the personnel he has operating for him is NFL elite--- he would not have that type of success here in Buffalo until the defensive roster is seriously upgraded.

For the record, I am so far pleasantly surprised with Gailey as a HC and OC--- and to say I was less than enthused upon his initial hire is an understatement to say the least. If the defense continues to underperform after upgrades are made (assuming they're made) then a new DC is absolutely necessary. In fact, I'd welcome a new DC regardless for 2011.

wade philips!!! :thumbsup:

wade philips!!! :thumbsup:

I'd love Wade... only as a DC. Unfortunately, there's probably a greater likelihood that Bill Polian would return to the front office than Wade returning in any capacity.

Then again, stranger things have happened. After the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs Mike Grier told the media he didn't trust the direction of the Sabres organization to return, despite a suitable contract offer... then suddenly, 3 years later, he decides that he loves the organization's direction. I think the desperation of being a 35 year old out of work 3rd line grinder had something to do with his change of heart.

If only it were that easy! I say Ralph allows Wade back as soon as he puts Lou Saban's name on the Wall of Fame.

I'd love Wade... only as a DC. Unfortunately, there's probably a greater likelihood that Bill Polian would return to the front office than Wade returning in any capacity.

Then again, stranger things have happened. After the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs Mike Grier told the media he didn't trust the direction of the Sabres organization to return, despite a suitable contract offer... then suddenly, 3 years later, he decides that he loves the organization's direction. I think the desperation of being a 35 year old out of work 3rd line grinder had something to do with his change of heart.

If only it were that easy! I say Ralph allows Wade back as soon as he puts Lou Saban's name on the Wall of Fame.

Ya I'd love wade back leading our D, but there's no chance that happens. It's hard to see what we have in Edwards with this lack of talent...

Contrary to what anyone will post, the city would have burnt the Ralph down had they just hired from within.

Furthermore, for 4 years, we all sat here and watched people B word about our soft defense, and what a horrible scheme it was.

Every career in the NFL is situational. Just because Fewell is having success in NY (with a TON more talent) doesnt necessarily mean that he would have been successful anywhere else this year.

+1. If Fewell was the coach, we'd be at least 1-7 and this board would be flaming Ralph for hiring off the Jauron tree. Fewell is along for the ride in N Y with good talent.

I said it before, Perry wasnt Hired,becuase he was Black. We all know this is True. Its not Like Gailey Was a Hot Coach.Same Old Bills, Close,Good Try...OT..They Came Close. You are What Record is 0-8.

somebody had to say it..can't prove it but it was likely a factor. the minority coaching rules were implemented with owners like wilson in mind. he has never had, nor ever will have a longstanding black head coach. leslie frazier apparently wasn't seriously considered either.

I said it before, Perry wasnt Hired,becuase he was Black. We all know this is True. Its not Like Gailey Was a Hot Coach.Same Old Bills, Close,Good Try...OT..They Came Close. You are What Record is 0-8.

somebody had to say it..can't prove it but it was likely a factor. the minority coaching rules were implemented with owners like wilson in mind. he has never had, nor ever will have a longstanding black head coach. leslie frazier apparently wasn't seriously considered either.

It's funny... coldstorage5 capitalizes nearly every word in his post, then birdog1960 doesn't capitalize a single word/name/place in his response. There's an odd sort of symmetry to this, but the utter lack of a cogent point still bypasses any amusement otherwise produced.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I think it's relatively safe to say the supposed point of these posts is absolutely ridiculous on it's face. We should probably leave it at that.

It's funny... coldstorage5 capitalizes nearly every word in his post, then birdog1960 doesn't capitalize a single word/name/place in his response. There's an odd sort of symmetry to this, but the utter lack of a cogent point still bypasses any amusement otherwise produced.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I think it's relatively safe to say the supposed point of these posts is absolutely ridiculous on it's face. We should probably leave it at that.

argue with the point not the punctuation...the appearance should not matter, only the substance. odd sort of symmetry to that.

Edited by birdog1960

argue with the point not the punctuation...the appearance should not matter, only the substance. odd sort of symmetry to that.

My point: there was no substance to your post, so the appearance stood out, somewhat--- but not enough to hide the fact that you're a moron.

Do you understand symmetry? Your "internet-tough-guy-pat-yourself-on-the-back-witticism" in response to the symmetry comment makes as much sense as your unsubtle accusation that Ralph Wilson is a racist.

Internet grammar and punctuation doesn't bother me all that much, but if you want other posters to care enough to read your posts and take you seriously you should make the absolutely minimal effort it would take to at least resemble common english.

My point: there was no substance to your post, so the appearance stood out, somewhat--- but not enough to hide the fact that you're a moron.

Do you understand symmetry? Your "internet-tough-guy-pat-yourself-on-the-back-witticism" in response to the symmetry comment makes as much sense as your unsubtle accusation that Ralph Wilson is a racist.

Internet grammar and punctuation doesn't bother me all that much, but if you want other posters to care enough to read your posts and take you seriously you should make the absolutely minimal effort it would take to at least resemble common english.

i fully understand the concept of symmetry and contend that your appreciation of it in the example caps versus noncaps is no more keen than mine between appearance, race and punctuation. thoughtful minds might disagree. so what?

but back to substance. how many black qb's have the bills had in 50 years? i recall 1 : james harris with marlon briscoe throwing a pass here and there but not on the roster at that position. how does that compare to the rest of the league on an average, yearly basis? in a year with no highly regarded qb's on the roster, it appears mcnabb was offered a noncompetitive offer (much like the rumored big name coaches that were supposedly wooed) and that vick and campbell were never considered. fewell was the only black head coach in 50 years and only served as a fill in for a few games. he was apparently never seriously considered for a permanent position. frazier was/is widely considered a top candidate but was never interviewed. in the early years, there are multiple wilson quotes about black players that would be considered patronizing by many, even at the time. so there's some of the basis for my contention. what is yours for rejecting it on its face?

Edited by birdog1960

Right now Perry Fewell is a hot commodity in the NFL. He is the rising star young coordinator.

Perry Fewell did an excellent job last year as interim head coach. He gave the ball to Fitz. They won a few games. The defense was opportunistic. They played hard for him right to the end.

When the season ended Fewell he was given the obligatory look as HC and then the Bills moved on.

Who would have been happy if the Bills named him as HC? Be honest. I know I was looking for the big name (for me it was Cowher or Gruden or Marty S).

Is Cowher still available?? :rolleyes:

i fully understand the concept of symmetry and contend that your appreciation of it in the example caps versus noncaps is no more keen than mine between appearance, race and punctuation. thoughtful minds might disagree. so what?

but back to substance. how many black qb's have the bills had in 50 years? i recall 1 : james harris with marlon briscoe throwing a pass here and there but not on the roster at that position. how does that compare to the rest of the league on an average, yearly basis? in a year with no highly regarded qb's on the roster, it appears mcnabb was offered a noncompetitive offer (much like the rumored big name coaches that were supposedly wooed) and that vick and campbell were never considered. fewell was the only black head coach in 50 years and only served as a fill in for a few games. he was apparently never seriously considered for a permanent position. frazier was/is widely considered a top candidate but was never interviewed. in the early years, there are multiple wilson quotes about black players that would be considered patronizing by many, even at the time. so there's some of the basis for my contention. what is yours for rejecting it on its face?

Alright--- I apologize for any hubbub. I can certainly understand that if Wilson made racially condescending comments even during the early 1960s it could lead to this thought process. I plead ignorance to any specific comments but I'll take you at your word until proven otherwise.

In 1969, James Harris was the first African American opening day starting QB in American pro football history, which he accomplished as a Buffalo Bill, of course. The 1st to start a game at QB, period, was Marlin Briscoe, who shortly thereafter became a Bill. To mention these two players it's fair to point out these facts.

I'd also argue that the Buffalo Bills of the '60s were at the forefront of racial integration issues in pro football, on the merits of Cookie Gilchrist, Ernie Warlick, and Jack Kemp leading the discussion on the matter and protesting the many disadvantages that black players faced. It's not to Ralph Wilson's credit necessarily that his players took on these socially relevant responsibilities, but it's fair to mention.

Gilchrist notwithstanding (I believe he had issues with both Saban and Wilson, but as a rather contentious figure during his playing days, he also had issues with the ownership and coaching staffs of every team for which he played), most African American players and coaches employed by the Buffalo Bills have had near universal praise for Wilson. Thurman Thomas, Darryl Talley, & Bruce Smith were players that discussed race openly during their playing days, but I've never heard a disparaging word about Ralph from any of them--- in fact, by all accounts, they love the man. The so called "Bickering Bills" of 1989 is the only instance where I recall a racially charged atmosphere at OBD---- and all parties have stated that the whole matter was blown way out of proportion by the media--- and none of it was linked to Ralph Wilson, anyhow.

I think the fact Fewell was named the HC even on an interim basis kind of makes the point moot, no? I can't see an owner of a pro sports team having an aversion toward hiring black coaches and then signing off on one even for that brief of a period of time. Leslie Frazier isn't really well thought of at the moment, as his defense is crumbling (not his fault, really, but nonetheless), Vick was untouched by every single team but the Eagles, and McNabb is not a good fit for a young rebuilding team.

If Andrew Luck were African American, declared for the draft, and the Bills held the #1 pick, Ralph himself would sprint to the podium to call his name, IMHO.

Edited by Punch

Alright--- I apologize for any hubbub. I can certainly understand that if Wilson made racially condescending comments even during the early 1960s it could lead to this thought process. I plead ignorance to any specific comments but I'll take you at your word until proven otherwise.

Gilchrist notwithstanding (I believe he had issues with both Saban and Wilson, but as a rather contentious figure during his playing days, he also had issues with the ownership and coaching staffs of every team for which he played)

"he had only a high school education, but he could be very entertaining. he was smart but he was hard to control"-ralph wilson on gilchrist. i think most would call that patronizing. racially condescending is your term but is certainly debatable in this qoute. i do appreciate your thoughtful response however and the relevant counterpoints made.

"he had only a high school education, but he could be very entertaining. he was smart but he was hard to control"-ralph wilson on gilchrist. i think most would call that patronizing. racially condescending is your term but is certainly debatable in this qoute. i do appreciate your thoughtful response however and the relevant counterpoints made.

"Racially condescending" was what I thought you were implying... BUT, I don't know that I think that particular quote is terribly patronizing. If the reference to Cookie "only having a high school education" was not a contextually appropriate response... in other words, if Ralph threw that in to the conversation as a means of slighting Gilchrist, only... then, yes, I think it's patronizing. Since he also referred to him as being smart, I doubt that is the case, though.

Otherwise, the comment sounds very much like what many of Cookie's teammates, friends (including Larry Felser, for whom Gilchrist still cares deeply), and other AFL contemporaries have said about the man. I'll do some googling to see if I can find references of a similar, but perhaps more damning, nature.