B Schottenheimer declines interview

FluffHead

All of you negtive nancies, if you read the quotes, Schotty is very happy where he is and doesn't want to jump just to get the title. He said he is finally happy after along time. It's nothing to do with the Bills. Why do Bills fans have an inferiority complex?

Would he have interviewed for the carolina job if that was open or seattle if asked or washington? How bout a really good team if they had an opening? If you can reasonablly guess "no" to these questions, then your point is valid but I'm betting you can't.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leslie Frazier is a strong candidate. Not sure why everyone is down on him. He probably is the strongest candidate we will interview, unless Jason Garrett truly is a dark horse.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a feeling people not being enamored of Leslie Frazier is because he's a Tampa-2 disciple. Say hello to corners playing 15 yards off the line of scrimmage. We been dealing with the craptastic defense for 4 years now, and people don't want any more of it. Tampa 2 is awesome of you're a dome team or a warm weather team...which we're not.

Wow...

If this is true it may very well be a new low point for this Franchise...Turned down by a decent, not great, OC with a popular last name...Incredible... :thumbsup:

Could not have said it any better.

per sportscenter

Edit: Schefter re-iterates Grimm will interview, Cowher not coming

Ralph gave him and the Jets a chance to make us look like fools, and they did just that.

However, I said last year or 2 years ago that I liked Leslie Frazier and I think he would be a good Head Coach. Yes, he has a great defense, partially that he did not build. But, he is passionate, fiery, a player's coach. He does not have the best players at every position. Yes, his defensive line is sick. Probably the best in football. Schobel can play with Jared Allen. Add a stud rookie and a solid free agents DT's, and our rotation could compete with their DT's. I think our linebacking corps is better than theirs is this year, minus EJ Henderson like it is. Especially if we move Maybin to OLB, add McClain, Spikes or another stud 'backer in the draft, or even a free agent like Derrick Johnson out in Kansas City. I would say our secondary is better than theirs is too, stats don't lie. Winfield is getting long in the tooth, and our corners have shown promise. I like Florence and we still have McKelvin. Byrd and Whitner will make up a great safety combo.

All in all...I think with the a few added pieces in the right spots, and he would probably bring some of his guys with him(ala Rex 'Fatboy' Ryan)...he would turn our defense into a top-5-7 defense in the NFL. He would just HAVE TO put the right offensive staff in place, some veteran guys who can maximize our talent in the Buffalo weather.

But, I WOULD rather have an offensive minded guy come in to take over, and bring in a good defensive staff. We need LOTS of work on the offensive side of the ball.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a feeling people not being enamored of Leslie Frazier is because he's a Tampa-2 disciple. Say hello to corners playing 15 yards off the line of scrimmage. We been dealing with the craptastic defense for 4 years now, and people don't want any more of it. Tampa 2 is awesome of you're a dome team or a warm weather team...which we're not.

ditto - 4 more years!! 4 more years!!

Leslie Frazier is a strong candidate. Not sure why everyone is down on him. He probably is the strongest candidate we will interview, unless Jason Garrett truly is a dark horse.

As has been the case in the past, and will continue to be the case going forward, until the following three things happen, it doesn't matter who is HC

1) The post-Ralph Wilson ownership situation is resolved

2) RW opens up his pocket books to show that he is committed to success

3) RW completely steps back from having influence on personnel decisions. This includes who to hire in the FO, who to draft, who to sign and who to re-sign.

It is no wonder that coaches are afraid to coach the Bills.

Though, as I've said, there are also plenty of reasons a HC should consider coming to Buffalo. I just think they are overshadowed by historical concerns.

Its been reported he has alot of similiarities to Jauron such as the tampa/cover 2 defense.I would think the team would try to distance itself from anything remotely close to resembeling Jauron.They said this is the new decade of Bills football lets not rehash the last one.If they hire Frazer season ticket sales will plummet.

The fact is that the Bills are working down a list from the most desired on down. So, if they are on the 10th candidate and the 10th guy is turning down an interview, they keep working down the list to even lesser candidates.

so Fewell was the 3rd most desired? or was he the 2nd?

Here is a different question. Was the Buddy Nix hire seen as a gigantic screw up by coaching candidates? Since Nix was hired potential candidates can't turn down interview requests fast enough.

Probably not. Realistically speaking, it most likely had more to do with Ralph's reputation as being somewhat frugile, his obvious mandate upon Nix that they wouldn't be spending as much and building through the draft, the lack of a quality QB, a relatively small market team and an uncertain future of the Bills mid to longterm viability.

If its him ticket sales will fall through the floor

what happened to coaches and player that would love to be in a REAL football town?

That all went away as soon as players and the like started making multi-millions of dollars for a 16 game season. Think about TO's contract of 6.5 million last season. That is for a 16 game season! And he wasn't even the highest paid player. They are grossly overpaid and put up on a pedestal. Look at this Cowher situation as another example. There are posters here that idolize him so much and are so desperate to get him that they would line up to blow Cowher every day if he agreed to be the Bills HC. Coaches, players, they don't give a flying !@#$ about a REAL football town. That went out decades ago my friend.

The NFL has turned into a real snobby p u s s y league, what happened to coaches and player that would love to be in a REAL football town?

Now they all want to go to warm weather cities with a night life and spas and all the other fruity crap these modern day warriors crave. Players, Coaches, pussies.

:thumbsup: I want a coach who wants to be in Buffalo, a guy who can look at the situation, as fugged up as it is, and say "I can win here"...someone with the balls....if it is Leslie Frazier, so be it...I can live with it.

Nope. Juts asking how much lower can it get when a coach of Mile Mularkey's stature decides to walk away?

Gerry, a friend of mine is a huge Jet fan, and he really does know and follow football. He is not at all sold on B. Schottenheimer, and said that many informed jet fans actually wanted him to leave.

Still, the situation bugs me. I wanted this guy to come to town if for no other reason, because he has access to father. Hate to say it but I'm pissed off about this. :thumbsup:

Gerry, a friend of mine is a huge Jet fan, and he really does know and follow football. He is not at all sold on B. Schottenheimer, and said that many informed jet fans actually wanted him to leave.

Still, the situation bugs me. I wanted this guy to come to town if for no other reason, because he has access to father. Hate to say it but I'm pissed off about this. :thumbsup:

Don't be. When we hire Russ Grimm as HC and you finally see the type of football you've been wanting to see for years (tough, hard-nosed, dominating running game and OL), you will count this day as a blessing.

Did your buddy Gerry take part in this?

http://www.petitiononline.com/FBSJets/petition.html

One man's treasure is another man's trash...sounds very familiar....

well B. Schottenheimer is aware he will be a hotter commodity the longer the Jets are in the playoffs. The Bills have gone through Phillips, Williams, Mularkey and Jauron in relatively short order. We will be losing major players to free agency, its unclear where the power for drafting and personnel will be, and the Bills owner is not long for this world and the then the new folks may move the franchise. I think B Shotts is waiting for an offer from a more viable franchise.

The more I think about this, the more I realize how dumb some posters really are. The Jets have teh best oline in football and finished 20th in total offense. They finished 31st in passing, even behind the Bills high flying air attack. They ran the ball the most times in the NFL, almost 100 more times than the 2nd place team.

This is a coach people are crying about not interviewing here??? Get a grip.

Let's not forget the last two teams they played in the regular season basically rolled over for them yet they played their starters the entire game.

San Diego is about to expose the fraud that is the NY Jets.

Don't be. When we hire Russ Grimm as HC and you finally see the type of football you've been wanting to see for years (tough, hard-nosed, dominating running game and OL), you will count this day as a blessing.

What if Russ Grimm says no thank you?

Let's not forget the last two teams they played in the regular season basically rolled over for them yet they played their starters the entire game.

Fraud?

1.Rookie Qb

2.First year head coach

3.Kris Jenkins played 6 games this season

4.Leon Washington played 7 games this season

I'd love it if the Bills were a fraud next year.

Probably not. Realistically speaking, it most likely had more to do with Ralph's reputation as being somewhat frugile, his obvious mandate upon Nix that they wouldn't be spending as much and building through the draft, the lack of a quality QB, a relatively small market team and an uncertain future of the Bills mid to longterm viability.

I think it does (and it is not just my opinion either). Not because Nix is a bad GM or a bad person, but because of the process that the team followed. It smacks of just another in a long line of knee-jerk decisions by the owner. The Bills didn't even interview outside of the organization, which was noted at the time and speaks volumes about their approach.

My thoughts exactly. It may be that doesn't want to be interviewed while he's still working on putting together a game plan and planning for a game. If he just stated call me next week, he'd still have the media bugging him every hour. So by stating he's not interested, may be away to be left alone until next week, assuming they lose.

So we're believing this one? It doesn't matter that Grimm and Cowher were said to initially turn us down and they were WRONG. Or does it matter that Lesile Fraizer was said to have turned down Seattle and once again they were WRONG. This one though we'll believe? Okay.

It bothers me because if Buddy and Marty are so tight, and if Marty thought Buddy could rebuild the talent in Buffalo, he would advise Brian that it's a good situation. Maybe Marty doesn't talk to his son about football, but I'm a little concerned that an interview wasn't scheduled.

He was promised an interview from the very beginning. That is, he was a distinct exception.

The Bills are working the list from the top candidates down per Buddy Nix himself.

Right, but we still have to wait until coaches are done with their season, or we can actually interview them. So we can't just interview our favorite candidate if we didn't have permission or if we weren't able to by rule.

I think it does (and it is not just my opinion either). Not because Nix is a bad GM or a bad person, but because of the process that the team followed. It smacks of just another in a long line of knee-jerk decisions by the owner. The Bills didn't even interview outside of the organization, which was noted at the time and speaks volumes about their approach.

Not for nothing, but aside from being employed by the team for like 10 months - Nix was an outsider. He was only here for the 2009 season...I do agree it would have been nice to see us interview people from other teams who had no or very little ties to us, but during the decade of disgrace - Nix had nothing to do with us and well..he found some awesome players for SD. Would anyones opinion change if he had not been employed with us during 2009 and then hired after? My point is is that I think most would have said, yeah he's old but he has a good track record of finding great players and in his presser he said a lot of things that the fans have been wanting. Just becuase he was employed by the bills for 10 months out of 10 years doesn't make him an "insider"...

Alan Wilson even mentioned that Modrak wanted Cushing over Maybin. John Guy has even been on the record as saying that he provides recommendations and it is up to others within the organization to decide who they want to pursue and how much to offer (I cannot believe I am standing up for these two). It just really makes me realize that there is more to the picture than we care to believe. TD was an atrosicous GM/president, Marv was over his head as GM. We didn't draft great players with Williams, Mularkey or Jauron. I think there are lots of things that factor into someone's decision to come here or not to come here. TD made a lot of bone headed decisions and deserved to get shi*t canned. Marv went with a consensus approach to drafting and the results were about the same as the TD era. I think one thing that may have happened was that during this time too much final say was given to the HC. Marv was an HC and much like Parcells and other HCs want to be able to have a say as to who is on their team. After Marv, I am sure the same process went on and DJ most likely had final say. I find myself wondering how much of this decade is TD, Marv's and DJs fault and not so much of poor recommendations by Modrak and Guy. RW was the common denominator, but honestly how much say did he really have???

One thing I do want to toss in about B. Schotty is that I am not sure how I feel about a young and hungry up and coming coordinator, the kid is 36 yrs old and what exactly has he accomplished over a period of time either playing or coaching? Yes his father is a great regular season coach, but what has this kid done? I feel the same way about McDermott in Philly...I do not want Frazier, I am sick of a player's coach and someone who is Dungy/Jauron like laid-back; plus the Tampa 2 needs to go out the door. Russ Grimm is a more interesting choice, he has played on 3 SB teams, was a finalist for the Steelers job and has a good track record in coaching as well...Oh yeah he is a finalist for the HOF for thr 4th time...I think I just figured out who I would like to see as our coach...

All of you negtive nancies, if you read the quotes, Schotty is very happy where he is and doesn't want to jump just to get the title. He said he is finally happy after along time. It's nothing to do with the Bills. Why do Bills fans have an inferiority complex?

So, you think his answer would be the same if Jerry called from Dallas? You know better than that I think.

Since I think Frazier is the most attractive choice among the assistants by a substantial margin, I don't have a problem with this. Look at it this way -- Marvin Lewis went to Cincy when it seemed as if no one wanted to coach there because of the owner. He's a bona fide good coach, and the team is now stable despite the owner there. Perhaps Frazier can do the same -- he has a reasonably similar background. He was an assistant for a good defense (Philly), a run as coordinator for a weak defense (Cincy), and a coordinator for a good defense (Minnesota). Lewis was an assistant for a good defense (Pittsburgh), a coordinator for a terrible defense (Baltimore in 1996-1998), and a coordinator for a good defense (Baltimore from 1999-2001).

It bothers me because if Buddy and Marty are so tight, and if Marty thought Buddy could rebuild the talent in Buffalo, he would advise Brian that it's a good situation. Maybe Marty doesn't talk to his son about football, but I'm a little concerned that an interview wasn't scheduled.

The guy is happy where he is at at the time being. Also, again, that game against us was so terribly called that I am not sure we really want him anyways. OBD needs to do something soon but fans need to stop this self loathing. Buffalo is an NFL town and we will get a coach. Grimm is the man. GO BILLS

Led the league in run D and run O. Have a rookie QB. Made it to the second round of playoffs. That team is not a fraud. They're solid everywhere but QB and with some experience that will likely be solid in another few years.

That being said, SD will beat them soundly.

Right, but we still have to wait until coaches are done with their season, or we can actually interview them. So we can't just interview our favorite candidate if we didn't have permission or if we weren't able to by rule.

Let's see, they interviewed Frazier, wanted to talk to Schottenheimer, want to talk to Grimm ... doesn't seem like a ridiculous amount of obstruction taking place. Add that teams can be asked for permission to interview coaches during the playoffs and this argument is rather wobbly.

Actually, I think its much more effective if you have an offense that can score points. That way your lighter defense can run around and make plays instead of getting beat on. If you can't put teams in a position where they have to throw, T2 isn't particularly effective. Just look at the picks we had this year, and that was leading the league in rushing attempts against our defense.