Driving Pet Peeves - Mine Deals With Changing Lanes

Steely Dan

Sorry to hear that. Hope nobody was hurt

The merge lanes in Virginia are worse (and I used to live in PA).

In Virginia the merge lanes and off ramp are reversed. Instead of having the off ramp first and then the on ramp, some rocket surgeon designed it backwards here. So you have people getting onto the interstate trying to merge using the same lane at the same time as somebody trying to get on the off ramp

:lol:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another issue, and one that actually contributes to the 'failure to signal' problem, is the tendency of drivers on the highway to speed up and block out someone who is trying to moving into their lane. The rate of this happening goes up exponentially if you are traveling in an area with lots of NASCAR fans.

BTW - message to the late-night crowd - a burnt-out tail light, a brake light, a bum headlight, no front plate if required, are mother's milk to your police force. They will pick you off every time when the sun goes down, because you made yourself an easy target.

Not to mention an excuse to check you out for DUI or outstanding warrants.

BY FAR, my number one driving pet peeve is people that don't know to go out to the middle of an intersection when making a left hand turn. It drives me CRAZY when I am behind someone making a left hand turn who sits there like an idiot at the front of the left turn lane then misses the light(!) (thus also causing me to miss the light if I am right behind them). It is just so annoying to me because it is not a result of just being careless, or reckless - it is a result of being STUPID. LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!

BY FAR, my number one driving pet peeve is people that don't know to go out to the middle of an intersection when making a left hand turn. It drives me CRAZY when I am behind someone making a left hand turn who sits there like an idiot at the front of the left turn lane then misses the light(!) (thus also causing me to miss the light if I am right behind them). It is just so annoying to me because it is not a result of just being careless, or reckless - it is a result of being STUPID. LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!

I totally agree. That drives me nuts. Back home in PA people do it, but up here in Buffalo, everyone is half-retarded and refuses to do it. If you put yourself in the intersection, you are guaranteed to go and not just sit there idiots!

It might also be a result of the driver actually obeying the law. I mean, it pisses me off too, but it is technically what you are supposed to do.

Not my biggest pet peeve but it's up there. It's especially frustrating if they are blocking you going the other way.

I totally agree. That drives me nuts. Back home in PA people do it, but up here in Buffalo, everyone is half-retarded and refuses to do it. If you put yourself in the intersection, you are guaranteed to go and not just sit there idiots!

Well stated!! :lol:

Slow drivers in the fast lane really :lol: me off! Maryland drivers are the worst at this.

Don't visit Colorado then. I swear the law states "drive left, pass right" in this state.

Not using turn signals is a huge peeve as well as people who become mesmerized my flashing lights OF ANY COLOR NO MATTER WHICH SIDE OF THE INTERSTATE THEY ARE ON and immediately slow down to 10 miles UNDER the speed limit!!!! :lol:

Oh yeah and clowns... I passed a person with clown makeup on while driving the other day... freaked me out so bad I almost ran over a possum!! :lol:

It might also be a result of the driver actually obeying the law. I mean, it pisses me off too, but it is technically what you are supposed to do.

Since by getting in the middle of the intersection on a left turn what you are really doing is looking for a excuse to run the light when it turns red,yeah I can see a ticket for that.

I hate that too! The left lane is a passing lane. If you have cars lined up behind you in the fast lane you need to pull over Jackass!!

When I worked at a gas station a friend was pumping gas for a woman with a big van, yes kids there once was a time before self serve. He noticed the "Take it Easy" bumper sticker and said; "I hate people driving in the fast lane and are going the speed limit". Well the woman heard that and went on a long tirade about how the speed limit is the speed limit in every lane. :lol:

So you are saying that it is okay to break the law and others who are lawfully abidding should move out of your way? What gives you the right? They have every right to be there if they are doing the speed limit. If they are doing the speed limit, the vehicle behind them is the burdened vehicle. Sure it is easier to just move over and let them speed around you, which I do most of the time.

But really, who is the jackass?

Exactly! Get under the light!!! If the light changes, at least one or two cars can make it during the delay between signals.

This keeps traffic moving if their is no dedicated arrow. The other way, the line will never move.

Driving 101.

Since by getting in the middle of the intersection on a left turn what you are really doing is looking for a excuse to run the light when it turns red,yeah I can see a ticket for that.

Camera intersections ALWAYS have a dedicated arrow turning lane. And no cop on the planet will give you a ticket for being under the light. Well, I hope... This is driving 101 before turn arrows cane in prevalence.

Actually, getting under the light is old-school... Since the turn arrows weren't as popular years ago.

Anyway... That is why there a Jug handles or Michigan Lefts in some states...

These days, I just want to get where I'm going in one piece. That's it. You want to cut in front of me, fine. You want that parking spot? Fine. Just get me there and eventually back home, in one piece. Yesterday, on the interstate in My Yami, we're stuck in massive traffic gridlock and this nimrod in front of me rear ends the Beemer in front of him. We must have been going all of 5 mph. WTF?

This is mine. People driving too close.

You should be one car length behind for every 10 mph of speed. That means, on the highway, you should be about 7 lengths behind the car in front and try to maintain 7 lengths in back.

But no. People have to ride everyone else's bumper.

Ever notice on the highway that there are clusters of ~20 cars every few hundred yards? Then there's a few hundred yards with two or three cars, then another cluster. That's from people putting their snit in everyone else's snizzle. Then, emanating from this is the phenomenon of drivers who feel the need to thread the needle while changing lanes. A few weeks ago, a car about 200 yards in front of us did such a threading and forced a black VW Golf to swerve left, then right to avoid hitting, and the VW almost rolled. For my next car, I'll have to ask the salesman if a blivet gun is an available option.

Seriously, people. Back the !@#$ off! This is not NASCAR!

This is mine. People driving too close.

You should be one car length behind for every 10 mph of speed. That means, on the highway, you should be about 7 lengths behind the car in front and try to maintain 7 lengths in back.

But no. People have to ride everyone else's bumper.

Ever notice on the highway that there are clusters of ~20 cars every few hundred yards? Then there's a few hundred yards with two or three cars, then another cluster. That's from people putting their snit in everyone else's snizzle. Then, emanating from this is the phenomenon of drivers who feel the need to thread the needle while changing lanes.

Seriously, people. Back the !@#$ off! This is not NASCAR!

Back off too far and people weasel in. Not that I bump people, but that is why I like my Jeep with the old school bumpers... No damage to my vehicle will happen from nudges while in the grind... I have the 2" front receiver (for a removable winch and what not)... And the big rubber pads stick further out and do their job.

Anyway... What ever happened to a "bumper"... More like they are a big piece of "don't touch me plastic" that scratches easily... Isn't it called a bumper for a reason?

In Virginia the merge lanes and off ramp are reversed. Instead of having the off ramp first and then the on ramp, some rocket surgeon designed it backwards here. So you have people getting onto the interstate trying to merge using the same lane at the same time as somebody trying to get on the off ramp

Got a few of those in Western NY as well...near the Galleria is one that I know is like that

Drafting it's called. They miss nothing those highway engineers.