Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

Janis Joplin

made she had a decent track here or there (written by someone else I think), but would you really want to suffer thru an entire album or concert of hers? In that case, does she deserve legendary status?

Janis has some amazing pipes. Really. Not many people could do what she did.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jefferson Airplane. Some think they were THE great live band to come out of the SF scene... I've heard shows from the 60's, and just don't get it, the vocals in particular annoy me. The Dead just crush them, & Hot Tuna ended up being soooooo much better IMO.

Jefferson Airplane. Some think they were THE great live band to come out of the SF scene... I've heard shows from the 60's, and just don't get it, the vocals in particular annoy me. The Dead just crush them, & Hot Tuna ended up being soooooo much better IMO.

I don't think there are really that many people that would say the Airplane would outperform the Dead live. Regardless the 60's music scene in SF must have been amazing. I've hired a couple of old timers here that were part of it. The stories they tell make me really wish I was older and from here. I could imagine going to see bands like The Dead, Airplane, Santana, Moby Grape while in high school. I was stuck with rooster Robin, Julius, Talas, Buffalo Road Show, Duke Jupiter of the 70's. :cry:

I don't think there are really that many people that would say the Airplane would outperform the Dead live. Regardless the 60's music scene in SF must have been amazing. I've hired a couple of old timers here that were part of it. The stories they tell make me really wish I was older and from here. I could imagine going to see bands like The Dead, Airplane, Santana, Moby Grape while in high school. I was stuck with rooster Robin, Julius, Talas, Buffalo Road Show, Duke Jupiter of the 70's. :cry:

Speaking of which, sometimes I think Carlos is over rated too. A lot of his solos and music sounds the same, and it can be fairly dull.

Speaking of which, sometimes I think Carlos is over rated too. A lot of his solos and music sounds the same, and it can be fairly dull.

I'm really trying not to get into a musica pissing match but this is about the most over rated band. Santana as a band was not over rated. And I don't really think Carlos is/was as a guitar player.

One of the best live

acts in the 60's. Probably the best performance at Woodstock. I heard an interview with Carlos and he said he dropped acid right before the performance and wished he never had. He said during his solo in Soul Sacrifice the guitar neck felt like it was made of rubber.

Edited by Chef Jim

The strangest concert I ever went to was Jefferson Starship (or maybe just Starship at that point) at the Erie Co. Fair in 1988......When it started, it was daylight and everybody was sitting in their seats and it was like it was a 5th grade recital. Then, when it got dark, and I guess everybody got tanked, it was like it was The Beatles at Shea Stadium. I started out with front row seats and now there was a ton of people between my seats and the stage and it was just crazy.

Sometimes I wonder if that really happened.

The strangest concert I ever went to was Jefferson Starship (or maybe just Starship at that point) at the Erie Co. Fair in 1988......When it started, it was daylight and everybody was sitting in their seats and it was like it was a 5th grade recital. Then, when it got dark, and I guess everybody got tanked, it was like it was The Beatles at Shea Stadium. I started out with front row seats and now there was a ton of people between my seats and the stage and it was just crazy.

Sometimes I wonder if that really happened.

Stay.....away.....from.....the....brown.....acid.

I know..I had to put band in quotes for that reason. Still I think that they fooled a lot of kids who thought they were a real band and went to their concerts. From the interviews of those who gave interviews (Mickey Dolenz and the short guy) they didn't even take the band idea seriously. I think the other two were happy because they never even got a chance to show whatever creativity they actually had. I don't know whether either of them had any cuz I never heard from them afte the monkees.

The short guy was Davy Jones, the other two were Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork. ;-)

Nesmith was a musican before and after the Monkees, although not "famous".

A few years ago. Peter Tork played at a free concert in Ocean City, MD in a band called the Shoe Suede Blues. They were BAD, especially on a pseudo blues version of Last Train to Clarkesville! LOL

Janis Joplin

made she had a decent track here or there (written by someone else I think), but would you really want to suffer thru an entire album or concert of hers? In that case, does she deserve legendary status?

I have a few albums of Big Brother and the Holding Company (featuring Janis Joplin) that are incredible.

Pearl was the album featuring "Mercedes Benz" with the Full Tilt Boogie. That album also covered "Half Moon" by John Hall of Orleans.

I would have loved to see/hear her perform.

I have a few albums of Big Brother and the Holding Company (featuring Janis Joplin) that are incredible.

Pearl was the album featuring "Mercedes Benz" with the Full Tilt Boogie. That album also covered "Half Moon" by John Hall of Orleans.

I would have loved to see/hear her perform.

Wow, interesting life John Hall has led:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hall_%28U.S._politician%29

Well, maybe after Thick as a Brick. But before then? Wow.

IMO Tull peaked with Aqualung, but This Was Jetro Tull, Stand Up, and a few cuts from Benefit were brilliant.

Starting with Thick as a Brick, it was really Ian Anderson, not Jethro Tull anymore.

Wow, interesting life John Hall has led:

http://en.wikipedia....._politician%29

He did some fantastic work with Taj Mahal.

The short guy was Davy Jones, the other two were Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork. ;-)

A few years ago. Peter Tork played at a free concert in Ocean City, MD in a band called the Shoe Suede Blues. They were BAD, especially on a pseudo blues version of Last Train to Clarkesville! LOL

Nesmith and Tork were both musicians before The Monkees. Tork was a multi-instrumentalist and friend of Stephen Stills, I believe. Nesmith of course, turned out to be pretty talented on many different fronts.

Neither Dolenz nor Davey Jones were musicians before the Monkees. But supposedly Jones could play drums a bit (he didn't play for The Monkees) and Dolenz had a pretty good voice.

I think of Davey Jones as basically the same as Justin Beiber (however you spell it). Not a musician, but made famous because he looked good and had an acceptable voice. The girls love him, or so they say.

10 pages and I don't think anyone has mentioned The Police. :sick:

This one I agree with, wholeheartedly.

To tie two bands together, but can't help but think that Prince of the Punks was written about Gordon Sumner

10 pages and I don't think anyone has mentioned The Police. :sick:

Or Talking Heads.

(Here it comes...)

Van Halen with Sammy Hagar was HIGHLY over rated.

Just as they were with Ms. Roth on vocals.

Just a bit of trivia here. Mike Nesmith's mother invented liquid paper.

Nesmith and Tork were both musicians before The Monkees. Tork was a multi-instrumentalist and friend of Stephen Stills, I believe. Nesmith of course, turned out to be pretty talented on many different fronts.

Neither Dolenz nor Davey Jones were musicians before the Monkees. But supposedly Jones could play drums a bit (he didn't play for The Monkees) and Dolenz had a pretty good voice.

I think of Davey Jones as basically the same as Justin Beiber (however you spell it). Not a musician, but made famous because he looked good and had an acceptable voice. The girls love him, or so they say.

Davey Jones was the reason we have David Bowie. Bowie's real name is David Jones and had to change it as he got famous.

Zowie Bowie, his son,now 39, goes by his given name of Duncan Jones. He is getting notice as a director and won several British film awards.

Did a "cheesiest songs" themed radio show today, and came across "Africa" by Toto and "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. Both songs were #1 hits, and I can't believe neither band has been mentioned here yet.

Did a "cheesiest songs" themed radio show today, and came across "Africa" by Toto and "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. Both songs were #1 hits, and I can't believe neither band has been mentioned here yet.

To be "over"rated, you need at least some people to hold you up as amazing, awesome, or greatest.

Toto and REO Speedwagon won't be in that club. They were in and out of the top slot--REO lasted longer but still, no one would ever say they were great. Just a short-lived pop rock thing.

Did you get around to playing that song that goes "You're the best...around! Never gonna let 'em keep ya down..."

That's in the top 10 cheesiest of all time. It does make for a very effective montage however.

To be "over"rated, you need at least some people to hold you up as amazing, awesome, or greatest.

Toto and REO Speedwagon won't be in that club. They were in and out of the top slot--REO lasted longer but still, no one would ever say they were great. Just a short-lived pop rock thing.

A bunch of people thought those songs were great (as shown by reaching #1), and they clearly aren't. So are the songs overrated, rather than the bands themselves?

Did you get around to playing that song that goes "You're the best...around! Never gonna let 'em keep ya down..."

That's in the top 10 cheesiest of all time. It does make for a very effective montage however.

Sure did :D

Toto was overrated, I think. It was easy to overrate them. Jeff Porcaro was a fabulous drummer who played with a wide variety of first rate musicians. If you just listen to many of Toto's songs (let's put aside such travesties as Africa or Rosanna) without the lyrics, you might say, "These guys can play. This is well composed, and relatively sophisticated music." You might say that.

But after listening to their juvenile lyrics, and suffering through their unbearable hits, you'd quickly notice they make dreck, in very fancy clothing.

Since I think very few take the time to actually listen, carefully, to music, I think many think they are/were a good band.

Toto was overrated, I think. It was easy to overrate them. Jeff Porcaro was a fabulous drummer who played with a wide variety of first rate musicians. If you just listen to many of Toto's songs (let's put aside such travesties as Africa or Rosanna) without the lyrics, you might say, "These guys can play. This is well composed, and relatively sophisticated music." You might say that.

But after listening to their juvenile lyrics, and suffering through their unbearable hits, you'd quickly notice they make dreck, in very fancy clothing.

Since I think very few take the time to actually listen, carefully, to music, I think many think they are/were a good band.

I don't know anybody who thinks they're good or great.......At least I hope I don't!.......They were good session musicians who should have stayed that.

It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you,

There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do.

:lol::lol: :lol:

It's so awful. Sounds like a love poem I'd write at 10 years old.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had to relay this to a co-worker.

I read this to my co-worker (around the same age as you too) who loves Toto and annoys the piss out of me with Africa and Rosanna on Youtube... You know what he said about your post:

"What? Just because your girlfriend named Rosanna out of South Africa dumped your ass back in 1982-83, that is no reason to hate on the band."

:doh:

Gee Dean... I shouldn't have opened my fat trap... Now I am being subjected to non-stop Poco, Crazy love!

:wallbash: :wallbash: