Jim Kelly on Mike and Mike

stevewin

Very quick interview this AM

MM - What was your reaction to DJ getting fired

JK - Not surprised. Knew it would eventually happen - direction they have to take - under his tenure they haven't had a winning season - like him, great friend - time to get someone else

MM - How far away is the team

JK - Still ways away biggest thing is QB position - look at teams on top every team has top notch signal caller and dominating defense

MM - What direction should ralph go for organization and coach

Need someone with some pep, get guys fired up - not necessarily someone just always getting in people's faces, but look across league - looking at coaches Bills have brought in the recent past - need guys who have been there and done that and had success - Cowher, Billick - a guy who will get in someone's face - need someone to lead. DJ too laid back Russ brandon will do everything to bring championship back - (then fans are great, sell out even though team sucks blah blah)

MM - Was TO worth it

JK - Yes no doubt - lost thousands of ST when re-signed Jauron - got those back w/ TO. Sometimes feel sorry for him - haven't been able to utilize him, or evans. Need top notch QB - Trent hasn't been able to get it done - always chance could come around - as player never give up

----------------------

Some related comments from Mort later:

- Problems w/ Buffalo are ownership problems. All fans want someone like Cowher, Shanahan etc.

- Even when Levy was hired, it was Polian who made that hire.

- Don't know if can offer hope to fans in Buffalo unless owner changes.

MM - What moves might Ralph make?

CM - Fans demanding take run at big coaches like Cowher, not Ralph's way to spend the $$ - he would have to change

-----------------------

Ha - later they read from Sullivan''s article and discussed it - focusing on Ralph being willing to pay for a big time coach.

Other comments:

Big time coaches will come at a steep price - if i'm Cowher, Billick - want to know two things 1) who's the owner, 2) who's the QB.

Basically said would be starting from square 1, don't have QB - will be a tough sell for coach.

Also - Buffalo will have a tough time getting players just because it is Buffalo. Not winning championships, 'freezng cold all the time" etc. - not a place a lot of players are going to want to go. "Aside from wings - it's a tough sell" :unsure:

I love how the former great Bills (Kelly, Thurman, Talley) are speaking their mine on the state of the team. Hopefully they can influence Ralph in making some more good moves in order to get this team back on the right track

Jim the HOF QB and Best in Bills history is saying Trent isn't the QB we need to get where we want to go. What else needs to be said?

Especially after Manning said earlier in the week that he basically wants to be remembered in the same way as Kelly and some of the other great QBs...

Manning is Polian's 2nd Jim Kelly. He is a game manager. There was a post a couple of weeks ago about what QB most reminds you of Jim Kelly. It is Manning. He commands an offense much like Kelly did. Polian was key to the Bills success. The Colts and the Bills of the 90's are virtually the same team. Until they gey a front office guy like that again we will have more of the same.

Russ brandon will do everything to bring championship back

I find it interesting (and somewhat disturbing) that Jim thinks the Russ Brandon should stay (at least that's what I get from this comment).

I hope to God that Jim isn't in Ralph's ear on this one.

i also like his support behind TO.....many here and even more on the outside pin the failures on TO....like JK said, he is being completely under utilized, through ineptness at the QB spot or Ineptness at the play calling spot.....TO is a threat and we are missing out on that.....

Ha - later they read from Sullivan''s article and discussed it - focusing on Ralph being willing to pay for a big time coach.

Other comments:

Big time coaches will come at a steep price - if i'm Cowher, Billick - want to know two things 1) who's the owner, 2) who's the QB.

Basically said would be starting from square 1, don't have QB - will be a tough sell for coach.

Also - Buffalo will have a tough time getting players just because it is Buffalo. Not winning championships, 'freezng cold all the time" etc. - not a place a lot of players are going to want to go. "Aside from wings - it's a tough sell" :unsure:

Jim the HOF QB and Best in Bills history is saying Trent isn't the QB we need to get where we want to go. What else needs to be said?

Come on....it's the coaches fault!!!! The individual player is never responsible for their own performance.

Then again, I recall this same Jim Kelly singing Trent's praises last year.

He played good until he got destroyed in Arizona...Hasn't been the same since...Could see some cautious optimism going into this season as he had the off season to recover. You hope the guy was able to get it straight...but well you know...sometimes, you buy a house...

Anything new in that interview? Trent's not getting it done. Thanks Jim.

Shouldn't Kelly be working with his secret group of billionaires to take over this mess from Ralph?

Kelly owes Ralph nothing---so he should takes his group public and put the pressure on greedy old Ralph to cash out.

Anything new in that interview? Trent's not getting it done. Thanks Jim.

Shouldn't Kelly be working with his secret group of billionaires to take over this mess from Ralph?

Kelly owes Ralph nothing---so he should takes his group public and put the pressure on greedy old Ralph to cash out.

Ralph is a stubborn old man, take the group public and pressuring Ralph will defintaely cause him to make sure the team doesn't get sold to that group. JK knows Ralph and is playing the game the right way.

Comment from Peter King on Dan Patrick show:

Ralph is 91 and sick of crap w/ his team. Sometmes in Ralph's world you make a decision because you can't stand where you are anymore. First thing they need to decide is what they want to be - how much power/$$ do you want to give head coach.

Comment from Peter King on Dan Patrick show:

Ralph is 91 and sick of crap w/ his team. Sometmes in Ralph's world you make a decision because you can't stand where you are anymore. First thing they need to decide is what they want to be - how much power/$$ do you want to give head coach.

This is a very interesting point. With Ralph knowing that he is near his end, he wasted this decade and he does say he wants to bring a SB to Buffalo, maybe he actually ponies up and and goes for it...

He played good until he got destroyed in Arizona...Hasn't been the same since...Could see some cautious optimism going into this season as he had the off season to recover. You hope the guy was able to get it straight...but well you know...sometimes, you buy a house...

And remember the Pass Trent threw on the Play he got nailed vs. Arizona? Up to that point he was looking darn good...Since then things have changed dramatically for the worse...I did not want to believe it last year but it's true...He's a different Player... :rolleyes:

waiting for the "Jim Kelly for offensive coordinator" comment...

Fools! Why would you want a guy that led one of the most explosive offenses in history associated with play calling? We have the guy that held the esteemed positions of holding the clipboard for Rob Johnson, and Kelly Holcomb!!

His lack of support for Trent speaks very loudly. You would have to believe Jim and AVP have had more than a few conversations about this. Guess it pulls off the table all of the excuses about the line has sucked etc. I guess we get to look forward to the draft.

Jim's no better than the average fan at this. Before the season and last year he said he really liked TE and thought he had what it took to be a great QB.

Ralph is a stubborn old man, take the group public and pressuring Ralph will defintaely cause him to make sure the team doesn't get sold to that group. JK knows Ralph and is playing the game the right way.

This type of thinking makes no sense.

Everyone here claims Ralph's "estate" will sell the team to the highest bidder. So how will Ol' Ralphie "make sure the team doesn't get sold to that group"?

Since has shown no interest in trying to secure the future of the team while he's alive (by selling now or long ago), why on earth would you believe he cares what happens after he's dead???

How many buyers do you think will be bidding for this team?

This type of thinking makes no sense.

Everyone here claims Ralph's "estate" will sell the team to the highest bidder. So how will Ol' Ralphie "make sure the team doesn't get sold to that group"?

Since has shown no interest in trying to secure the future of the team while he's alive (by selling now or long ago), why on earth would you believe he cares what happens after he's dead???

How many buyers do you think will be bidding for this team?

It's actually kind of easy...he can put in his will

Well let's see there are only 32 of these franchises available and it is the biggest sport there is...LA is looking for a team..I bet there would be quite a few...

As far as thinking that makes no sense...why don't you try looking in the mirror???

i also like his support behind TO.....many here and even more on the outside pin the failures on TO....like JK said, he is being completely under utilized, through ineptness at the QB spot or Ineptness at the play calling spot.....TO is a threat and we are missing out on that.....

I agree wholeheartedly on this one.

Jim is on WGR now.... basically he thinks Ralph and Russ should bring in a name guy who has been there / done that.

Some of Jim's take...

-Don't take another chance on a newbie.

- Ralph is getting old, swallowed a big contract and just needs to bite the bullet and pay a big name

- Trent is a nice guy, he likes Trent but the Bills need to move on from him.

- Russ Brandon is very frustrated and wants to do what's right for the fans and the city. He wants a winner and knows what it takes.

I find it interesting (and somewhat disturbing) that Jim thinks the Russ Brandon should stay (at least that's what I get from this comment).

I hope to God that Jim isn't in Ralph's ear on this one.

Russ SHOULD stay. He's not the one making the decisions on the player/personnel side. As long as he sticks to the business-side, I am psyched for him to stay.

The most important thing we need to keep the Bills in Buffalo is to maximize revenues - both at 1BD and away from it. Russ has done a great job of keeping the franchise viable.

I agree with the other posts - Brandon knows that his job is way easier when the fans buy in, and we all want a vet with a proven track record. Now - if he can convince RW of that is another story...

Always have had a problem with these kind of comments.

Do I think Buffalo is Miami or LA? No. But players not coming to Buffalo has 0 to do with the weather. That is just a dumbass comment.

Players go to Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay, and Indianapolis. None of these cities are huge markets, they are all small cities, 2 of the cities play in extremely cold weather, 2 of these cities are dying fast, they all have extremely loyal fanbases..... but the biggest thing they have in common is they WIN.

If you win, you could play anywhere. Just look at the Pats. The Pats were in a huge market for football and it wasn't until they produced a winning team that players sought out going there.

Dumb comment from Mort.

I agree with this. I don't why it's always Buffalo that gets singled out with the "it's cold all the time there" stuff. To your list I'll add Cleveland, Minnesota and Denver. It's fuggin cold as hell in these places, too....so what?!! Besides, a lot of these guys live in other places and are only really in town during the season. In July and August, Buffalo is hot just like it is anywhere else. From September thru the beginning of November, you have one of the most BEAUTIFUL places in the country for taking in the Autumn scenery. December and January? Yep, cold as SH*T! But who cares?? You're getting paid millions of dollars and you'll be back home missing out on the worst part of the Buffalo winter anyway.