Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

I know this will offend a lot of people, but I'm sorry, it's U2. :oops:

These guys could barely play their instruments on their 1st few albums. :doh:

And how can a greatest band ever claim songs like "Sweetest Thing" and "Mysterious Ways?" :sick:

And come on, Boner wearing dark sunglasses in doors and at night? :flirt:

And "The Edge" with the winter skull cap at all times too? :ph34r:

For this they get treated like royalty? :worthy:

I mean, seriously, no ... :thumbdown:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of ALL TIME? Dunno

Probably of my time.

Has to be the most pretentious band of my time. They are uninteresting in every conceivable way, IMO.

I thought you were going to get slammed with the U2 thing, but it's so true. They've been riding the same bass line for the last 5 or so albums. With the exception of "One" what do they have besides a couple of relaxing mood songs and a seemingly endless reel of uninspired time filler radio songs?

I'll also give a second to Nirvana. I remember a time when a framed picture Kurt Cobain was as common in a in a college kids apartment as a picture of the Queen in a North Ireland household.

Edited by Rob's House

Not nearly as over-rated as U2, simply because of their global following, but I will throw KISS into the arguement.

Well KISS certainly sucks. But don't most know they are a make-up bulls#it band? I know few who take them too seriously.

I know these won't be popular choices, but I will go Rush, Steely Dan and the Beach Boys... shame on you Beatle bashers! 0:)

Although I don't hate everything they have ever done, I could also agree with Springsteen and U2...

Edited by Buftex

the beatles?...seriously? even if you don't like em (and why wouldn't you?) you gotta respect em....everyone who plays an instrument knows how to play multiple beatles songs and they're mimiced, covered and copied over and over by bands (good and bad, of multiple genres) 40 years after their heyday. now, milli vanilli- there was an overated grammy winning band.

Yes.

yes is overated

the beatles?...seriously? even if you don't like em (and why wouldn't you?) you gotta respect em....everyone who plays an instrument knows how to play multiple beatles songs and they're mimiced, covered and copied over and over by bands (good and bad, of multiple genres)

just one example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qakFIecBU

I can't argue with U2. I'd include AC/DC only because they have made the exact same album their entire career.

Lol @ at those that mentioned Rush and Steely Dan. Rush is basically rock's biggest cult band and has been largely dismissed for their entire careers by the "in" crowd. Mentioning Nickelback in the same sentence as Rush is like...well actually it's so laughable it's really not like anything else as far as ridiculous analogies go. I'm not fan of Steely Dan, but again another band that has never dominated the airwaves or headlines in their career can't possibly be overrated.

I know these won't be popular choices, but I will go Rush, Steely Dan and the Beach Boys... shame on you Beatle bashers! 0:)

Although I don't hate everything they have ever done, I could also agree with Springsteen and U2...

And here we have another subjective music thread but I have to disagree with you on the Beach Boys. They were competing with the Beatles and I think they blew them out of the water. Listen to bet sounds start to finish it may change your mind.

Now with regard to U2........spot !@#$ing on.

My wife will hunt you down and beat the crap out of you for that! :angry:

U2 helped her through some very difficult times. I've seen them 2 Xs with her and both shows were very good, but...to each his/her own.

I can't argue with U2. I'd include AC/DC only because they have made the exact same album their entire career.

Lol @ at those that mentioned Rush and Steely Dan. Rush is basically rock's biggest cult band and has been largely dismissed for their entire careers by the "in" crowd. Mentioning Nickelback in the same sentence as Rush is like...well actually it's so laughable it's really not like anything else as far as ridiculous analogies go. I'm not fan of Steely Dan, but again another band that has never dominated the airwaves or headlines in their career can't possibly be overrated.

Steely Dan has generally been considered to be a band for the cerebral. Once they started posting here and exposed their true "intellect", it has perhaps turned some off as to the intelligence level of thier music.

The Beatles are over-rated? What they hell? People who think this have got to be under 30.

27 number one songs, 15 number one albums, in less than ten years. Yeah, over-rated. I had some kid try and tell me that fukin Radiohead was a better band than the Beatles the other day. What the Beatles did will NEVER be repeated...

Steely Dan has generally been considered to be a band for the cerebral. Once they started posting here and exposed their true "intellect", it has perhaps turned some off as to the intelligence level of thier music.

Steely Dan and Bruce Springsteen are people, not bands so technically they don't belong in this thread.

over-rated is a difficult gauge to define, given personal tastes and what's considered popular at the time.

i generally follow the rule of what bands are/aren't influential by how their music has stood up over the years, which is why i'd disagree with those who have included The Beatles in this thread -- though i know where they're coming from as i once, too, had the same thought. the trouble with The Beatles and Michael Jackson, for that matter, and to a degree Nirvana, is you had to be there at the time to understand what they actually did to push music forward.

-- The Beatles were, in some ways, the "inventors" of popular music in taking the form to its high limits by crafting catchy songs. The Beatles then built on that by showing they were capable of building on their music by exploring numerous other avenues and expanding their reach. with all due respect to Hendrix and Zepplin, i consider "Helter Skelter" a great early grunge/metal/hard-rock song that helped introduce what's possible.

-- the same for Michael Jackson. even overlooking his work with the Jackson 5, which was influential in producing smart bubble-gum pop, his dominance in the early 1980s was essential in providing a counter-point to the punk movement coming from across the Atlantic. Jackson, with two albums, made pop relevant again and, furthemore, his popularity forced change by influencing MTV to broadcast black artists in regular rotation during day-time hours. this alone was important, as it's unlikely Prince would've made the impact he did, while also ushering in lesser lights such as UB40.

-- and it's tough to judge Nirvana, because Cobain died so early. Nirvana, though, did provide an acceptable platform to an American underground sound that had been burgeoning for quite some time -- the Mats, Husker Du, Minutemen, Camper Van Beethoven -- and even allowed some hangers-on (Soul Asylum, Cracker) to get some respectable airplay. i was in Vancouver at the time Nirvana hit, and as much as their songs and that of the Pearl Jam, were overplayed, they did again push music forward by creating a departure from the 80s, be it the L.A. hair-bands to Cindy Lauper.

as such, i don't include Journey on my list because, essentially, they did what they did without pretention or real sense that they were "artistes" in the standard sense.

now to artists that make my over-rated list:

-- genesis, pre and post Gabriel.

-- u2 (hung on far too long), and have failed to provide any new ideas.

-- dave matthews, who to me is much the modern-day version of supertramp, another band that built a high reputation for popularity on a modestly amusing array of pithy tunes.

-- chrissy hynde and the pretenders. why is she still attempting to put out music: it's been far too clear for far too long that late guitarist James Honeywell Scott was the the true influence to this band that put out two good albums a very long time ago.

-- ryan adams, who's capable of writing great songs as much as he's capable of writing the same song over and over and over again and putting it on just about every album he puts out. maybe not over-rated, but he's truly failed to come close to reaching his potential.

-- carrie underwood. take away her looks, and any donkey can be famous producing muzak to the masses.

jw

by the way: one of the most under-rated bands on my list are The Faces.

Edited by john wawrow