Who is the GREATEST Bill of All-Time ??

papazoid

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good list. Brown was the only RB that was better than OJ. If you had seen them play there wouldn't be any question about it. Lets not forget OJ didn't play on good teams either. They were very mediocre teams.

If you go to Chicago they will probably have a hard time naming the Bills QB's when OJ was there as well.

The other thing that needs to be kept in mind about OJ is he started out with a dimwit coach that had no idea how to use him. 3 years were wasted that way. To put it in perspective, they flashed a stat on the screen during the pro bowl about Peterson, Emmitt, and a handful of other guys getting 4000 yds in their first 3 years; OJ had less than half that total. It wasn't until Saban came back that he was used properly.

This is from the 80's on-

Best Bill Ever easily Bruce Smith on top of his game for a long extended period of time blocking schemes set just to contend with him......most important Bill - Jim Kelly brought confidence and got the ball rolling to other good players..........Most underated Bill Eric Moulds- this poor soul has cappy qb's almost every year but was still very productive......most over rated Phil Hanson - constantly drawing single coverage many times the TE -beat someone bro your singled up every snap

I have read every post, and in my opinion there are four you pick'm choices. Kelly, Smith, Thomas, Shaw,Simpson. They are all in the hall of fame. Greatest player? Gilchrist, but three years, all AFL, no hall of fame. On the next level, Kemp, Sestak, Cribbs, and a passle of other very very good players. The Greatest would have to come from those in the Hall of Fame.

My choice has to be Smith. The four superbowl teams had great offense, kelly, thomas, reed. The defense was outstanding but the greatest lineman was in a 3-4 with no major stars (okay Talley was close). I'll give it to Bruce.

UPDATE...UNOFFICIAL.....

Bruce - 28 votes

O.J.- 25 votes

Kelly- 15 votes

Thurman- 5 votes

At least according to these articles.....and for discussion purposes only.....

O.J. is ranked the 2nd best RB in NFL history (behind jim brown):

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6907909//

Bruce is ranked the 2nd best DE in NFL history (behind Reggie White):

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/3...fl_history.html

Kelly would not make the top ten in NFL history.....i put him around 15th best.

Thurman is judged against "pure" runners....and does not get the credit he desrves for his receiving all-purpose yards.

We are not comparing our guys to the rest of the league. Simply asked who was the best Bills player ever? No other QB that played for the Bills could do what Kelly did, period. Thurman, Cribbs, OJ all are interchangeable for success. The only other player that would be hard to change would be Bruce. Schobel, Ben Williams, McDole are very good but not in the same class. My vote remains with Kelly, he was just that much better than Ferg, Kemp or Lamonica. It is great that we as fans have seen so many great players that we can sit here and argue this. What do Detroit fans do?

We are not comparing our guys to the rest of the league. Simply asked who was the best Bills player ever? No other QB that played for the Bills could do what Kelly did, period. Thurman, Cribbs, OJ all are interchangeable for success. The only other player that would be hard to change would be Bruce. Schobel, Ben Williams, McDole are very good but not in the same class. My vote remains with Kelly, he was just that much better than Ferg, Kemp or Lamonica. It is great that we as fans have seen so many great players that we can sit here and argue this. What do Detroit fans do?

I thought I'd seen it all.

The only three you could consider would be OJ, Bruce and MAYBE Thurmal. I think you have to go OJ.

Okay, considering only on-field performance, and none of this other junk, I say:

1- OJ Simpson

2- Bruce Smith

3- Jim Kelly

4- Thurman Thomas

All of the outside factors considered, in picking all-time greatest Bill:

1- Jim Kelly

2- OJ Simpson

3- Bruce Smith

4- Jerry Butler

5- Thurman Thomas

Good list. Brown was the only RB that was better than OJ. If you had seen them play there wouldn't be any question about it. Lets not forget OJ didn't play on good teams either. They were very mediocre teams.

If you go to Chicago they will probably have a hard time naming the Bills QB's when OJ was there as well.

That is true, but no matter what order you list O.J., Brown or Payton, Emmitt Smith isn't in the same universe as those 3.

OJ Simpson - everyone else a distant 2nd.

regarding Thurman thomas I can argue he's only the 4th best RB we ever had behind Cookie & OJ & Joe Cribbs

Cribbs was 4 yrs and 4 probowls....returned punts and led the Bills in both receiving and rushing in 1983.

Thurman had good fortune to come along as the RB in the no huddle....while Thurman was taken out of the game on 3rd downs his rookie year....joe Cribbs was running & receiving and returning punts to a start in the pro bowl his rookie year starting alongside earl campbell...

In general I think the players from the Knox era are a bit overlooked when it comes to all time selections

May have only been the 4th best running back but he was the best from scrimmage (running and pass receiving) for four

years! All purpose yards. I vote for TT.

I'm not denying that Thurman was a great player. But remember: there's the ol' eyeball test. He simply -- and very clearly -- wasn't as good as Smith or Sanders. I don't think anyone outside of Bills' fans would argue that he was better than either of those guys. Still, he was a great player.

I thought this question was about the best Bills player not the best NFL player. What does Emmit and Barry have to do with Buffalo?

Recognized on the All Time Bills Team. None are All Time AFL or NFL. James and Butler might have been had injuries not shortened their careeers.

Robert James was killer until he got hurt. Tony Greene was great at his position and he was a very decent person besides. I met him and he was a gracious player, talking with people and signing autographs with no complaints.

I thought this question was about the best Bills player not the best NFL player. What does Emmit and Barry have to do with Buffalo?

I think the original point was that Bruce was better at his position than Thurman was at his. Bruce is arguably the best DE ever. Thurman can't claim that he is arguably the best RB ever.

Having said that, my 'eyeball test' shows that Thurman was just as good as Emmitt and Barry, but in different ways. Emmitt was a truck that never seemed to get a flat. Barry was the best pure runner of our generation. Neither was as good a receiver as thurman. Thurman laid the path for guys like Faulk and L.T. RBs just weren't that versatile before Thurman came along.

I think the original point was that Bruce was better at his position than Thurman was at his. Bruce is arguably the best DE ever. Thurman can't claim that he is arguably the best RB ever.

Having said that, my 'eyeball test' shows that Thurman was just as good as Emmitt and Barry, but in different ways. Emmitt was a truck that never seemed to get a flat. Barry was the best pure runner of our generation. Neither was as good a receiver as thurman. Thurman laid the path for guys like Faulk and L.T. RBs just weren't that versatile before Thurman came along.

What I was saying was this: Thomas was not only not nearly as good as OJ, he was the third best RB in the league for most of the time that he played. And he didn't pave any paths w/regard to receiving either: Roger Craig and Lydell Mitchell (to name two) were just as good as him. Heck, even Joe Cribbs -- a very good player -- was probably his equal as a receiver. I think Thomas was an absolutely terrific player, but I simply don't think he compares as a player with either Smith or Simpson.

O.J. Simpson.

Seeing as he retired over 30 years ago, I'm gonna guess that most of the people on this discussion never saw O.J. play, and no, the old video and film do not even begin to do his greatness (as a football player) justice.

For those that didn't have the privilege of seeing him run with the ball, think of Adrian Peterson...and then imagine someone way better. Faster, more elusive, better instincts, quicker, and at least as strong although they're pretty close on that one.

Peterson reminds me of someone like Eric Dickerson who was considered the great runner of his time. O.J. was much better than either of them.

He was a combination of talents that has not been even approached since he played. The elusiveness of Gale Sayers and Tony Dorsett except faster top end and much more powerful.

He was so instinctive that he "sensed" the tacklers behind him trying to make up ground as he juked defenders still in front of him. He would then make the backside pursuers miss. No runner could feel tacklers around him at all 360 degrees. No one.

God has never created a runner remotely as talented as O.J. Simpson was.

It's a shame that he never played on a really good football team. His stats, however impressive, don't even begin to tell the story of how great a runner he was.

I can say with total certainty that there will never be a runner as good as Simpson again. Barry Sanders? A little Alfa Romeo compared to the Ferrari of Simpson. Not even remotely close.

O.J. Simpson.

Seeing as he retired over 30 years ago, I'm gonna guess that most of the people on this discussion never saw O.J. play, and no, the old video and film do not even begin to do his greatness (as a football player) justice.

For those that didn't have the privilege of seeing him run with the ball, think of Adrian Peterson...and then imagine someone way better. Faster, more elusive, better instincts, quicker, and at least as strong although they're pretty close on that one.

Peterson reminds me of someone like Eric Dickerson who was considered the great runner of his time. O.J. was much better than either of them.

He was a combination of talents that has not been even approached since he played. The elusiveness of Gale Sayers and Tony Dorsett except faster top end and much more powerful.

He was so instinctive that he "sensed" the tacklers behind him trying to make up ground as he juked defenders still in front of him. He would then make the backside pursuers miss. No runner could feel tacklers around him at all 360 degrees. No one.

God has never created a runner remotely as talented as O.J. Simpson was.

It's a shame that he never played on a really good football team. His stats, however impressive, don't even begin to tell the story of how great a runner he was.

I can say with total certainty that there will never be a runner as good as Simpson again. Barry Sanders? A little Alfa Romeo compared to the Ferrari of Simpson. Not even remotely close.

right on -a supernatural talent.I love Thurman--but come on guys...not in the same league as OJ.And I love Thurman-tremendous player. Yes those who don't pick OJ or poss Bruce just didnt see OJ play.Too young.

Remember however that the offense for OJ was BUILT for OJ. The receiver JD Hill recalled that when Saban interviewed him the issue was how he (a wide receiver) could block. The Electric Company, the game planning, the use of Braxton was never about the superbowl or even about the playoffs...it was all about getting OJ, which theoretically might get us to the playoffs. That being said he was probably the best running back (I think Cookie Gilchrist was the best back we ever had, but there isn't film enough to prove it.) of the NFL era that the Bills have ever had.

Remember however that the offense for OJ was BUILT for OJ. The receiver JD Hill recalled that when Saban interviewed him the issue was how he (a wide receiver) could block. The Electric Company, the game planning, the use of Braxton was never about the superbowl or even about the playoffs...it was all about getting OJ, which theoretically might get us to the playoffs. That being said he was probably the best running back (I think Cookie Gilchrist was the best back we ever had, but there isn't film enough to prove it.) of the NFL era that the Bills have ever had.

Before his life went bad, O.J. was seen as a pioneer as far as being a gracious teammate who shared credit. After the Jets game when he surpassed both Jim Brown's single season rushing record and eclipsed 2000 yards, O.J. insisted that the offensive blockers join him on camera to bask in the glory of the individual accomplishment. He introduced and complimented each one personally to the viewers as well as giving their nicknames.

This had never happened before. O.J. Simpson is arguably responsible for superstar skill position players in the NFL deflecting credit to their teammates. I do not recall quarterbacks or running backs ever sharing the spotlight with their blockers until O.J. Simpson did. Players were mostly all humble back then but not to the point of sharing the glory with teammates.

After Gayle Sayers scored 6 TDs in one game, he showed very little emotion...but he didn't thank his blockers, either.

I personally do not believe that our offensive line of that era was that outstanding. I saw virtually every game that OJ played and I can remember no running back who got more yards on his own than did O.J. Simpson.

The "Electric Company" were a good blocking offense, yes. But not a great one. They were very fortunate that they had the opportunity to block for O.J. Look at the highlights. Hold your block for a split second and he was gone.

I have read every post, and in my opinion there are four you pick'm choices. 1.Kelly, 2.Smith, 3.Thomas, 4.Shaw,5.Simpson. They are all in the hall of fame. Greatest player? Gilchrist, but three years, all AFL, no hall of fame. On the next level, Kemp, Sestak, Cribbs, and a passle of other very very good players. The Greatest would have to come from those in the Hall of Fame.

My choice has to be Smith. The four superbowl teams had great offense, kelly, thomas, reed. The defense was outstanding but the greatest lineman was in a 3-4 with no major stars (okay Talley was close). I'll give it to Bruce.

????