Bills Sign Andra Davis

McClane

positive - who does he replace? likely Mitchell?

Mitchell played OLB since he's been in BLo. He can play inside, but he played outside.

No reason for him to move back inside now. Davis fills a spot at ILB until they draft

someone else who can win the job from him.

Guys....he is a starter

They dont even know if Schrobel is coming back.....Mitchell will end up staying outside with Maybin on the other side

I would prefer Maybin OUTSIDE the stadium while the game is going on

Mitchell played OLB since he's been in BLo. He can play inside, but he played outside.

No reason for him to move back inside now. Davis fills a spot at ILB until they draft

someone else who can win the job from him.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/03/16/k...ve-competition/

If free agent visitor Andra Davis ends up getting something done with the Bills, inside linebackers Paul Posluszny and Kawika Mitchell could have some veteran competition.

Davis has been an inside LB for all of his time in a 3-4 scheme, mostly on the strong side. He would be some of the stiffest competition those two incumbent backers would face since they’ve been in Buffalo. Of course Davis knows competing with those two linebackers would not be an easy task either.

“If it worked out I’d just come here and compete,” he said. ”They’ve got some good backers here already. I bring experience and leadership and I would just come here and compete.”

The coaching staff has intimate working knowledge of Davis’ game, since defensive coordinator George Edwards was his linebackers coach in Cleveland in 2004.

If he in fact comes to an agreement with the Bills it would be one of the more interesting training camp competitions, but this is what GM Buddy Nix wanted to develop on the roster right away. His motto of competition makes everyone better is evident with this free agent visit. And what they also create is dependable depth, something the LB position has lacked the past few years.

This made my day for sure! I like to think of this as a well thought out decision since it comes some time after free agency opened. Great move...what's next? Edwards? Does this mean no McClain even if all good OTs and 2 QBs are gone? Who moves outside? Kawika? Our draft seems to be taking shape!

I love this if for no other reason than it provides competition, and players will actually have to play for their spots. . No more dick moron making Keith Ellison the "starter" and bringing in some UDFAs as "competition".

I love this if for no other reason than it provides competition, and players will actually have to play for their spots. . No more dick moron making Keith Ellison the "starter" and bringing in some UDFAs as "competition".

And it means no longer signing linebackers on Tuesday to start on Sunday (see Chris Draft).

Denver Post: Andra Davis lands in Buffalo

Both this blog and the ESPN Insider blurb make the point that Davis' experience in the 3-4 was invaluable in teaching the scheme to the rest of the Broncos 'backers last offseason. And you'll love this from Football Outsiders (via ESPN): "Davis actually led all inside/middle linebackers by making his average run tackle after the ballcarrier gained just 2.0 yards. "

Didn't see this posted, but I like the move even more...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...ba-4913e6abfaed

The veteran linebacker talked about the franchise’s tradition as well as their move to a 3-4 defensive scheme as some of the aspects that convinced him to visit the Bills, but defensive coordinator George Edwards was one of the club's best selling points having been Davis' linebackers coach in Cleveland in 2004.

“It was a huge factor in this decision," said Davis of Edwards being Buffalo's defensive coordinator “We had a great relationship in Cleveland and now we have the chance to do it all over again. He believes in me and I believe in him and I know we can get it done. The whole time I was in there we just kept talking about the defensive players that we have on this squad right now and with his expertise and my experience and the guys’ playmaking abilities we can definitely turn this thing around.”

Davis is also very familiar with Bills outside linebackers coach Bob Sanders, who coached him for three of his collegiate seasons at the University of Florida.

:ph34r:

This is great news IMO...he is a very underrated LB and is a great addition to a weak spot on this team.

Thought the same thing wherever he played.

Kind of reminds me of London Fletcher in his intensity on the field. I've always liked Andra Davis. Glad we could get this done.

Like the signing a lot. Scratch McClain off your lists.

McClain will be a good player, but I couldn't see justifying picking him at 9, when the Bills have needs at LT and NT. Now that (drafting an ILB at 9) is no longer a concern.

Didn't see this posted, but I like the move even more...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...ba-4913e6abfaed

The veteran linebacker talked about the franchise’s tradition as well as their move to a 3-4 defensive scheme as some of the aspects that convinced him to visit the Bills, but defensive coordinator George Edwards was one of the club's best selling points having been Davis' linebackers coach in Cleveland in 2004.

“It was a huge factor in this decision," said Davis of Edwards being Buffalo's defensive coordinator “We had a great relationship in Cleveland and now we have the chance to do it all over again. He believes in me and I believe in him and I know we can get it done. The whole time I was in there we just kept talking about the defensive players that we have on this squad right now and with his expertise and my experience and the guys’ playmaking abilities we can definitely turn this thing around.”

Davis is also very familiar with Bills outside linebackers coach Bob Sanders, who coached him for three of his collegiate seasons at the University of Florida.

:ph34r:

I didn't know about those connections we had with our coaching staff, but now that I do I really like this signing. Good job Buddy and co. :wallbash:

Like the signing a lot. Scratch McClain off your lists.

I agree.

McClain will be a good player, but I couldn't see justifying picking him at 9, when the Bills have needs at LT and NT. Now that (drafting an ILB at 9) is no longer a concern.

Exactly. Not worth it for the Bills at this point.

back up Mitchell & Poz, yes, replace, no. is my bet.

There isn't a LB in Buffalo that this guy stands behind on the depth chart. Either Kawika gets kicked outside into the Schobel/Maybin mix, or he backs up Davis.

Great pick-up for Buddy and Doug. Andra is a player's player.

There isn't a LB in Buffalo that this guy stands behind on the depth chart. Either Kawika gets kicked outside into the Schobel/Maybin mix, or he backs up Davis.

Great pick-up for Buddy and Doug. Andra is a player's player.

Mitchell definitely gets kicked (back) to the outside. But whether he's back to 100% is the real question.

Coaches told him he can compete with Veek and Poz for the starting job inside...good deal...I like Poz and Davis inside and maybe Veek back outside...We need more edge guys...We should be moving for Porter...but a big ticket to add to the mix with Shobel and Maybin already making good money and being counted on for edge ability...but can they cover anyone ever?...we will have to wait and see...Davis is a stud and it's a great signing...the middle of our defense is getting stronger...we got the secondary settled...just the questions at NT though Stroud is capable...and the OLB's...

I would like to see us try and grab Spikes in the second still. Davis and Spikes on the inside with Poz and Scobel/Maybin on the outside sounds good to me! Pipe dream probably but we'd have pretty good depth too. Like I said it's a pipe dream but it would be fun to watch that tandem I think.

Reminds me of London Fletcher

How? He is large slower LB that relies on strength and taking direct angles. London is undersized small LB that relied on speed and runs around the blockers. Can't think of a much different type of Lb to compare him too.