Fitz #2 Rated Passer in The NFL

Silvercrw

Take a look at who the new #2 Rated passer in the league is now! We have found our Qb.

This season is very telling. We were mad about James Hardy being a Bust and found an emerging Star Stevie Johnson. Same Draft, 5 rounds later a star emerges.

Laugh at me if you will but this year this team is reminding me of the first year colts when manning was drafted. Playing tough to the end and scoring points. Next year might be something!

Take a look at who the new #2 Rated passer in the league is now! We have found our Qb.

This season is very telling. We were mad about James Hardy being a Bust and found an emerging Star Stevie Johnson. Same Draft, 5 rounds later a star emerges.

Laugh at me if you will but this year this team is reminding me of the first year colts when manning was drafted. Playing tough to the end and scoring points. Next year might be something!

I think Fitzy could be our QB for a few years. hes smart, tough and it seems his accuracy has improved. If there isnt a QB there you want in round one dont take one. Fitz threw for 370 yards against a damn good defense today and a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio is pretty good. Fitz may be my new favorite player

Gailey again shows what a mastermind on offense he is, getting the most out of what he has...Fitz would not be putting up these numbers without Gailey, but he has been a damn good player the last 4 weeks mostly. Johnson is gonna be a 1000 yard receiver this year...dude just constantly finds ways to get open and is slippery in the open field...

My God it's like you guys will never learn. It's to a point now where you are literally handicapped if you try and uncover something positive about this team. "Looking forward to next year" "Looks like we finally found our guy" or my favorite "THIS IS LIKE THE COLTS IN PEYTON MANNINGS FIRST YEAR" ARE YOU SERIOUS? WAKE UP IDIOTS

My God it's like you guys will never learn. It's to a point now where you are literally handicapped if you try and uncover something positive about this team. "Looking forward to next year" "Looks like we finally found our guy" or my favorite "THIS IS LIKE THE COLTS IN PEYTON MANNINGS FIRST YEAR" ARE YOU SERIOUS? WAKE UP IDIOTS

Only one person referred to Manning

Let people speak positively about something positive on thew team we love ...wtf

Especially in the sea of crap that we've been swimming in lately.

Go away

Those are some well reasoned points that you make. It's hard to believe that more people are swayed by your arguments.

Wow, way to make lemons out of grapes. This was the best performance by a Bills QB in a long, long time. Nothing to be negative about. As long as we are getting better, in at least one critical part of the game, I (and many other fans) will have hope, not hate. Do I think we've turned the corner? No. Will we still have some bad offensive games? Yes. But there is at least a little room for optimism.

Give credit where credit is due...

Way to go Fitz! Great Game!!

Wow, way to make lemons out of grapes. This was the best performance by a Bills QB in a long, long time. Nothing to be negative about. As long as we are getting better, in at least one critical part of the game, I (and many other fans) will have hope, not hate. Do I think we've turned the corner? No. Will we still have some bad offensive games? Yes. But there is at least a little room for optimism.

Give credit where credit is due...

Way to go Fitz! Great Game!!

I will add that this terrific O performance was against the vaunted Ravens D. Oh, but wait it was because they were looking past the Bills and waiting for the bye week <_<

For weeks I have been hearing how Fitz played well against 'inferior' defenses. Today's game proved a lot in favor of Gailey and Fitz - they got a lot done with a make-shift OL, supposedly second tier QB, mostly no-name WRs etc.

I like Fitz but his accuracy is not that of a playoff caliber QB. Can he improve this at his (young) age?

I've heard Phil Simms say that a QB's accuracy gets better the longer he plays. His feeling was the longer you play the more you work on mechanics and footwork, and the better you get at putting the ball where you want it. I hope that's the case, and that by the end of the year we're just looking for an LT (Cordero Howard!) and some linebackers / def line help for Kyle Williams.

I agree with you. Some people are acting like he is the second coming of Christ. Don't get me wrong, he has been playing excellently. But, very well for just 4 games. The rest of his career suggests otherwise. He is an above average QB at best, not an excellent QB nor an elite one. He lit it up against a team that was most likely already looking past us to next week and we were coming off a bye. In addition, Gailey is known for polishing turds.

Now, he very well be our answer. But let's wait until the end of the year. We have another half season left and let's see who declares. For us to pass on an elite QB for another one of Gailey's one-hit-wonders (when we'll have the best draft position in years) would be devastating to this franchise.

I like Fitz but his accuracy is not that of a playoff caliber QB. Can he improve this at his (young) age?

That is Fitz's failing, his accuracy is inconsistent. Every big game he's had he goes flat in the 3rd Q and starts throwing ducks. This was the first game this season where he shook off the yips and got his mojo back. Maybe if he gets more time as a starter and gets more chemistry with his receivers he will improve.

But seriously, if Fitz is a top-3 NFL QB at season's end, do we still draft a QB #1?

PTR

I agree with you. Some people are acting like he is the second coming of Christ. Don't get me wrong, he has been playing excellently. But, very well for just 4 games. The rest of his career suggests otherwise. He is an above average QB at best, not an excellent QB nor an elite one. He lit it up against a team that was most likely already looking past us to next week and we were coming off a bye. In addition, Gailey is known for polishing turds.

Now, he very well be our answer. But let's wait until the end of the year. We have another half season left and let's see who declares. For us to pass on an elite QB for another one of Gailey's one-hit-wonders (when we'll have the best draft position in years) would be devastating to this franchise.

Who are you referring to?

PTR

I haven't read anyone saying he was the second coming of christ, the Ravens are a really good D coming off a lose they weren't looking past anyone

Edited by billfan63

Sorry guys, maybe idiot was a bit strong. Considering Einstein's definition of insane is to continually repeat the same thing again and again while expecting different results, I'll go with absolutely deranged. I'm not trying to take away from a very good performance today, but come on guys. It's been over a decade. You have to have learned by now to not claim a guy who's been on 3 teams in 5 years, who was drafted from the ivy league in the 7th round, who never had more TDs than picks, is the savior we've been waiting so patiently for. Haha, the Manning comparison is insane, you have to at least say that. Keep perspective, this guy is not the answer, hopefully we'll get our guy number one overall next year. The beautiful thing about the NFL is a team can turn it around in a one year span. I'd kill to be the Rams, and hopefully we'll start the process next year.

If we could get two #1 picks for our #1 overall, and there is some serious defensive talent to be had, it would be very tempting.

PTR

won't mean anything if George Edwards is still the DC...NO defense in the NFL is as bad as he is making it out to be with his horrible game plans, inability to make adjustments, and constant habit of putting his players in the exact wrong defensive call for the offensive play call...dude is a joke...no team in the NFL is bad enough on D that they allow 30+ points to teams that aren't even that good on offense...

Iam not going to laugh at all Fitzpatrick is looking very good and I have all the respect for the way he plays.he is developeing into a good QB. I don't think Ryan will ever be in the same class as Manning but I can see Fitzy being a reliable QB.

Gailey has proven, over the years, to be be able to get the most out of quarterbacks he has had on his roster. But the facts are, it not only hasn't worked with every QB he has coached, but also that no one could or should expect it to. Just because Gailey made the most out of Kordell Stewart doesn't mean he could make the most out of me or you. There are certain qualities an NFL player must have, when the regular season games are played, that separates the ordinary from the good and great. Gailey tried with edwards and it just didn't work. Maybe Edwards simply doesn't have what it takes. But it's also not a stretch to think that the Gailey magic might work on a guy like Fitzpatrick, who has certain qualities that are unteachable and others that are.

usually, accuracy, which is Fitzpatrick's greatest fault IMO, is not a teachable quality. But sometimes it is, and sometimes experience can improve a QB's accuracy, It doesn't happen often, you cant count on it to happen, but it does happen. Right now, Fitz is playing excellent. It's possible the Gailey magic worked on him and not Edwards simply because Fitz is a gamer and Edwards is not. I've argued before that the only reason Fitz is not a viable answer is because he's simply not accurate enough. The game against the Pats was a prime example. he HAS to hit that pass to Parrish that should have been a TD but was an INT. But the last couple games, he was a lot more accurate. If the gailey magic works on Fitz, he's a decent stopgap QB. In his five or so starts, he's close to the top of the league. And we have been putting up 30 points.

The thing you guys dont understand is that This guy has played in under 25 games for his career in 4 systems. Name me any other QB who as looked this good with that limited number of games and 4 new systems. 5 Games into this new system and you see how he is playing. This could be the diamond in the ruff we have been waiting for. He is still very young. Just because he was a 7th round pick does not mean he can't play. He has been impressive. If he keeps this up all year no way do we draft a Qb #1. Highest score ever for a qb on teh wonderlic and very athletic. I have a feeling about this guy. BTW I moved from NJ to AZ a few years ago. Happens that he is from the town I live at here in AZ :) Gilbert, AZ

wow youre the idiot, you still cling to losers like edwards and rip a guy whose playing great and who played great before, he gets better every game and imagine if he played half this good every week and if we had a defense

Just a couple notes:

One thing interesting about Bills fans is that after more than a decade of futility and mismanagement and having the worst record in the league, there is always the hope that next year will be different. When all else is lost, hope remains.

The Bills defense is allowing the opposing QB's to an average QB rating over 110? This porous defense will make a long season even longer. At least the Bills offense provided a little entertainment value.

BTW, Flacco had a higher game QB rating than Fitz.

Buffalo Bills Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int Rating

Ryan Fitzpatrick(notes) 29 43 374 67.4 8.7 1 0 4 2 106.2

Baltimore Ravens Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int Rating

Joe Flacco(notes) 16 31 250 51.6 8.1 2 21 3 0 111.0

it was the INTs that hurt his rating and one wasn't really all on him as he got hit as he let it go. Overall Fitz was better than JF.

Really encouraging stats from the game

Third Down Efficiency 11-17 2-11

Time of Possession 38:36 25:30

Total Net Yards 506 364

Total Plays 79 62

Average Gain Per Play 6.4 5.9

The 4 turn overs killed us and the refs finished the job. I still kind of think Bal. maybe heading to a SB this year, so I was impressed with the game. Esply the gonads the team showed in the 4th on O and D. The 2, 3and outs at the end that the Bills gave the Ravens were very big (although I have no idea why they didn't run it more). It was good to see the Bills D step up there.

I've always liked Fitzy, but I've been one of those that looked at him as a career backup. I think he has some good tools, but I've thought like others that his accuracy and velocity were the biggest issues for him. Like Kelly said, there are throws that he has to make, but missed either because of accuracy or a lack of velocity on the ball.

I'm starting to wonder just how much of an issue that has to be, though. If a guy can throw for that many yards and TDs on the road against the #3 defense in the league, he's got some balls. The thing I like about him is that he has the two things that are hard to teach -- pocket presence, and the moxie to take chances instead of playing it safe. JP had horrible pocket presence, but he did have some moxie. Trent had fairly horrible pocket presence and absolutely no moxie.

It's just nice to see a guy who knows when to tuck and run, and who doesn't bail on every play if the #1 receiver isn't wide open.

Personally, I'd give the job to Fitz and do everything in my power to shore up the defense next year. The offense is actually fairly decent -- it's that defense that is downright embarrassing.