Driving Pet Peeves - Mine Deals With Changing Lanes

Steely Dan

My favorite...

I am driving in the right lane going the speed limit.

No cars behind me.

As I get near the exit ramp, this clown has raced like heck

to pass me, then sharply cuts right in front of me to exit the roadway.

Of course, I have to jam on the brakes to avoid hitting him as he rushes

off the roadway.

This has been experienced in WV,PA and WNY...All during the

recent Thanksgiving holiday we took in Lewiston.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is his perogative. As long as he is doing the legal speed limit, there is no fast lane. I never got this notion of a fast lane, unless somebody was going really slow and under the limit.

Far as I know EII, it is actually a law (at least here in the great Commonwelth of VA) that the left lane is for passing and passing only. And yes, you can get a ticket for sitting oin the left lane even if you are going over the spped limit. It is never enforced, but it could be.

Now, i know this cause I am a traffic geek and read Dr Gridlock in the Post every week, as wellas similiar column here in Richmond called Street Beat.

Now, my peeve as mentioned before is merging. Here in the south, people see a lane ending sign 1500 yda or whatever and immediately get in the other lane, instaed of using two lanes till the end and then doing a zipper merge as people are taught in Europe.

In PA it is the law that the left lane is for passing only.

75-3313(d), 75-3301(b) May also use left lane to allow traffic to merge or "when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow".

I absolutely hate drivers who get in the left lane and impede the flow of traffic. Most of the time it is a big truck who decides to pass another truck going up a hill, because he wants to drive 1mph faster then the other guy.

Here's one I have never figured out:

The roadway is clear, I'm doing the limit, and ahead is somebody in the right lane driving, say 5 mph less. That's ok - I do that myself from time to time, but if traffic is such that I would be an impediment, I speed back up.

I approach the slower driver, signal my intentions, pass well ahead, then signal and drop back in the rt. lane.

Somehow, this affronts that slower driver - they speed up, pass, me, then slow down again. This can go on and on.

The roadway is clear, I'm doing the limit, and ahead is somebody in the right lane driving, say 5 mph less. That's ok - I do that myself from time to time, but if traffic is such that I would be an impediment, I speed back up.

I approach the slower driver, signal my intentions, pass well ahead, then signal and drop back in the rt. lane.

Somehow, this affronts that slower driver - they speed up, pass, me, then slow down again. This can go on and on.

Kind of along the same lines....pass a person that is going under 55mph in a 55 zone, it becomes a 30mph zone then that guy is right up on you wanting to go 50. And you're the jerk for passing earlier and staying near the speed limit in both.

That is his perogative. As long as he is doing the legal speed limit, there is no fast lane. I never got this notion of a fast lane, unless somebody was going really slow and under the limit.

Disagree.

The lane furthest to the left is a passing lane. You enter it to pass a slower-moving car. You pass said car and then you move back to your right. Riding in the left lane at a speed slower than the pace of traffic is dangerous and disrupts efficient flow. Especially when there is no car to your right to prevent you from getting back over.

Disagree.

The lane furthest to the left is a passing lane. You enter it to pass a slower-moving car. You pass said car and then you move back to your right. Riding in the left lane at a speed slower than the pace of traffic is dangerous and disrupts efficient flow. Especially when there is no car to your right to prevent you from getting back over.

Years ago, when I traveled to W. Germany with some frequency, headlights were flashed, and you pulled back over, as a matter of course. For reasons unknown here, such is occasionally considered to be fighting words.

Go figure...

Years ago, when I traveled to W. Germany with some frequency, headlights were flashed, and you pulled back over, as a matter of course. For reasons unknown here, such is occasionally considered to be fighting words.

Go figure...

First time I drove in England, I was going slow so I quickly got into the right lane. Of course, that's the passing lane but it took a few minutes for that to dawn on me. There was a row of about ten cars waiting behind me -- no one passed me on the left, no one honked, no one flipped me the bird. Amazing.

So you are saying that it is okay to break the law and others who are lawfully abidding should move out of your way? What gives you the right? They have every right to be there if they are doing the speed limit. If they are doing the speed limit, the vehicle behind them is the burdened vehicle. Sure it is easier to just move over and let them speed around you, which I do most of the time.

But really, who is the jackass?

Disagree.

What he said. :unsure:

Been there. This when I wish I had the James Bond machine guns in the headlights. :flirt:

I do. I don't see your headlights, you see my brake lights and 5mph under the speed limit until you back off.

Ditto . . .

I have far too many peeves abpout driving to list. Driving is sooooo fricken' easy . . . why the hell are there so many incompetent boobs on the road??

My latest peeve, and those of you still in WNY should be able to attest to this, is: at least 50% of drivers are driving 5-15 mph UNDER the speed limit.

Sorry, I have a type A, East Coast mentality. If you can't even go the posted speed limit, GET OFF THE ROAD!!!

Here's a beauty we all know and love: Driving behind someone on a two-lane road and you can't pass the person in front of you who is going under the speed limit. As you slowly approach the light, it turns yellow, and the idiot in front of you decides that he better speed up now and make the light. He goes through and you're stuck at the red. No jury would convict me I swear.

First time I drove in England, I was going slow so I quickly got into the right lane. Of course, that's the passing lane but it took a few minutes for that to dawn on me. There was a row of about ten cars waiting behind me -- no one passed me on the left, no one honked, no one flipped me the bird. Amazing.

Heh. I made a journey once to Ye Merry Olde for the auto company I worked for. They set it up that I had the use of one of the spiffy models.

That was very kind of them, but in my heart of hearts, I knew there was nothing good that could come out of me negotiating around RH drive England in a large, powerful sedan (saloon!) with the added complication of it being a 5-speed manual.

I put on the proper diplomatic behavior hat, and somehow, they found me a rare bird - an auto tranny Polo sedan. :unsure:

Heh. I made a journey once to Ye Merry Olde for the auto company I worked for. They set it up that I had the use of one of the spiffy models.

That was very kind of them, but in my heart of hearts, I knew there was nothing good that could come out of me negotiating around RH drive England in a large, powerful sedan (saloon!) with the added complication of it being a 5-speed manual.

I put on the proper diplomatic behavior hat, and somehow, they found me a rare bird - an auto tranny Polo. :unsure:

Before anyone gets confused, he doesn't mean a transvestite. Pretty sure this is what he means.

Before anyone gets confused, he doesn't mean a transvestite. Pretty sure this is what he means.

:lol:

Is auto tranny current code for that? I'd never know...

Don't know if it's urban legend or not, but it was bandied about that there was film released to some theaters, that showed Heston wearing a wristwatch in the chariot race scene.

Nice link...kudos to Heston and the others - I'd say that most have had a bit of time on a saddle somewhere along the way, but holding the reins on 4 steeds hauling a chariot... :unsure:

Not in PA, it isn't. He'd get ticketed for not keeping right. Left hand lane is for serious drivers only.

I'm waiting to make a right, but a car is coming.....he then turns into the road/lot I'm making a right out of....no signal.

I hate you f'n people.

Also, people that can't park in one freakin spot. Really? Is it that hard? I don't care if your Kia is brand new.

Also, people that miss the first ten seconds of a green arrow, because they're texting or can't shut their yap?

The douche that didn't tie his mattress to the roof of his car with yarn and then took it out on 285.

The pallet truck. Has anyone else seen these jokers? Driving around in Uncle Jesse's truck with four hundered pallets stacked in the bed. Maybe it's an Atlanta thing.

The damn dump trucks that don't cover their loads. No wonder everyone around here has a cracked windshield.

And you Alabama mother *******!!! 55 is not an option when everyone else is doing 85!

As you can see Anger is riding shotgun these days.

I'm waiting to make a right, but a car is coming.....he then turns into the road/lot I'm making a right out of....no signal.

I hate you f'n people.

Also, people that can't park in one freakin spot. Really? Is it that hard? I don't care if your Kia is brand new.

Also, people that miss the first ten seconds of a green arrow, because they're texting or can't shut their yap?

These first three are spot on. I can tolerate "bad" drivers (usually meaning they have a different driving style from me) but inconsiderate, self-centered ones are unforgivable. The ones that say "I'm so concerned with myself, I don't have the time to give a !@#$ about anyone around me."

You pull your car into a parking spot and you notice its on the line?....Get the hell back in and take 15 seconds to straighten it out. Maybe if you learned how to use a steering wheel when you were 16, this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Another pet peev, almost anything my wife does when she drives, she really is one of the worst drivers I've ever been around. He dad even agreed with me when I asked him about her driving habits. :unsure:

My wife peeves me when she says things like "my brakes aren't working". When I get up off the floor and recover, and ask for specifics, she replies with something like "Yes, I can be more specific. They aren't working right". This coming out of the mouth of an absoultely brilliant person. :wallbash:

However, I know that there is no high horse I can sit upon and mete out admonishment...she's never gotten a ticket, never wrecked a car.

Rats! :lol:

Another pet peev, almost anything my wife does when she drives, she really is one of the worst drivers I've ever been around. He dad even agreed with me when I asked him about her driving habits. :unsure:

Man the more I read about your guy's wives the more I see just how lucky (and yes, it was all luck) I am. My wife is a great driver, an aggressive driver that won't take **** from roadway morons. My mom was out visting a long time ago, we had been married only a few years. She went someplace with my wife and my mom comes back and said "I've never heard anyone call so many people !@#$s in my life." God, I love that woman.

How about "I'm turning left and I didn't see the bike

That guy got serious injuries because he's on the same road with a mental midget. :lol:

I put on the proper diplomatic behavior hat, and somehow, they found me a rare bird - an auto tranny Polo sedan. :wallbash:

If you can't drive a manual you need to turn in your man card. JMO

Glad he ate her? :wallbash:

I hate you f'n people.

The douche that didn't tie his mattress to the roof of his car with yarn and then took it out on 285.

The pallet truck. Has anyone else seen these jokers? Driving around in Uncle Jesse's truck with four hundered pallets stacked in the bed. Maybe it's an Atlanta thing.

The damn dump trucks that don't cover their loads. No wonder everyone around here has a cracked windshield.

And you Alabama mother *******!!! 55 is not an option when everyone else is doing 85!

In my younger days if I saw an expensive car parked diagonally across a bunch of spots I'd park next to him. :unsure:

Here's a beauty we all know and love: Driving behind someone on a two-lane road and you can't pass the person in front of you who is going under the speed limit. As you slowly approach the light, it turns yellow, and the idiot in front of you decides that he better speed up now and make the light. He goes through and you're stuck at the red. No jury would convict me I swear.

On the flip side, that is my favorite move to do to a tailgater. If someone is right on my tail, I appropach a light a little slower and hope for the yellow. If I get, I drag the brakes. As soon as I think he's committed to stopping, I zip through the light without him. :unsure:

I hate you f'n people.

:lol:

Awesome post. Love the one about the dump trucks not covering their loads - and they usually have a big sticker on the back that reads "Stay Back 500 feet, not responsible for windshield damage." :unsure:

Go figure...

In the old days, the flashing of headlights when passing or to to signal the passing vehicle was used on Interstates for Truckers mostly. If gave the Truckers visual confirmation that they were clear to merge back in.

Of course, in those same Old Days, the said Trucker was doing about 120 and the vacuum created as he passed you would nearly suck you in to the side of his rig....

Far as I know EII, it is actually a law (at least here in the great Commonwelth of VA) that the left lane is for passing and passing only. And yes, you can get a ticket for sitting oin the left lane even if you are going over the spped limit. It is never enforced, but it could be.

I've seen someone get pulled over on the NY Thruway for that. Guy passes me and stays in the left lane. Soon a Trooper passes me and ends up behind the other vehicle. Trooper was following the guy for about 2-3 miles, no one in the right lane, so he hit the lights and pulls him over.

Years ago, when I traveled to W. Germany with some frequency, headlights were flashed, and you pulled back over, as a matter of course.

Saw a special on the autobahn a couple years ago. One thing they mentioned is having a drivers license in Germany is a privilege, not a right like is considered here. And Mercedes engineers didn't understand why Americans wanted cup holders in their cars.

You Park Like An !@#$.com

When someone is driving on the highway and they want to change lanes don't speed up when they put their signal on.

If I'm gonna change lanes I make sure I'm not gonna cut the person off. So when I put on my turn signal you're being a dick if you speed up to pass me before I can change lanes. A lot of the time when this happens the A-hole has a long line of cars behind him. Sometimes you'll get a nice guy who slows down to let you in but that does not negate the assheadedness of the first guy.

If you see somebody put on their turn signal to get into your lane, slow down a little to let them in. Is that so hard to understand. :lol:

Being indecisive can be worse. Perhaps these people worry that they are in your blind spot and are trying to escape it.

Go figure...

Probably because of what people mean when they flash them.