Has anyone else noticed...

Coach55

...the amount of underneath crossing patterns that are being run in OTAs. There seem to be a ton. These are classic Andre Reed type plays and would love to see them back as they can be big gainers when you clear out the zones. I don't know why these were non-existent in the Jauron era.

...the amount of underneath crossing patterns that are being run in OTAs. There seem to be a ton. These are classic Andre Reed type plays and would love to see them back as they can be big gainers when you clear out the zones. I don't know why these were non-existent in the Jauron era.

Agreed. Jauron didn't believe in running pass patterns where the WR could catch the ball on the run and break big chunks of YAC. It was probably too dangerous for him. Jauron's ultra conservative offense preferred the WRs to catch the ball at a dead stop.

I doubt Jauron knows, either.

Running underneath crossing patterns is hard in the NFL.

He hadn't gotten to that chapter in "NFL offenses for Dummies" when Schonert spilled coffee on it, prompting his firing.

How about captain make an easy throw for a decent gain instead of captain checkdown?

Terry Bradshaw always used to ask the rhetorical question, what is the best route? The crossing pattern.

Players wouldn't like Jauron as much and he might not be thought of as "a really nice guy" if me made them catch balls in the middle of the field.

Plus, he couldn't figure out how to get TV installed there so the players wouldn't get bored during the game.

for being as good as secondary coach as jauron was, it is completely mind blowing that we couldn't call offensive plays that would catch secondaries out of position and call plays against their weaknesses. it's a complete embarrassment that he coached 3 NFL teams

Agreed. Jauron didn't believe in running pass patterns where the WR could catch the ball on the run and break big chunks of YAC. It was probably too dangerous for him. Jauron's ultra conservative offense preferred the WRs to catch the ball at a dead stop.

DJ liked the secondary being stronger, which made ST that much better. Offense was not his forte'.

for being as good as secondary coach as jauron was, it is completely mind blowing that we couldn't call offensive plays that would catch secondaries out of position and call plays against their weaknesses. it's a complete embarrassment that he coached 3 NFL teams

I agree 100%

This is the pattern that made Wes Welker a star.

or catch the ball 5 yards pass the line of scrimmage and jump out of bounds.

This is the pattern that made Wes Welker a star.

I think Josh Reed would have really thrived playing on a team that used him in that role. He is tough enough to go over the middle and can run after the catch. The Bills simply abandoned those crossing patterns the bast 8 or so years.

But wait accoring to this board I thought Lee Evans was the one calling the plays and refusing to run accross the middle. I'm confused....

How about captain make an easy throw for a decent gain instead of captain checkdown?

Terry Bradshaw always used to ask the rhetorical question, what is the best route? The crossing pattern.

This.

If Edwards is too conservative to throw the medium-range routes, then an underneath crossing route is an ideal remedy. At least he wouldn't be checking down to Spiller/Jackson/Lynch behind the line of scrimmage and forcing them to make a play just to gain 3 yards. He might as well start with a 5-yard gain and let the receiver get a few more.

Plus what Dr K said - Wes Welker has turned into a fantasy star because he's open 7 yards down field and makes a move to gain an extra 10.

If Edwards is too conservative to throw the medium-range routes, then an underneath crossing route is an ideal remedy. At least he wouldn't be checking down to Spiller/Jackson/Lynch behind the line of scrimmage and forcing them to make a play just to gain 3 yards. He might as well start with a 5-yard gain and let the receiver get a few more.

This is exactly right. Whether you think the problem is Trent or last year's idiotic offensive system, you have to realize that that timed passing routes not only play to Trent's strength, but also make a hell of a lot of sense when you field the worst pass-blocking line in the NFL.

Because we never had competent offensive leadership. Or maybe our leadership was just offensive... (badum bum chhhh)