If Jauron was really a "moran"

Then how did he take essentially the same set of players and win 6-7 games a year? Scary thought. So far, I am unimpressed by Chan Gailey, and that's being kind.

I was thinking the same thing... The d was better last year, but the O is a lot worse off, and I can not understand that, Chan is sappose to be a great O coach...

Then how did he take essentially the same set of players and win 6-7 games a year? Scary thought. So far, I am unimpressed by Chan Gailey, and that's being kind.

The talent on offense is actually worse this year. Hard to believe but consider this:

RT Green is much worse than Brad Butler. WR Johnson is worse than TO and is not NFL starter caliber. Stupar is a third string TE and is worse than the schlump that started last year at TE. Trent is worse than ever. Meredith is a nightmare in his part time role as a LT. Have seen no development from Wood or Levitre yet.

Drafting Spiller has not helped so far and we cannot play Spiller, Jackson and Lynch at the same time. Three starting RBs is a flawed concept.

Drafting Easley and Wang brought nothing to the club this year.

Jauron had a pretty good group of assistants. Cantavolos, Cross, & Sanders were retained by Gailey and using the preseason positions for Fewell (NYG) & Van Pelt (TB), those 2 plus April(Phil), Kugler (Pit), Studesville (Den) Brown(SF) & Tolbert (Car) all got comparable jobs with other teams. Matt Sheldon got a lesser job with Minnesota & Jauron is DB coach in Philadelphia. That's 12 guys still in the NFL. That staff was not as bad as the people who think Gailey & his staff was an instant upgrade guaranteed to produce more victories believed.

Fewell, who was coaching for his life did everything he thought possible to win. In the process, he decided that Fitzpatrick was his best QB to try to win games with. 1st he benched Edwards, then after Brohm played in Atlanta & some wanted Fewell to see more by starting Brohm against Indy, Fewell was more concerned with winning & went back to Fitz. Maybe Perry knew something that Gailey is just finding out-Fitzpatrick is the best QB of the group.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Jauron had a pretty good group of assistants. Cantavolos, Cross, & Sanders were retained by Gailey and using the preseason positions for Fewell (NYG) & Van Pelt (TB), those 2 plus April(Phil), Kugler (Pit), Studesville (Den) Brown(SF) & Tolbert (Car) all got comparable jobs with other teams. Matt Sheldon got a lesser job with Minnesota & Jauron is DB coach in Philadelphia. That's 12 guys still in the NFL. That staff was not as bad as the people who think Gailey & his staff was an instant upgrade guaranteed to produce more victories believed.

Fewell, who was coaching for his life did everything he thought possible to win. In the process, he decided that Fitzpatrick was his best QB to try to win games with. 1st he benched Edwards, then after Brohm played in Atlanta & some wanted Fewell to see more by starting Brohm against Indy, Fewell was more concerned with winning & went back to Fitz. Maybe Perry knew something that Gailey is just finding out-Fitzpatrick is the best QB of the group.

Exactly. Jauron did have a good coaching staff. The problem is and always has been whoever makes the personnel decisions. Jauron was a problem since he was a terrible tactician on the field. Fitz is not gun shy, so that's why he'll win more than Edwards. That being said, I want us to bottom out so we can get a top five, if not the #1 pick overall. I'm so tired of drafting 8-12. If we're going to always suck, let's be the absolute worst and hopefully not screw up another draft.

Exactly. Jauron did have a good coaching staff. The problem is and always has been whoever makes the personnel decisions. Jauron was a problem since he was a terrible tactician on the field. Fitz is not gun shy, so that's why he'll win more than Edwards. That being said, I want us to bottom out so we can get a top five, if not the #1 pick overall. I'm so tired of drafting 8-12. If we're going to always suck, let's be the absolute worst and hopefully not screw up another draft.

:wallbash:

What's a "moran", anyway?

Edited by BuffaloWings

I agree. That's why on January 2nd, if a loss at the Jets clinches the #1 pick, I'll be rooting for the Jets. While I understand the players want to win & will be trying, I don't understand the fans who want to feel good with victory 2 or 3 of the season when in the long run it could cost the team the impact player they so desperately need to start turning things around. There was a thread where someone listed the #1 pick QBs since 1970, I did the math & 6 of 18 (33%) ended up winning the Super Bowl at least once. 4 of the 18 (22%) won the Super Bowl more than once.

Honestly, I'm starting to think this is all simply part of the plan...The Bills did not re-sign TO...They did not seem to make any great attempts to address the QB or LT positions this off season...They used the #9 overall Draft pick at arguably their deepest position...It looks like the perfect "lets just bottom out" plan...Not that the Bills are going out and trying to lose, but I think Nix and Gailey understand at this point, it may very well be the best idea...

I have VERY little doubt that Gailey is a better Coach than Jauron overall...VERY little...But the truth is this Team was lacking in 3 areas that are virtually impossible to turn around in one year...QB, O-Line, and last but certainly not least toughness...The Bills can't out-physical anyone...And until they get the Roster filled with a bunch of tougher players they are going to continue to get beat up, and they will continue to lose the physical battle...They will continue to lose period actually...

Look at the top Picks during the Levy/Jauron era and pick me out a couple physical players...4 NFL Drafts and I come up with 2 guys...Wood and Kyle Williams...That's it...And we wonder why they looked outmatched in the 2nd half of just about every Game?...The Bills...Gailey/Nix...better figure out how to inject some major toughness and physicality in this team over the next year plus or this is going to continue even with a shiny new QB... B-)

The talent on offense is actually worse this year. Hard to believe but consider this:

RT Green is much worse than Brad Butler. WR Johnson is worse than TO and is not NFL starter caliber. Stupar is a third string TE and is worse than the schlump that started last year at TE. Trent is worse than ever. Meredith is a nightmare in his part time role as a LT. Have seen no development from Wood or Levitre yet.

Drafting Spiller has not helped so far and we cannot play Spiller, Jackson and Lynch at the same time. Three starting RBs is a flawed concept.

Drafting Easley and Wang brought nothing to the club this year.

What did Brad Butler play last year, one game? He doesn't enter into the equation at all. The rest is fine, but I can't see how this line is any worse than last year's so far(on paper anyway). With all those injuries it was the biggest patchwork O-line anyone can possibly imagine.

Either year, the Bills are excrement because of the lack of talent on the roster. Talent makes the coach, not the other way around. Jauron actually looked like a good coach with Urlacher, Briggs, Brown, Harris et al. And Belichick looked like Hank Bullough when he coached the Browns. It's WAY to early to judge Gailey as a coach. Criticsm of Nix/Ralph become more legit as time goes on, but two games for the head coach. No.

I have VERY little doubt that Gailey is a better Coach than Jauron overall...VERY little...But the truth is this Team was lacking in 3 areas that are virtually impossible to turn around in one year...QB, O-Line, and last but certainly not least toughness...The Bills can't out-physical anyone...And until they get the Roster filled with a bunch of tougher players they are going to continue to get beat up, and they will continue to lose the physical battle...They will continue to lose period actually...

But did they bring in anyone this entire offseason that improves in any of those 3 areas? If that can't be turned around in one year, they're now suddenly stuck in a spot where that can't be turned around in two years.

1) Edwards is regressing even more than he did last year.

2) Trying to run a 3-4 with 4-3 players.

3) Just guessing, but I'm thinking the OL had more continuity last year than this in terms of coaching. The only reason I can think that the blocking is SO bad with largely the same players as last year is that the new OL coach is a drastic departure from last year's, and the linemen haven't figured out what he wants yet.

it's not the coaching - honestly joemac the talent level on offense is well below what dj/fewell had last year. this is unfortunately going to take until the 2012 season before we are truly contending for a playoff spot - and that is not the head coaches fault. actually it isn't even nix's fault - you can blame nix for anything that transpires from january of this year forward. if we all remember in his first presser he did say it would take some time to get it right. i still think we have a good plan in place - a good approach in place - we just need the time to get the talent in place. 2010 will be aweful - 2011 will be a little better - 2012 will be enjoyable - and i can live with that - i don't like it - but that is the reality of the talent situation both nix and gailey inherited.

But did they bring in anyone this entire offseason that improves in any of those 3 areas? If that can't be turned around in one year, they're now suddenly stuck in a spot where that can't be turned around in two years.

Maybe Troupe and Carrington for toughness in time? That's about it I guess...So point taken... B-)

1) Edwards is sucking even more than he did last year.

3) Just guessing, but I'm thinking the OL had more continuity last year than this in terms of coaching. The only reason I can think that the blocking is SO bad with largely the same players as last year is that the new OL coach is a drastic departure from last year's, and the linemen haven't figured out what he wants yet.

Fixed #1

Edited by Maddog69

a) they've played two games, not 16

b) it's not essentially the same set of players. The #1 WR and RT are both gone, and they were probably the two best players on offense (along with Jackson).

c) Jauron had several other talented players during his tenure; Peters, Greer, etc.

Either year, the Bills are excrement because of the lack of talent on the roster. Talent makes the coach, not the other way around. Jauron actually looked like a good coach with Urlacher, Briggs, Brown, Harris et al. And Belichick looked like Hank Bullough when he coached the Browns. It's WAY to early to judge Gailey as a coach. Criticsm of Nix/Ralph become more legit as time goes on, but two games for the head coach. No.

True re Gailey but Jauron showed his true colours in Chicago eventually and, though its perhaps hard to know for sure, had a lot to say in the drafts during his tenure in Buffalo that are the real reason this team (and other losers like, until recently, the Lions and Rams)is in such pathetic shape. Probably shouldn't repeat what has been said a million times but watching us put no presssure on Rodgers (when his games are usually a sackfest)and then watching Orapko these past two weeks looking very much like Skins best defensive player just makes me sick to my stomach. Word is that Maybin was Dickie's pick.

1) Edwards is regressing even more than he did last year.

Not just 4-3 players, but undersized 4-3 players targeted to play a hybrid version of the Tampa 2 where the focus of the D seemed to center on DB's.

The one thing that really pissed me off was being down by 27 points and we basically gave up and treated the game like we were up by 7 points and we were trying to run out the clock.

Most teams would at least give it effort and try to atleast advace the ball by trhowing it, but nope, not us. We packed (no pun intended) it in and left with our tails between out legs. A losers mentality.

First DJ was a smart guy, just not the coach people liked to see. He was hampered by a lack of talent and poor FO moves, but was also VERY VERY conservative and seemed to be big on making guys feel ok with losing.

What would he have done to win either of the first two games. Maybe Fitz starts vs Miami, but their D was solid. I would have been surprised to see another QB pull a win out there.

Green Bay is better at EVERY postion on the field. Every one. Maybe The Bills have better kickers and RB due to injury. No way DJ fares any better there.

Chan is an upgrade as is Nix. If there are enough of an improvment to get the job done, well we will see.

The Bills philosophy seems to be that you have to take a step backwards before you take another step backwards.

I love how this board forgets history every summer.

and as I warned Chan supporters early- I've heard this rant for a long time.

there's no way Phillips can be as bad as than that wimp Levi, there's no way Williams can be as bad as that as that dolt Phillips, there's no way Mularkey can be as bad as that weasel Williams, there's no way that Jauron can be as bad as that Basket case Mularkey, and finally, there's no way that Chan can be as bad as that Manikin Jauron- the only thing I wonder is what descriptive word we will use when dumping Chan.

Jauron got his guys to play his Pop Warner Mighty Mite schemes to the best of their ability. They played hard and he had 4 years to bring in the players to suit his systems. That was his oft cited strength as a coach.

Unfortunately, that's not what it takes to be good NFL team, a team that can make the playoffs. Having underwhelming talent, guys that "feel the love" and "want to be here" and keeping the continuity can keep a mediocre team mediocre for a few years. But the remedial schemes, lack of in-game adjustments, etc. meant the team was always playing with one arm tied behind its back and the better teams could wipe the floor with the Bills virtually every time.

I agree. That's why on January 2nd, if a loss at the Jets clinches the #1 pick, I'll be rooting for the Jets. While I understand the players want to win & will be trying, I don't understand the fans who want to feel good with victory 2 or 3 of the season when in the long run it could cost the team the impact player they so desperately need to start turning things around. There was a thread where someone listed the #1 pick QBs since 1970, I did the math & 6 of 18 (33%) ended up winning the Super Bowl at least once. 4 of the 18 (22%) won the Super Bowl more than once.

Boy, are you all you guys rooting for "bottoming out" going to be disappointed when Ralph trades the #1 pick away.

Edited by FightClub

I think it mostly has to due with Talent of the roster. In 2006 we were able to play close games against teams like the Chargers and Colts even if we had lost. Of course at that time we had: Fletcher, Clements (when he was still good), Schobel, pre-injury KO, Greer, pre-injury Crowell, Peters and some others I'm not thinking of...which makes me wonder if we had held on to these guys and drafted at other spots where would we be right now?

b) it's not essentially the same set of players. The #1 WR and RT are both gone, and they were probably the two best players on offense (along with Jackson).

c) Jauron had several other talented players during his tenure; Peters, Greer, etc.

The two teams Buffalo played so far seem to be well oiled at 2-0. Maybe they're the leagues best. The point is there's some sucky teams on the schedule Buffalo can hang with and win. Lindell games y'know.

it's not the coaching - honestly joemac the talent level on offense is well below what dj/fewell had last year. this is unfortunately going to take until the 2012 season before we are truly contending for a playoff spot - and that is not the head coaches fault. actually it isn't even nix's fault - you can blame nix for anything that transpires from january of this year forward. if we all remember in his first presser he did say it would take some time to get it right. i still think we have a good plan in place - a good approach in place - we just need the time to get the talent in place. 2010 will be aweful - 2011 will be a little better - 2012 will be enjoyable - and i can live with that - i don't like it - but that is the reality of the talent situation both nix and gailey inherited.

True re Gailey but Jauron showed his true colours in Chicago eventually and, though its perhaps hard to know for sure, had a lot to say in the drafts during his tenure in Buffalo that are the real reason this team (and other losers like, until recently, the Lions and Rams)is in such pathetic shape. Probably shouldn't repeat what has been said a million times but watching us put no presssure on Rodgers (when his games are usually a sackfest)and then watching Orapko these past two weeks looking very much like Skins best defensive player just makes me sick to my stomach. Word is that Maybin was Dickie's pick.

Try telling that to the ravens....

though I agree, there were other needs that needed attention.

Jauron got his guys to play his Pop Warner Mighty Mite schemes to the best of their ability. They played hard and he had 4 years to bring in the players to suit his systems. That was his oft cited strength as a coach.

Unfortunately, that's not what it takes to be good NFL team, a team that can make the playoffs. Having underwhelming talent, guys that "feel the love" and "want to be here" and keeping the continuity can keep a mediocre team mediocre for a few years. But the remedial schemes, lack of in-game adjustments, etc. meant the team was always playing with one arm tied behind its back and the better teams could wipe the floor with the Bills virtually every time.

This team could win two games and not change the fact that Jauron was a truly awful head coach for the Bills.

All of you guys have really got to stop making sense. There is no room here for that we lost 2 games! :rolleyes::ph34r:

First DJ was a smart guy, just not the coach people liked to see. He was hampered by a lack of talent and poor FO moves, but was also VERY VERY conservative and seemed to be big on making guys feel ok with losing.

What would he have done to win either of the first two games. Maybe Fitz starts vs Miami, but their D was solid. I would have been surprised to see another QB pull a win out there.

Green Bay is better at EVERY postion on the field. Every one. Maybe The Bills have better kickers and RB due to injury. No way DJ fares any better there.

Chan is an upgrade as is Nix. If there are enough of an improvment to get the job done, well we will see.

Dick Jauron was an integral part of that Front Office!!!