Should we be concerned that Maybin is a bust?

Well, it's not like he was a star player that had an all-pro career cut short by injury. It hurts from the standpoint of further hindering the rebuilding process at OBD. But yes, he's too lanky and weak to be an effective player in the NFL. He's probably the biggest bust of the decade for the Bills. At least Mike Williams played.

Well, it's not like he was a star player that had an all-pro career cut short by injury. It hurts from the standpoint of further hindering the rebuilding process at OBD. But yes, he's too lanky and weak to be an effective player in the NFL. He's probably the biggest bust of the decade for the Bills. At least Mike Williams played.

I sure hope you're wrong, but if he can't beat out Torbor.......

He's only 22. I haven't givin up..... yet. He'll still see the field, buffalorumblings.com speculated he would rotate in and out on a rather frequent basis. He'll be eased into it and there will be patience so long as he shows at least some improvement. He's got talent and ability, he just needs good coaching of the fundamentals and an understanding of schemes and plays.

It is looking like Torbor will start ahead of Maybin. Considering where Maybin was drafted, shouldn't he be good enough to start on this team? Should we be concerned that he might be a bust? I do know it's early but at what point does Maybin own this label?

Just curious as to where you got the info that Torbor is outperforming Maybin in training camp...

It is looking like Torbor will start ahead of Maybin. Considering where Maybin was drafted, shouldn't he be good enough to start on this team? Should we be concerned that he might be a bust? I do know it's early but at what point does Maybin own this label?

It's way too early to be calling maybin a bust in my opinion. The kid is young. There's no doubt the Bills shouldn't have picked him when they did, or even at all. In fact, thats the only thing I think I can recall that this board doesn't disagree on. But I say give him one more full year of playing and learning and we should have a good idea by then.

He's only 22. I haven't givin up..... yet. He'll still see the field, buffalorumblings.com speculated he would rotate in and out on a rather frequent basis. He'll be eased into it and there will be patience so long as he shows at least some improvement. He's got talent and ability, he just needs good coaching of the fundamentals and an understanding of schemes and plays.

What talent and ability? He can't shed a block, gets blown off the line of scrimmage, and is built like a WR. If not for his draft status, he wouldn't even be on the team.

Bad: Early signs on Maybin are not encouraging.

Good: Maybin is way too young to call a bust.

Bad: He may end up being a one-trick pony.

Good: Derrick Thomas was a one-trick pony (no counter move, pure speed rusher who bent the edge so well, his lack of a counter move didn't matter).

Bad: Maybin may only be a situational pass rusher.

Good: He could still easily attain double digit sacks which would be a significant contribution to any team.

Summary: Maybin's "starting blocks explosion" and long body will give opponents fits…especially during home games when crowd noise is a factor.

Why does everyone think he is 230lbs? Shawn Nelson is 240lbs and looks smaller than Maybin. Trent Edwards is 231lbs.

Why do people think its impossible for Maybin to be 245lbs?

not impossible, just unlikely. he always looks small on the field. he's officially listed at 250 which i highly doubt.

Why does everyone think he is 230lbs? Shawn Nelson is 240lbs and looks smaller than Maybin. Trent Edwards is 231lbs.

We should be engaged in conversations about his ability, not his weight.

Bottom line, regardless of whatever published numbers you want to believe, the guy is small-boned.

Have you seen Beerball's avatar? It's a picture of a shirtless Aaron Maybin standing next to a shirtless Vernon Davis.

Davis is listed at 6'3" and 253 pounds. Maybin appears to be a child, standing next to Davis.

Maybin may bulk up, but his bones are small. Some people who saw him at training camp last year said he looked no bigger than Terrell Owens.

I wouldn't get hung up on his size, one way or the other.

I just hope he can get us ten sacks this year.

We should be engaged in conversations about his ability, not his weight.

Bottom line, regardless of whatever published numbers you want to believe, the guy is small-boned.

Have you seen Beerball's avatar? It's a picture of a shirtless Aaron Maybin standing next to a shirtless Vernon Davis.

Davis is listed at 6'3" and 253 pounds. Maybin appears to be a child, standing next to Davis.

Maybin may bulk up, but his bones are small. People who saw him at training camp last year said he looked no bigger than Terrell Owens.

I wouldn't get hung up on his size, one way or the other.

I just hope he can get us ten sacks this year.

Well weight has to do with ability. He can be a weight room freak and be incredibly quick but playhing at 230-245lbs as an OLB in a 3-4 defense is pretty hard to do.

Look at the sack leaders in the NFL and tell me how many play at that weight....... the point is that he ability is affected by being so light. OTs can swat him away easier....and they have.

Maybin is in year two , rookie year the team was too fubar to judge his nfl talent. The kid says all the right things and seems to really want to be great, and puts in the work . Lets watch his back for now , there will be plenty of time to run him out of town .

not impossible, just unlikely. he always looks small on the field. he's officially listed at 250 which i highly doubt.

Roger Huerta = 5'9", 155 lbs.

Former Falcons LB Rashad Bobino = 5'11", 238 lbs.

Result?

In a phone conversation just moments ago, Huerta told us he tried to remain calm early Saturday morning when he watched some random "huge guy" punch a girl in the head in the middle of the street ... explaining, “I just don’t think that it's right to hit a woman. Period.”

Huerta tells us, "I approached the man calmly and said, “Do you know what you just did? You just knocked out this girl."

But Huerta claims the other guy responded, "F*ck you, f*ck these bitches, I'll knock out any f*ckin' B word that I wanna f*ckin' knock out, I’ll knock your f*cking B word ass out.”

Huerta added, "... and as he's saying this, he's taking off his shirt ... and at that point I was like, alright.'"

Huerta insists that he didn't throw the first punch -- and only reacted when the other guy "started swinging at me" ... and we all know what happened next.

link

What does size have to do with anything?

If Maybin is/was going to be an effective NFL player, wouldn't he be flying around the field making the most of whatever opportunities he had?

While he may mature somewhat in terms of skill sets and experiences in the next year or two, isn't it safe to say that he possesses all the "heart" he'll ever have in terms of making the commitments and sacrifices needed to play at the NFL level?

I don't think it is too early to say he isn't going to deliver what the Bills sought when they drafted him.

What talent and ability? He can't shed a block, gets blown off the line of scrimmage, and is built like a WR. If not for his draft status, he wouldn't even be on the team.

Yeah well Maybin was the Old Spice player of the game with 4 tackles, 1 sack and 1 INT in my Madden 11 game.

Lol.

Seriously though, he's young and has good measurables. He has untapped potential. All I'm saying is don't write him off just yet. Patience my friend.

Yes, we should.

Want to be the Bills?

Draft like the Bills.

Being concerned about this will benefit no one.

Torbor is a veteran who has proven he can get the job done. Maybin is 22, came out of school too early, and is still developing both physically and mentally.

Good: Derrick Thomas was a one-trick pony (no counter move, pure speed rusher who bent the edge so well, his lack of a counter move didn't matter).

I know you just didn't say that Maybin would be bad if he turned out to be Derrick Thomas! :bag:

Wow....!

While I am concerned that Maybin hasn't beaten out the journeyman Torbor, I do think it is too early to call him a bust.

He is clearly a very talented athlete and he is barely 21, so he will likely fill out more thout at his listed 245-250lbs, he isn't exactly small. He does have a smaller lower body "power pack".

I don't know that McKelvin running behind Florence is a big sign that McKelvin is a bust. Florence was a highly sought

after player in FA a few years ago and got a big contract (I think from Alt). He wasn't able to play up to his contract

after his FA cash-in, but he played well for the Bills last year and by all reports has carried that over. It isn't like McKelvin is behind a midling career backup like Maybin is to Torbor.

As long as we are at it, let's be clear that a large percentage of first round picks don't pan out as real difference makers. Sure, many of the real true "impact" players come from the first round, but truthfully if a team gets a solid starter from a #1 pick - even in the top 10 of a draft, that team did pretty well. For example, I wish that Donte Whitner were another Ed Reed or Troy Polomolu, but he looks like he is going to be a good starter and leader, so that is still pretty good.

I don't know that McKelvin running behind Florence is a big sign that McKelvin is a bust. Florence was a highly sought

after player in FA a few years ago and got a big contract (I think from Alt). He wasn't able to play up to his contract

after his FA cash-in, but he played well for the Bills last year and by all reports has carried that over. It isn't like McKelvin is behind a midling career backup like Maybin is to Torbor.

Actually, Torbor (as with two other current Bills, Mitchell, Mathews) was a starter for the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants.

He was an excellent pass rusher in college who always played on NFL teams with established pass rushers in New York and Miami.

As a result, he was never given the opportunity to rush the passer as a pro.

I think there's a good chance that Torbor will be a pleasant surprise for us and I think his acquisition along with Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis are excellent moves to bring in high-quality veterans with extensive 3-4 experience.

I think that characterizing Torbor as a "middling career backup" might not be giving him enough credit for a good career.

Because there are pictures of him standing next to Vernon Davis, an actual NFL player, and he looks significantly smaller despite both being listed as 250.

Bad: Early signs on Maybin are not encouraging.

Good: Maybin is way too young to call a bust.

Bad: Maybin may only be a situational pass rusher.

Good: He could still easily attain double digit sacks which would be a significant contribution to any team.

Summary: Maybin's "starting blocks explosion" and long body will give opponents fits…especially during home games when crowd noise is a factor.

Good summary - too early to call him a bust, but the initial signs are not encouraging. There seems to be a knucklehead factor with him. Here's hoping he grows up quickly. I hope we see him dump backs behind the line of scrimmage on draw plays, as opposed to racing up field and out of the play altogether.

Emotions run high about Maybin on this board. I don't have a clue how he'll end up, but Eric Moulds was being shouted about as a bust until he broke out in a BIG way in year #3. Almost nothing from him years 1/2