OK....its obvious to me where we go with that first pick

Offensive Line and linebacker

- Fitz was NOT the problem today......he converts 3rd downs and makes this offense actually look NFL caliber. While he throws a bad ball her and there we also have WR's who DROP balls that hit them in the hands still. Also....he was under duress all game.

- I support D. Bell.....but he got his @ss handed to him today....he really did.

If we have the #1 overall, we're going QB. Just like we should have never drafted Donte so early (even though he has played well lately), you dont reach for a need so early.

We got BPA with round 1, and then address the line and D after. Keep in mind that even if we have the 3rd pick, that means our second round is #35. Basically 2 first round picks. No need to reach early.

- Fitz was NOT the problem today......he converts 3rd downs and makes this offense actually look NFL caliber. While he throws a bad ball her and there we also have WR's who DROP balls that hit them in the hands still. Also....he was under duress all game.

- I support D. Bell.....but he got his @ss handed to him today....he really did.

I'm with you, although I don't care if it's a LB or a Dlineman, I just want a DOMINANT player for the front 7.

But I would be fine with keeping Fitz, he just needs to find a way to fix these late game mistakes.

If we have the #1 overall, we're going QB. Just like we should have never drafted Donte so early (even though he has played well lately), you dont reach for a need so early.

We got BPA with round 1, and then address the line and D after. Keep in mind that even if we have the 3rd pick, that means our second round is #35. Basically 2 first round picks. No need to reach early.

Im not talking about reaching...I am talking about trading down.

Unfortunately John there is no OT or LB worth a top 5 pick my man. Franchise QB is the way to go, grab one while you can. I like Fitz, but the beauty of grabbing a franchise QB is we will not have to throw him to the wolves with Fitz around. Fitz can be the new age Frank Reich. :thumbsup:

While yes LB and OL suck, Fitz has absolutely been a problem. Bad bad bad INTs in the last three loses. Thats three close games in which he has failed. He throws a lot of errant passes too. He is a big upgrade but he is also a major reason as to why we lost the last three weeks.

While yes LB and OL suck, Fitz has absolutely been a problem. Bad bad bad INTs in the last three loses. Thats three close games in which he has failed. He throws a lot of errant passes too. He is a big upgrade but he is also a major reason as to why we lost the last three weeks.

He is also the reason we have any offense. Brohm, Trent, LEvi are not even close to this guy. We would not have been in the last three games if it was not for him. I know he makes horrible Ints late in the game, but actually like watching bills games again.

The mantra of Bills fans: "trade down! trade down! trade down!"

Yet, everyone seems to forget that it takes two to make a trade.

Exactly– especially when it comes to the first pick in the draft. The only way someone would trade up to get it is if there were a definitive sure-thing sitting at #1– in which case the Bills should draft him. The money being shelled out for top-5 draft picks is so ridiculous now that teams consider it somewhat of a curse. There was a whole article about it in Sports Illustrated a few weeks ago.

I disagree. this is a QB driven league and the best teams have elite QB's.

If you have the #1 overall pick you have a chance at selecting a special talent that will become a pro-bowler and solidfy your franchise for the next decade.

If you want to address LB or OT with the 1st pick in the second round or heck, spend the rest of our picks on the line thats fine with me.

Is fitz a serviceable QB? sure. Will he win you games? maybe. Fitz is a feel good story but he isn't the long term answer. Sure he is making this season exciting at least for the offense. But having that #1 pick is a rare opportunity to secure a rare commodity in this league.

I want the next Peyton Manning / Drew Brees / Tom Brady / Aaron Rodgers. And if any QB in college right now has a chance to be a player on that level we better not miss with the #1 overall pick.

If bills are smart we should draft Tyron Jackson cornerback out of s. Miss division2. Now I know what you thinking no way, but read on. That gun charge should be dropped.also I know he needs knee surgery so he will be out for 2011. This kid can play.

RW will order Nix to take a QB plain and simple. And that'll occur even if Luck doesn't come out.

So much depends on the team needs versus what's available and at this early juncture, there will be plenty of pass rushers to select from. For my money if a top QB isn't available and it appears there isn't a dominant OLT, take the best pass rusher who can play 43DE or 34OLB. But that would get the GM fired, because RW knows all about NFL personnel.

you need an elite QB in this league. Having the top pick is a great chance to get one. If you don't have one already, you take one. Fitz is not elite. Therefor it has got to be a QB.

The problem is that some people are under the misconception that Ryan Mallett is an "elite QB" :unsure:

I disagree. this is a QB driven league and the best teams have elite QB's.

If you have the #1 overall pick you have a chance at selecting a special talent that will become a pro-bowler and solidfy your franchise for the next decade.

If you want to address LB or OT with the 1st pick in the second round or heck, spend the rest of our picks on the line thats fine with me.

Is fitz a serviceable QB? sure. Will he win you games? maybe. Fitz is a feel good story but he isn't the long term answer. Sure he is making this season exciting at least for the offense. But having that #1 pick is a rare opportunity to secure a rare commodity in this league.

I want the next Peyton Manning / Drew Brees / Tom Brady / Aaron Rodgers. And if any QB in college right now has a chance to be a player on that level we better not miss with the #1 overall pick.

Not that I disagree with understanding the value of the #1 overall pick and making sure that the value is worth the player and not to be a douchebag, but Brees and Brady were not drafted in the 1st round, let alone #1 overall....just sayin

Depends on who is there when we draft. It will be hard to pass on Luck.

Everyone knows that "Buffalo needs Luck".

Unfortunately John there is no OT or LB worth a top 5 pick my man. Franchise QB is the way to go, grab one while you can. I like Fitz, but the beauty of grabbing a franchise QB is we will not have to throw him to the wolves with Fitz around. Fitz can be the new age Frank Reich. :thumbsup:

Thank you.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand.

This is about the third time I've posted this sentence in a thread in as many weeks:

There are no Bruce Smith's or Lawrence Taylor's or even Julius Peppers or Mario Williams in this draft.

Luck is the way to go...and it has nothing to do with how well or how bad Fitz plays.

There is no way any of this years QB's are going to come in and play any better that Fitz has s the last few weeks. Sure he makes mistakes and throws bad passes but so does every other NFL QB. Fits is not the reason this team is losing. This defense is beyond bad. It's setting records for futility.

Not that I disagree with understanding the value of the #1 overall pick and making sure that the value is worth the player and not to be a douchebag, but Brees and Brady were not drafted in the 1st round, let alone #1 overall....just sayin

It doesnt matter where those guys were drafted... follow my logic.

If the Bills scouting staff has identified "QB X" as the next elite QB, wouldnt you want to ENSURE we get him? the only way to do so would be to draft him with #1 overall pick.

Would you wait till our 2nd round pick at 33 because Mel Kiper said he should be available there? what about the idea to trade down to say #9 in the first round because you think "QB X" will still be around at 9. but alas when our pick comes up at 9 some other team has already realized the value of QB X and drafted him before our pick no we missed out.

To spin this another way, think back to 2003. looking back would you have rather we traded up and gotten Phillip Rivers or Ben, or just been "happy enough" with JP ? how did that turn out? how many years did that set the organization back?

Can excellent QB's be found in later rounds? sure. is it likely or practical to base the success of your franchise around doing so? no.

If 7th round pick Tom Brady was to be re-drafted, where do you think he would be taken if we could re-do that draft?

If the Bills are sold on "QB X" being the next big thing, they better do EVERYTHING within their power to secure such an important asset to the organization.

I was just about to make a similar comment then I saw yours already. So I'll add on to it a little. Just as much as not all good/great qbs were drafted in the first round or first overall there is always the possibility of getting burned with a high pick. Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Matt Lienart, even Vince Young. None of these guys blew away expectations of early draft picks. There is just as much of a chance you get Ryan Leaf as there is Payton Manning. I'm with you, some people just don't realize the odds of finding one of the greats. Brady, Brees, Montana, Rodgers, Marino, etc..... None of them were drafted 1st overall and they are all great. We have just as much of a shot to pick up a solid 5th round QB as we do a 1st rounder IMO.

I was just about to make a similar comment then I saw yours already. So I'll add on to it a little. Just as much as not all good/great qbs were drafted in the first round or first overall there is always the possibility of getting burned with a high pick. Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Matt Lienart, even Vince Young. None of these guys blew away expectations of early draft picks. There is just as much of a chance you get Ryan Leaf as there is Payton Manning. I'm with you, some people just don't realize the odds of finding one of the greats. Brady, Brees, Montana, Rodgers, Marino, etc..... None of them were drafted 1st overall and they are all great. We have just as much of a shot to pick up a solid 5th round QB as we do a 1st rounder IMO.

No your right. I think the success rate for a high first round QB is somewhere around 60%.

but,

a mid-lower round QB has a success rate somewhere in the 5-15% range most likely becoming a "journey man" type player.

are there exceptions to the rule? of course there are. (Brady / Romo /Warner)

but,

the vast majority of ELITE QB's have been taken with high picks

You may be right in theory, but I think you would agree that Luck looks closer to being a Peyton Manning than he is to being a JaMarcus Russell.

If it comes down to some of the other QB prospects, it would be more of a toss-up for sure.

He is also the reason we have any offense. Brohm, Trent, LEvi are not even close to this guy. We would not have been in the last three games if it was not for him. I know he makes horrible Ints late in the game, but actually like watching bills games again.

So fitz is good enough for us to lose close games, Ill give you that. But I want to win games. We need an upgrade at every position, including QB.

FWIW, I only want Luck. Pass on everyone else, but if Luck declares, he is by far and away the BPA and a position of need for us.

Thank you.

This is about the third time I've posted this sentence in a thread in as many weeks:

There are no Bruce Smith's or Lawrence Taylor's or even Julius Peppers or Mario Williams in this draft.

Luck is the way to go...and it has nothing to do with how well or how bad Fitz plays.

Disagree. Bowers out of Clemson is the next cornerstone D Lineman. 21 years old, 6'4" 290lbs and fast. I agree with building around Fitz. the young guys on the O-Line are playing better. Draft Bowers. Sign D Line man Tamba from KC and ILB David Bowens from the NY Jets.

+1 I can't believe ppl are actually saying build around him! He is the reason we lost!

Thank you.

That is IF they keep the pick

I dont know it was just something about that phrase Nix used after the draft about saying he wished he had 3 picks in every round.....

By the way....I dont hate Luck....might be the smart way to go....but I hope to god if they DO draft Luck they are active in free agency on offensive linemen and defense.

I get all the LUCK love, and I understand talk of "QB-driven league". But, would you rather have Fitz on the bench behind Luck, or Kelsay on the bench behind some stud-rookie OLB AND the extra picks you get with trading down?? Which gets you more wins? Yes, it takes two to trade, but if you've got the #1 pick, that's ownership - that's a chance to see how badly others want Luck. It's not the end of the world if you take a probable-franchise QB -- really, who could complain (other than Luck as he picks himself off the turf for the 4th time every game, because we're obviously throwing because we're constantly behind because we can't stop anyone!) that you've drafted the next PManning? BUT, I'd be listening eagerly to trade offers in hopes of scoring several studly defensive types.

The Fitz haters who point out his INT need to stop. If he lost the game, then it's only because he (almost single-handedly) is the reason you were in the game and had a chance of winning. Sure, we all wish he didn't throw that pick, but did you see the rest of his game?? And you're gonna complain about him being the reason we lost?????

Edited by Sabre Bill

+1 I can't believe ppl are actually saying build around him! He is the reason we lost!

Agreed. I don't know what some people are smoking. Fitz single-handedly lost those games for us. No one else was throwing those INTs. Maybe they don't understand the QB position, where games can be lost based on single plays they make. You need to be perfectly mistake-free. Games usually aren't lost on a single missed tackle, but games can be botched on a single play by the QB. He is involved with every single play on the offensive side. Not so with any other player - except center. People have to ask themselves this: all things being equal, to begin building your team, would you draft either Manning/Brady or Ngata/Matthews?

If Luck is there you take him. If he isn't, then we need passrushers, either DE or LB, doesn't matter to me. We also need another strong side LB to replace Kelsay (Bruce Carter from N.C would be perfect). I know we drafted Troupe and we have Williams, but I feel like we need some more beef at the NT, unless we can switch back to the 4-3, which would suit Williams better. A run blocking RT would be nice. Seems like we can't run the edges, which tells me the tackles are weak when it comes to run blocking.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Fitz is absolutely the reason we lost today. Besides the fluke extra point.

His two interceptions were horrible throws at a time when the game should have been put away. He also missed a wide open long TD to Nelson in the final 6 minutes. You can't ask a guy to be perfect, I get that. But there were 3 very specific plays, where any average QB in the league would have made those throws, and the Bills win.

I'm not a Fitz basher and he is our best choice right now. But he lost this game.

That is IF they keep the pick

I dont know it was just something about that phrase Nix used after the draft about saying he wished he had 3 picks in every round.....

By the way....I dont hate Luck....might be the smart way to go....but I hope to god if they DO draft Luck they are active in free agency on offensive linemen and defense.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/122874-okits-obvious-to-me-where-we-go-with-that-first-pick/page__view__findpost__p__2028417

There are a good number of posters here who will blindly support any quarterback the Bills put under center. That is fine.

Reality is that Spritzer is a journeyman backup caliber qb in the NFL. The stats don't lie. Your eyes don't lie when you watch him blunder away game after game with clutch chokes.

Sure, he is our best option now. Nobody really disputes that.

But he is literally winless. For being so darn good, we have ZERO wins. Is that really good enough?

Fits is the reason we were in close games. The Defense is the problem. If they were bad, it would be an improvement.

There are a good number of posters here who will blindly support any quarterback the Bills put under center. That is fine.

Reality is that Spritzer is a journeyman backup caliber qb in the NFL. The stats don't lie. Your eyes don't lie when you watch him blunder away game after game with clutch chokes.

Sure, he is our best option now. Nobody really disputes that.

But he is literally winless. For being so darn good, we have ZERO wins. Is that really good enough?

And there a good number of posters here who blindly believe that the only position of value on an NFL team is the QB.

They ignore the fact that the defense can't generate a pass rush, can't stop the running game, and can't cover TEs.

They also ignore the value of a QB who can throw under pressure, can convert 3rd downs, and can acutally read a defense (something that has been lacking in Buffalo QBs since Jim Kelly).

Give an honest answer, if Cutler had to face the pressure that Fitz faced in this game, do the Bears win?