Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Who. They have a couple great tunes- but I find most of their stuff awful. They were prolific with mediocre at best albums IMO

I had similar thoughts about them for a while. But recently gave them another look and now I think they're deserving of their status. You have to put it in context of what the music scene was like during their most prolific periods. Some of their lesser known trackes like "The Seeker" just flat out kick butt like no one else ... whats cool is the louder you play them, the better they sound.

Enjoy!

The Who "The Seeker"

Bob Seger - the king of the power ballad? Are you kidding me?!? He's got great ballads (Night Moves actually changed my life, Beautiful Loser, etc.), and he's got great straight ahead rock songs. Rock and Roll never Forgets, Katmandu, Get outta Denver, etc.

How can The Who have only a few good songs? Every single song on Quadrophenia (a double album) and Who's Next is incredible. No filler on either album.

Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Pretty much worthless without Neil.

I think Suite: Judy Blue Eyes is one of the best songs ever written.

Bob Seger - the king of the power ballad? Are you kidding me?!? He's got great ballads (Night Moves actually changed my life, Beautiful Loser, etc.), and he's got great straight ahead rock songs. Rock and Roll never Forgets, Katmandu, Get outta Denver, etc.

Bob Seger...Dead to me.

For me to consider someone overrated, they have to meet two criteria....

1) Their concerts are considered a "must see" by a majority of people, not fans, just people in general

2) If their songs come on the radio, I immediately turn to a different channel

So, based on that, here's my list...

Aerosmith

Rolling Stones

Genesis/Phil Collins

Eric Clapton

Billy Joel

I very much agree with the people that said John Mayer. He's the Dane Cook of music.

Honestly, I love his jazz stuff that you'll never hear on radio.

Part of the problem is that the radio stations overkill so many bands as opposed to putting on a variety of bands from major and independent labels. Classic stations tend to rely on some hits on a daily basis while other songs just sit on their media library waiting to be played. Frankly the radio industry has faltered due to the lack of variety as a large enough portion of their base has either downloaded a mixed together what they want to hear, they frequent websites like Pandora, and/or they pay for stations that give much more variety on Sirius/XM

I will say that I find these to be overrated:

Phil Collins

Poison

Audioslave

post Black Album Metallica

Sublime (great hits, rest of catalog is terrible)

Creed

Eminem post 8-mile

Kanye West, especially after the college dropout (who is a gay fish)

Edited by justnzane

He can't - he'd miss out all that great Police music. What can possibly be wrong with the Cuervo Gold?

:lol: De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da.

I think Steely Dan's standing is just about right, more a cult band, if anything, they are underrated by the masses.

:lol: De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da.

I think Steely Dan's standing is just about right, more a cult band, if anything, they are underrated by the masses.

From how the story goes... The Police named that song that way on purpose... In order to eff with the person on the radio that has to say the name of the song on the air.

Seriously, you should stop listening to music, then.

Really? No, really. Really?

I mean, rock is rock, man, and Steely Dan AIN'T rock. Please, let me get off the elveator now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzfwtX2kgOA

Edited by Joe In Macungie

Hands down, it's Nirvana

I grew up in the "grunge" era and while I loved the music, I can't believe how dated some of it sounds especially Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

A couple that I forgot:

-Billy Joel: No denying his talent but his music blows...except for Captain Jack.

-The Sex Pistols: I never by in to buy into "contraversial" bands. Hardly what punk should sound like, more like the Limp Bizkit of their time.

-Iron Maiden: Maybe it's me but anything that sounds like it could be the soundtrack for a Dungeon and Dragons game, sucks.

-The Strokes: Is this It is the best album of the but what have they done since...sh*t!

I grew up in the "grunge" era and while I loved the music, I can't believe how dated some of it sounds especially Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

A couple that I forgot:

-Billy Joel: No denying his talent but his music blows...except for Captain Jack.

-The Sex Pistols: I never by in to buy into "contraversial" bands. Hardly what punk should sound like, more like the Limp Bizkit of their time.

-Iron Maiden: Maybe it's me but anything that sounds like it could be the soundtrack for a Dungeon and Dragons game, sucks.

-The Strokes: Is this It is the best album of the but what have they done since...sh*t!

I'm glad you made this exception, because that's a great song. I'm also a sucker for Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.

I don't think anybody will ever try to tell you the Pistols were any good...hell, their bassist couldn't play bass and their singer couldn't sing. Mostly, they're given credit for pioneering/popularizing the punk genre.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I mean, rock is rock, man, and Steely Dan AIN'T rock. Please, let me get off the elveator now!

youtube.com/watch?v=YzfwtX2kgOA

I put in a home theatre in my house last year and when I was picking out speakers the guy at Stereo Advantage was like, "I gotta a Steely Dan" CD, it's the best way to hear a system." I looked at him and said, "There's no point, I hate Steely Dan."

So I handed him the "Dark side of the Moon" CD (which I brought) and told him to crank "The Great gig in the sky."

Not saying they're overrated, just not a fan of stoner-jazz-rock.

Exactly! Most people who hate on Steely Dan do so because they aren't rock. But they AREN'T rock. They shouldn't be judged on a rock standard, or a jazz standard for that matter. Steely Dan is Duke Ellington meets Ray Charles. Steely Dan is modern Cole Porter/Gershwin/Rogers and whoever. But they aren't rock. If you expect/demand rock they won't fill that bill. If you can only listen to/appreciate rock...well, then I feel sorry for you.

Occasionally they include a bit of rock in their tunes, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw843AjJRLg

From how the story goes... The Police named that song that way on purpose... In order to eff with the person on the radio that has to say the name of the song on the air.

So what you're saying is not only does their music suck but they have the maturity of a 12 year old.

Exactly! Most people who hate on Steely Dan do so because they aren't rock. But they AREN'T rock. They shouldn't be judged on a rock standard, or a jazz standard for that matter. Steely Dan is Duke Ellington meets Ray Charles. Steely Dan is modern Cole Porter/Gershwin/Rogers and whoever. But they aren't rock. If you expect/demand rock they won't fill that bill. If you can only listen to/appreciate rock...well, then I feel sorry for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mw843AjJRLg

I used to hate Steely Dan in high school, because the Aja album was so big, and to me that wasn't rock.

But, I've grown to love them, and they've had great songs that I consider rock songs - My Old School, Reelin in the Years, and especially Barrytown...........And, I love Hey, Nineteen. If you're trying to make an example of how band a band is, that is not a good one to use. I don't know if that is rock, but it is soooo good. Listening right now.

I used to hate Steely Dan in high school, because the Aja album was so big, and to me that wasn't rock.

But, I've grown to love them, and they've had great songs that I consider rock songs - My Old School, Reelin in the Years, and especially Barrytown...........And, I love Hey, Nineteen. If you're trying to make an example of how band a band is, that is not a good one to use. I don't know if that is rock, but it is soooo good. Listening right now.

Some albums are seasonal to me, and Aja is a great Fall album. :thumbsup:

Some albums are seasonal to me, and Aja is a great Fall album. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've even gotten to like Aja - and I always did love Deacon Blues off that. I just read up on it on wiki, and this is pretty interesting to me:

The song contains the lines:

They've got a name for the winners in the world

I want a name when I lose

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide

Call me Deacon Blues[1]

The song takes as an image the contrast between the NCAA Division I football champions, Crimson Tide, and the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, who had won only 7 games in the 1972-1975 period. Group member Donald Fagen said, "Walter and I had been working on that song at a house in Malibu. I played him that line, and he said, 'You mean it's like, they call these cracker !@#$s this grandiose name like the Crimson Tide, and I'm this loser, so they call me this other grandiose name, Deacon Blues?' And I said, 'Yeah!' He said, 'Cool! Let's finish it!'"[2]

youtube.com/watch?v=Mw843AjJRLg

great track, original guitar work from Carlton was amazing. they really brought out the best in him. i like how an aging Becker and Fagan are becoming more like the characters they sing about ... LOL.

also, dont see how SD gets mentioned in most over rated ... for starters, although they had some big hits they were still a niche band in a lot ways, and never had the "we're not worthy" status of a U2. given their musicianship versus a U2, if anything they're more worthy of a "most under rated" title.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

great track, original guitar work from Carlton was amazing. they really brought out the best in him. i like how an aging Becker and Fagan are becoming more like the characters they sing about ... LOL.

also, dont see how SD gets mentioned in most over rated ... for starters, although they had some big hits they were still a niche band in a lot ways, and never had the "we're not worthy" status of a U2. given their musicianship versus a U2, if anything they're more worthy of a "most under rated" title.

:lol: you guys are OLD.

Another one overrated to me is Peter Gabriel. Some of the music is OK, but his vocals are pretty weak, all the songs sound the same to me as a result zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Throw in all the clown outfits, and I've never been impressed.

Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Pretty much worthless without Neil.

Stephen Stills is a guitar great. Davis Crosby has a voice of an angel. Graham Nash has a beautiful harmonious voice. Their music is amazing. Better with Neil of course but amazing without him.

You mistook my "King of the Power Ballad" to be a jibe. I could listen to a Seger's greatest hits with a smile on my face for 2 hours. He has a no BS sincerity that either turns you off for it's lack of subtlety or you just enjoy for its honesty (like a good country song).

Honestly, I love his jazz stuff that you'll never hear on radio.

Part of the problem is that the radio stations overkill so many bands as opposed to putting on a variety of bands from major and independent labels. Classic stations tend to rely on some hits on a daily basis while other songs just sit on their media library waiting to be played. Frankly the radio industry has faltered due to the lack of variety as a large enough portion of their base has either downloaded a mixed together what they want to hear, they frequent websites like Pandora, and/or they pay for stations that give much more variety on Sirius/XM

I will say that I find these to be overrated:

Phil Collins

Poison

Audioslave

post Black Album Metallica

Sublime (great hits, rest of catalog is terrible)

Creed

Eminem post 8-mile

Kanye West, especially after the college dropout (who is a gay fish)

Sublime???

You're talking about one of the greatest three man acts of all time. Go listen to that solo from Santaria again and tell me they're overrated.

Another one overrated to me is Peter Gabriel. Some of the music is OK, but his vocals are pretty weak, all the songs sound the same to me as a result zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Throw in all the clown outfits, and I've never been impressed.

Listen to his Album Passion. It's the soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ. If you like Middle Eastern music at all it's pretty good.

R.E.M. is over rated too.

A couple of pop hits that were slightly above the norm, but nonetheless uninspiring, and overall weak albums.

And what's with Stipe's attitude?

He's like "I'm gay and bitter, but I won't confirm I'm gay, just the bitter."

It's like who really cares anyway?

Get over it already, you're the one with the issue.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Sublime???

You're talking about one of the greatest three man acts of all time. Go listen to that solo from Santaria again and tell me they're overrated.

This.

Also, as to the rest of the catalog, listen to "Pawn Shop," "40 oz. to Freedom," "Waiting For My Ruca," and "Same In The End" (probably one of my top 3 Sublime songs).

Stephen Stills is a guitar great. Davis Crosby has a voice of an angel. Graham Nash has a beautiful harmonious voice. Their music is amazing. Better with Neil of course but amazing without him.

Stephen Stills is a great songwriter, too. He is a very inconsistent performer, as he is (or at least was) often way to f'ed up to play.

http://ilike.myspacecdn.com/play#Stephen+Stills:Change+Partners:342909:s29083912.8488433.3402787.0.2.34%2Cstd_423049d31970442fbf215bb86655c343

Crosby and Nash are both very good musicians, songwriters and vocalists. And yes, they were better with Young. Neil is also a terrific musician and he was at his best in CSNY too, IMO.