Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew this thread was going to turn into a music pissing match. I kind of look at music like wine. You drink what you like and if others don't like it, hey all the more for you. Music is typically written to be enjoyed by those who like it and for them it typically makes them feel good, whether it's me sitting, relaxing and listening to Vivaldi or reliving my teenage angst and banging my head to The Who. Both of which by many (and even some here) can be considered overrated. What does that even mean, well I guess that means the person that considered them overrated didn't like them. Ok, fine but don't ever let me catch you drinking white zinfandel. :D

I agree. Arguing over music is pointless. It's whatever makes you feel good at the time. Last night while doing dinner I think we listened to Juanes(Columbian), then New Found Glory, English Beat and Authority Zero. All different and I bet there is no problem finding people in this thread that think either all or some of those bands suck. Just like I think hip hop and rap suck. Who cares?

You can still get 190 proof :thumbsup:

Not in Florida, to the best of my knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_%28alcohol%29

Excerpt:

190-proof

It is illegal to sell the 190-proof variety in some states of the United States, namely California, Florida,[3] Hawaii, Iowa,[4] Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,[5] Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania,Virginia, and Washington.

Everclear 190 is legally sold in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho,[6] Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon,[7] Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, and in some military stores within the continental United States.

[edit] 151-proof

The 151-proof variety is legally sold in California, Florida, Iowa,[4] Michigan,[8] Minnesota, Nevada, North Dakota, Washington, West Virginia, and some other states.

I have purchased "Pet Sounds" in about three different formats over the years, because it is one of those albums I have been told I should love...I can't stand it...I will give the Beach Boys their props, they have been very influential...but most of the stuff that is influenced by them, I am not so fond of. I think music history has been far kinder to them than they warrant. The Beatles and Beach Boys "competed" (if you must) for a second, but the Beatles grew beyond them..."Paperback Writer" was the best Beach Boys song ever written...except it was written by Paul McCartney, and performed by the Beatles. If I hear "Good Vibrations" or say, "Help Me Rhonda", I kind of think, "okay..." but if I hear more than a song or two, I want to rip the speakers off the wall...

If you want to get really technical, the Beach Boys were ripping their **** off Chuck Berry, almost word for word, note for note

Good call...I will always have a soft spot for "Riders On the Storm" (just a cool sounding song), and I love the song "Moonlight Drive"...but in the end, the lyrics are mostly silly, bordering on bad poetry, and kind of muzak-y.

BTW- almost every band that I think is overrated, I am willing to concede, has some respectable material...except Rush! :devil:

You have no context when it comes to music, do you?

I like the hits on Pet Sounds a lot, don't really care for the filler (and yes, it IS filler). I like early Rush back when they rocked and Geddy wailed, got no use for anything after Permanent Waves (well, maybe part of Moving Pictures, but that in itself is overrated and the beginning of the end of the band for me). The absolute worst for me though of anyone who is highly considered by some would be David Bromberg, he is just unlistenable to me.

It is impossible to overrate the greatness of U2, Springsteen or The Who - all of whom have been mentioned on here. I don't think you will get many music critics who will agree with you on that one - surely, not Jeff Miers, who is as good as they get (Buffalo News).

The pity is they dropped ever clear to 151 from 199 proof. I can't get a buzz on the near beer stuff :thumbdown:

The highest proof of drinkable alcohol you can make is 190 proof (95%). To get higher you have to add benzene to get rid of the 5% water. It is not potable then.

Kiss

Rush

Styx

There's three that come to mind as far as musical mediocrity is concerned....

Whatever your opinion of their music, to deny the technical brilliance of the members of Rush can only be a result of bias or ignorance. All 3 are regarded as the very top of their craft.

Whatever your opinion of their music, to deny the technical brilliance of the members of Rush can only be a result of bias or ignorance. All 3 are regarded as the very top of their craft.

I've always like their music but Geddy's voice has always irritated me from the first time I heard them in the mid 70's.

I've always like their music but Geddy's voice has always irritated me from the first time I heard them in the mid 70's.

Same here. Plus I'm just not a big fan of their stuff. But they are good musicians and if I could tolerate Lee's vocals I might come around on the songs.

Same here. Plus I'm just not a big fan of their stuff. But they are good musicians and if I could tolerate Lee's vocals I might come around on the songs.

I agree completely. There are only a few songs of theirs that I really love. Most I do not like. But, I agree with Jay - that they are not overrated - because I know they are great musicians.

As for Styx - are they really overrated - I thought everybody agreed that they suck!

I agree completely. There are only a few songs of theirs that I really love. Most I do not like. But, I agree with Jay - that they are not overrated - because I know they are great musicians.

As for Styx - are they really overrated - I thought everybody agreed that they suck!

Yeah, Styx is pretty much the ultimate guilty pleasure band.

On a more positive note, a band that I'm REALLY getting into lately is Everclear (since you guys were talking about it anyway). They've put together an eclectic mix of music over the years, and it's all really fun.

Here's my favorite...deep cut off their 2009 album In a Different Light. Takes a little bit to build, but the last 1:30 is spectacular.

'Nother

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Well, clearly this thread has gone the way of so many others. It reminds me a bit of the Beautiful Women thread that simply became "Post any picture of any woman" thread (mostly thanks to Rfeynman's poor taste, or course).

I think this thread had a pretty solid foundation, and I use the immediate responses as evidence. The OP suggested U2 was the most overrated band of all time. He rightly (IMO) claimed "they get treated like royalty".

Now the thread has turned into "artists you don't like" and/or "defending the artists that have been named by others" (a rather natural progression, as Chef has already pointed out).

I'd like to, for a moment, return to the roots of this thread. Even if you don't dislike U2 (and even if you think they are a good band), do you really believe they aren't overrated? Do you honestly think they are "the best band in the world", as Bono has so humbly asserted? (I believe he said they were "Reapplying to be the best band in the world", but that's not how it gets used and reported...further evidence of the overrating.) Best band in the world? Really?

I guess some are convinced Bono's constant preening, on and off stage, and the band's willingness to pander to their audiences has earned them some very high seat at the world's musical alter. To me, they are the very epitome of "overrated".

Well, clearly this thread has gone the way of so many others. It reminds me a bit of the Beautiful Women thread that simply became "Post any picture of any woman" thread (mostly thanks to Rfeynman's poor taste, or course).

I think this thread had a pretty solid foundation, and I use the immediate responses as evidence. The OP suggested U2 was the most overrated band of all time. He rightly (IMO) claimed "they get treated like royalty".

Now the thread has turned into "artists you don't like" and/or "defending the artists that have been named by others" (a rather natural progression, as Chef has already pointed out).

I'd like to, for a moment, return to the roots of this thread. Even if you don't dislike U2 (and even if you think they are a good band), do you really believe they aren't overrated? Do you honestly think they are "the best band in the world", as Bono has so humbly asserted? (I believe he said they were "Reapplying to be the best band in the world", but that's not how it gets used and reported...further evidence of the overrating.) Best band in the world? Really?

I guess some are convinced Bono's constant preening, on and off stage, and the band's willingness to pander to their audiences has earned them some very high seat at the world's musical alter. To me, they are the very epitome of "overrated".

To be fair, the net result of Bono's sanctimonious preening is that a lot of people in unfortunate situations have been helped. His possible self-aggrandizing motives aside, he's done a lot more for the world than most of us could ever dream of doing. Just figured somebody ought to point that out.

To be fair, the net result of Bono's sanctimonious preening is that a lot of people in unfortunate situations have been helped. His possible self-aggrandizing motives aside, he's done a lot more for the world than most of us could ever dream of doing. Just figured somebody ought to point that out.

Yes, he does a lot of good philanthropic work, to be sure. He manages to come off as insufferable and self-involved while doing it. But at least he does it. Maybe if he took off the stupid sun glasses he'd seem more genuine.

Some of the bands/artists mentioned (in fact, probably all) have had their moments, but the fact that they continue to put out records, long after their creative peak has passed, is what puts them in the overrated column, for me. For instance, I really loved the first three U2 albums growing up, and then, "Joshua Tree" (which I liked at the time) happened, and they were launched, really through no fault of their own, into the ledgers of overrated. I have never liked anything since. I really like some Springsteen stuff, and other, not so much. I listen to Neal Young, and sometimes, I think he is one of the all-time greats, but then, I will hear something else from him, and think, "how could he do this?" A lot of these artists, for lack of better term, grow up in public. Of course they are going to have highs and lows.

I am about as big a Rolling Stones fan as there is, and I can admit, they haven't done anything really great since about 1981...does the last 30 years of their career negate the amazing first 20 years? Not for me, but, I am sure it would for many. As many have already said, it is subjective. I hate the Beach Boys, others, list them as one of their favorites. We can both be right! Except when it comes to the Beatles. Writing them off as nothing but "bubblegum" is, well...just stupid! And Rush just sucks! :rolleyes:

Some of the bands/artists mentioned (in fact, probably all) have had their moments, but the fact that they continue to put out records, long after their creative peak has passed, is what puts them in the overrated column, for me. For instance, I really loved the first three U2 albums growing up, and then, "Joshua Tree" (which I liked at the time) happened, and they were launched, really through no fault of their own, into the ledgers of overrated. I have never liked anything since. I really like some Springsteen stuff, and other, not so much. I listen to Neal Young, and sometimes, I think he is one of the all-time greats, but then, I will hear something else from him, and think, "how could he do this?" A lot of these artists, for lack of better term, grow up in public. Of course they are going to have highs and lows.

I am about as big a Rolling Stones fan as there is, and I can admit, they haven't done anything really great since about 1981...does the last 30 years of their career negate the amazing first 20 years? Not for me, but, I am sure it would for many. As many have already said, it is subjective. I hate the Beach Boys, others, list them as one of their favorites. We can both be right! Except when it comes to the Beatles. Writing them off as nothing but "bubblegum" is, well...just stupid! And Rush just sucks! :rolleyes:

Rolling Stones = not overrated

Vegas Stones = extremely overrated

and don't forget the incredibly lame Blondie Chaplin was a Beach Boy.

My favorite U2 album is actually their second last - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The one before that was almost as good. (I'm not quite as high on their last one).

They are the only band in the world that can still out a stadium by themselves (I just watched a video from Athens the other night with 100,000 people at Olympic Stadium - stunning). They've been the biggest band in the world for about 25 years and one of the biggest for thirty years.

I love the Stones, too, but as was pointed out, really they haven't been relevant since Tattoo You in '81.

Although I may be a bigger Springsteen, Stones, and Who fan, I think there are only two bands in the argument for who is the biggest/most important band of all time - U2 and The Beatles.

Although I may be a bigger Springsteen, Stones, and Who fan, I think there are only two bands in the argument for who is the biggest/most important band of all time - U2 and The Beatles.

U2 is popular, I'll give ya that. But, important? How, pray tell, are they musically important?

I think you are doing a great job supporting the OP's point.

From msnbc:

Ireland’s U2 is the most important and influential band of the post-punk era, joining ringing guitar rock, punkish independence, Celtic spirituality, innovative production techniques and electronic experimentalism — all held together by singer/lyricist Bono’s transcendent vision and charisma.

U2 — Bono (Paul Hewson), guitarist the Edge (Dave Evans), bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen — formed in Dublin in 1976 as a Beatles and Stones cover band while the players were all still in high school. In 1980 they were signed to Island Records and released their spectacular first album, “Boy,” produced by Steve Lillywhite.

Image: The Edge, Bono

Mike Hutchings / Reuters file

U2, with guitarist the Edge and lead singer Bono, is now a mature, confident, still amazing band that knows it doesn’t have all the answers, but isn’t afraid to keep asking the right questions.

The band’s sparkling, radiant sound jumped from the grooves from the first note of “I Will Follow” and rode Mullen’s massive drums and the Edge’s angular, careening guitar into history. Neither “Boy” nor its follow-up “October” (with the glorious “Gloria”) tore up the charts at the time (though both are now platinum), but “War” — passionate, martial “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” melodic wailing “New Year’s Day,” and the fierce, new wavy love song “Two Hearts Beat As One”—turned U2 into a worldwide phenomenon in 1983.

In preparation for 1984’s “The Unforgettable Fire,” producer Brian Eno had a long conversation with Bono, as he later told Q Magazine. “I said, ‘Look, if I work with you, I will want to change lots of things you do, because I’m not interested in records as a document of a rock band playing on stage, I’m more interested in painting pictures. I want to create a landscape within which this music happens.’ And Bono said, ‘Exactly, that’s what we want too.’”

The results of this fateful change of direction were Eno productions of U2 standards “The Unforgettable Fire” (including “Bad,” “Pride In the Name of Love”); Grammy’s 1987 Album of the Year, the personal yet universal “The Joshua Tree,” which made the band superstars (with “Where the Streets Have No Name,” “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” “With Or Without You” and “One Tree Hill”); 1991's “Achtung Baby,” a brilliant and emotionally dark move toward electronica (“Even Better Than the Real Thing,” “One,” “Until the End of the World,” “Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses” and “Mysterious Ways”); and “Zooropa,” deeper still into Euro-dance music and electronics (‘93, with the title track, “Numb,” “Lemon,” “Stay”). Wow, what a journey.

U2 was the leading rock band of the '80s because its members, like perhaps only Bruce Springsteen in the U.S., still believed that rock ‘n’ roll could save the world, and they had the talent to make that notion not seem hopelessly naive.

This earnestness and willingness to shoulder the heaviest of responsibilities led to soaring heights of achievement and escalating psychic and artistic demands that eventually led the band to adopt irony as its basic means of expression for a time in the '90s.

All bands want to be cool, and in the '80s U2 almost single-handedly made earnestness cool, but it was hard, relentless work. After the gritty, chunky guitars-and-idealism of the '80s, the '90s saw the diaphanous chill of electronics-and-irony, which was literally and metaphorically cool, but ultimately not what the band is about.

“All That You Can’t Leave Behind” (‘00) returned to what the band is about, and is the sonic and spiritual follow up to the “The Joshua Tree,” the band’s most idealistic, spiritual and melodically consistent album.

Remnants of the band’s forays into electronics seasoned the album (especially the impressionistic “New York”), but the Edge’s guitar returned to center stage where his unique, chiming style belongs, though it never upstages the songs, every one of which is blessed with a memorable tune.

Following the ecstatic release of the opening track “Beautiful Day,” the second song “Stuck In a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of,” states a seemingly modest but deeply profound, earnest and idealistic notion:

“I’m just trying to find a decent melody

A song I can sing in my own company”

Advertisement | ad info

They have found it and then some. U2 is now a mature, confident, still amazing band that knows it doesn’t have all the answers, but isn’t afraid to keep asking the right questions

From msnbc:

Ireland's U2 is the most important and influential band of the post-punk era, joining ringing guitar rock, punkish independence, Celtic spirituality, innovative production techniques and electronic experimentalism — all held together by singer/lyricist Bono's transcendent vision and charisma.

U2 — Bono (Paul Hewson), guitarist the Edge (Dave Evans), bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen — formed in Dublin in 1976 as a Beatles and Stones cover band while the players were all still in high school. In 1980 they were signed to Island Records and released their spectacular first album, "Boy," produced by Steve Lillywhite.

Image: The Edge, Bono

Mike Hutchings / Reuters file

U2, with guitarist the Edge and lead singer Bono, is now a mature, confident, still amazing band that knows it doesn't have all the answers, but isn't afraid to keep asking the right questions.

The band's sparkling, radiant sound jumped from the grooves from the first note of "I Will Follow" and rode Mullen's massive drums and the Edge's angular, careening guitar into history. Neither "Boy" nor its follow-up "October" (with the glorious "Gloria") tore up the charts at the time (though both are now platinum), but "War" — passionate, martial "Sunday Bloody Sunday," melodic wailing "New Year's Day," and the fierce, new wavy love song "Two Hearts Beat As One"—turned U2 into a worldwide phenomenon in 1983.

In preparation for 1984's "The Unforgettable Fire," producer Brian Eno had a long conversation with Bono, as he later told Q Magazine. "I said, 'Look, if I work with you, I will want to change lots of things you do, because I'm not interested in records as a document of a rock band playing on stage, I'm more interested in painting pictures. I want to create a landscape within which this music happens.' And Bono said, 'Exactly, that's what we want too.'"

The results of this fateful change of direction were Eno productions of U2 standards "The Unforgettable Fire" (including "Bad," "Pride In the Name of Love"); Grammy's 1987 Album of the Year, the personal yet universal "The Joshua Tree," which made the band superstars (with "Where the Streets Have No Name," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," "With Or Without You" and "One Tree Hill"); 1991's "Achtung Baby," a brilliant and emotionally dark move toward electronica ("Even Better Than the Real Thing," "One," "Until the End of the World," "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" and "Mysterious Ways"); and "Zooropa," deeper still into Euro-dance music and electronics ('93, with the title track, "Numb," "Lemon," "Stay"). Wow, what a journey.

U2 was the leading rock band of the '80s because its members, like perhaps only Bruce Springsteen in the U.S., still believed that rock 'n' roll could save the world, and they had the talent to make that notion not seem hopelessly naive.

This earnestness and willingness to shoulder the heaviest of responsibilities led to soaring heights of achievement and escalating psychic and artistic demands that eventually led the band to adopt irony as its basic means of expression for a time in the '90s.

All bands want to be cool, and in the '80s U2 almost single-handedly made earnestness cool, but it was hard, relentless work. After the gritty, chunky guitars-and-idealism of the '80s, the '90s saw the diaphanous chill of electronics-and-irony, which was literally and metaphorically cool, but ultimately not what the band is about.

"All That You Can't Leave Behind" ('00) returned to what the band is about, and is the sonic and spiritual follow up to the "The Joshua Tree," the band's most idealistic, spiritual and melodically consistent album.

Remnants of the band's forays into electronics seasoned the album (especially the impressionistic "New York"), but the Edge's guitar returned to center stage where his unique, chiming style belongs, though it never upstages the songs, every one of which is blessed with a memorable tune.

Following the ecstatic release of the opening track "Beautiful Day," the second song "Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," states a seemingly modest but deeply profound, earnest and idealistic notion:

"I'm just trying to find a decent melody

A song I can sing in my own company"

Advertisement | ad info

They have found it and then some. U2 is now a mature, confident, still amazing band that knows it doesn't have all the answers, but isn't afraid to keep asking the right questions

Copying and pasting whole articles or large portions of articles is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you want to reference an article published elsewhere, please provide a link (a short piece of relevant text is ok to include) and then provide your commentary. Thank you for your cooperation.

I concur with: U2, Springsteen, Kiss, and The Who, all of whom were previously mentioned as being overrated. However, although Bruce Springsteen shouldn't really be considered a "band" (Which leads me to my next point), he is probably my least favorite artist of all time.

I completely agree with this, which is why I believe that it's crazy to include Rush on this list. I also think it's equally as crazy to include Dave Matthews Band. Some people might not like Dave himself, but to say that Dave Matthews Band as a band in general is overrated is damn near inconceivable, IMO. Carter Beauford on drums, Boyd Tinsley on violin, and LeRoi Moore on sax (RIP) were all considered among the most talented at their respective instruments for many, many years. Beauford and Tinsley still are. If you don't like Dave Matthews himself, that's fine, but you can't discredit the entire band because of that. Dave is a damn good guitar player, lyricist, and performer himself, IMO.

I concur with: U2, Springsteen, Kiss, and The Who, all of whom were previously mentioned as being overrated. However, although Bruce Springsteen shouldn't really be considered a "band" (Which leads me to my next point), he is probably my least favorite artist of all time.

I completely agree with this, which is why I believe that it's crazy to include Rush on this list. I also think it's equally as crazy to include Dave Matthews Band. Some people might not like Dave himself, but to say that Dave Matthews Band as a band in general is overrated is damn near inconceivable, IMO. Carter Beauford on drums, Boyd Tinsley on violin, and LeRoi Moore on sax (RIP) were all considered among the most talented at their respective instruments for many, many years. Beauford and Tinsley still are. If you don't like Dave Matthews himself, that's fine, but you can't discredit the entire band because of that. Dave is a damn good guitar player, lyricist, and performer himself, IMO.

Funny, but that's exactly what I think about Springsteen, U2 and The Who.

Techical proficiency has nothing to do with good music...

And, since I already threw his name out there, I would have to say the most overrated is Jimmy Buffett. How he has a whole following of people traveling to see him, I have no idea.......He seems to have hit on one theme - drinking in the tropics, and made a career out of it.

Techical proficiency has nothing to do with good music...

Not always, but it definitely translates IMO. You can't gain a true appreciation of this off a studio album, listen to a good live album or go see a Dave Matthews Band concert personally, and I have a feeling you wouldn't be disappointed at all with the quality of the band as a whole.