Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

Also, as to the rest of the catalog, listen to "Pawn Shop," "40 oz. to Freedom," "Waiting For My Ruca," and "Same In The End" (probably one of my top 3 Sublime songs).

I LOVEEEEE Waiting for my Ruca. Such a chill song with a great bass line.

Sublime was a great band, but their live performances were less than stellar. Many clips I've seen they're too drunk and !@#$ed up to even play anything correctly.

R.E.M. is over rated too.

A couple of pop hits that were slightly above the norm, but nonetheless uninspiring, and overall weak albums.

And what's with Stipe's attitude?

He's like "I'm gay and bitter, but I won't confirm I'm gay, just the bitter."

It's like who really cares anyway?

Get over it already, you're the one with the issue.

They were ridiculously overrated back in the day, but no one cares about them anymore, so I would say currently they are just about right.

They were ridiculously overrated back in the day, but no one cares about them anymore, so I would say currently they are just about right.

I wouldn't say nobody cares about them anymore - they can still sell out the Garden and they still put on a great show. The comment about Stipe's being gay is a little off the mark; he came out a while ago. A little self-righteous sometimes - sure, but being a frontman like that sort of forces your hand.

Perhaps their early catalog is a bit overrated, but I think they tried things that a lot of bands weren't doing before them, and wedded a lot of influences together that set the tone for a whole genre of music. Being in part responsible for that, and shepherding and supporting a lot of good bands as they did, won them a lot of praise. It's also comforting to see a band that was not, at least in a working arrangement, about individual egos. They shared their publishing rights equally, and their writing is really a partnership of all members.

More underrated: Replacements, and in that lineage, Big Star. Mission of Burma.

This thread is totally fascinating to me. Kudos to the OP for such a polarizing topic! Without trying to rehash anything mentioned thus far, I will add...

Green Day

Like a couple of others have suggested, to each his/her own. But I'm really surprised it took 13 pages for Green Day to get mentioned. Not a fan. At all. I am glad to say that my favorite band hasn't been mentioned.

Like a couple of others have suggested, to each his/her own. But I'm really surprised it took 13 pages for Green Day to get mentioned.

Me too (except it's only 7 pages the way I have the board configured).

As for Sublime, they really suck, but are they overrated? I think most know they suck.

Edited by The Dean

Like a couple of others have suggested, to each his/her own. But I'm really surprised it took 13 pages for Green Day to get mentioned. Not a fan. At all. I am glad to say that my favorite band hasn't been mentioned.

Are you sure no one mentioned The Dave Clark Five?

great track, original guitar work from Carlton was amazing. they really brought out the best in him. i like how an aging Becker and Fagan are becoming more like the characters they sing about ... LOL.

also, dont see how SD gets mentioned in most over rated ... for starters, although they had some big hits they were still a niche band in a lot ways, and never had the "we're not worthy" status of a U2. given their musicianship versus a U2, if anything they're more worthy of a "most under rated" title.

In the late 70s, SD were huge, and not a niche band. That song FM was on alllll the friggin time and so was most of Aja.

Another one overrated to me is Peter Gabriel. Some of the music is OK, but his vocals are pretty weak, all the songs sound the same to me as a result zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Throw in all the clown outfits, and I've never been impressed.

I'll see your Peter Gabriel and raise you Phil Collins. I don't think he's been mentioned and I can't tell you how over-rated I think he is. There are some of his album cuts that I really like, but I think Against All Odds may be his only hit that I don't loath.

Sublime???

You're talking about one of the greatest three man acts of all time. Go listen to that solo from Santaria again and tell me they're overrated.

again, outside of their hits, their catalog is freakin awful. Santeria is a great song, but they whiffed more than they took a hit... er made a hit. There is no reason that people are so religious about them to the point, the I'd rather talk to a Marley fanatic over a Sumblime fanatic.

You mistook my "King of the Power Ballad" to be a jibe. I could listen to a Seger's greatest hits with a smile on my face for 2 hours. He has a no BS sincerity that either turns you off for it's lack of subtlety or you just enjoy for its honesty (like a good country song).

Yeah, I believe you replied to Joe, the anti-Seger guy, and when I think of power ballads I think of super sappy horrible songs from 80s metal bands.

Joe, with another comment he made, made it clear he is too young to appreciate this - but I don't think you will find many, if any, people who saw Seger say '76-80 who would say he was over-rated.........You're right - no BS - sincerity and honesty all the way.

This goes back a ways but I have to say the Monkees. They were an artificial band to start with but were manufactured into something with songs others wrote for them and careful advertising and the tv show. I don't think ANY other "band" comes close.

But were they overrated? They had a TV show, so they were overexposed. But i think most everyone new they were a fake band. Didn't they?

You want under-rated? I'll give you under-rated: The Velvet Underground and The Kinks.

Totally agree on The Kinks. They were so good, and now they are totally forgotten. That live album they put out in around 1980 got totally worn out by me. I saw them in '80, also, and they were great.

As for the Monkees, I would actually say they are underrated because everybody thinks they are a joke. Yet, I love songs like I'm a believer, Last Train to Clarksville, Daydream Believer, etc.

I'm not sure who wrote them, but I do know that Michael Nesmith wrote one of my all time favorite songs - Different Drum, made famous by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies (but I love Susanna Hoffs version, as well.)........Plus, I think it so cool that his mother invented Liquid Paper!

You want under-rated? I'll give you under-rated: The Velvet Underground and The Kinks.

cheers to that. I constantly shuffle 33,000 songs. Through the years, I have found that I really dig Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan. Lou Reed has some classic solo stuff too. New York is an incredible album IMO

But were they overrated? They had a TV show, so they were overexposed. But i think most everyone new they were a fake band. Didn't they?

I know..I had to put band in quotes for that reason. Still I think that they fooled a lot of kids who thought they were a real band and went to their concerts. From the interviews of those who gave interviews (Mickey Dolenz and the short guy) they didn't even take the band idea seriously. I think the other two were happy because they never even got a chance to show whatever creativity they actually had. I don't know whether either of them had any cuz I never heard from them afte the monkees.

Totally agree on The Kinks. They were so good, and now they are totally forgotten. That live album they put out in around 1980 got totally worn out by me. I saw them in '80, also, and they were great.

As for the Monkees, I would actually say they are underrated because everybody thinks they are a joke. Yet, I love songs like I'm a believer, Last Train to Clarksville, Daydream Believer, etc.

I'm not sure who wrote them, but I do know that Michael Nesmith wrote one of my all time favorite songs - Different Drum, made famous by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies (but I love Susanna Hoffs version, as well.)........Plus, I think it so cool that his mother invented Liquid Paper!

Agreed on all fronts, especially Different Drum.

Valerie and Going Down are two other great Monkees songs.

I saw Peter Tork play a BBQ festival in RVA last year. He's doing the rounds covering old Monkees tunes and talking about his battle with alcoholism.

Agreed on all fronts, especially Different Drum.

Valerie and Going Down are two other great Monkees songs.

I saw Peter Tork play a BBQ festival in RVA last year. He's doing the rounds covering old Monkees tunes and talking about his battle with alcoholism.

Cool, did you buy him a drink?

I very much agree, especially VU. Lou Reed is one of the bigger jerks I have ever met, but man, he has done some incredible stuff over the years. Love the Kinks too, although, some of the 70's opera stuff does not age so well for me. But, Muswell Hillbillies is one of my all-time favorite albums. Good call! :thumbsup:

The Velvets have become much more appreciated in recent years, but man, when you go back and listen to those original albums, it is still a revelation. REM (overrated IMO) really did a lot to open folks eyes to them. I remember hearing "Heroin" for the first time, around 1980, when I was 15. The song just blew me away...I herd it on the Canadian CBC radio station in the wee hours of the morning, during a snow day from school. I wrote the name of the band down, and some of the lyrics, thinking, I gotta go down to Play It Again Sams, and find this record. I asked my older sister if she had ever heard of them...she knew all about them, but told me their records were almost impossible to find. Some junkie, bartender friend of hers had them. I went to Play It Again Sams, no luck. So, I borrowed the records from my sisters friend, and recorded the first three albums on cassette. About 2 or 3 years later, they re-issued them on vinyl, thanks in large part, to REM covering a bunch of their songs, and reviving interest. Great stuff...

I agree with you on the Kinks. Sleepwalker through State of Confusion are some of the best power pop albums ever released . . .

the Velevet Underground as UNDER-RATED???? One fairly decent album out of 4 and they're in the RNR HOF? Sorry, not under-rated at all.

In fact, they are the poster boys for this thread . . .incredibly, undoubtedly, significantly, incredibly OVERRATED.