Gaither trade unlikely

Q: Do you think the Buffalo Bills are gonna get the trade done for Jared Gaither? If not, are they gonna go after a Jammal Brown or even a Flozell Adams for a stopgap to teach some of our young prospects?

-- Frank (Staten Island, N.Y.)

A: Frank, talks for Gaither have cooled off dramatically. No longer is it feasible to expect that trade to get done. The sides talked but are too far apart in agreeing to terms. It doesn't mean it won't one day get done, but it's not close to getting done now, and there are serious reservations that it ever will. So, that leaves Buffalo looking elsewhere, and it's a tough spot. To a certain extent, Brown can help dictate where he will go because if he refuses to sign a long-term deal, a team will be hesitant to trade for him. Adams is on the market at this time of year for a reason. There are no surefire solutions other than the draft. And the Bills believed it was more important to go with running back C.J. Spiller, who should be a great NFL player.

Q: Do you think the Buffalo Bills are gonna get the trade done for Jared Gaither? If not, are they gonna go after a Jammal Brown or even a Flozell Adams for a stopgap to teach some of our young prospects?

A: Frank, talks for Gaither have cooled off dramatically. No longer is it feasible to expect that trade to get done. The sides talked but are too far apart in agreeing to terms. It doesn't mean it won't one day get done, but it's not close to getting done now, and there are serious reservations that it ever will. So, that leaves Buffalo looking elsewhere, and it's a tough spot. To a certain extent, Brown can help dictate where he will go because if he refuses to sign a long-term deal, a team will be hesitant to trade for him. Adams is on the market at this time of year for a reason. There are no surefire solutions other than the draft. And the Bills believed it was more important to go with running back C.J. Spiller, who should be a great NFL player.

This stinks. How is the draft a surefire solution? I hope the Gaither deal isn't totally dead. Adams would be a waste of time/money. Worst case scenario .. young guys get a year playing together under their belts. All will not be lost, either way. Go Bills.

Argueing with someone in the chat box yesterday on this but he may in fact be right.....

Maybe the Ravens simply wanted a 1st rounder and wouldnt come off it? I would not give up a 1st rounder which might be a very high pick for Gaither.....frankly If we are offering a 2nd and a player I think the Ravens are stupid not to make that trade with us....because it could be a very high 2nd....

Come on Jammal Brown!

Hopefully this ends all of this Gaither nonsense.

Some people just refuse to accept the fact this trade is dead.

It's dead and none of know why. I suspect Baltimore wanted more in trade than what Buffalo would offer, given that the Bills needed to re-sign the guy to a sizable contract. The Bills aren't handing out 40-50M contracts anymore.

Bills fans must resign themselves to seeing projects like Bell or Wang getting manhandled by opposing pass-rushers. After all, they're cheap and that's what counts.

Good. I don't think the Bills should give up anything more than a 3 for him, if anything at all.

The Ravens have done two things already to lessen his value: they've moved him to a less valuable position AND publicly called him out on his attitude (as was backed up by his college coach previously).

IMHO, the Ravens won't run the risk of keeping a player who's value has declined by keeping him and risk losing him to FA and not getting anything in return. This is his last season in B'more regardless as he seeks to be compensated like an elite LT. Well, he's currently an injured RT. The Ravens have overplayed their hand.

The idea that they'll just hold on to him until a team sustains an injury (some have posited that here) is a gamble at best. And even THEN I doubt a team would be willing to pay more than a 3rd.

GO BILLS!!!

Good. I don't think the Bills should give up anything more than a 3 for him, if anything at all.

The Ravens have done two things already to lessen his value: they've moved him to a less valuable position AND publicly called him out on his attitude (as was backed up by his college coach previously).

IMHO, the Ravens won't run the risk of keeping a player who's value has declined by keeping him and risk losing him to FA and not getting anything in return. This is his last season in B'more regardless as he seeks to be compensated like an elite LT. Well, he's currently an injured RT. The Ravens have overplayed their hand.

The idea that they'll just hold on to him until a team sustains an injury (some have posited that here) is a gamble at best. And even THEN I doubt a team would be willing to pay more than a 3rd.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes and yes....exactly

From what I have been reading and hearing, the Ravens want a #2 and the Bills are offering a #3 and the Ravens aren't budging yet. So Schefter, who has really gone south IMO since going to ESPN, goes from saying the Bills want him BAD to the trade looks dead now with exactly nothing happening either way.

Newsome is very likely just waiting the Bills out. There is no reason for him to budge right now because he's in a pretty tough bind. It's similar to the Chargers situation with Michael Turner a couple years ago. They had to decide what was worth trading him away for, versus keeping him for one full year and then losing him for nothing. They decided to keep him. The Ravens may as well.

I do think the Bills may be able to get him for a #3 next year and a player, or a #3 that turns into a #2 if, say, he plays all 16 games and gets five pro bowl votes or the Bills offense finishes in the upper half of the conference, some incentive based thing that is feasible, and neither highly likely nor unlikely.

From what I have been reading and hearing, the Ravens want a #2 and the Bills are offering a #3 and the Ravens aren't budging yet. So Schefter, who has really gone south IMO since going to ESPN, goes from saying the Bills want him BAD to the trade looks dead now with exactly nothing happening either way.

Newsome is very likely just waiting the Bills out. There is no reason for him to budge right now because he's in a pretty tough bind. It's similar to the Chargers situation with Michael Turner a couple years ago. They had to decide what was worth trading him away for, versus keeping him for one full year and then losing him for nothing. They decided to keep him. The Ravens may as well.

I do think the Bills may be able to get him for a #3 next year and a player, or a #3 that turns into a #2 if, say, he plays all 16 games and gets five pro bowl votes or the Bills offense finishes in the upper half of the conference, some incentive based thing that is feasible, and neither highly likely nor unlikely.

Exactly. It's a game of chicken at this point.

I forget where I read this but there was something I read that made me believe that the cRavens are asking for Leodis McKelvin. I surmised it from what I read but it makes sense seeing as how the cRavens are CB starved.

I hope the Bills do not give up McKelvin in any deal.

I don't have any inside info, but when I look back before the draft at speculation about who the Bills would pick, it ended up that Gailey and Nix pretty much were honest before the draft about who they'd be looking at. It appears these guys aren't saying one thing only to do another. That being said, I recall Gailey responding to a question about LT after the draft: he said they wanted to look at how their guys performed in camp, with pads on, and if they thought they needed to upgrade - if it looked like the guys they had couldn't do what they wanted them to do - then they'd look for an upgrade via F.A.

That pretty much tells you they are in no hurry to sign a LT, unless it's a good deal for them. If our LT candidates dissappoint come training camp, then I think you'll see the Bills moving to trade for someone.

This stinks. How is the draft a surefire solution? I hope the Gaither deal isn't totally dead. Adams would be a waste of time/money. Worst case scenario .. young guys get a year playing together under their belts. All will not be lost, either way. Go Bills.

Why give up anything for Gaither? The Bills are not contending for a playoff spot this year, that should be very obvious to the objective fan if there is such a thing. Gaither will be a free agent next year his true market value will be known. There is not a need to give up a player or a draft pick for him. They are planning to start Edwards this year that should last a few games until he goes on IR. He will be followed by Fitzpatrick and Brohm. Perhaps Levi Brown will see a game or two at the end of the season.

It's still posturing, IMO. Neither team has any motivation to 'blink' until training camp opens...

I'm a little let down with this at this point, as I was hoping something would occur soon to fix perhaps our biggest hole on the roster- that of LT.

Oh well. It could still happen. I think as others have mentioned that Baltimore is probably holding to too high of a draft pick in return and/ or Gaither may be being a jerk about not wanting/ wanting a multi-year deal.

But it probably has more to do with what Baltimore wants and what the Bills are willing to spend than anything else.

Why give up anything for Gaither? The Bills are not contending for a playoff spot this year, that should be very obvious to the objective fan if there is such a thing. Gaither will be a free agent next year his true market value will be known. There is not a need to give up a player or a draft pick for him. They are planning to start Edwards this year that should last a few games until he goes on IR. He will be followed by Fitzpatrick and Brohm. Perhaps Levi Brown will see a game or two at the end of the season.

Getting Gaither now would almost be equivalent to drafting him. He's that young. And he'd cost less than a 1st round pick would have, due to being a few years older. That's just my thinking, anyway. Had they gotten Gaither via trade during the draft, their so-called grade would've been an A, and not a C (grades are BS, anyway).

I forget where I read this but there was something I read that made me believe that the cRavens are asking for Leodis McKelvin. I surmised it from what I read but it makes sense seeing as how the cRavens are CB starved.

I hope the Bills do not give up McKelvin in any deal.

Seriously in a division with Randy Moss/Brandon Marshall/Braylon Edwards/Santonio Holmes the Bills really can't afford to be trading someone with the potential of McKelvin especially when you consider that McGee and Drayton Florence are getting up there in age, while guys like youboty/corner are likely nothing more than nickle/dime backs. Gaither is a nice player, but the Bills can afford not to be in a hurry on this one.

it is dead as long as the Bills are not offering Baltimore's asking price. Lets see what happens in camp. The Price being asked may not look that high when are young left tackles are being abused. Then agian maybe one of them steps up.

it is dead as long as the Bills are not offering Baltimore's asking price. Lets see what happens in camp. The Price being asked may not look that high when are young left tackles are being abused. Then agian maybe one of them steps up.

Gaither has an injured foot ... he's been moved to RT ... he has an attitude problem ... he will be a FA after this season ... he may have a weight issue too.

So, for the naysayers ... if our LT's fail us miserably and we don't win any games (your ultimate fantastic dream season) then we get to pick Mel Kiper's #1 QB and ... Gaither will be out on the FA market.

If we make the trade w/o him signing a long term contract then it is not even worth a #3 pick. If he signs and then his injury or weight or attitude keep him from playing then do we draft an LT next year after the ultimate dream guaranteed to succeed QB?

If we sign him and make the trade ... give up a #2 and maybe a player (Roscoe) and he doesn't pan out then who do we blame?

Bell had one good game at LT to start the season when we had an OL w/o injuries. Then everyone started getting hurt. Does he have potential? Maybe. Does every single rookie OL make more than their share of mistakes/penalties? Yes ... Did Bell do anything worse than any other first year LT? I don't think so.

So Bell might be ready ... Wang is certainly motivated ... or maybe Gaither but not at too steep a price.

And, is anyone surprised that Adam is contradicting himself one more time?

I agree what the Bills are doing, they are going to wait to see if Bell if healthy enough in camp to handle LT. Or to see if they got lucky with Wang.

Either way they can afford to wait until training camp. If they feel that Wang or Bell cant swing it they can get Gaither or somebody else to upgrade the position.

They would not be in this position if they took Oher last year instead of Maybin but that's water under the dam now.

My gut feel here is Demetrius Bell has been locked in the weight room all offseason, and will come in and show what he's worth. He now has starting experience (albeit rocky) in 2009 and the "promise" of an open competition between him and Jamon Meredith. Trial by fire can work, so I'm thinking he's smart enough to realize his potential windfall IF he performs as a starting OLT in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills, don't sell him short!! His major knock last year was strength, if it were me, I'd shore up the faults and let natural ability win out. Go Bills and go Demetrius!!!

My gut feel here is Demetrius Bell has been locked in the weight room all offseason, and will come in and show what he's worth. He now has starting experience (albeit rocky) in 2009 and the "promise" of an open competition between him and Jamon Meredith. Trial by fire can work, so I'm thinking he's smart enough to realize his potential windfall IF he performs as a starting OLT in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills, don't sell him short!! His major knock last year was strength, if it were me, I'd shore up the faults and let natural ability win out. Go Bills and go Demetrius!!!

I thought last year proved that rolling the dice on project players to be average starters (EDIT:was absurd)? Meredith was cut by an OT starved team (GB) and Bell was one of the most penalized OT's in the NFL before being injured. Neither of these guys are long term options and with this organization I wouldn't be surprised to see Wang starting on opening day. The Bills know that they can hype up a new player given the lack of tape, and Wang fits that.

Besides, OL play isn't quantified by stats, so anyone can play these positions. Sure.

I thought last year proved that rolling the dice on project players to be average starters (EDIT:was absurd)? Meredith was cut by an OT starved team (GB) and Bell was one of the most penalized OT's in the NFL before being injured. Neither of these guys are long term options and with this organization I wouldn't be surprised to see Wang starting on opening day. The Bills know that they can hype up a new player given the lack of tape, and Wang fits that.

Besides, OL play isn't quantified by stats, so anyone can play these positions. Sure.

How many of Bell's penalties were false starts on no huddle plays? I think Bell will be a much better football player Sept 2009 than Sept 2010, and will be in a much better situation to succeed. And I think he will once again be our starting LT in the opener. How he does remains to be seen, but if our guys are healthy I think our line will be much less of a problem than the current conventional wisdom would lead you to believe.

It's dead until it happens. How many times do you hear a deal is off only to take place later. Mcnabb was supposed to be staying put. Everyone was sure Marshawn was gone after the draft. It was a no brainer according to the pundits. Just be patient and be happy Nix isn't makin a foolish trade.

never say dead. i'll bet you anything that gaither gets traded. he has not taken a snap since day one. he supposedly has a minor foot issue yet he still is not on the field what does that tell you?

IMO it means they do not want to risk him getting hurt then killing any trade possibilities. secondly the ravens keep raving about cousins the guy who would replace gaither @ RT that IMO also speaks volumes of the true intentions of the ravens.

while schefter is a very good reporter probably the best there is the distinct possibility that he does not know what is going on behind the scenes with the ravens and who ever in regards to trading gaither.

time will tell but if the ravens are not going to pay him LT money which they wont then if they let him play RT this year they loose him next year for nothing. this is their last chance to get something for him believe me he's going to get traded to who i dont know.

however never say never its still very early!

GO BILLS!!!

look the guy is a very very good proven LT and is very young and has started 2 seasons. if you think you get a young possibly great LT for a third round pick you are out of your mind!

are you freaking serious absolutly ridiculous clueless logic!

Gaither has an injured foot ... he's been moved to RT ... he has an attitude problem ... he will be a FA after this season ... he may have a weight issue too.

So, for the naysayers ... if our LT's fail us miserably and we don't win any games (your ultimate fantastic dream season) then we get to pick Mel Kiper's #1 QB and ... Gaither will be out on the FA market.

If we make the trade w/o him signing a long term contract then it is not even worth a #3 pick. If he signs and then his injury or weight or attitude keep him from playing then do we draft an LT next year after the ultimate dream guaranteed to succeed QB?

If we sign him and make the trade ... give up a #2 and maybe a player (Roscoe) and he doesn't pan out then who do we blame?

Bell had one good game at LT to start the season when we had an OL w/o injuries. Then everyone started getting hurt. Does he have potential? Maybe. Does every single rookie OL make more than their share of mistakes/penalties? Yes ... Did Bell do anything worse than any other first year LT? I don't think so.

So Bell might be ready ... Wang is certainly motivated ... or maybe Gaither but not at too steep a price.

And, is anyone surprised that Adam is contradicting himself one more time?

doesant pan out? the guy started 2 years in this league and played great are you freaking serious?

obviously you dont know this but young proven LT's in the NFL are worth their weight in gold.

you are absolutly clueless in regards to gaithers talent!

Why hasn't Baltimore been able to trade Gaither for a 2nd round draft choice? There are certainly a number of teams that need a LT.

Why hasn't Baltimore been able to trade Gaither for a 2nd round draft choice? There are certainly a number of teams that need a LT.

How do you know their asking price is only a 2nd round draft choice with nothing additional required?

If the Ravens choose to hold onto Gaither this season, the Bills should make a serious run at him in free agency next year. He's worth the money and it'd be one less position we'd need to use a draft pick on.

I don't have any inside info, but when I look back before the draft at speculation about who the Bills would pick, it ended up that Gailey and Nix pretty much were honest before the draft about who they'd be looking at. It appears these guys aren't saying one thing only to do another. That being said, I recall Gailey responding to a question about LT after the draft: he said they wanted to look at how their guys performed in camp, with pads on, and if they thought they needed to upgrade - if it looked like the guys they had couldn't do what they wanted them to do - then they'd look for an upgrade via F.A.

That pretty much tells you they are in no hurry to sign a LT, unless it's a good deal for them. If our LT candidates dissappoint come training camp, then I think you'll see the Bills moving to trade for someone.

Sadly, if that is the strategy, there will be no one worth trading for by July. I'd like to believe that the staff is confident that they can coach up these guys to perform better, instead of the scenario where Wilson continues to keep the organization operating on the cheap, but the moves made all point to the latter.

Link, please. Looks like it's from a chat, and I'd love to see it.

Color me unsurprised. I didn't think, from the beginning, that the Ravens ever wanted to trade the guy.

look the guy is a very very good proven LT and is very young and has started 2 seasons. if you think you get a young possibly great LT for a third round pick you are out of your mind!

Yeah, he's SO good and SO proven that he's now playing right tackle. He's SO proven and SO good that both the Ravens FO and his college coach have consistently questioned his work habits. He's SO proven and SO good that NO TEAM IN THE LEAGUE has been willing to meet their price for such proven, good talent at the most critical position on the OLine.

If he was SO proven and SO good he wouldn't be available for ANY price, Oher's presence notwithstanding. He's shown, in spurts, that he's got POTENTIAL. But he is as inconsistent as they come. I've followed him since high school. He lacks drive and ambition; character traits that have been questioned since he started playing the game.

Maybe when he decides to grow up, dedicate himself, and prepare like a professional 24/7 for 365 he'll become that ALL Pro LT that you seem to think he is already.

I know the value of great LTs. And I know you don't get great ones for 3rd round picks. There's a difference between being out of one's mind as you put it and feeling the guy just isn't worth the price of a true elite LT.

From the total lack of movement on a trade to ANY team up to this point, the consensus about Gaither would seem to be in my favor.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Ever think that the reason they lowered his value is that they never wanted to get rid of him? This way they can say to Gaither, hey, we tried, but nobody wanted to pay us what you're worth (after we publicly denigrated you).

Maybe they think he makes them a much better team, a team with powerful bookend tackles which will have a terrific running game to help their still-green QB maybe take them to a Super Bowl. This year. Seems obvious to me since I said so from the linstant a Gaither trade rumor started whirling around.

Link, please. Looks like it's from a chat, and I'd love to see it.

Color me unsurprised. I didn't think, from the beginning, that the Ravens ever wanted to trade the guy.

So you think the Ravens find it preferable to play him at RT for the season then lose him to free agency and get no compensation for him? I'm not saying that scenario is impossible but I find it unlikely. Sure, they'd have a great pair of bookend tackles for a season (assuming Gaither's attitude doesn't become a problem as it has in the past), but his eventual replacement at RT would have his development retarded by having to wait for Gaither to leave after the season.

GO BILLS!!!

So you think the Ravens find it preferable to play him at RT for the season then lose him to free agency and get no compensation for him? I'm not saying that scenario is impossible but I find it unlikely. Sure, they'd have a great pair of bookend tackles for a season (assuming Gaither's attitude doesn't become a problem as it has in the past), but his eventual replacement at RT would have his development retarded by having to wait for Gaither to leave after the season.

GO BILLS!!!

What makes you think they have to lose him? Next year we have no idea what the system will be, if there is one. And even if it's the same, they could franchise him. Do that a couple of times and force him into signing a contract. Or trade him after franchising him and after getting the extra year out of him for just over $3 mill this year. The Ravens options are endless.

And while teams like us that are rebuilding really do have to worry about retarding the development of young guys, teams like the Ravens that might well make the Super Bowl this year don't worry about stuff like that. If they keep him this year and win the Super Bowl while paying Gaither $3 mill ... where is the downside? RTs are much easier to find than LTs.

Also, the whole problem of Gaither's attitude was not a problem in the least since Gaither has been a Raven. Not a whisper of a problem, and Gaither was the sixth-best tackle in the league last year, at the much more demanding LT position.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

It's only when other teams might have grabbed him up, only when he missed a voluntary camp because he was unsatisfied with his (pathetic for his talent level) salary that the unattributed whispers began. No players have said anything. It's only one - unattributed - report that has recycled over and over and over that has been turned by relentless media coverage and re-coverage into a big attitude problem. And again, those whispers have worked completely in the Ravens favor, getting him to camp and lowering the offering price for him (the Ravens don't want to get rid of him, I'm saying). You don't wonder about those rumors, even though there have never been complaints about him before?

People have talked about his attitude problems in college. But there were none, at least on the field. He had academic issues. You'd have to throw out half the NFL if you felt that was a sign you didn't want a guy on your team.

He had an outstanding year last year. Everyone assumes these rumors are true, even though the guy played great and the Ravens clearly had a good reason to let this stuff out at exactly this time.