Lack of any updates on E. Wood

bg17

They said he had surgery, it went fine and he was in recovery. It has only been a week, what updates do you expect? That he is running or lifting weights? They also said, you can expect him to start the season on the PUP if not the entire year. Going to be awhile before any substantial updates would be available.

I take this to be bad news. I don't think anyone will be shocked if it's a career-ending. The lack of any doctor's report or word from the Bills makes me think the worst. Thoughts or news that I am not aware of?

Disagree, no news is good news. At least until Training Camp.

I read last week that EW said it was a 6 - 8 month rehab and he hoped to be ready for training camp next year:

Two Bills Drive - Eric Wood Story - Niagra Gazette

They said he had surgery, it went fine and he was in recovery. It has only been a week, what updates do you expect? That he is running or lifting weights? They also said, you can expect him to start the season on the PUP if not the entire year. Going to be awhile before any substantial updates would be available.

Rotoworld speculated that Wood would be on the PUP list to start the season. Listening to Wood, who is going off what the surgeon told him, he said barring any setbacks it's 6-8 months. Six months puts him at OTA's, but I doubt he'd do anything there. Eight months is training camp.

Chris Brown reported The Bills said the surgery was successful. I'm guessing we won't know if it's career ending until he starts to rehab and tries to play.

Well said. There is nothing else for anyone to add to the discussion.

Rotoworld speculated that Wood would be on the PUP list to start the season. Listening to Wood, who is going off what the surgeon told him, he said barring any setbacks it's 6-8 months. Six months puts him at OTA's, but I doubt he'd do anything there. Eight months is training camp.

I had a friend on my college team with the same tib-fib break. He sat our the rest of the season but was ready for fall practice about 6months later. He came back and played like nothing had happened. Hopefully they have similiar recoveries.

+1

Wood himself said 6-8 months, yet some of the resident doctors on here continue to override his statements with their expert opinions.

Yeah, silly of us to actually think we might know a little something about it.

But you go right on believing we're "overriding" his statements, rather than just suggesting from experience that things aren't always as straightforward or proceed as smoothly as you believe everything is.

Good screen name, by the way. I'll give you a ring if I need some backup.

Maybe you do know something about the nature of the injury in general. In order to make any real assessments, you surely would realize the necessity of seeing the individual case for yourself. Since none of us on here have, we can only go on the words of Eric Wood himself, since it's his leg that's broken and I would tend to think he might have some idea what is going on with his own body/injury.

I see a divide between the "OH MY GOD HIS CAREER IS OVER! I JUST HOPE HE CAN WALK AGAIN!" comments and the actual words from Eric Wood himself, where he says he should be ready to PLAY FOOTBALL again in 6-8 months.

That is all. And my screen name is what it is. That does not affect the reality.

Isn't this the part where someone threatens to sue me for having a difference of opinion on a message board?

Exactly. His injury is one that can be recovered from. However, occasionally complications happen or unmotivated players don't rehab well enough.

Expect the next updates to come in several months when the cast comes off and we can start following the rehab.

There has been no doubt from doctors that he'll be fine. The only doubts have been from posters. And your thing about him starting the season on PUP is a guess. We'll know when we know.

But you go right on believing we're "overriding" his statements, rather than just suggesting from experience that things aren't always as straightforward or proceed as smoothly as you believe everything is.

Oh, so you've seen his x-rays? You watched the surgery? Looked at his medical history?

Gee, then no wonder you know more than his doctors.

Thurman#1,

My thoughts exactly. I'm looking at what Eric Wood himself said, rather than a bunch of anonymous posters on a message board.

He was obviously told he'd be ready to play ball in 6-8 months by his doctors. Of course there can be setbacks. But the ONLY place I have heard anything about Wood's career being in jeopardy is on this message board.

Wood is my favorite Bill BTW. Kid is all heart and fire!

Maybe you do know something about the nature of the injury in general. In order to make any real assessments, you surely would realize the necessity of seeing the individual case for yourself. Since none of us on here have, we can only go on the words of Eric Wood himself, since it's his leg that's broken and I would tend to think he might have some idea what is going on with his own body/injury.

I see a divide between the "OH MY GOD HIS CAREER IS OVER! I JUST HOPE HE CAN WALK AGAIN!" comments and the actual words from Eric Wood himself, where he says he should be ready to PLAY FOOTBALL again in 6-8 months.

That is all. And my screen name is what it is. That does not affect the reality.

Of course, most people with sense already know that anything on a message board is not a "real" assessment.

In the absence of any information form Eric or anyone else (the situation when most of those opinions were offered), it is precisely our knowledge about the general nature of the injury that allows us to offer an informed opinion. That's the whole idea behind that expert opinion thing. I guess I must have missed the part where myself and other doctors said or implied that our assessments were real and based on our personal examinations.

You see the divide between those two extremes because you fail to account for the fact that many of the worrisome opinions were offered at a time when no information on Eric's condition was available. That, of course, is different from now, after he's had his surgery and there is at least some sense of the condition of his leg before and after the procedure. But even that knowledge (what little of it there is) doesn't guarantee anything.

Some of us can appreciate the fact that not every broken bone is the same, and that some broken bones don't (or cannot) heal well enough for someone to return to a violent game like this, even after a successful surgery. It was a horrific injury, and there was (and still is) a reasonable chance that he will not heal well enough to return to football. Some of us also know that, just because the patient himself says everything will be fine, doesn't always mean it will be, or that he has a full grasp of his situation or the challenges ahead.

You also see that divide because you can't seem to detect any difference between the "OH MY GOD HIS CAREER IS OVER!" cries and the "Man, that was a gruesome injury, and based on how bad it looked and what I know it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't play again" opinions. But I'm sure next year when he returns to action we'll have to endure more of your trolling because of this.

Isn't this the part where someone threatens to sue me for having a difference of opinion on a message board?

Only in your fantasies. Keep on trollin', though.

Oh, so you've seen his x-rays? You watched the surgery? Looked at his medical history?

Gee, then no wonder you know more than his doctors.

Really? I need to spell it out for you?

Where on here did I ever say anything other than in the immediate hours after his injury, when nobody knew anything? All I said is that the injury was gruesome, and it had the potential to be career-threatening. Based only on my general knowledge of such injuries. Sure, I mentioned people can and do come back from broken bones, but it just looked nasty and could have other ramifications. That was it.

Never said anything after his surgery, after any information came out, anything against what he said his doctors told him. But if you want to go ahead and believe that, feel free, tiger.

Of course, most people with sense already know that anything on a message board is not a "real" assessment.

In the absence of any information form Eric or anyone else (the situation when most of those opinions were offered), it is precisely our knowledge about the general nature of the injury that allows us to offer an informed opinion. That's the whole idea behind that expert opinion thing. I guess I must have missed the part where myself and other doctors said or implied that our assessments were real and based on our personal examinations.

You see the divide between those two extremes because you fail to account for the fact that many of the worrisome opinions were offered at a time when no information on Eric's condition was available. That, of course, is different from now, after he's had his surgery and there is at least some sense of the condition of his leg before and after the procedure. But even that knowledge (what little of it there is) doesn't guarantee anything.

Some of us can appreciate the fact that not every broken bone is the same, and that some broken bones don't (or cannot) heal well enough for someone to return to a violent game like this, even after a successful surgery. It was a horrific injury, and there was (and still is) a reasonable chance that he will not heal well enough to return to football. Some of us also know that, just because the patient himself says everything will be fine, doesn't always mean it will be, or that he has a full grasp of his situation or the challenges ahead.

You also see that divide because you can't seem to detect any difference between the "OH MY GOD HIS CAREER IS OVER!" cries and the "Man, that was a gruesome injury, and based on how bad it looked and what I know it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't play again" opinions. But I'm sure next year when he returns to action we'll have to endure more of your trolling because of this.

Only in your fantasies. Keep on trollin', though.

Fair enough. You make some decent points. My issue was actually more with the people who continue to insist Wood's career is in jeopardy when NOWHERE (that I have seen) was that ever said but on message boards. Some people have chosen to simply ignore Wood's own words and insert their own pessimism.

And why would I troll the boards next year about Eric Wood coming back? I have already said he is my favorite current Bills player, which is why I even care about the topic at all.

Fair enough. You make some decent points. My issue was actually more with the people who continue to insist Wood's career is in jeopardy when NOWHERE (that I have seen) was that ever said but on message boards. Some people have chosen to simply ignore Wood's own words and insert their own pessimism.

And why would I troll the boards next year about Eric Wood coming back? I have already said he is my favorite current Bills player, which is why I even care about the topic at all.

True enough. I finally went back to that hellish Eric Wood thread back when he was injured and you did make that point, plus you weren't really trollish at all. In fact, I think we've agreed most of the time.

I haven't really followed close enough to know that other people have been saying that about him, though.

Players can be overly optimistic about stuff like this. If you tell a player four to six weeks, he'll hear "four weeks at the very most."

While Wood's comments are encouraging, they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Players can be overly optimistic about stuff like this. If you tell a player four to six weeks, he'll hear "four weeks at the very most."

While Wood's comments are encouraging, they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Also very true. Wood is the type that would probably think "if the Dr. says 6-8 months, there's a chance I'll be ready in 5...."

Who cares.... Golf is a waste of great Bass lakes and hunting woods. Nothing I love more that to lay into the horn while watching some jackass T-off....

Id like to quote my barber on the subject...

"Golf, a game played by old men who cant F### and young men too scared to play hockey!"

Who cares.... Golf is a waste of great Bass lakes and hunting woods. Nothing I love more that to lay into the horn while watching some jackass T-off....

Id like to quote my barber on the subject...

"Golf, a game played by old men who cant F### and young men too scared to play hockey!"

That is hilarous. At the same time, I can't for the life of me figure out what this has to do with the topic.

To be fair, I think he was talking about the plethora of people who have no medical background who offered their 'expert' advice without being prompted.

I think no news other than the passing "back in buffalo" is good news at this point. The only news in the next six months would be regular boring progress (which I would love to hear) or bad news. He has a long way to go before anything specifically encouraging would come out (other than the absence of complications and setbacks).

I think we still have the full range of possibilities from back for training camp to misses 2010 to career over, and nothing will come out this week or next week that will be able to shed any real light on it. I'm most interested to hear about things to know how he is holding up and how he is handling the adversity than for how his actual leg bones are doing.

I take this to be bad news. I don't think anyone will be shocked if it's a career-ending. The lack of any doctor's report or word from the Bills makes me think the worst. Thoughts or news that I am not aware of?

bones heal stronger, muscles heal weaker...

I doubt its a career ender...

I had a friend on my college team with the same tib-fib break. He sat our the rest of the season but was ready for fall practice about 6months later. He came back and played like nothing had happened. Hopefully they have similiar recoveries.

all depends on how the ligaments were affected...-fingers crossed

Wood will be OK. Lots of players come back from this injury.

Wood himself said 6-8 months, yet some of the resident doctors on here continue to override his statements with their expert opinions.

Well they DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

***WOOD UPDATE***

I have been driving around Hamburg asking for Woods address and got it! I peered through his bathroom window and noticed he was rolling a deuce while reading the May 1988 issue of Mad Magazine....I believe he was reading the latest Spy vs Spy