Tailgate Question

DasNootz

I was thinknig of deep frying some turkey this weekend, and I wasn't sure if fryers are allowed in the stadium parking lots... Anyone know?

Just be carefull, I would dump the grease out at the stadium I dont care if it is a biohazard or not. Last year for the Cleveland Monday night game we deep fried a turkey. Turned out great. I wanted to dump the grease out at the stadium but a couple of the girls that were in our tailgate talked me out of it saying there is no place to dump it. Well I get home at about 1:00 in the morning, loaded out of my mind & as I was unloading the truck I accidently spilled the fryer & grease all over my driveway. The wife was none too happy. With the help of some nice advice from cincy, I got the grease off, but it took several weekend of scrubbing it. The moral of the story, dump the grease out at the stadium let Wilson & the circle jerks worry about it.

Just be carefull, I would dump the grease out at the stadium I dont care if it is a biohazard or not. Last year for the Cleveland Monday night game we deep fried a turkey. Turned out great. I wanted to dump the grease out at the stadium but a couple of the girls that were in our tailgate talked me out of it saying there is no place to dump it. Well I get home at about 1:00 in the morning, loaded out of my mind & as I was unloading the truck I accidently spilled the fryer & grease all over my driveway. The wife was none too happy. With the help of some nice advice from cincy, I got the grease off, but it took several weekend of scrubbing it. The moral of the story, dump the grease out at the stadium let Wilson & the circle jerks worry about it.

HTF is vegetable or peanut oil a biohazard?????Am I missing something here? Might be nasty to just dump on the concrete, but I know I am not as "green"conscious as I should be

A couple of words to the unwised: dis placement

Every year we hear the story of the half drunk yahoo that starts their house on fire by deep frying a turket on their deck, but they fill the oil level too high, forgetting about displacement, and once that oil hits the flame....run for your life.

Before heading to the Ralph....at home. put the turkey in the empty deep fryer vessel, fill with water to the desired fill level for frying oil, remove turkey. Now you know how much oil to use. Wherever the water level is after removing the turkey is the level at which the oil will be before firing up the flame. BTW - use peanut oil. It's not too cheap, but get your money's worth and take a couple of turkeys and then after those are finished, do some wings in the same oil. Maybe even a whole chicken or two.

If the temerature is right, a smaller-medium sized turkey will cook pretty fast - maybe ½ hour to 45 minutes. Take fryer thermometer with you. If you didn't get one with the deep fryer, you can get them at Home Depot. They clip rigth onto the side of the fryer. While you and the gang are devouring the first one, get another turkey going. Well worth it.

I still enjoy a nice oven roasted bird, but the deep fried ones are pretty damn good too. If you don't fry the shiit out of it, you'll find it to be really moist and tasty.

Now, about grease.....

Throw it on your lawn or some nearby fields near the stadium. I'm not kidding. It won't cause any harm and it's 100% biodegradable. Really!

Better still, bring a spare plastic receptacle and give it to someone in the lot who can use it for biofuel in their diesel vehicle. Why not?

HTF is vegetable or peanut oil a biohazard?????Am I missing something here? Might be nasty to just dump on the concrete, but I know I am not as "green"conscious as I should be

I was trying to make a joke. I guess I will try harder next time.

BTW - use peanut oil. It's not too cheap, but get your money's worth and take a couple of turkeys and then after those are finished, do some wings in the same oil.

Just remember some people have peanut allergies and can not eat anything that was fried in peanut oil.

I got one of these for my birthday a couple years ago.

http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/product_...ductSeriesID=95

At first I didn't think I would be very impressed with it, but after brining and then cooking a couple turkeys in this thing, I love it and to be honest you really can't tell the difference between a deep fried one and one cooked with infrared heat.

Probably too late to get one for this weekend, but it's a great investment and you don't have to deal with the oil situation.

Brine the turkey overnight before frying it regardless of the method you use. :doh:

http://bbq.about.com/cs/turkey/a/aa110103a.htm

I'll tell you one thing, there's alot worse things spilled in the stadium parking lot.

On another note, one time I went on a bus trip to a Bills game. There was problem with the bus company so we ended up with two of these airport type shuttle busses, but only one with a toilet. Well since the bus is half the size, the toilet is sized appropriately. But still had 45 people or so using it. By the time the game ended, it was full within 1/2 inch of the top, and no longer usable. On the way back from the game, the driver pulled over on 219, the second bus pulled up behind to kind of shield the view from passing cars. Driver got out and pulled the cork.

Imagine finding that on the side of the road. People probalby were reporting big foot was in the area.

PS Enjoy the turkey!!

At first I didn't think I would be very impressed with it, but after brining and then cooking a couple turkeys in this thing, I love it and to be honest you really can't tell the difference between a deep fried one and one cooked with infrared heat.

Probably too late to get one for this weekend, but it's a great investment and you don't have to deal with the oil situation.

Brine the turkey overnight before frying it regardless of the method you use. :doh:

Good call. Highly recommend brining. A process that's too often neglected when it comes to cooking big birds.

Brining is a great do-ahead that can really bring out the most of your fowl. "They" even sell some brining pot-pourri kinda mixtures, but they're sometimes kind of pricey.

You can use Apple juice mixed with water ( 3or 4 quarts AJ, 1 qt water) and Kosher Salt about 2 cups . add some pepper corns and some thyne or whatever spices you like.

soak the turkey for 24 hours in a bucket that will fit in the fridge.

you will have the juiciest turkey ever, fried or baked. I have been doing it for a few years and it makes the dark meat taste wonderful .

Just remember some people have peanut allergies and can not eat anything that was fried in peanut oil.

Recent phenomenon. On any given day when I attended grade/high school, my guess is that 60% were downing PBJ sandwiches for lunch.

If there were reactions, all we kids would have known about it. I attended school when polio affliction was a big, big thing. If peanut allergies were out there, they were off the radar by a long shot. The nation's parents then would have correctly rallied in same fashion against polio and spoken up big time. But they didn't.

What changed?

Make sure if it is as dry as possible and if it's a frozen turkey it is totally defrosted.

If it is overly wet, or has remnant ice chunks in it, when it hits the oil it can bubble

over the side. Bubbling over the side can cause a fire, and hence an overdone turkey.

Otherwise, just put it in slowly and you should be fine. Second best turkey I've ever

had, garbage can turkey being the best.

Brine the turkey overnight before frying it regardless of the method you use. :unsure:

That turkey cooker looks great. I may have to get one for thanksgiving!

Recent phenomenon. On any given day when I attended grade/high school, my guess is that 60% were downing PBJ sandwiches for lunch.

If there were reactions, all we kids would have known about it. I attended school when polio affliction was a big, big thing. If peanut allergies were out there, they were off the radar by a long shot. The nation's parents then would have correctly rallied in same fashion against polio and spoken up big time. But they didn't.

What changed?

Chemicals in the food.

Make sure if it is as dry as possible and if it's a frozen turkey it is totally defrosted.

If it is overly wet, or has remnant ice chunks in it, when it hits the oil it can bubble

over the side. Bubbling over the side can cause a fire, and hence an overdone turkey.

Otherwise, just put it in slowly and you should be fine. Second best turkey I've ever

had, garbage can turkey being the best.

NOTHING tops a garbage can turkey.

That turkey cooker looks great. I may have to get one for thanksgiving!

I believe my wife got mine at Lowes? They were a little pricey three years ago when I got, but the cost may have gone down now that they are a couple years old.

I can't see how they are not. One time I was with my brother at the game and some guys were looking for firewood foir their bonfire after the game... My brother unloaded an old pallet (he was gonna get rid of it anyway) he had in the bed of his truck... Let me say, our Bills' brothers were deeply obliged by the gesture... Let me just say:

...And then Georgie would make the fire lights,

As it was logwood burnin' through the nights...

:wallbash:

Gotta love the tailgating experience!

:unsure:

What changed?

A lot. Sorry for standing in the way of your rant. :unsure:

...Nancy Wiebe, leader of the Calgary Allergy Network says, “In my opinion, the higher incidence may be due to higher consumption of peanuts and nuts (just look in your cupboard), better diagnosis and awareness, and a willingness to "let it be known" to others. I have met many adults who have anaphylactic allergies who were told when they were young not to say anything to others lest they stand out. Health problems were not as openly discussed as they are today. People didn't want to "rock the boat".

Peanut butter is the champion of comfort food. So how did comfort turn so lethal? Some note that the immune system is seemingly a busybody in need of something to do. For instance, allergies are most common in areas where traditional childhood diseases have been eradicated.

“The immune system is like a balance,” says Dr. Sicherer, “On one side are allergies and on the other are infections. When one side is fighting bacterial infections, the other side making allergies is quiet. For instance, since we vaccinate people, they have less polio and diphtheria. But some studies suggest now that the immune system isn’t fighting all these bacteria and viruses, the side that causes allergy is causing more trouble.”

In Britain, Southampton University’s Dr. John Warner issued a statement: "The increase in allergy generally may be explained by better hygiene. Fetuses used to respond to parasites present in the maternal blood. Now that these have been eliminated they are reacting to other things in the blood, such as antigens."...

Why Peanuts, Why Now? How did the innocuous peanut butter sandwich turn so deadly.

I'll tell you one thing, there's alot worse things spilled in the stadium parking lot.

On another note, one time I went on a bus trip to a Bills game. There was problem with the bus company so we ended up with two of these airport type shuttle busses, but only one with a toilet. Well since the bus is half the size, the toilet is sized appropriately. But still had 45 people or so using it. By the time the game ended, it was full within 1/2 inch of the top, and no longer usable. On the way back from the game, the driver pulled over on 219, the second bus pulled up behind to kind of shield the view from passing cars. Driver got out and pulled the cork.

Imagine finding that on the side of the road. People probalby were reporting big foot was in the area.

PS Enjoy the turkey!!

Reminds me of the Dave Matthews Band tour bus dumping on the Wendella when crossing the Chicago River! Hey, they don't call it The **** Ditch for nothing!

:wallbash::unsure::wallbash: