Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

not to mention nesmith is sometimes considered the father of the music video, and also instrumental in the popularity of hulk hogan

....wow...all these years i thought that video featured a young terry gene bolay(sp)...turns out its Steve Strong

Elephant Parts - Cruisin'

Totally agree on The Kinks. They were so good, and now they are totally forgotten. That live album they put out in around 1980 got totally worn out by me. I saw them in '80, also, and they were great.

As for the Monkees, I would actually say they are underrated because everybody thinks they are a joke. Yet, I love songs like I'm a believer, Last Train to Clarksville, Daydream Believer, etc.

I'm not sure who wrote them, but I do know that Michael Nesmith wrote one of my all time favorite songs - Different Drum, made famous by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies (but I love Susanna Hoffs version, as well.)........Plus, I think it so cool that his mother invented Liquid Paper!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much agree, especially VU. Lou Reed is one of the bigger jerks I have ever met, but man, he has done some incredible stuff over the years. Love the Kinks too, although, some of the 70's opera stuff does not age so well for me. But, Muswell Hillbillies is one of my all-time favorite albums. Good call! :thumbsup:

The Velvets have become much more appreciated in recent years, but man, when you go back and listen to those original albums, it is still a revelation. REM (overrated IMO) really did a lot to open folks eyes to them. I remember hearing "Heroin" for the first time, around 1980, when I was 15. The song just blew me away...I herd it on the Canadian CBC radio station in the wee hours of the morning, during a snow day from school. I wrote the name of the band down, and some of the lyrics, thinking, I gotta go down to Play It Again Sams, and find this record. I asked my older sister if she had ever heard of them...she knew all about them, but told me their records were almost impossible to find. Some junkie, bartender friend of hers had them. I went to Play It Again Sams, no luck. So, I borrowed the records from my sisters friend, and recorded the first three albums on cassette. About 2 or 3 years later, they re-issued them on vinyl, thanks in large part, to REM covering a bunch of their songs, and reviving interest. Great stuff...

Yep, the studio albums were OOP in the late 70's, 1969 Live was the only one available. I ended up getting them as imports, but even though it sounds like a boot, the double live is still my fav.

Love the Kinks too, although, some of the 70's opera stuff does not age so well for me. But, Muswell Hillbillies is one of my all-time favorite albums. Good call! :thumbsup:

"catch me now, i'm falling" is probably my favorite Kinks song. Great vocals.

I remember when you were down

And you needed a helping hand

I came to feed you

But now that I need you you won't give me a second glance.

Same here. Plus I'm just not a big fan of their stuff. But they are good musicians and if I could tolerate Lee's vocals I might come around on the songs.

This is how I used to feel but somewhere along the way my opinion changed and I now find myself listening to Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves all the freakin' time. Both are just brilliant albums Imo. That being said, when you have made 20+ albums a lot of it isn't going to be great - so they do have a lot of mediocre stuff as well.

Very nicely done.

I remember when Bills played Bengals for Conference Champ in Jan-89 the league had a hard on for the Bangles because MTV wanted to promote them in their Super Bowl show or something. Have to wonder if that played into all the crappy calls against Bills, including the mother of all bad calls the face mask on Smitty when he cleanly sacked Esiason and caused a turnover. That was back in the Bud Bowl days ... cant say its all bad it's all in the past

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I remember when Bills played Bengals for Conference Champ in Jan-89 the league had a hard on for the Bangles because MTV wanted to promote them in their Super Bowl show or something. Have to wonder if that played into all the crappy calls against Bills, including the mother of all bad calls the face mask on Smitty when he cleanly sacked Esiason and caused a turnover. That was back in the Bud Bowl days ... cant say its all bad it's all in the past

Welcome to the Jungle Baby!

Hootie and the Blowjobs

They only got a lot of exposure in sports settings because they mentioned the Dolphins.

lol...I remember there was a day really, really early on when I thought Hootie was kind of a cool throwback with blues roots....boy that got shot to sh-- pretty quick

I know this will offend a lot of people, but I'm sorry, it's U2. :oops:

These guys could barely play their instruments on their 1st few albums. :doh:

And how can a greatest band ever claim songs like "Sweetest Thing" and "Mysterious Ways?" :sick:

And come on, Boner wearing dark sunglasses in doors and at night? :flirt:

And "The Edge" with the winter skull cap at all times too? :ph34r:

For this they get treated like royalty? :worthy:

I mean, seriously, no ... :thumbdown:

YES, finally someone with some sense.

ROTTEN PHIN GUTS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>U2

I know these won't be popular choices, but I will go Rush, Steely Dan and the Beach Boys... shame on you Beatle bashers! 0:)

Although I don't hate everything they have ever done, I could also agree with Springsteen and U2...

I must disagree about the Beach Boys.

Beach Boy albums that are absolute gems (in order of briliance):

1. SMiLE (unreleased 60's version, not the crappy re-make)

2. Pet Sounds

3. Today

4. Surfer Girl

5. LIttle Deuce Coup

6. Shut Down vol 2

7. Summer Days (and summer nights)

I don't think The Doors music has held up very well after all these years, not at all.

That's again a personal preference, yet you cannot deny their influence on the post punk and goth movements, which begat all the "cool" bands in the popular vernacular.

Janis Joplin

made she had a decent track here or there (written by someone else I think), but would you really want to suffer thru an entire album or concert of hers? In that case, does she deserve legendary status?

Absolutely. One of the best female blues singers.