Tebow looks like a NFL QB tonight

Chuckknox

He makes his reads very fast and shows great touch on his passes. The long pass looked perfect as well. He's not going to make it out of the first round.

He never looks like he is scared in any game, no matter what happens he looks like he is battling.

He would be a good risk with some good upside.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He makes his reads very fast and shows great touch on his passes. The long pass looked perfect as well. He's not going to make it out of the first round.

He never looks like he is scared in any game, no matter what happens he looks like he is battling.

Watch him wind up before he throws. Major talent all around him. He has bust written all over him. Quit being so impressed by quarterbacks surrounded by great talent. It will almost always fool you

Watch him wind up before he throws. Major talent all around him. He has bust written all over him. Quit being so impressed by quarterbacks surrounded by great talent. It will almost always fool you

his mechanics suck right now, but that is the ONLY knock on him. all he needs is to correct his release.

agreed- Florida QBs are typically busts in the NFL

That's totally invalid considering that the Florida QBs to whom you refer played under Spurrier and Zook. The only top prospect coached by Urban Meyer was Utah's Alex Smith. While he's taken some time to come around, Smith played well this season and appears to have turned the corner.

I happen to think that Tebow is a better QB than Smith was in college, so maybe it'll take him 2-3 years to develop into an NFL QB, just like Smith.

But I don't think it's appropriate to write Tebow off...he's too good an athlete with too good an arm, and he's got the attitude and determination to go with it.

his mechanics suck right now, but that is the ONLY knock on him. all he needs is to correct his release.

And Brian Billick just made an interesting comment about the fact that his throws - meaning the "wind-up" and release - take too long for the NFL.

That can be changed by NFL coaching. The important part is that he's got the arm.

That can be changed by NFL coaching. The important part is that he's got the arm.

i agree. i think its ridiculous to scoff at Tebow just because of his current mechanics. all he needs is a good QB coach. i believe he already has the ability and determination to learn how to throw correctly, he's just never had to.

Some on this board have said that the Bills should pick Pike. I do not agree. Nevertheless, compare the protection each QB is getting.

Gee, I wonder if there is a correlation between good protection and effective QB play.

As an aside, it is hard not to admire Tebow. Yet, take a look at where he starts his motion. The funny thing is, as I recall, UF hired a former NFL QB coach in the off season to help improve his mechanics. I guess that did not happen.

he has what you can't teach......leadership, heart, work ethic = WINNER !!

he will be the most controversial pick in this years draft...... JAX desperately needs him to sell tickets. For the rest of the league he is a project. He should go in the 2nd round, but don't be suprised if he goes in the 1st round. it will take 2-3 years before he is NFL ready, but i believe with his determination he will ultimately make it.

i agree. i think its ridiculous to scoff at Tebow just because of his current mechanics. all he needs is a good QB coach. i believe he already has the ability and determination to learn how to throw correctly, he's just never had to.

And there's the catch - he needs a good QB coach. If the Bills managed to get Tebow his success would be largely dependent on who Nix picks for HC (and thus who that HC hires as QB coach). It makes me wonder what TE would have been like if he'd had the right coach to pull him out of the funk he's been in since he took that concussion in the Arizona game - or if he'd been on a better team.

Tebow doesn't know how to read a defense. Alabama made him look like a high school player by dropping players into zone coverage and confusing him. They were able to do that because they cut off his ability to run the ball. He can spot guys who are open in man, but really struggles to diagnose complicated zone schemes.

If you couple the fact that he has below average accuracy and a slow release, you will see why almost no one is giving him a first round grade.

Tebow doesn't know how to read a defense. Alabama made him look like a high school player by dropping players into zone coverage and confusing him. They were able to do that because they cut off his ability to run the ball. He can spot guys who are open in man, but really struggles to diagnose complicated zone schemes.

If you couple the fact that he has below average accuracy and a slow release, you will see why almost no one is giving him a first round grade.

disagree on the accuracy. and i know why people are giving him a lower round grade (AND i dont disagree with it), all im saying is that we dont reeeally know and i believe his chances of making it are as good as his chances to bust. that being said, i wouldnt mind if the Bills took him. assuming of course, the proper QB coach was in place and they had a plan for him.

And there's the catch - he needs a good QB coach. If the Bills managed to get Tebow his success would be largely dependent on who Nix picks for HC (and thus who that HC hires as QB coach). It makes me wonder what TE would have been like if he'd had the right coach to pull him out of the funk he's been in since he took that concussion in the Arizona game - or if he'd been on a better team.

luckily, Nix said this in his press conference:

Another thing that's important, more so maybe sometimes than the head coach, is the assistants and the coordinators," Nix said. "If a head coach is a good CEO, then you got good coordinators and good offensive and defensive line coaches, you gotta have a good quarterback coach, somebody that can get that guy better -- and I'm not reflecting on anybody we got -- those are the guys you gotta have, a guy that can put a staff together."

:bag:

Tebow does look great but as someone said earlier, they are dominating Cinci. Put Tebow on a rebuilding team like the Bills, against NFL defenses, and I doubt you'd get the same results...at first anyway. In fact if you put Tebow behind the current Bills line he'd look like Tony Pike doers right now.

PTR

disagree on the accuracy. and i know why people are giving him a lower round grade (AND i dont disagree with it), all im saying is that we dont reeeally know and i believe his chances of making it are as good as his chances to bust. that being said, i wouldnt mind if the Bills took him. assuming of course, the proper QB coach was in place and they had a plan for him.

You can't really defend his accuracy... even his biggest proponents (Tony Dungy) agree that his accuracy is sub-par for an NFL QB prospect.

Brian Billick is breaking down Tim Tebow about as expert as can be. You couldn't get better insight on the guy that you are now. From his system, to his mechanics, to his head. GREAT analysis from Billick. Doesn't bode well for Tebow.

Don't let one game change your opinion of the guy. I have a feeling that Tebow will fall somewhere between the late 1st round and early 2nd round. The highest I see him going is mid 1st while the latest I see him falling is mid 2nd round. I think that Tebow needs the right situation to be successful.

Tebow needs to be drafted to a team that won't start him right away. I think that Tebow needs to sit the bench for 2 seasons to learn a system and come in on a team that is built to be in a winning situation. Tebow can't start on a rebuilding team like Buffalo. Honestly Jacksonville is a great fit for Tebow.

Jacksonville just drafted 2 tackles along the O-line, has Gerrard at QB and he seems like he has a season or two left in the tank so Tebow won't be rushed in, Jacksonville has a decent D in place so Tebow won't need to put up huge points if called upon, and Jacksonville has a good running back in Jones-Drew so they don't need to pass a whole lot.

I think Jacksonville will end up taking Tebow in round 1 in order to appeal to Florida fans BUT if they really want Tebow to be successful they will sit him for at least a season in order to get him ready to play in the NFL and take pressure off him.

The wise thing to do "IF" you draft Tebow would be to install that Gator offensive scheme and let him run it IMO. I wouldn't mind Urban Meyer as the Bills head coach, the guy is a winner.

Tebow has that horrid long wind up like Byron Leftwich, that is a huge disadvantage. It telegraphs his throws and NFL DB's will eat him alive.

NFL QB's need to be trained to hold the ball with two hands above the shoulder when passing, so he needs some development.

Just like byron Leftwich fixed his release???

Of course he was quick on his reads, he only has one read! his second read is to run. I wont say he didnt make some nice throws, but good high school QBs should be able to hit wide open WRs with no pressure.

I hate that you people who are blind to this are making me hate a really good human being.

The wise thing to do "IF" you draft Tebow would be to install that Gator offensive scheme and let him run it IMO. I wouldn't mind Urban Meyer as the Bills head coach, the guy is a winner.

Tebow has that horrid long wind up like Byron Leftwich, that is a huge disadvantage. It telegraphs his throws and NFL DB's will eat him alive.

NFL QB's need to be trained to hold the ball with two hands above the shoulder when passing, so he needs some development.

Exactly why I think he needs to sit the bench for a year or 2 to learn a system and work on his throwing mechanic. There have been QB's in the NFL that have shortened their release point a bit throughout their careers so if you can get a coach who will work with him while a vet holds down the fort I think Tebow might have a future in the NFL. As I said I think Tebow just needs the right situation to be an NFL QB.

If Tebow gets drafted as a starter on a rebuilding team he will get eaten alive and his confidence will get shattered. There are a lot of flaws to his game that will get exposed if he isn't in the right situation. He does have a lot to work with if you build him up right.

Exactly why I think he needs to sit the bench for a year or 2 to learn a system and work on his throwing mechanic. There have been QB's in the NFL that have shortened their release point a bit throughout their careers so if you can get a coach who will work with him while a vet holds down the fort I think Tebow might have a future in the NFL. As I said I think Tebow just needs the right situation to be an NFL QB.

If Tebow gets drafted as a starter on a rebuilding team he will get eaten alive and his confidence will get shattered. There are a lot of flaws to his game that will get exposed if he isn't in the right situation. He does have a lot to work with if you build him up right.

How many QB's come out of College with NO flaws? What will seperate Tebow from the others is his work ethic & the fact he has a passion for the game unlike some who would rather spend the offseason playing golf.

How many QB's come out of College with NO flaws? What will seperate Tebow from the others is his work ethic & the fact he has a passion for the game unlike some who would rather spend the offseason playing golf.

Throwing motion is a huge flaw to have also Tebow could just be a product of being on a great team as well. And give me a break with all this he cares and has passion BS most NFL QB's care about winning a lot and probably just as much as football Jesus Tim Tebow. With few exceptions you don't get to be a QB in the NFL without working hard and caring about winning.

This is exactly right Tebow is a gym rat and very dedicated, it makes so much difference.

Many many QB's enter the NFL and need to work on their mechanics, footwork is usually the biggest problem, holding the ball properly above the shoulder and keeping the chest and hips square to the target is another.

The thing is, if the QB coach is not very good it will reflect on how well the QB develops. Any new QB wanna get it right, just watch the master of mechanics and the most dedicated QB to his craft I've ever seen, Payton Manning.

Ryan Leaf and Jeff George had two of the best arms I've ever seen. Jim Kelly had poor mechanics. Joe Montana had no arm strength.

31-35, 482 yards...3 TDs and 1 rushing TD. I have no idea how Tebow will be as an NFL QB and neither do you but he did that against an undefeated team. This is your moment to be quiet.

You totally didn't get the memo! The TBD college football experts have declared Tebow TeH SUXorz! ESPECIALLY since he played on a team that won so many games and scored so many points!

We would be better off picking a early/mid round "project" QB with a high IQ from an Ivy league school who never did anything! Come on, get with the program! How do you expect to continue the Bills' pattern of success by selecting achieving players!

I'm still not sold on Tebow. I agree with the halftime assessment made by Jimmy Johnson.

I do like his fiery demeanor, and like his swagger.

What I do not like is the type of offense Florida runs and how it is not suited well to the Pro game. Tebow has nice touch on some of those short to intermediate passes, but his ball looks weak and wobbly when throwing over 30 yards. And as Johnson stated, his wind-up from such a low position will need to be corrected if he even hopes of staying alive on an NFL field.

There are questions of whether or not he can handle the transition coming from the offense he does and with the mechanics that he has.

It will be interesting to see what we do.

One things for sure: I sure am sick and tired of striking out on QB's....

First off, I don't pay much attention to college football (I don't have the time), so I will presume you guys are correct about his big windup, inability to read zone coverages, etc. But what I don't understand is how this guy, who sounds like most posting in this thread see Tebow as way less than stellar, has won two national championships and a Heisman. He put up huge numbers yesterday, but that is dismissed by saying Cincinatti isn't any good -- yet, they were ranked #3? As for the whole thing about Tebow having all kinds of protection yesterday, I noticed at least one of his TDs yesterday was throw with defenders in his face.

I am more convinced than ever that he is not an NFL QB after watching that game. The guy stares a hole through his receivers right from the snap and his release is as slow as molasses. More often than not he throws a flutter ball that in the winter winds of the Ralph will get blown around like lake effect snow. He will get eaten alive in the big leagues.

Throwing motion is a huge flaw to have also Tebow could just be a product of being on a great team as well. And give me a break with all this he cares and has passion BS most NFL QB's care about winning a lot and probably just as much as football Jesus Tim Tebow. With few exceptions you don't get to be a QB in the NFL without working hard and caring about winning.

B.S. MANY NFL QB's including Trent would rather spend the offseason working on their golf game than their football game. Tebow has a PASSION for FOOTBALL that Trent does not have & many others do not have. He also has a great work ethic so he will work on his flaws & get better. Even Jimmy Johnson & Brian Billick had to admit that Tebow is a GREAT College QB so he is not just the product of a great team. He will be remembered as one of the greatest College players EVER.

First off, I don't pay much attention to college football (I don't have the time), so I will presume you guys are correct about his big windup, inability to read zone coverages, etc. But what I don't understand is how this guy, who sounds like most posting in this thread see Tebow as way less than stellar, has won two national championships and a Heisman. He put up huge numbers yesterday, but that is dismissed by saying Cincinatti isn't any good -- yet, they were ranked #3? As for the whole thing about Tebow having all kinds of protection yesterday, I noticed at least one of his TDs yesterday was throw with defenders in his face.

History is absolutely littered with college QB's with great numbers, championships, awards, etc., who were colossal flops in the NFL. Tebow is simply the latest version of that. See, Toretta, Gino; Crouch, Eric; Ware, Andre; Wuerfel, Danny; Detmer, Ty.