Jets Weaknesses

How can our offense exploit their defense? Two very strong one-on-one corners and a first round pick that was the best cover corner drafted. They put these guys on an island and put nine in the box.

Running against nine in the box is tough and passing against their corners might be pretty tough too.

Good special teams coach and special teams in general.

Good offensive line. Addition of Holmes adds speed to receiving corp.

I don't want to roll over here by any means but man they look tough.

How can our offense exploit their defense? Two very strong one-on-one corners and a first round pick that was the best cover corner drafted. They put these guys on an island and put nine in the box.

Running against nine in the box is tough and passing against their corners might be pretty tough too.

Chemistry, it can be a B word, especially with a Ryan at the helm.

Their running game is their biggest weakness. Getting rid of Thomas Jones and Leon Washington borders on the brain dead. Shonn Green is good but he's not good enough, JMO.

Mark Sanchez had a 63.0 QB rating last year. The reason they got to AFC Championship game was by far their running game. The Bills run defense should see great improvement this year and if they can stuff the run the Jests will be forced to throw against McKelvin, McGee and Byrd. With Sanchez throwing 12 TD's and 20 Int's last year I like those odds. The Bills secondary is one of the best in the league and so dealing with their receivers shouldn't be an insurmountable task especially when the RB weakness is taken into account.

If CJ Spiller breaks the corner he's gonna move the chains, probably significantly. I hope Gailey can get the offense to a little above average this year because if they are then the Bills should be able to split the games with them this year. JMO

Their defense is tough because their secondary is one of the best and even better than Buffalo's, IMO, but not perfect. I'll put money on Chansaw finding holes to exploit. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm an offensive genius. But my scheme would be use thier aggression against them. This also caters to Edwards' strength and Spillers strengths. Screen passes and check downs. They blitz a bunch and if we can chuck it short to a RB, which is definitely something we CAN do. We have a shot to put up okay numbers on an otherwise outstanding defense.

I think getting rid of Thomas and Leon was dumb to. I don't think the run game will be a weakness per se. I am just hoping those losses along with Faneca will weaken it a little. Enough to where our improved run defense will be able to stuff them.

well i am not as impressed by the jests as you are i think - their biggest weakness is their raving manic of a coach - but he is entertaining - and yes they made the playoffs but don't forget how they made the playoffs . . . by other teams rolling over in the last week or in somecases the last two weeks - without all the help they got they would not have been in the playoffs and everyone knows this - i still think the patsies will be the team to beat this year - we are not there yet but anything could happen especially if we are better than 30th in the nfl against the run this year - and remember the o-line played very well in the first game of the season before injuries started taking its toll on the o-line so anything is possible

well i am not as impressed by the jests as you are i think - their biggest weakness is their raving manic of a coach - but he is entertaining - and yes they made the playoffs but don't forget how they made the playoffs . . . by other teams rolling over in the last week or in somecases the last two weeks - without all the help they got they would not have been in the playoffs and everyone knows this - i still think the patsies will be the team to beat this year - we are not there yet but anything could happen especially if we are better than 30th in the nfl against the run this year - and remember the o-line played very well in the first game of the season before injuries started taking its toll on the o-line so anything is possible

If they had lost in the first week of the playoffs that would have a lot more validity to me but they made the championship game by beating two other playoff teams. I just think they started peaking at the right time. I think Ryan is a great HC. A lot of fire, used correctly, can really pump up a team.

The Bills aren't gonna beat them next year.

The Bills will have to wait until they have an above average QB to beat them. Maybe in 2112....

There is a few things that the Jets should be concerned about

1- Left Guard- They are starting a rookie at left guard Mangold and Ferguson really struggled once Pete Kendal left. Yes Mangold and Ferguson are older but left guard is a major concern. Mangold and Ferguson are now going to be holding the hand of a rookie.

2- Mark Sanchez is their QB - Why should I be scared of the Jets passing attack when a guy who put up number similar to Jamarcus Russel is their QB. Just because their QB is a year older doesn't mean he will be better. Sanchez is a weakness.

Older D-line- Kris Jenkins is coming off of injury and is over 30 and Shaun Ellis is 33 both guys are key in their front 7 and they are a lot older and have a lot of miles on them. If those guys break down the young guys behind them (DeVito and Sione Pouha) will have to step up and 1 of two things can happen 1- Young guys just aren't capable of stepping up 2- They step up but get worn down as the season goes on as the front 7 looses its depth.

Pass Rush is determined by the blitz- They have one guy in Calvin Pace that is a pure pass rusher and he is an OLB they don't have a DE that can rush the passer and out of their OLB's they only have one guy who is a good pass rusher. So right now the Jets depend on the blitz a lot to rush the passer even with their corners good WR's can expose the scheme.

Running back- Greene is their only real running back. Tomlinson is washed up, and Joe McKnight is a rookie. Also can Greene carry the load?

All in all they have a ton of concerns yeah they have more talent on paper then us but come on Mark Sanchez isn't a guy who inspires a lot of confidence in the offense. Also the D has some concerns to it in the age of the D-line and the lack of more then one pure pass rusher.

There is a few things that the Jets should be concerned about

1- Left Guard- They are starting a rookie at left guard Mangold and Ferguson really struggled once Pete Kendal left. Yes Mangold and Ferguson are older but left guard is a major concern. Mangold and Ferguson are now going to be holding the hand of a rookie.

2- Mark Sanchez is their QB - Why should I be scared of the Jets passing attack when a guy who put up number similar to Jamarcus Russel is their QB. Just because their QB is a year older doesn't mean he will be better. Sanchez is a weakness.

Older D-line- Kris Jenkins is coming off of injury and is over 30 and Shaun Ellis is 33 both guys are key in their front 7 and they are a lot older and have a lot of miles on them. If those guys break down the young guys behind them (DeVito and Sione Pouha) will have to step up and 1 of two things can happen 1- Young guys just aren't capable of stepping up 2- They step up but get worn down as the season goes on as the front 7 looses its depth.

Pass Rush is determined by the blitz- They have one guy in Calvin Pace that is a pure pass rusher and he is an OLB they don't have a DE that can rush the passer and out of their OLB's they only have one guy who is a good pass rusher. So right now the Jets depend on the blitz a lot to rush the passer even with their corners good WR's can expose the scheme.

Running back- Greene is their only real running back. Tomlinson is washed up, and Joe McKnight is a rookie. Also can Greene carry the load?

All in all they have a ton of concerns yeah they have more talent on paper then us but come on Mark Sanchez isn't a guy who inspires a lot of confidence in the offense. Also the D has some concerns to it in the age of the D-line and the lack of more then one pure pass rusher.

They are way better than the Bills.

This makes no sense, respectfully.

The guy coached them to the playoffs, started a rookie QB, and had a stellar D. Please explain the downside of having this coach in the AFC East?

This makes no sense, respectfully.

The guy coached them to the playoffs, started a rookie QB, and had a stellar D. Please explain the downside of having this coach in the AFC East?

Jets defense will get about 100 sacks as they will blitz anyone from anywhere. I don't even want to thnik when we play them what will happen. They destroyed Trent last year, by the 2ng Qtr he was done. They have no weaknesses other than kicker. They talk the talk and also walk the walk. we should have had Ryan as coach as he has assembled a bunch of nuts that will intimidate like Baltimore and Chicago did intheir heyday. Shonn Green is what Marshawn should have or could have been. Jnekins coming back and taylor and cromartie just make them better than last year if they do not implode. A lot of nuts on that team with Santonio, my guess is will be suspended soon again for airplane issue recently.

If you want to find out how to beat them, then just go watch films of the 80s Bears and Eagles and early 90s Cardinals. I have a funny feeling Ryan is going to run his dad's 46 defense more or less to a T. Hes got all the tools to do it. IMO, hes gonna drop those two corners back in coverage and just send the other 9 guys to the QB or RB on pretty much every down.

Jets are a sick team. Talented, deep and well coached.

I think they, like any other team, can be beaten on any given Sunday. People are talking up the Jets like the Pats of 3 years ago. It's ridiculous. They created a weakness when they let go of Faneca IMO. True they still have Mangold and Ferguson, but anytime you get rid of an all pro OG it doesn't make things better.

They've also weakened the backfield by getting rid of Jones and Washington. Greene burst onto the scene last year in the playoffs, but can he carry the load for a full season? Was his big games a product of "fresh legs" against tired teams? Guess we'll find out this year. The addition of LT doesn't even equal out the loss of Jones if you ask me. LT is washed up, a broken down old horse who was run into the ground by SD for a few years as Rivers was developing. Once an elite RB, far from that now. Third string, as of now, Joe McKnight (rookie from USC) whom I heard looked terrible at the minicamp session so far.

Let's next talk about Sanchez. Sanchez has all the ability in the world, but he's still young. He's going to continue to make mistakes. I do expect him to be better this year, especially if he can click with Holmes and Edwards. I expect people to come after Sanchez alot more this year, see if they can rattle him. The best games he had were the games where the opposition didn't blitz very often.

All in all, on paper anyway, the Jets look like the team to beat in the AFC East if not in the whole AFC. The injuries will be a determining factor, as they are for all teams. What if Revis gets hurt, Mangold or Ferguson go down, Bart Scott, Shonne Greene, or anyone else who is a key cog to the Jets machine? These things shape a season, as all of us Bills fans surely know. All it takes is the wrong guy/guys to go down to injury and your supposed 12-4 team could turn into a 6-10 team really quick. You gotta love variables, unless your team is on the short end of the stick.

If you want to find out how to beat them, then just go watch films of the 80s Bears and Eagles and early 90s Cardinals. I have a funny feeling Ryan is going to run his dad's 46 defense more or less to a T. Hes got all the tools to do it. IMO, hes gonna drop those two corners back in coverage and just send the other 9 guys to the QB or RB on pretty much every down.

Jets are a sick team. Talented, deep and well coached.

Ryan lets his defensive players play full throttle without having to over think themselves. This approach can be taken advantage of sometimes but not so much if they have talent which they do. I have no problem with Gailey because he has a pretty good resume, but Schottenheimer was my guy. He respects his own weaknesses and doesn't let other teams exploit them. I think the Bills game in the Meadowlands where they threw so many interceptions was a turning point for them. Schott and Ryan knew they had the defense to beat anyone, they just could not beat themselves with turnovers. Sanchez rarely threw more than twenty balls a game after that. I would be happy with a split this coming year.

The Jets biggest weakness is their arrogance. They were 2-4 in division games last year. They won nothing last year. And the meter goes back to 0-0 every season. Its no sure thing that any of their offseason acquisitions are going to pan out anymore than it is for the Bills. They picked up two head cases at CB and WR. The fact that their old teams were willing to take very little for these 'stars' speaks loudly. Nobody seems to be listening to that message right now. Wait until they start screwing up under the NY media spotlight. And their free agent acquisitions while good players are past their prime.

Looking at the Bills, the #1 problem they had against the Jets, and Dolphins, was stopping the run. They surrendered a staggering 1,004 yards rushing in those 4 games and by way of turnovers won 2 of them. Stopping the run and acquiring players for the 3-4 was the Bills priority in the draft. How good a job Buddy & Co. did won't be clear until they hit the field and start playing.

I work with several long-time Jets season ticket holders and I find it interesting that while they are looking forward to the season they do not share the blind optimism about their team that some have expressed here. Perhaps through experience, they are cautious about expections similar to what most Bills fans have become.

That all said, the Jets roster still looks superior to the Bills at this point in the offseason and a split looks good right now.

The Jets will crumble under the weight of expectations this year. If not for the lay downs by a couple of teams last season, the Jets wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Yes, they did make the most of it once they were in, but now it's as if the 2009 season didn't matter. That they were now at the top of the AFC with the Colts. Don't forget, the Bills beat them last year.

So now the Jets have to wear the "top contender" belt in the media capitol of the world with the same deficiency they had last year, a very mediocre offense with and inaccurate QB. Every little and big bad thing thing that happens will be blown up to epic proportions. The Jets never live up to high expectation levels. They have an awesome defense, but that offense and the NFL media world's TMZ treatment will be their downfall. Prediction: 9-7, no playoffs.

I think the key to stopping them is a good pass rush. Sanchez is good but I think he can be rattled. Since they didn't seem to care about their running game by getting rid of their best backs, a strong run defense coupled by a good pass rush would be the trick. Unfortunatley I don't see the Bills doing that this year, and nobody else in the division has a stout enough defense either. I think the Jets win the division.

To beat them in 2010, we have to have a strong running game, no turnovers and some great ST play to get the advantage in field position. Turnovers will be key - and I don't mean apple or cherry. We can't expect Dirty Sanchez to throw 5 picks a game this year, but turnovers will be key. The Jests running game should not be as stout as it was last year with Faneca and Thomas being replaced by a rookie and Ladanian Turf-toe-Tomlinson.

One of the best things that could happen from our perspective is that they lose a bunch early and the locker room starts to fester and stink.

I love the Jets on Defense, they might have the best in the league right now. Ryan is one heck of a coach. Schotty knows how to handle Sanchez on offense. They might have the best coaching staff in the AFC, that goes along way.

They are going to beat you on Defense. Remember how the Ravens won the super Bowl in 2000? Dilfer was not the best QB in the world but the D carried them.

LT is going to score alot but Green is going to be the feature back. Losing Washington is going to hurt the Special Teams and on 3rd down. Fanica wore down during the latter part of the season and I don't think his loss is gonna kill them.The O-line is going to wear teams down. I don't see them losing more than 5 or 6 games. I don't see many weakness, they can be beat but the key is to get ahead early and hope Sanchez throws some INT's, like against the Bills.

I hope they crush Tom Brady twice and they built the team to rush the passer. As much as I don't like the Jets I respect what they have done, way more than I do the Pats who I can't stand.

The Jets will crumble under the weight of expectations this year. If not for the lay downs by a couple of teams last season, the Jets wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Yes, they did make the most of it once they were in, but now it's as if the 2009 season didn't matter. That they were now at the top of the AFC with the Colts. Don't forget, the Bills beat them last year.

So now the Jets have to wear the "top contender" belt in the media capitol of the world with the same deficiency they had last year, a very mediocre offense with and inaccurate QB. Every little and big bad thing thing that happens will be blown up to epic proportions. The Jets never live up to high expectation levels. They have an awesome defense, but that offense and the NFL media world's TMZ treatment will be their downfall. Prediction: 9-7, no playoffs.

My feelings exactly. Vastly overhyped team.

Why did we beat them last year when they had a better running game?

They have great corners.....but you beat that by spreading them out and flooding with recievers....then use a good pass catching RB that and can make somebody miss underneath

This of course will take a while to work....so in the meantime we have biult a stout defense to hold them down until we can score enough points to win

The Bills aren't gonna beat them next year.

The Bills will have to wait until they have an above average QB to beat them. Maybe in 2112....

We beat them last year and we'll beat them again this year. The jets suck, they were essentially 8-8 last year and beat a bad CIN and a bad SD team in the playoffs. The Bills have a better shot at the playoffs this year than the jets.

They traded in their all pro RB for a washed up former all pro, they picked up a CB that SD didn't want and they picked up jason taylor (I don't think I have to say how much of a bum he is). Then they cut their all pro G in favour of a rookie 2nd rounder...like people, stop drinking the damn kool aid that clark judge throws out there. The jets will be 7-9 this year.

I love the Jets on Defense, they might have the best in the league right now. Ryan is one heck of a coach. Schotty knows how to handle Sanchez on offense. They might have the best coaching staff in the AFC, that goes along way.

They are going to beat you on Defense. Remember how the Ravens won the super Bowl in 2000? Dilfer was not the best QB in the world but the D carried them.

LT is going to score alot but Green is going to be the feature back. Losing Washington is going to hurt the Special Teams and on 3rd down. Fanica wore down during the latter part of the season and I don't think his loss is gonna kill them.The O-line is going to wear teams down. I don't see them losing more than 5 or 6 games. I don't see many weakness, they can be beat but the key is to get ahead early and hope Sanchez throws some INT's, like against the Bills.

I hope they crush Tom Brady twice and they built the team to rush the passer. As much as I don't like the Jets I respect what they have done, way more than I do the Pats who I can't stand.

Excellent insights and I agree about them trashing the Patsies. They are not as dominant as everyone thinks though. Every team has weaknesses and the team that beats them is going to be the team that knows how to exploit them. The Jets were very susceptible to running backs coming out of the backfield on short dump-offs which is something that our team seems to excel at.

Acquiring a bunch of big names and plugging them in usually does not work. You want to know their weakness? A young mediocre QB, a questionable run game, a questionable o-line, a receiving core full of players who are inconsistent and weren't wanted by their own teams, an old d-line, and a DB core that consist of one pro-bowl CB. Don't tell me cromartie is all that special at CB.

Jet's won't make the playoffs.

+1. I've been saying this for a while. It also remains to be seen how his LapBand procedure will affect him. Rex Ryan might find that he lacks the energy and drive to effectively coach a football team....

+1. I've been saying this for a while. It also remains to be seen how his LapBand procedure will affect him. Rex Ryan might find that he lacks the energy and drive to effectively coach a football team....

there is a fine line between charisma and crazy. if things go well and they get on a roll, they'll likely play well. solid defense, possession offense with sanchez in year 2. however, if things break badly, an injury or two, the collision of egos on the team, and a couple tough losses---well then i;d think chubby or skinny rex could get real annoying real fast. for those who think they are a shoe-in, how many one-hit wonders do you have to see in nfl before you realize stringing two together has an awful lot to do with luck?

(1) If they had lost in the first week of the playoffs that would have a lot more validity to me but they made the championship game by beating two other playoff teams. (2) I just think they started peaking at the right time. (3) I think Ryan is a great HC. (4) A lot of fire, used correctly, can really pump up a team.

(1) good point and i think you may be right if you tie in (2) because they were peaking at the right time.

(2) i agree

(3) i don't even think he is a good coach let alone a great one - but you could be right as he is 1 for 1 in getting to the playoffs so far but time will tell

(4) i agree that emotion, when used in a positive manner, can be a strong motivator for a person or a team

Safety is a weakness. Injuries can cripple anybody. But it looks like they improved on an already solid defense. I'm not 100% convinced that Cromartie can be a great corner. He's going to be tested and thrown to a lot though because Revis is the best cover corner in the league. If he steps up and plays well, it's an elite defense. It certainly looks like a scary defense.

But there are still some questions. Will the linebacking core hold up? Kris Jenkins is getting old and has experienced an injury plauged career. NT is the most important position in the 3-4, who will play if he can't/doesn't?

Jets weaknesses.

1 year starter at QB.

Their run game will be tested against a beefed up Bills D.

They like to crowd the line with extra bodies and can be beaten with the use of a pass catching TE and RB out of the backfield. Basically, linebacker mismatches. I see Spiller as a dangerous weapon against them.

Their offensive line has weaknesses that can be exposed.

They like to send CB blitzes and need to pay for those poor decisions.

There is more, I am sure but they do have weaknesses. They surprised a lot of people last year and I am sure that they will find the competition stiffen this year. The team with a great big bullseye painted on them is the Jets. Personally, I like our chances better. Nobody thinks the Bills are a big threat.

WISH BONE

Screw the Jets, how can our offense exploit UB's defense?

They have more talent than the Bills, but their weakness is arrogance.