Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

i dont doubt the kids talent, but how long will it be before people are posting about him "dancing too much in the backfield"? and we'll then realize that it hasnt been the RBs, its been the lack of holes.

Thurman Thomas was a great back. he also had a great line in front of him and plenty of holes to run through. he also had a great qb throwing to him, who himself was well protected to set the play up.

i dont know. im trying to get behind the pick, but... it does feel like more of the same.

Post your reaction here....

This team makes we want to tear my friggin hair out. The turnstile of high draft running backs and gadget players this decade means this team goes absolutely NOWHERE. Gbye Travis, uh WIllis, uh Marshawn, uh next.

It is funny to watch the almost panic because the Bills took Spiller...relax, they will get an OT and a DT.

If lynch is not traded he will likely become more of a blocking back.

So then, 3 years from now when we tire of Spiller and draft yet another first round RB, what will Spiller become? Just another Roscoe Parish?

I was with you up until the part about 2018...yeah it might take that long, but I sure hope not. Ralph's lease might be up by then...

No, 2018 was my sarcastic response to the post I was quoting saying 3-5 years before competing and another 3 before contending. I think that you draft top talent for their overall contribution over the next five years (including the first and second year), and Spiller is a great pick for that. You can't look out as far as the person I was quoting keeps insisting.

I like spiller over the next five years a lot and think he has a legitimate argument for BPA which is always my first choice.

The fact that you don't understand that point is why you don't understand the modern NFL.

Look at all the starting RBs in the league and where they were drafted (if they even were). This is a passing league. You pass to set up the run now, not the other way around. A good passing game makes your running game better and allows you to have lesser (and cheaper) talent at the RB position and still win games. The running game is not unimportant -- but having a "stud" RB is.

That's the point. Your thinking is valid 10 years ago. Not now.

So Adrian Peterson, LT, and Chris Johnson were the wrong picks. RIght. You're focusing too much on preconceptions about your view of the structure of today's game and too little on the role that talent plays. Modrak knows talent (he wanted Cushing and Cutler but was overruled) and he was apparently as excited about Spiller as anyone he's scouted in years.

Nix on Lynch’s future

By Chris Brown - Posted April 22, 2010 – 7:53 pm

Bills GM Buddy Nix was asked about the future of Marshawn Lynch in light of the selection of C.J. Spiller ninth overall.

“It doesn’t change a thing,” said Nix of Lynch’s status on the roster. “We intend for him to be here. Spiller’s a hybrid.”

The Bills see Spiller as a Reggie Bush or Percy Harvin type player. One that will get his share of touches, but not always via the hand off. More to come on the home page at Buffalobills.com.

Tags: 2010 NFL Draft, C.J. Spiller, Marshawn Lynch

Nix on Spiller

By Chris Brown - Posted April 22, 2010 – 7:48 pm

Buddy Nix said, “There’s only one Spiller” and Buffalo’s GM is happy to have him.

“He’s a playmaker that creates field position and scores points. We need excitement, someone that can make things happen on his own.”

So Spiller will be playing the slash job

Interesting. I guess Spiller will play WR as well as be a returnman. I'm liking the pick even more.

As for some saying the Bills should have taken a QB, after Bradford there wasn't a QB worth a high 1st rounder. As for DE, please. They have Edwards, Stroud, and Johnson there. Should they have taken a LT or NT? Depends on their grades, since they would have been taking the 3rd best one at each position.

Look, can't we just support the new guy? Half the board is going to piss and moan no matter who we took, Clausen, Bulaga, Davis, Williams or other.

ill definitely support Spiller. it's the FO i'm questioning.

i HOPE cj has a long, HOF-worthy career. i just dont think he was the right pick given our needs. doesnt mean i want him to fail.

it's like how, just because someone is against the war, doesnt mean they dont support, and appreciate, and pray for the troops.

I'm very happy with the pick. Nix said they would take the best available player. That's what they did. I find no fault in that.

Exactly, Spiller might have been best overall as a playmaker in the draft but given the fact that the far and away best DT's and OT's were off the board, the Bills got the most exciting player in this years draft.

I don't see any reason why the Bills should have even entertained a trade when the most exciting player is sitting on the board for them. Also, why take a player that might have been rated between 20 and 30 but just because it's a need position, they should reach is mind boggling.

Great pick and one hell of a football player coming to the Bills!!!

So Adrian Peterson, LT, and Chris Johnson were the wrong picks. RIght. You're focusing too much on preconceptions about your view of the structure of today's game and too little on the role that talent plays. Modrak knows talent (he wanted Cushing and Cutler but was overruled) and he was apparently as excited about Spiller as anyone he's scouted in years.

Adrian Peterson didn't win a playoff game till they got a QB in there.

Johnson hasn't done anything in the playoffs either.

They're not "wrong" picks because both teams were in far better shape than the Bills when they picked them. But the idea that you need a superstar RB to win a super bowl is OLD SCHOOL THINKING. You don't. In fact, recent history shows you can get equal production (if not more) by using a RB by committe approach with lesser paid players.

That's the whole !@#$ing point.

I'm very happy with the pick. Nix said they would take the best available player. That's what they did. I find no fault in that.

Picking a RB minus an OL is the same as taking DB's without a front 7. They make plays based on the people in front of them. Obviously Spiller can do some things, but he'll be wasted behind perhaps the worst OL in the NFL.

Picking a RB minus an OL is the same as taking DB's without a front 7. They make plays based on the people in front of them. Obviously Spiller can do some things, but he'll be wasted behind perhaps the worst OL in the NFL.

Stop, stop making sense. I just knew it was going to be a perimeter player.