Who is the GREATEST Bill of All-Time ??

papazoid

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: i'm talking players only.....on-field.

i'm going to say Thurman Thomas......

League MVP.....and best all around all purpose RB to ever play the game !!

#1- Thurman

#2- Bruce

#3- O.J.

#4- Cookie

#5- Kelly

**EDIT (stolen from the "wildrabbit"):

What most fail to realize is... the Bills used the running game to set up the pass. The Bills used to run more then they threw the ball in the Kelly era. While the Bills O line was better then most, it wasn't even close to what Emmitt Smith had in Dallas.

If you go back and look at what Thurman Thomas did, 5x pro bowls-1991 NFL MVP-1992 NFL offensive player of the year.

Thurman Thomas is the only NFL player to lead the league in total yards from scrimmage for four consecutive seasons.

Now considering he almost never caught the ball while in college it is amazing that he is one of six NFL backs to have over 400 receptions and 10,000 yards rushing. He is also one of five backs to have rushed for over 1,000 yards for 8 consecutive seasons. I know I'm leaving out a bunch of playoffs stats and other stuff. Just think, this kid kept Barry Sanders on the bench in College.

The guy was like 70% of the offense in Buffalo, he gets my vote.

I like all your choices. And then I look at which of those guys would significantly change the current Bills team success, and I come up with Kelly. I would love to have any one of those guys on the current team, but Kelly brought so much to the table I have to say he is the guy. If you just go by records and Pro Bowl appearances, Bruce is the man.

#1- Thurman

#2- Bruce

#3- O.J.

#4- Cookie

#5- Kelly

I put Kelly above Cookie and O.J. If you had to choose right now..who would you take, Kelly, Cookie or OJ? The answer is easy.

1. O. J. Simpson-gained 2003 yards when everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball.

2. Jim Kelly-Combined talent, leadership and toughness that has rarely been seen in this league.

3. Bruce Smith-Top 3 all time at his position. Best ever at his postion.

4. Thurman Thomas-One of the top all around backs ever

5. Kent Hull-quarterbacked the O-Line during Super Bowl run.

6. Steve Tasker-best Special Teams player in NFL history

7. Andre Reed-Top 10 receiver all time-clutch player and tough over the middle

8. Darryl Talley-Heart and soul of the defense during Super Bowl years-most underrated Bill ever!

9. Phil Hanson-second most underrated player ever-Bruce got attention and benefitted from Hansen being on other end

10. Fred Smerlas-best Nose Tackle of the 80's.

I am sure there were some great players in the 1960's but I am not old enough to remember them, only based on video and what I have read.

Fixed! :censored:

(IMO, Hansen benefited from Bruce, not the other way around.)

You didn't prove anything. You just proved he was more involved in the passing game; not a better running back. Both Smith and Sanders were measurably better players than Thomas when it came to toting the rock. As for blocking, he did become a pretty good blocker later in his career, but in his prime years he was average (like most great backs in their prime). In any event, Thurman, as good as he was, was a pale shadow of the juice.

EDIT: I suppose it's arguable that he was the equal of Emmitt Smith for a couple/few seasons, but it's hard to sustain that argument when looking at their entire careers. As for Sanders, you'd have be a blind man to think that Thomas was as good as him. I mean, he's not even in the same league. Sanders is comparable with OJ, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers (before the injuries), and Red Grange; Thurman is comparable with Franco Harris, Lydell Mitchell. and Marshall Faulk.

If you believe a RB's only job is to carry the ball then, yes, Sanders was a lot better than Thomas. Thomas did keep Barry Sanders on the bench in college though. As for Emmitt Smith, both he and Thomas averaged 4.2 yards per carry so the nod goes to Thomas. JMO

With out a doubt, the heart and soul of the greatest Bills team, Darryl Talley.

#1- Thurman

#2- Bruce

#3- O.J.

#4- Cookie

#5- Kelly

**EDIT (stolen from the "wildrabbit"):

What most fail to realize is... the Bills used the running game to set up the pass. The Bills used to run more then they threw the ball in the Kelly era. While the Bills O line was better then most, it wasn't even close to what Emmitt Smith had in Dallas.

If you go back and look at what Thurman Thomas did, 5x pro bowls-1991 NFL MVP-1992 NFL offensive player of the year.

Thurman Thomas is the only NFL player to lead the league in total yards from scrimmage for four consecutive seasons.

Now considering he almost never caught the ball while in college it is amazing that he is one of six NFL backs to have over 400 receptions and 10,000 yards rushing. He is also one of five backs to have rushed for over 1,000 yards for 8 consecutive seasons. I know I'm leaving out a bunch of playoffs stats and other stuff. Just think, this kid kept Barry Sanders on the bench in College.

The guy was like 70% of the offense in Buffalo, he gets my vote.

Bob Knight. Nice. Jim Kelly does evoke the best of the Bills past. (well in my opinion, but that is up for debate still in my mind. Thurman, Andre, Tasker, Bruce...ect... Hull, Ritcher, Wolford, Beebe, Ballard, Bennet, Talley, ect...i could go on and on... I have to admit i'm quite a bit buzzed. I'm sure some people on here post buzzed too but i admit it. Your Bob Knight icon caught my attention tho cause i worked with his son (on his show) for quite a while. i'm still good friends with him. Please excuse me for my lack of puncuation and for proper spelling and such. a bit buzzed. anyhoo, In many ways i wish i had been a Bills fan longer than i have been (been a hard core Bills fan since 1988). I have read thru the posts from many of you long timers for quite some time. I haven't posted much. But i wish i had seen the games you had seen in their hayday previous to their 4 Superbowl appearances. I still think i am the ONLY hard core Bufallo Bills fan in San Luis Obispo, California. I've seen 3 others in this fine college town. But I think i'm the only one standing from what i've experienced. And I will continue to stand. This is such a buzzed post. Well take it for what it's worth. And if it's not worth your time then no need to reply. Hard Core Bills fans reside from all corners of this Earth.

Go Bills!!!!!

Um, yeah.

It sounds like you are looking for a reply and I don't want to disrespect you here, but I'm not really sure what you are talking about...

P.S- It's Ted Knight.

I'd have to say, in terms of impact on the field and the playoffs (and Super Bowls) they brought, it would have to be between 2 players: Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly.

Although Bruce is my all-time favorite football player, period...I would have to say that Jim Kelly was perhaps the greatest Bill of all time.

OJ Simpson - everyone else a distant 2nd.

regarding Thurman thomas I can argue he's only the 4th best RB we ever had behind Cookie & OJ & Joe Cribbs

Cribbs was 4 yrs and 4 probowls....returned punts and led the Bills in both receiving and rushing in 1983.

Thurman had good fortune to come along as the RB in the no huddle....while Thurman was taken out of the game on 3rd downs his rookie year....joe Cribbs was running & receiving and returning punts to a start in the pro bowl his rookie year starting alongside earl campbell...

In general I think the players from the Knox era are a bit overlooked when it comes to all time selections

Cribbs better than Therman? what a laugh.

Best Bills ever:

1. OJ - Voted Best Football Player of the 70's by SI.

2. Kelly - HoF

3. Bruce - HoF

4. Therman - HoF

5. Cookie - Insane talent, size and speed.

6. Andre - Future HoF

7. Billy Shaw - HoF and All Time AFL Team

8. Joe D - HoF

9. Tom Sestak - All time AFL Team

These guys deserve some recognition in this discussion.

1. Jim Braxton

2. Robert James

3. Tony Greene

4. Jerry Butler

Recognized on the All Time Bills Team. None are All Time AFL or NFL. James and Butler might have been had injuries not shortened their careeers.

These guys deserve some recognition in this discussion.

1. Jim Braxton

2. Robert James

3. Tony Greene

4. Jerry Butler

Thank You. On a pound for pound basis, I would argue Robert James. It is a shame you have to play on a winner to get recognition. Pound for pound, Chandler's value is also right up there.

O.J. Simpson had the greatest season of any nfl player ever in 1973,,, rushing for over 2000 yards in a 14 game season on a mediocre team.

without Jack Kemp, we on this message board would not be taking comfort in the fact that the Bills actually do have some championship titles.

OJ's 1975 season was more impressive than what he did in 1973

#1- Thurman

#2- Bruce

#3- O.J.

#4- Cookie

#5- Kelly

In the early 90s I would often watch long periods of games focusing exclusively on the play of Bruce Smith. Here's how it went. Opposing QB starts his walk toward the center and immediately begins to check out where and how Bruce is lining up. Gets under center and starts the count. QB makes first look at Bruce while under center. Looks at Bruce again. And again. And again just before the snap. Snaps the ball. Bruce is at least double teamed. Whole left side of the line gets crashed in almost instantaneously by Bruce. The best they can do is hang on and hope the ball is gone soon enough. This went on play after play year after year. It was just ridiculous. I used think constantly "I can't believe this guy is playing for my team!" Even though the announcers would always commend Bruce's play, usually after he made an obvious big play, which was several times a game, I often wondered why no one seemed to see what I was seeing. That just about every play an offense ran was predicated first on how Bruce was going to be addressed. I used to watch Reggie White games very closely to try and identify evidence of this measure of domination in terms of the impact he had on an offensive game plan, and I'm sorry, it just wasn't there. Not even close. Teams used to try to take advantage of Bruce's first step and run draws to Bruce's side. Not too long into his career, Bruce was able to stop the rush on a dime, obscenely change direction mid-stride, and make a play on the ball carrier.