Clausen vs an OT

Snopple

With Donovan McNabb now a Redskin, it certainly increases the likely hood that Clausen will still be on the board when the Bills pick at number 9.

Now supposing one or more of the four OTs that are projected to be picked in the top 10 is also available, what would you do if you were in Buddy Nixes shoes?

For example, if the choice was between Bulaga and Clausen, who would you pick?

With Donovan McNabb now a Redskin, it certainly increases the likely hood that Clausen will still be on the board when the Bills pick at number 9.

Now supposing one or more of the four OTs that are projected to be picked in the top 10 is also available, what would you do if you were in Buddy Nixes shoes?

If Nix thinks Clausen is the guy, then it's a no-brainer. Then again any QB is just going to get killed behind our line.

PTR

If Nix thinks Clausen is the guy, then it's a no-brainer. Then again any QB is just going to get killed behind our line.

PTR

Yeah, couldn't phrase it any better. If we do go with Clausen, I'd like to see an LT iln the second ... Saffold, maybe?

A QB can make an offensive line look better than it is. The same can not be said in reverse. The Bills have not had an opportunity like this since Kelly was drafted in the mid 80s. Unless the guy has killed someone or beaten women and children then the Bills should draft Clausen and send the Redskins a gift basket for making the trade for the overrated McNabb.

A QB can make an offensive line look better than it is. The same can not be said in reverse. The Bills have not had an opportunity like this since Kelly was drafted in the mid 80s. Unless the guy has killed someone or beaten women and children then the Bills should draft Clausen and send the Redskins a gift basket for making the trade for McNabb.

While it's more likely that Clausen will be available, it is also equally more likely that one less premier LT will be available - the Redskins are in the market for one now. We could be looking at 3 or 4 LTs off of the board by the time #9 rolls around. Not good, IMO... We need a LT before a QB.

I am not entirely sure the Redskins won't draft Clausen anyway. If they believe in Clausen, they may trade down a few spots, pick up Clausen and an extra pick to be used for an OL. The McNabb deal gives them breathing room for a couple of years while Clausen learns. I realize this implies that they would have spent two high picks on QBs this year, but a trade-down would still give them an option to draft OL.

A QB can make an offensive line look better than it is. The same can not be said in reverse. The Bills have not had an opportunity like this since Kelly was drafted in the mid 80s. Unless the guy has killed someone or beaten women and children then the Bills should draft Clausen and send the Redskins a gift basket for making the trade for the overrated McNabb.

+1

I guess what the real question is.....do you think Clausen can be a legit starter in the NFL

AND

How does he compare to the QB's we have on the roster

I personally would take Clausen and draft/trade our 2nd rounder for a OT. What happens if this team actually plays well and drafts out of position to pick up a QB next year?

If you are actually TRYING to improve then you dont draft in the top 10 picks every year....you gotta take advantage of that when you can.

CLAUSEN

The line is the most important thing on either side of the ball. No one can do their job on either side of the ball without the Line. A team can still win with an avg. QB(see Dilfer), they can also win with an Avg. RB(see Patriots). As far as WR goes, I'm with Parcelles as far as their importance is- maybe one of the least important positions on the field.

Guys,

Nix has already said you can't do it all in one year. If Clauson is there, you HAVE to take him. And not take him for 2010, you take him for the future. Build through the best players...one at a time.

We don't "have" to take him if he's a reach at #9. I guess Buddy knows best, but we need OL and DL and we need them pronto or no QB will be left standing and we'll never get off the field on 3rd down. We need wide bodies!

Their will be one of three premier LT prospects available at nine. Okung will almost certainly not make it to us, so Baluga, Trent Williams or (in theor) Anthony Davis will be there. I might pick Clausen over Davis, given the concerns I've been hearing about him since the season ended, but if Baluga or Williams are there, its a no-brainer.

I think the Bills have to roll the dice, take a chance in rnd 2 for a QB. I don't see much that would impel them to pick a QB in rnd 1.

If Shanahan and Holmgren don't want Claussen, I don't know why the Bills would. He doesn't strike as a Buffalo kind of guy either. I have no problems with a trade for Campbell, OT/DT in Round 1 and Tebow in Round 2. Campbell is the starter and use Tebow as a halfback and short yardage/goal line QB.

Their will be one of three premier LT prospects available at nine. Okung will almost certainly not make it to us, so Baluga, Trent Williams or (in theor) Anthony Davis will be there. I might pick Clausen over Davis, given the concerns I've been hearing about him since the season ended, but if Baluga or Williams are there, its a no-brainer.

U sure?...I think Detroit takes Okung...and Washington takes Bulaga...KC takes Williams...then Davis or Campbell go to Oakland...if this is the case...and we don't trade up and get one of the top three tackles...might as well trade out of the first round all together and start thinking about next years draft because this one will be a FAILURE...and Davis or Campbell even if they make it to us aren't worth it...so...again you don't land Okung, Bulaga, or Williams...the draft is a complete failure...if you don't trade up for Bulaga or Okung but luck out and snag Williams...it's an OK draft...

Unless we bring in Gaither in a trade

either the #1 or #2 pick has to be used for on a Qb with the other on an OT. We have seen what theQB's can do with a "premier" LT. Last year was the first year they played without Pro Bowler Jason "Greatest LT ever" Peters and there was no difference in how they ended the season, so its not like just getting a premier LT is going to make this team a playoff contender next season

If the Bills like what they see in Clausen, and its more then what they see in whatever LT's are available, they will take him. If not, they will take whomever they feel is the best player available and maybe wait til the second to get Tebow or McCoy in the 2nd (or trade up into the late 1st)

No matter who the Bills chose at 9 people are going to rip them apart for not chosing another position.

I do not care who they take at 9 (minus DB WR) as long as they can make an impact this year.

In Buddy i trust, and will untill he proves me wrong!

U sure?...I think Detroit takes Okung...and Washington takes Bulaga...KC takes Williams...then Davis or Campbell go to Oakland...if this is the case...and we don't trade up and get one of the top three tackles...might as well trade out of the first round all together and start thinking about next years draft because this one will be a FAILURE...and Davis or Campbell even if they make it to us aren't worth it...so...again you don't land Okung, Bulaga, or Williams...the draft is a complete failure...if you don't trade up for Bulaga or Okung but luck out and snag Williams...it's an OK draft...

Exactly...I posted MONTHS ago that we should be moving to get Gaither from the Ravens, and if we got him for a second round pick, I'd be pleased. This crew hasn't shown the gumption to move on this front, so I imagine that ninny Shanahan may pick him up.

You're scenario about picking the top three tackles is scary in that it makes so much sense. If that should happen I would hope we would trade down or even address some defensive issue with the number one pick. We'd have some really fine choices. Actually if all three of the tackles were gone, I could live with us taking Clausen.

why people want clausen so damn bad? i really dont think he going to be a good QB in NFL i dont know..this year draft of QB's aint that great...I really think the bills should draft a LT at 9 if they still on the board..but its up to buddy and i trust our new front office to draft that person..

I'm torn.. nervous about yet another QB from California. Nothing against CA since I live here.. We just don't have the best track record.. Maybe the 4th time is time is the charm?

I am still leaning toward Bulaga at #9.

Guys,

Nix has already said you can't do it all in one year. If Clauson is there, you HAVE to take him. And not take him for 2010, you take him for the future. Build through the best players...one at a time.

No, you don't HAVE to take him. Clausen is definitely not an elite QB prospect. I'll grant that he is an OK to good QB

prospect, but comparing him to Kelly coming out of school is off the mark (IMHO).

Guys,

Clausen isn't necessarly the best player if he's there. As most rank WR Dez Bryant a better talent then Clausen and IF all the LTs are off the board odds are Bryant would be there. So then do you take the QB or the WR? I say the WR since to me Lee Evans isn't a true #1 WR and Bryant has the chance to be a great one. Then I say take a QB later in the draft. Yet to me if all the LTs are gone and we have to chose between Bryant, Clausen and X then I say trade down and hopefully X is there where we trade down to. As let's look at the 49ers who took Crabtree last year and looks like Alex Smith might have turned things around.

The name is Clausen. James Clausen.

The reverse can ABSOLUTELY be said. We have seen good lines and ****ty QBs win championships. I don't think you can say the reverse of that. I have seen good QBs and above average lines win but not a below average line. People get so caught up in order of importance and forget that both need to be above average to go anywere. If you actually wan't to win games they both need to be great.

If any team drafts a QB in the first ten picks in the draft, Claussen would be at #9, they will play their rookie year. There is only one exception that I am aware of in the last as many years as I can remember and that was Phillip Rivers who sat behind Drew Brees. Please don't give me the lets draft a QB at 9 and let him sit for a year or two while we try to build an OL. It doesn't happen in today's NFL.

We don't want to "create" the next David Carr.

I'm torn.. nervous about yet another QB from California. Nothing against CA since I live here.. We just don't have the best track record.. Maybe the 4th time is time is the charm?

I am still leaning toward Bulaga at #9.

Claussen played in Indiana, not exactly a warm weather local. If they play their cards correctly it might be possible to pick both him and a LT later in the first round. After 9, there really aren't too many teams that are needy at QB now with all of the trades that have happened. You might be able to move down from 9 to the mid teens and pick your tackle (this is where the 4 rated tackle should go) and then use the picks you garned to move right back into the first round to grab Claussen. It would take some wheeling but it could be done. That way the Bills would have their tackle and QB. It does take a partner for the 9 spot but players that teams covet will also be there. That would make me extremely happy. Or screw it and trade for gaither and pick Claussen at 9 and go out for Margaritas

If Shanahan and Holmgren don't want Claussen, I don't know why the Bills would. He doesn't strike as a Buffalo kind of guy either. I have no problems with a trade for Campbell, OT/DT in Round 1 and Tebow in Round 2. Campbell is the starter and use Tebow as a halfback and short yardage/goal line QB.

Taking McNabb doesn't mean they didn't like Clausen. It's two different situations.

First, taking McNabb instead leaves them with a first-rounder, so they can fill both their big needs by picking up one of the top two LTs. Second, McNabb means they can be competitive this year, but for only three or four years. If you think you can be competitive now, you take McNabb. That's the difference.

Clausen, like virtually all rookie QBs, will take a while to become seasoned. We're in a position where that doesn't hurt us, because there's no way we're competitive this year or probably even next ... too many holes.

Huh? Overrated? Lets see, he has only produced at a very high level despite throwing to scrubs, literally scrubs, for almost his entire career. The only legitimate WR he had was TO for a little over a season...oh, he also managed to take his team to the SB that year WITHOUT TO in the entire playoffs and throwing to clowns all post season. Jackson was the only other WR he had and he only got to play with him the last 2 seasons in which one was his rookie year and then this past year he had injury issues.

McNabb is totally underrated...there is only 1 QB who has had equally bad talent at WR who had been able to accomplish more than him and thats Brady who won 3 SB's with mostly scrub WR's, but even his scrubs were still better than anything McNabb has ever had to work with.

Most importantly, is the Eagles were never carried by the D only like say Balt when they won the SB. Every year the Eagles have been putting points up despite the hacks starting at WR. McNabb has had scrubs like Stallworth, Thrash, Brown, FedEx, Curtis, etc. who most wouldnt have even been a #2 on just about every other team but all were at some point his #1 WR going INTO the season.

The reverse can ABSOLUTELY be said. We have seen good lines and ****ty QBs win championships. I don't think you can say the reverse of that. I have seen good QBs and above average lines win but not a below average line. People get so caught up in order of importance and forget that both need to be above average to go anywere. If you actually wan't to win games they both need to be great.

If any team drafts a QB in the first ten picks in the draft, Claussen would be at #9, they will play their rookie year. There is only one exception that I am aware of in the last as many years as I can remember and that was Phillip Rivers who sat behind Drew Brees. Please don't give me the lets draft a QB at 9 and let him sit for a year or two while we try to build an OL. It doesn't happen in today's NFL.

We don't want to "create" the next David Carr.

The Bills had a Pro Bowl LT, and when they dealt him away (and had a revolving door of street FA's making up the line for most of the season), they finished with teh same results, another mediocre season and a top 10 pick.

The Bills had a Pro Bowl LT, and when they dealt him away (and had a revolving door of street FA's making up the line for most of the season), they finished with teh same results, another mediocre season and a top 10 pick.

But did Trent Edwards look better in 2009 or 2010?

Huh? Overrated? Lets see, he has only produced at a very high level despite throwing to scrubs, literally scrubs, for almost his entire career. The only legitimate WR he had was TO for a little over a season...oh, he also managed to take his team to the SB that year WITHOUT TO in the entire playoffs and throwing to clowns all post season. Jackson was the only other WR he had and he only got to play with him the last 2 seasons in which one was his rookie year and then this past year he had injury issues.

McNabb is totally underrated...there is only 1 QB who has had equally bad talent at WR who had been able to accomplish more than him and thats Brady who won 3 SB's with mostly scrub WR's, but even his scrubs were still better than anything McNabb has ever had to work with.

Most importantly, is the Eagles were never carried by the D only like say Balt when they won the SB. Every year the Eagles have been putting points up despite the hacks starting at WR. McNabb has had scrubs like Stallworth, Thrash, Brown, FedEx, Curtis, etc. who most wouldnt have even been a #2 on just about every other team but all were at some point his #1 WR going INTO the season.

Dude, his team just traded him to a division rival. Get the feeling that even THEY don't think all that much of him?

Yet fans here like you still think he is this great qb. He was great in 2004, and he was a very good qb before that year. But since then he has been an above average qb that continues to get adoration as if he were still a top five guy. He's not. He's overrated and the Bills are much better for him not wanting to come here.

I would much rather have the unknown rookie qb in Clausen, then the known close to a has been and who never won the big one even when he was good in McNabb.

either the #1 or #2 pick has to be used for on a Qb with the other on an OT. We have seen what theQB's can do with a "premier" LT. Last year was the first year they played without Pro Bowler Jason "Greatest LT ever" Peters and there was no difference in how they ended the season, so its not like just getting a premier LT is going to make this team a playoff contender next season

If the Bills like what they see in Clausen, and its more then what they see in whatever LT's are available, they will take him. If not, they will take whomever they feel is the best player available and maybe wait til the second to get Tebow or McCoy in the 2nd (or trade up into the late 1st)

What LT allowed the most sacks in the NFL in 2008?...look it up...you'll find out why we moved that fat lazy spineless useless BUM